Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Combat is moving in the wrong direction

12346»

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited April 2023
    Solvryn wrote: »
    (Regarding fantasy vs realism)I get that! I got plenty of friends that are more into realism. I myself am a fantasy fantast so I lean more towards the other end (although I am not a fan of super flashy stuff).
    I'm glad some of you guys liked Ranger. I'm a bit more of a traditionalist and literal. Ranger is an outdoor survivalist, seemed more like a physical nature mage.

It seems to me they're still in the drawing board stage of classes, I hope nothing is solidified yet.

I'd like to see Ashes put the envelope in combat as most MMOs dont even try to attempt it.

I like both! I think GW2 makes for a good ranger archerype. But I am all for choice, more physical stuff for those who like that, and more druidic connection for those who like that!

Like, a ranger/fighter or ranger/thief should be mostly physical. Poison, mud camouflage, traps, pure physical endurance... (DnD sub class references: hunter, monster slayer)

And a ranger/mage, ranger/bars etc should be more nature magic in their arsenal. (DnD sub class references: fey wanderer, swarm keeper, arcane archer ((not ranger, but it should be!)))

In other words, why not both!

I actually like GW2s ranger a bit more at the moment. I could be a full melee ranger and that's where its at for me.

IMO if a game has ranger as a class, there should be the option of full range or full melee.

Some people mistakenly think the class name ranger comes from them being a ranged class. That isnt true, it comes from the notion of a ranger protecting a forest or similar.

As such, the use of a bow makes absolute sense, but so too does the heavy use of melee combat (long range combat in a sense forest is kinda hard).
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Noaani wrote: »
    (Regarding fantasy vs realism)I get that! I got plenty of friends that are more into realism. I myself am a fantasy fantast so I lean more towards the other end (although I am not a fan of super flashy stuff).
    I'm glad some of you guys liked Ranger. I'm a bit more of a traditionalist and literal. Ranger is an outdoor survivalist, seemed more like a physical nature mage.

It seems to me they're still in the drawing board stage of classes, I hope nothing is solidified yet.

I'd like to see Ashes put the envelope in combat as most MMOs dont even try to attempt it.

I like both! I think GW2 makes for a good ranger archerype. But I am all for choice, more physical stuff for those who like that, and more druidic connection for those who like that!

Like, a ranger/fighter or ranger/thief should be mostly physical. Poison, mud camouflage, traps, pure physical endurance... (DnD sub class references: hunter, monster slayer)

And a ranger/mage, ranger/bars etc should be more nature magic in their arsenal. (DnD sub class references: fey wanderer, swarm keeper, arcane archer ((not ranger, but it should be!)))

In other words, why not both!

I actually like GW2s ranger a bit more at the moment. I could be a full melee ranger and that's where its at for me.

IMO if a game has ranger as a class, there should be the option of full range or full melee.

Some people mistakenly think the class name ranger comes from them being a ranged class. That isnt true, it comes from the notion of a ranger protecting a forest or similar.

As such, the use of a bow makes absolute sense, but so too does the heavy use of melee combat (long range combat in a sense forest is kinda hard).

Yup. I am not a fan of tying classes to weapons. Makes the game weird for me.
  • Options
    peksipeksi Member
    Combat is still missing the collision model and swords are swinging thru opponents like thin air. If the collisions are hard to do the at least make it feel like there are collisions by making the target move tilt back, lose balance, fall down etc.

Combat can make or break this game.
  • Options
    peksi wrote: »
    Combat is still missing the collision model and swords are swinging thru opponents like thin air. If the collisions are hard to do the at least make it feel like there are collisions by making the target move tilt back, lose balance, fall down etc.

Combat can make or break this game.

??? All mmorpgs swords go through people...
  • Options
    Ashes action combat looks a lot like Crowfalls. Hopefully it works a wee bit better.