Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

At What Point of Player-Inactivity Should Legendary/Limited Items Re-Drop?

TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Member
edited May 2023 in General Discussion
There's a good former discussion from last year about the quantity of Legendary Items, here:

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/51931/discussion-on-the-quantity-of-legendary-items-in-circulation/p1

If a player, receives a 1-per-server Legendary drop, what amount of time should pass for that player to have not logged in, before it's available, again?

From the wiki:

"There are absolutely legendary items and they're not items that are attained easily nor are they granted out in a volume. There might even be items that are single items that will exist on the server at any given time."

"The fact there is only one of them... or very very few of them depending on what it is. I think that in and of itself is a balance component right and you need to make sure that the players who are striving for those legendary things and who are devoting the time energy, resources in order to achieve them are accurately rewarded... We do not intend on having legendary items that are temporary.

Yours truly is to argue 30 days of inactivity should be the cut-off for the 1-per-server drops. Some items will be "limited"-quantity, and should probably have a longer cooldown - like 60 days.

Have never played an MMO that had such a mechanic (or - at the very least, *I* never received such an item, in playing such an MMO). Has anyone seen any MMO's that use this mechanic? What were that game's cooldowns?

Comments

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would say 180 days.
    Sometimes life happens and you are forced to step away from all non important stuff to handle what truly matters. Would kinda of suck to work hard and get a one of a kind of item to have life kick you in the teeth to then return just to be kicked again.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    I would say 180 days.
    Sometimes life happens and you are forced to step away from all non important stuff to handle what truly matters. Would kinda of suck to work hard and get a one of a kind of item to have life kick you in the teeth to then return just to be kicked again.

Well, to clarify, I'm not suggesting that the inactive player LOSE the item; But if they haven't played long enough, it does feel wrong to let a 1/server item be monopolized by someone whom may never return to the game.

6 months can feel like an eternity in a game, though, @bloodprophet

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would say 180 days.

Well, to clarify, I'm not suggesting that the inactive player LOSE the item; But if they haven't played long enough, it does feel wrong to let a 1/server item be monopolized by someone whom may never return to the game.

6 months can feel like an eternity in a game, though, @bloodprophet

If you didn't know something didn't exist how long would you be willing to wait for it so show up?
    Most players will never see it nevermind knowing who has it and if they log in or not.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am in favor of at least 180 days. My work often takes me overseas for more than a month, so 30 days is quite short in my opinion.

But that made me think. What about someone in the military who is unexpectedly deployed to some remote area overseas for a year or more? She or he should not be punished for fulfilling their commitment. What about a Ukranian citizen suddenly drafted into defense of their country? Again, I think it would be inappropriate to deprive them of their unique item just for our amusement.
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    I am in favor of at least 180 days. My work often takes me overseas for more than a month, so 30 days is quite short in my opinion.

But that made me think. What about someone in the military who is unexpectedly deployed to some remote area overseas for a year or more? She or he should not be punished for fulfilling their commitment. What about a Ukranian citizen suddenly drafted into defense of their country? Again, I think it would be inappropriate to deprive them of their unique item just for our amusement.

Well, on the flip side of the coin: Should *we* be deprived of the opportunity to loot a 1/server item, because someone who previously looted it has IRL obligations?

It's not taking the item from them; it just seems like if they've been inactive LONG enough that the item should re-drop, after some point in time. Why should an inactive player (i.e. they died in a car crash 2 years prior) be able to infinitely monopolize a 1/server item?

• Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    That is a hard one..Having left an MMORPG for 6-12 months and returned on more than a couple of times there was always an expectation that my gear would be intact.

6 months sounds about fair. but I guess there needs to be absolute clarity up front for this to not backfire.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm on the side that it should never re-drop.

I think it should be like the original ahn'qiraj gate style. If you missed out on ringing that gong then you missed out.
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm also against re-drops. I had hoped for a list of who achieved these one time legendaries too.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Considering how truly rare these items are expected to be, I'd prefer if Intrepid had a system where the owner of the item gets an email after 60 days of inactivity. The email just requires you to confirm that you plan on going back to the game. And confirmation gives you another 30 days of waiting w/o the item being removed.

It also doesn't have to be an email. It could be a notification in the mobile app, or an sms or any other kind of notification that's available to Intrepid. Preferably all of the above as options.

Of course we might have some "troll" who keeps the weapon for themselves even if they're not planning to go back, but I just refuse to believe that there are trolls who'd be willing to go that fucking far in a game (considering the difficulty of obtaining that kind of item) just to fuck ANOTHER RANDOM SINGLE PERSON over. And if there are - well, "it is what it is".
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think leggos shouldn’t be permanent and on a quarterly cycle. It’s selfish to deprive others at an opportunity for a legendary because real life hits.

• Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Honestly i don't even think it should be a month or 60 days. If it is truly a unique rare item that is powerful, etc. That should be a 2 week thing. I don't believe these items should be held for a long period of time, they are special but when someone has it you know they will try to make moves on the server do to the increase in power compared to normal items.

These items shouldn't be viewed as your gear but more in mind set a long term buff it just so happens to be weapon, armor, ring and equip able.

It will help peoples view point on it and how they see the item, wars might even start do tot heir desire to use it in pvp and have enough time to get a siege going with 1 week prep time for the highest level sieges or whatever the time frame would be.

They thought of someone able to hold onto a weapon for half a year honestly seems absurd and more of a collector item. Depriving more people from getting to get the item and be able to have the power and to use it. Half a year means 10 times in a server over 5 years of game play different people get to use it. Things shouldn't be horded and more people should be given a chance to get such kinds of gear. And fixes the issue if someone is inactive they won't be denying a large chunk of the games life span.
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2023
    I dont support redrops. I think single entity items should only ever redrop if they actually break.

Its one item. Its selfish to argue someone else should not get to keep it when they earned it first.

Its one thing if picking it up, the item comes with a timer. Like the raid level mount eggs. I should never log in and find items that did not have an active timer already ticking has been taken from me.
  • Options

Well, on the flip side of the coin: Should *we* be deprived of the opportunity to loot a 1/server item, because someone who previously looted it has IRL obligations?

[/i]

Yes. They beat you to it, you lost. Thats how losing is.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member

[/i]

Yes. They beat you to it, you lost. Thats how losing is.

Unless a ai is generating rare items constantly that are one time drops that is not how a game should be letting a player hold onto it. Both lead to balancing nightmares.

A legendary items should not be viewed the same as gear you craft / enhance etc. On top of that if people can't swallow that understand I also feel there should be another item slot you put the legendary item on and it acts as a buff / skin that is a limited time thing like 2 weeks. (this allows these drops to be consistent power boost from day 1 or year 5)

Thinking you picked up a legendary item and you are the only one that gets to use it forever or insane amounts of time honestly sounds like a waste of development time because everyone wants to be edgy and the main character. You need to look past your own bias this is a game after all, all gameplay should make sense and not just be thrown in there.
  • Options
    Crafted legendaries exist. To my mind this is a fomo topic and people are salty about lacking the ability to get a unique legendary.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited May 2023
    Ya I'm talking about only the special legendary (they should have a different name like heroic artifact ) that only one of it can exist.

@Neurath I wouldn't say its a fear of missing out when you are talking about gear that will give you a substantial boost to your stats beyond normal.
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »

Unless a ai is generating rare items constantly that are one time drops that is not how a game should be letting a player hold onto it. Both lead to balancing nightmares.

Balancing nightmares? The thread is about people being offline losing their 1/server items for being offline.

How is something not being used in game a balancing nightmare?
  • Options
    I'd rather have a tailor made legendary full set of gear than a unique legendary...
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Neurath wrote: »
    I'd rather have a tailor made legendary full set of gear than a unique legendary...

Exactly. The way i see unique legendaries is as a collectors item.... or just as a way of making interesting individuals on the server.

If they have durability, like all the weapons and armor. And cant be repaired, because they are unique.

Then use it and be powerful untill you're killed a few times. And lose it. Or hang it on your wall and think "look at me, i got the thing"
  • Options

Thinking you picked up a legendary item and you are the only one that gets to use it forever or insane amounts of time honestly sounds like a waste of development time because everyone wants to be edgy and the main character. You need to look past your own bias this is a game after all, all gameplay should make sense and not just be thrown in there.

Im not saying it can be USED for forever. Gear has durability. And i dont beleive unique gear can be repaired.

Im saying it can be held onto for forever. If i never equip it. If i never use it. It is a collectors item, and i beat you to it.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    @PenguinPaladin

I am talking about legendary items where there is only one of it on the server, not all legendary gear would only have 1 of on the server. I highly doubt this is going to be sets (though they could you just never would have the full set).

Im not talking about pure legendary skins that do 0 for your stats. I am talking about gear. That means it affects your stats and legendary should be the bis gear. Legendary gear that drops that is unique only having one on the server id expect that to be a one up normal legendary meaning it is going to have a big impact on gear.

With the mmorpg having heavy pvp, that is a serious issue for balance with itemization and builds. It make be fine to have a fun power fantasy but that shouldn't be a permanent thing for one player.

• Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited May 2023

Im not saying it can be USED for forever. Gear has durability. And i dont beleive unique gear can be repaired.

Im saying it can be held onto for forever. If i never equip it. If i never use it. It is a collectors item, and i beat you to it.

That is silly, and simply hording gear so other players can't get it. Effective you could get to 5% durability and never let it cycle out. There should be purpose for different branches of gear. Ones like this should not have that kind of purpose so sit there forever just to say you have it.

Legendary skins can be cool and should be based on achievements if they want to put stuff like that in the game where you can have forever and show it off. Not gear that effects stats with a purpose meant for giving you more power.

*edit i only way around that is it becomes a broken version you can't do any content with it but simply show it off and it doesn't look as interesting cause it is in a broken state.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    @PenguinPaladin

I am talking about legendary items where there is only one of it on the server, not all legendary gear would only have 1 of on the server. I highly doubt this is going to be sets (though they could you just never would have the full set).

Im not talking about pure legendary skins that do 0 for your stats. I am talking about gear. That means it affects your stats and legendary should be the bis gear. Legendary gear that drops that is unique only having one on the server id expect that to be a one up normal legendary meaning it is going to have a big impact on gear.

With the mmorpg having heavy pvp, that is a serious issue for balance with itemization and builds. It make be fine to have a fun power fantasy but that shouldn't be a permanent thing for one player.

It is not a permanent thing for one player. As ive said 3 times now, when the weapon or gear BREAKS DUE TO DURABILITY. Someone else can get it.

You cant tell me my charater is overpowered and its unfair to other people that i own a nuclear bomb, that i use to prop my door open.

Answer this:
    If the gear is not being used, why should it be taken from the owner?
  • Options
    An inactive dude or dudette with a unique legendary isn't going to be doing any pvp. An active dude or dudette won't want to give up a unique legendary - someone will pay a lot of gold for one. I hope one drops so I can sell it.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    @PenguinPaladin

It is not a permanent thing for one player. As ive said 3 times now, when the weapon or gear BREAKS DUE TO DURABILITY. Someone else can get it.

You cant tell me my charater is overpowered and its unfair to other people that i own a nuclear bomb, that i use to prop my door open.

Answer this:
    If the gear is not being used, why should it be taken from the owner?

If you aren't using it you don't lose durability and like i said above you can horde it.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

If you aren't using it you don't lose durability and like i said above you can horde it.

Now how does hording one item negativly impact the population at large?
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member

Now how does hording one item negativly impact the population at large?

The purpose of the gear is not being used and dis allows its impact to be used on the server.

If gear gives a strong stat increase it is meant to give you an advantage in the gear. If a item only gives a skin then it is only meant to be shown off.

Effectively it won't be shown much since they won't use it (risk dying with it) which is a contradiction to the purpose of the gear.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    But with AoC's balancing around group fights instead of 1v1s, that impact is reduced almost completely. Well, that is if the legendary unique stuff is not just x2-5 times stronger than the next best thing, which I fucking hope it's not.

L2 had legendary jewelry that, at release of its bosses, only a select few people would have. Its impact on any given big fight would be very arguable. Maybe a few aoes here and there took out an additional person or two, but when you're talking about hundreds vs hundreds with guild-sized rezzes - those few additional kills really don't matter.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    NiKr wrote: »
    But with AoC's balancing around group fights instead of 1v1s, that impact is reduced almost completely. Well, that is if the legendary unique stuff is not just x2-5 times stronger than the next best thing, which I fucking hope it's not.

L2 had legendary jewelry that, at release of its bosses, only a select few people would have. Its impact on any given big fight would be very arguable. Maybe a few aoes here and there took out an additional person or two, but when you're talking about hundreds vs hundreds with guild-sized rezzes - those few additional kills really don't matter.

I think we are vastly underestimating the boost one might have (i don't expect even a 2x increase) . Id say for example maybe on a weapon they get 30% more damage higher that a normal legendary pretty much with some special effects on it.

Good players can have immense impacts in all forms of pvp small and large scale. It isn't about one person being the reason why they won but the impact they have that can lead towards more wins.

ie Lets say a top teir player can drop 80 kills in a war but the effect of the item and damage increase works out to him about to get another 50 kills with his 80 do to his damage being more fatal under circumstances along with his team working with him. Giving him like 130 kills for a war instead.

Of course you can say a top player doesn't have it and a average player has it but still gives them large edges in fights pretty much allowing him to win a lot as long as he is somewhat competition do to the bonus.

Or perhaps there is a meta that is somewhat strong (not completely broken) and the item helps push that meta into a broken stage and it before very hard to win against fights with him in a group.

Personally if you get a one time unique it should be a decent power buff, of course you aren't winning a war solo and it wont be effective if you don't know what you are doing. But 2 week timeframe is plenty to experience it while giving a larger amount of people a chance to get the weapon and have some kind of impact to their content. When i see people saying they should have it for half a year effectively i see hopium they are the ones that get it when most likely no one here will get one.

Again my own preference in how to tackle the design (not that this will be done) but these one time unique shouldn't be linked to just end game content. But maybe a lucky lvl 15 will get one. And with the idea of it being a separate item slot (or type of buff with a skin) it allows the item to again be something that is beneficial day 1 - year 5. While respecting your current gear and buffing that. (else if it is bis gear it should be equal to the best chanced gear and more else it is just trash gear for looks and legendary gear is a meme)

Thinking the last part it might be more than double power then if it is going about that way, depending where you are on the gear journey.
  • Options
    SpifSpif Member
    I'm all for Unique-Legendaries not having any more power (ilvl, whatever) than other legendaries.

The server-first kill of Mr WorldBoss gives out the Unique drops that have a special effect. Later kills of him give low RNG chances of items with the same exact stats, but no special effect. Unique in look, not in power.