Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

At What Point of Player-Inactivity Should Legendary/Limited Items Re-Drop?

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I'm kind of ignoring most of the discussion that hads happened in this thread, and going back to the original question.

IMO, 180 days inactivity is all good, but 30 days without subscription should also trigger the item going back to the loot table.

The reason for this is simple. If you have a unique legendary item, it is something that your guild earned and entrusted you with. Essentially, it is guild property that you have current possession of.

If you are going to be away from the game for a few weeks, you would probably want to hand that item off to someone else in your guild. You are not going to take a 6 month sabbatical from the game without handing that literal-best-item-in-the-game-that-there-is-only-one-of-on-the-server-that-your-entire-guild-helped-obtain-and-then-entrusted-you-with to someone else in your guild.

Any player with such an item still in their I inventory rhhatvis unsubscribed from the game for 30 months probably had a falling out with their guild, and likely wont ever be back.

A few people here are probably thinking something like "I'd never hand an item like that back to my guild if I was leaving the game for an extended period".

To this, I have two comments. The first is that you probably aren't ever going to be in a guild that is capable of getting an item like this.

Second, if you are in such a guild, the above attitude will see you excluded from potential running for an item such as this. Such an item will be given to the most suited player that the guilds leadership fully trusts - and anyone with the above view wont have that full trust.
  • Options
    VissoxVissox Member
    I think that the legendary items should disappear after 6 months to a year, at which point an in-game global announcement should be made that the item is acquireable again.

I think there should be a title in the game that might read such as "Wielder of *item*" so when players lose it, it will ease the sting of no longer having your awesome legendary item because you still have something to point at and say you had it once.

As cool as it sounds in theory, I don't think players should be able to have server unique items, unless they are tied to some event all players had an opportunity to acquire.

Not all players will acquire legendary items, but I dislike the hopelessness of " oh well as long as this guy never logs off I will never own this" spoiler, the guy will never log off. I wouldn't.
  • Options
    VissoxVissox Member
    NiKr wrote: »
    Of course we might have some "troll" who keeps the weapon for themselves even if they're not planning to go back, but I just refuse to believe that there are trolls who'd be willing to go that fucking far in a game (considering the difficulty of obtaining that kind of item) just to fuck ANOTHER RANDOM SINGLE PERSON over. And if there are - well, "it is what it is".
    This is exactly what people will do. It's not even trolling, who would ever give up a 1 per server legendary item. Read my previous comment I think it's a much better system.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited May 2023
    How did i miss this comment. Anyone who wants to have a legendary for half a year and will keep it in their house and not use it are all in the same boat. People will troll and try to collect all them as a joke. Ninja looters can not be under estimated when drama can be involved lmao.

Step one - find a higher up int he guild having issues
    Step 2 - become friends with them
    step 3 - get them to ninja loot legendary item off their guildy.
    Step 4 use it int he war and win as a troll
    Step 5- never use it again for the rest of the entire game and meme on that guild until the end of time so no one else can ever get that legendary item.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Vissox wrote: »
    This is exactly what people will do. It's not even trolling, who would ever give up a 1 per server legendary item. Read my previous comment I think it's a much better system.
    For a reasonable person who has literally no plans of returning to the game - I see no reason why they'd keep the item. And if they have even the slightest thought of "eh, I might return so I'll keep it", then I'd be completely on their side, because to me that would be a cool in-game story.

A legendary player that has an incredible item and is well-known on their server leaves the game for whatever reason. Say, a year passes and that player returns back to the game. Anyone who's been playing a long time would see that item and know its history and be like "oh damn, you're that one guy who got it, nice to see you're back". And anyone around would immediately know that this is a very strong player, because no weak one coulda gotten the item.

Hell, I'd prefer if Intrepid made a small in-game lore line about a "missing hero with a legendary item" (as long as the player confirmed the thing I mentioned). I know that I will most likely never get this kind of item, but the story related to it would be way more valuable to me.

Only the highest of copium addicts would be behind the "GET THE ITEM BACK WITHIN A DAY OF THAT PLAYER NOT PLAYING". Yall never gonna get it! Get over yourself B)
  • Options
    SunboySunboy Member
    If it’s a one per server item etc then I think IS should try to get in contact and ask for circumstances.

Much love ❤️
  • Options
    NemesesNemeses Member
    There's a good former discussion from last year about the quantity of Legendary Items, here:

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/51931/discussion-on-the-quantity-of-legendary-items-in-circulation/p1

If a player, receives a 1-per-server Legendary drop, what amount of time should pass for that player to have not logged in, before it's available, again?

From the wiki:

"There are absolutely legendary items and they're not items that are attained easily nor are they granted out in a volume. There might even be items that are single items that will exist on the server at any given time."

"The fact there is only one of them... or very very few of them depending on what it is. I think that in and of itself is a balance component right and you need to make sure that the players who are striving for those legendary things and who are devoting the time energy, resources in order to achieve them are accurately rewarded... We do not intend on having legendary items that are temporary.

Yours truly is to argue 30 days of inactivity should be the cut-off for the 1-per-server drops. Some items will be "limited"-quantity, and should probably have a longer cooldown - like 60 days.

Have never played an MMO that had such a mechanic (or - at the very least, *I* never received such an item, in playing such an MMO). Has anyone seen any MMO's that use this mechanic? What were that game's cooldowns?

So you and the Devs are saying, they want to reward those who can play 10 hours a day because they either live off mummy n daddy, or the state.

Cracking!
    The Immortals
    • We Lived a Thousand Lives, United we Stand.
    • Recruitment
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Nemeses wrote: »
    So you and the Devs are saying, they want to reward those who can play 10 hours a day because they either live off mummy n daddy, or the state.

Cracking!
    10? :D ain't no 10-hour pleb getting those items :D
  • Options
    SweatycupSweatycup Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    When your subscription runs out. Because servers aint free.
  • Options
    GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2023
    I don't think any legendary, 1 per server item should be owned by a single person, because that leaves those items locked away forever. Even if someone doesn't log back on ever again, they can just sell the account for an insane amount of money, and that's the kind of RMT that's hardest to counter.

Legendary items should be "owned" by a guild or a node and then lent ro some member. Then if the guild loses during a guild war or some other significant event, the legendary item is part of the spoils. That way you can have the legendary items exchange hands frequently via PvP without having to worry about someone being afk for months or RMTing to own the account specifically for that weapon.

Basically, legendary weapons should be a kind of pseudo-relic: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Relics#:~:text=Relics are achievements for a,in certain legendary quest lines.
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Goalid wrote: »
    I don't think any legendary, 1 per server item should be owned by a single person, because that leaves those items locked away forever. Even if someone doesn't log back on ever again, they can just sell the account for an insane amount of money, and that's the kind of RMT that's hardest to counter.

Legendary items should be "owned" by a guild or a node and then lent ro some member. Then if the guild loses during a guild war or some other significant event, the legendary item is part of the spoils. That way you can have the legendary items exchange hands frequently via PvP without having to worry about someone being afk for months or RMTing to own the account specifically for that weapon.

Basically, legendary weapons should be a kind of pseudo-relic: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Relics#:~:text=Relics are achievements for a,in certain legendary quest lines.

This is the only other idea id be for if ti wasn't on a 2 week cycle. Id say more belong to the node and guild though. And it would set up for when node is destroyed weapon is now back in the pool of being obtained again.
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't think they should. That item is legendary and it is now gone forever. That doesn't mean a new item could not take it's place.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There's a persistent dichotomy of dropped gear being BiS. I'm not certain that crafted gear by a master crafter won't be equal to them too. I don't want to share my loot.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Neurath wrote: »
    There's a persistent dichotomy of dropped gear being BiS. I'm not certain that crafted gear by a master crafter won't be equal to them too. I don't want to share my loot.
    This is exactly why I want unique legendaries be just a few OE steps above the safe limit dmg values of a normal legendary. This way people can still get to the same power lvl through resource investment, even if the additional effect (if there will even be one) of the unique item gives more "power".
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Fantmx wrote: »
    I don't think they should. That item is legendary and it is now gone forever. That doesn't mean a new item could not take it's place.

Are you suggesting they need to make new weapons and never use the previous legendary anymore for players to get?
  • Options
    This is exactly why I want unique legendaries be just a few OE steps above the safe limit dmg values of a normal legendary. This way people can still get to the same power lvl through resource investment, even if the additional effect (if there will even be one) of the unique item gives more "power".

It makes no sense to boost a dropped legendary above safe levels of enchantment. That alone would be a big resource save. Otherwise, there would be less risk/reward for enchantment. I don't feel anyone should get a head start in enchantment.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Sunboy wrote: »
    If it’s a one per server item etc then I think IS should try to get in contact and ask for circumstances...

A bit of extra work for CSRs, but it does sound reasonable. If someone doesn't respond in so much time, it'd be reasonable to assume the item is good to go for another spawn.
    Nemeses wrote: »

Cracking!

What PART of what you quoted is to imply/infer this? This has to do with being gone from the game *entirely* for an extended length of time, while possessing an item that may be 1/server.
    Sweatycup wrote: »
    When your subscription runs out. Because servers aint free.

This seems to be a tad extreme - especially since life's unknowns can sometimes include not realizing that you've forgotten to update your payment options, when a credit card number changes. Yours truly couldn't back such a small amount of time, for a unique item to re-drop another copy.
    Goalid wrote: »
    I don't think any legendary, 1 per server item should be owned by a single person, because that leaves those items locked away forever....

....Legendary items should be "owned" by a guild or a node and then lent ro some member. Then if the guild loses during a guild war or some other significant event, the legendary item is part of the spoils. That way you can have the legendary items exchange hands frequently via PvP without having to worry about someone being afk for months or RMTing to own the account specifically for that weapon....

I like this idea, though that would exclude a contingency for un-guilded players, at least until they join a guild. A system like this would allow more a possibility for such items to change hands/remain obtainable by other players.

• Options
    There's a persistent dichotomy of dropped gear being BiS. I'm not certain that crafted gear by a master crafter won't be equal to them too....

Have been getting the impression from the Q&As that it'll be a combination of drops/re-crafting. I *hope* it will be.

Even if it end up working out to be drops, we'll still need crafted supplies for any O-E attempts.

• Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member

It makes no sense to boost a dropped legendary above safe levels of enchantment. That alone would be a big resource save. Otherwise, there would be less risk/reward for enchantment. I don't feel anyone should get a head start in enchantment.

It does make sense we are talking about a item on the server where there is only one of it that you are most likely doing some of the hardest or the hardest content in the game.

If something takes effort the gear you get from it will have to reflect it. If something is hard to get and gives no real bonuses it is a meme and dead gear / content.

If you do content and the worth is not equal to the xp debt and pvp involved people are less inclined to do it. We need to remember you aren't just picking up gear like this for nothing.

If there is no reason for this gear to be good stat wise then it simply should just be skins with less gear in the game to get for itemization. Or axe it all together and create more content for everyone to get.

Though i still feel like 2 week buff is best way to do it so people can't view it like their own gear and can relate their connection to it the same way as other games.
  • Options
    Not sure what you mean by re-crafting. If dropped gear is bis it goes against what the devs said about crafting and particular crafted legendaries. Some of these unique legendaries will come from instanced content. Its not conducive to pvx, contestation or risk/reward if those unique legendaries are bis and not on par with crafted legendaries.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Not sure what you mean by re-crafting. If dropped gear is bis it goes against what the devs said about crafting and particular crafted legendaries. Some of these unique legendaries will come from instanced content. Its not conducive to pvx, contestation or risk/reward if those unique legendaries are bis and not on par with crafted legendaries.

Things can be changed down the road from what is said when we are talking about something that is different than a normal legendary.

I 100% believe crafted stuff will be better in almost all instances, but I can't say that about items that there is only one of and effects it brings. This doesn't fall under the same category to me unless i hear that the only item on the server is weaker than other gear. Which then i can consider it a meme piece of gear and it doesn't matter.
    unique legendaries will come from instanced content.

This doesn't make sense to me, item that only one player on the server can have comes from instanced content? I've never heard this anywhere before? They have not said how or where you get these items.

Legendary gear, and unique legendary gear are two different pieces of gear to me, i don't view them in the same category again.
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »

Things can be changed down the road from what is said when we are talking about something that is different than a normal legendary.

I 100% believe crafted stuff will be better in almost all instances, but I can't say that about items that there is only one of and effects it brings. This doesn't fall under the same category to me unless i hear that the only item on the server is weaker than other gear. Which then i can consider it a meme piece of gear and it doesn't matter.

This doesn't make sense to me, item that only one player on the server can have comes from instanced content? I've never heard this anywhere before? They have not said how or where you get these items.

Legendary gear, and unique legendary gear are two different pieces of gear to me, i don't view them in the same category again.

Yeah, we're on the same page. To be blunt if the hardest content (Instanced Content) doesn't drop Unique Legendaries then I would rate Unique Legendaries to be even less than Crafted Legendaries. Both unique legendaries and crafted legendaries need resources from the hardest sources in the game. Last I heard Steven talk about Unique Legendaries, much of what was said related to skill effects, skin effects and the unique position of the item. Not about the item being the most powerful version in a given remit.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member

Yeah, we're on the same page. To be blunt if the hardest content (Instanced Content) doesn't drop Unique Legendaries then I would rate Unique Legendaries to be even less than Crafted Legendaries. Both unique legendaries and crafted legendaries need resources from the hardest sources in the game. Last I heard Steven talk about Unique Legendaries, much of what was said related to skill effects, skin effects and the unique position of the item. Not about the item being the most powerful version in a given remit.

Well only question to ask is what is the difference in stat power between a legendary and unique one. I based on that id expect there to be different rule sets..

If it ends up to not having more value to obtain than just being kind of a skin at end game honestly think there is a high chance people won't care about it. Meaning it won't be a constant thing that is developed over them adding legendary gear everyone can get and not uniques.

Like i said before if you have a team you aren't going to tie them up making gear only one person can use when you start having more dead lines and content you are trying to push out after release. Which most likely they will end up shrinking in size after full production with contracts ending.

And i can't view things as a consumer with this kind of stuff, for me it isn't realistic to spend time making very fancy gear over making more actual content in the game. People devour content and it is hard to even keep up with it as it is, creating gear that 99.999999 wont ever have feels a bit pointless. (This is if it has no impact and is like a skin or gear no one cares about.)
  • Options

Well only question to ask is what is the difference in stat power between a legendary and unique one. I based on that id expect there to be different rule sets..

If it ends up to not having more value to obtain than just being kind of a skin at end game honestly think there is a high chance people won't care about it. Meaning it won't be a constant thing that is developed over them adding legendary gear everyone can get and not uniques.

Like i said before if you have a team you aren't going to tie them up making gear only one person can use when you start having more dead lines and content you are trying to push out after release. Which most likely they will end up shrinking in size after full production with contracts ending.

And i can't view things as a consumer with this kind of stuff, for me it isn't realistic to spend time making very fancy gear over making more actual content in the game. People devour content and it is hard to even keep up with it as it is, creating gear that 99.999999 wont ever have feels a bit pointless. (This is if it has no impact and is like a skin or gear no one cares about.)

The thing about gear is, its not so much the having the gear that matters, its about the pursuit of the gear that matters. With a unique legendary i imagine the position is reversed. We don't know how expensive a crafted legendary will be, thus, a unique legendary could save a lot of hassle and work. If the unique legendary de-drops and goes back to source, if the source was instanced content, the same people will just get the drop again. Especially if the drop is tagged to guild and not a person.

I don't want to speak for the devs in terms of skins created or legendaries created or future plans for gear. However, if there is a demand for unique legendaries I imagine the devs will make changes or add more to the game. So long as the devs don't do a sony then everything should work out.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member

The thing about gear is, its not so much the having the gear that matters, its about the pursuit of the gear that matters. With a unique legendary i imagine the position is reversed. We don't know how expensive a crafted legendary will be, thus, a unique legendary could save a lot of hassle and work. If the unique legendary de-drops and goes back to source, if the source was instanced content, the same people will just get the drop again. Especially if the drop is tagged to guild and not a person.

I don't want to speak for the devs in terms of skins created or legendaries created or future plans for gear. However, if there is a demand for unique legendaries I imagine the devs will make changes or add more to the game. So long as the devs don't do a sony then everything should work out.

It be a demand never met because everyone would want one and no one could get them since none would be available.

Even if you try to view it as a drawing point to get people into the game or back on it once every certain amount of months and have everyone racing to get it. But it isn't a good sign for the game if that is their reason to play again. As those people would quit again once the one person got it.

Imo this reduces gear chase since someone will get it and than there is permanently less gear in the game to get. I say this because i see people arguing they should have a item forever, the perception of this the same as normal gear is the issue leading to that.

If these items were auto generated i might have a different view point on it.
  • Options
    Do you see anyone raging about chasing Royal Eggs? No one wants a Royal Egg unless its a random boon, especially since they now provide only gliders. The same will happen with Unique Legendaries if they are timed. There's a minimal call for timed legendaries, and, there is not a massive reason to make those legendaries timed.

We once had Jedi behind Holocrons and they were difficult to achieve in SWG. Sony complained the Jedi were too few in number and wanted more Jedi by Christmas. The whole procedure for acquiring Jedi was revamped and made easier. It made Jedi less sought and more achieved. It took the whole achievement and made it sour. Sony was still not happy and wanted to compete with WoW. Combat Upgrade 2 made Jedi a playable class and all the old jedi were given a simple title to compensate.

Making these legendaries so finite and making these legendaries into the single digits of ever being achieved is good for the population. It makes everyone want to reached the pinnacle of PvE. Otherwise, what is the point in single digit pve at the highest level? There is no reward there to show you are a single digit player.

No other gear gets destroyed or timed out. No one would want these unique legendaries. In BDO the Oasis Gear was excellent but on a timer. No one wanted it because of the timer, yet, those of us who used the armour managed to boost to even higher levels afterwards. I'd rather not see Unique Legendaries fall into the same category as a meme token on a timer which everyone laments about getting rather than the legendary resources to build a permanent legendary.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2023
    Nerror wrote: »
    I sure as hell hope they don't make the unique legendaries noticeably better stat-wise than similar non-unique legendaries. I'm maybe ok with 5% better stats at the very most, but I prefer 0%. I can see it having different stats than the non-unique variant, but not stronger. I fully expect a cooler skin and maybe visually and audibly distinct effects, so the player stands out on the battlefield.

As much as it sucks if the player goes inactive, I don't really think we should get re-drops. And no matter what, the player shouldn't lose it due to inactivity. Let the item become part of server lore and history. The only exception would be if the account got perma-banned or deleted. In that case a re-drop is ok. Or at least it should open up a chance for another unique legendary to drop, that wouldn't otherwise have dropped.

I'm curious why you think the developers should put resources in making constant unique items that end up in inactive player hands eventually? Making content is not free and it isn't a one person job either.

Effectively i see this as a artist making random gear for people for free.

Why do you think they are constantly making new unique items? That's not how the system is.

We're talking about, what, 10 items in total in the game? Maybe less. I fully expect unique legendaries to be excessively rare and limitied to one or two per highest tier worldboss. It's not going to be a constant drain on resources. They have to make a couple more at a major expansion probably. It's not nothing in terms of developer resources - no feature is - but it's not a constant thing or a huge drain at all.

As for the OP, Steven said that if a player owning a unique legendary leaves the server, it'll be able to be reacquired through the same means. My comment about it at least opening up for another unique legendary item instead was more if the original unique legendary came from very old and obsolete content a few patches ago, or from some world story monster that no longer exists. If that is a thing they do.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Do you see anyone raging about chasing Royal Eggs? No one wants a Royal Egg unless its a random boon, especially since they now provide only gliders. The same will happen with Unique Legendaries if they are timed. There's a minimal call for timed legendaries, and, there is not a massive reason to make those legendaries timed.

We once had Jedi behind Holocrons and they were difficult to achieve in SWG. Sony complained the Jedi were too few in number and wanted more Jedi by Christmas. The whole procedure for acquiring Jedi was revamped and made easier. It made Jedi less sought and more achieved. It took the whole achievement and made it sour. Sony was still not happy and wanted to compete with WoW. Combat Upgrade 2 made Jedi a playable class and all the old jedi were given a simple title to compensate.

Making these legendaries so finite and making these legendaries into the single digits of ever being achieved is good for the population. It makes everyone want to reached the pinnacle of PvE. Otherwise, what is the point in single digit pve at the highest level? There is no reward there to show you are a single digit player.

No other gear gets destroyed or timed out. No one would want these unique legendaries. In BDO the Oasis Gear was excellent but on a timer. No one wanted it because of the timer, yet, those of us who used the armour managed to boost to even higher levels afterwards. I'd rather not see Unique Legendaries fall into the same category as a meme token on a timer which everyone laments about getting rather than the legendary resources to build a permanent legendary.

There is a different between making it rare to get and literarily no one getting the gear in the game. If they gear gives proper states based on its rarity then it will matter, if it is just for looks, it is just a meme still.

Royal mounts you get as drops everyone still has a chance to get it still, compared to the item never being in a realistic item pool anymore because people want it to be permanent.

I don't see anyone getting boosted in this game with unique legendary gear. You aren't soling no end game bosses, and the mobs you need to beat to get this gear you most likely will have end game gear. Or if there is also low level unique legendary gear you will just out level it. All this needs to be waited by development time as well like i keep saying.
  • Options
    Its not a case of rarity or less. Its a case of people believing it is BiS. BiS is whatever fits your class best and two weeks of having a weapon is meaningless. What can be achieved in two weeks? You probably couldn't even gain enough resources in two weeks to make a replacement legendary. Even myself who games 16 hours a day could probably not make enough resources to fully repair or create a legendary in 2 weeks.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Its not a case of rarity or less. Its a case of people believing it is BiS. BiS is whatever fits your class best and two weeks of having a weapon is meaningless. What can be achieved in two weeks? You probably couldn't even gain enough resources in two weeks to make a replacement legendary. Even myself who games 16 hours a day could probably not make enough resources to fully repair or create a legendary in 2 weeks.

Are we going to me saying it should only be for two weeks?

It is a temporary thing that is the point, and it allows it to cycle it around and be a piece of content people can obtain always having a motivation for it. Rather than losing all motivation since they can't get it. As well as capping out the amount of time one person can enjoy having a powerful item for pvp.

The idea of you have limited time and you need to pick and choose what you want to do is the point. It shouldn't be about being able to do all content in the game with it. But again this is just imo to make sure that piece of content is circling and giving people a desire to want more of it over knowing they can never get it while reduces peoples aim to get something. Akin tot he royal egg where people will always be trying to kill them and hoping to be the lucky one to get the egg.