Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Corruption/pvp

Comments

• Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »
    @Abarat while not always true it seems many use “corruption isn’t a good enough deterrent” when they really mean “anyone who can attack me without my permission is a problem”
    I think this is claim is false.

I have taken you at your word a lot, and think you are a very honest person, but somehow this feels like exactly how i have come to understand how you feel. You do not want anyone to be able to engage PVP with you unless you choose to. Please dont make me scour for quotes, but I am nearly certain that is the case.
  • Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Continuing the battle when your player opponent is not in the mood to do that activity is a problem - for people who don't love PvP.

corruption does not STOP this, it disincentivizes it, but does not stop it. This seems to be in direct opposition to your claim that being attacked when you dont to be is the real problem. Corruption does not solve that... it just means it is unlikely to happen over and over in one session. at least that is what i think.

• Options
    Abarat wrote: »
    Continuing the battle when your player opponent is not in the mood to do that activity is a problem - for people who don't love PvP.

corruption does not STOP this, it disincentivizes it, but does not stop it. This seems to be in direct opposition to your claim that being attacked when you dont to be is the real problem. Corruption does not solve that... it just means it is unlikely to happen over and over in one session. at least that is what i think.

Imo corruption does nothing to stop PvP either. The only thing that prevents is insta killing someone lots of levels lower than you are, but normal PvP? Nope. Because the decision is not on the attacker, but on the attackee whether they want to engage in PvP or not.
    If you're attacking someone you're doing it for a reason, because there is no fun attacking someone that doesn't fight back. It's now on the side of the attackee to evaluate said reason (which they don't know) and risk losing more if they don't fight back.
  • Options
    rocsekrocsek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited July 2023
    Here is a statement by Steven from today saying corruption is a "huge" deterrent to open world PVP outside of PvP events.
    https://youtu.be/GwpWmmIq2cg?t=1739
    Kaos & Lace Cartel
    "Come join us as you wont like the taste of the Grapefruits we're throwing at our enemies."

"Never settle for what you think you know" - C. Krauthammer
  • Options
    RavicusRavicus Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Open world pvp. We will be playing in it. Here is what to expect.
    Yes, every negative action between 2 or players is player vs player. It does not always mean player killing.
    From the attackers point of view he is issuing a challenge. He is trying to provoke you into a fight. Trying to challenge you and has enough courage to face you if you retalliate.
    https://media.giphy.com/media17hjs7x6d379.png
    Now the target of the attacker, the recipiant has choices too. They can fight back. They can walk away and go to another place. Or they can stay there and get provoking actions or actually get pk'd if they hang around long enough.
    There is a gentlemans saying "the better man will walk away" and that might be the best solution.
    b22rp7kqc32x.png
    Now I hear people use the word griefing. I do not thing that is possible in a pvp setting. Unless they are doxxing you or some severe circumstances it is just gameplay. PvP settings are not for some people and they prefer to play in a more secure setting. And that is fine. One suggestion is when out exploring, do it with others, run in groups. There is safety in numbers from that one lone ambush pk'r.
    Practice fighting with friends if you have to defend yourself or one of your party members. There are ways to mitigate the possibility of pvp. The hardest thing probably to do in Ashes is to be a solo player that hates pvp and is pve. You will most likely have a hard time. If you are the kind of person that loves that challenge it might be up your ally. Who knows?
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    Ravicus wrote: »
    Yes, every negative action between 2 or players is player vs player. It does not always mean player killing.
    From the attackers point of view he is issuing a challenge. He is trying to provoke you into a fight. Trying to challenge you and has enough courage to face you if you retalliate.
    Now the target of the attacker, the recipiant has choices too. They can fight back. They can walk away and go to another place. Or they can stay there and get provoking actions or actually get pk'd if they hang around long enough.
    There is a gentlemans saying "the better man will walk away" and that might be the best solution.
    b22rp7kqc32x.png
    Now I hear people use the word griefing. I do not thing that is possible in a pvp setting. Unless they are doxxing you or some severe circumstances it is just gameplay. PvP settings are not for some people and they prefer to play in a more secure setting. And that is fine. One suggestion is when out exploring, do it with others, run in groups. There is safety in numbers from that one lone ambush pk'r.
    Practice fighting with friends if you have to defend yourself or one of your party members. There are ways to mitigate the possibility of pvp. The hardest thing probably to do in Ashes is to be a solo player that hates pvp and is pve. You will most likely have a hard time. If you are the kind of person that loves that challenge it might be up your ally. Who knows?

But it's not like that. They're not trying to provoke you because you don't know what they think. They might hit you once, but they might also hit you until you're 50%.
    Steven said kill time it's going to be long, so they can leave in at 50% pretty fast but don't kill you.

The person being attacked is at loss now, and maybe they will fight anyway to lose less xp.
  • Options
    BlackBrony wrote: »
    b22rp7kqc32x.png

But it's not like that. They're not trying to provoke you because you don't know what they think. They might hit you once, but they might also hit you until you're 50%.
    Steven said kill time it's going to be long, so they can leave in at 50% pretty fast but don't kill you.

The person being attacked is at loss now, and maybe they will fight anyway to lose less xp.

You are assuming much. If someone walks up and slaps you what do you think they are trying to do. Also, if you are not going to fight back why are you sticking around while they beat you down to 50%? Why are you letting that happen. Are you waiting for them to get you down to 1% or to kill you? Why are you just standing there doing nothing? You can fight back, you can leave or you can take what they give. You will never know what they are thinking but you can be assured they are trying to provoke you.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    b22rp7kqc32x.png

One of the problems with this theory is that only you and party members know what your health is. SO I may be at 10% and you hit me a few times and kill me. You didn't intend to go red, but now you are. Now how many times are you going to be willing to attack someone without knowing where their health is? And hope you don't go red.
    Kaos & Lace Cartel
    "Come join us as you wont like the taste of the Grapefruits we're throwing at our enemies."

• Options
    b22rp7kqc32x.png

You are assuming much. If someone walks up and slaps you what do you think they are trying to do. Also, if you are not going to fight back why are you sticking around while they beat you down to 50%? Why are you letting that happen. Are you waiting for them to get you down to 1% or to kill you? Why are you just standing there doing nothing? You can fight back, you can leave or you can take what they give. You will never know what they are thinking but you can be assured they are trying to provoke you.

Yes, you can leave. If they want PvP they're gonna chase. Are you gonna run forever? So, someone comes, hit me, my gameplay is ruined for at least 10 min. I need to run, find a new place and hope I don't find that guy again.
    You cannot fight back. If you fight back corruption is gone, you know? Which is my point, corruption does nothing to stop PvP, like many are saying.
    That's the thing you don't get. For a PvE player their gameplay is ruined, no matter if they fight back or not, they already lost progress picking flowers, farming or exploring. That's what they don't want.
  • Options
    rocsek wrote: »
    b22rp7kqc32x.png

One of the problems with this theory is that only you and party members know what your health is. SO I may be at 10% and you hit me a few times and kill me. You didn't intend to go red, but now you are. Now how many times are you going to be willing to attack someone without knowing where their health is? And hope you don't go red.

It doesn't matter for the played that died. They still lose. A lot of more if they died. You keep seeing this from the attacker point, but the person that died lost more than the attacker at this point. They died, their gear is degradated, they lost certs, they lost full xp. What the attacker lost? Nothing.
    Is it a risk attacking? Yeah, that's why they will use low level spells/attack and make 100% sure they don't kill you.
  • Options
    HumblePuffinHumblePuffin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Here is a statement by Steven from today saying corruption is a "huge" deterrent to open world PVP outside of PvP events.
    https://youtu.be/GwpWmmIq2cg?t=2100

That was a very enjoyable interview. Lots of information, and context. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    b22rp7kqc32x.png

Yes, you can leave. If they want PvP they're gonna chase. Are you gonna run forever? So, someone comes, hit me, my gameplay is ruined for at least 10 min. I need to run, find a new place and hope I don't find that guy again.
    You cannot fight back. If you fight back corruption is gone, you know? Which is my point, corruption does nothing to stop PvP, like many are saying.
    That's the thing you don't get. For a PvE player their gameplay is ruined, no matter if they fight back or not, they already lost progress picking flowers, farming or exploring. That's what they don't want.

yes, for a pve player. a pve player playing in a pvp world.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    b22rp7kqc32x.png

But Ashes wants PvE player, or at least Steven says so. Which is why the game should be PvP, not PvX, because it's lying.
  • Options
    b22rp7kqc32x.png

But Ashes wants PvE player, or at least Steven says so. Which is why the game should be PvP, not PvX, because it's lying.

lol, he is not lying. As he has explained many times the term. Listen to his last interview talking about corruption, there is some new info for you.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    b22rp7kqc32x.png

lol, he is not lying. As he has explained many times the term. Listen to his last interview talking about corruption, there is some new info for you.

Corruption is useless for a PvE player
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    b22rp7kqc32x.png

Corruption is useless for a PvE player

watch the latest video...
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2023
    Depraved wrote: »
    yeah but lets say i go to where you are and follow you around killing all the mobs you want to kill and gathering all the flowers you want to gather
    In 25+ years of playing MMORPGs I have never experienced that as a problem. Not once.
    Probably because I can't fathom how anyone would be able to kill ALL the mobs and pick ALL of the flowers faster than I can kill or pick some.
    So... we would be sharing mobs and sharing flowers. And I'm OK with that.
  • Options
    Abarat wrote: »
    I have taken you at your word a lot, and think you are a very honest person, but somehow this feels like exactly how i have come to understand how you feel. You do not want anyone to be able to engage PVP with you unless you choose to. Please dont make me scour for quotes, but I am nearly certain that is the case.
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "engage PvP".
    I'm fine with people engaging PvP - that's like offering cake at a birthday party. That's OK.
    I'm not OK with people forcing me to experience PvP when I indicate I'm not in the mood for PvP - just as I would not be OK with people forcing me to eat cake when I'm not in the mood for cake.
    And, if someone does force me to eat cake when I'm not in the mood for cake - I expect to be able to file an assault charge and have them criminally punished. And that punishment should be harsh enough that people very rarely force me to eat cake when I'm not in the mood to eat cake.

I'm not going to attend a party where the hosts state that if I want to dance in the room with the best music, and where we get to see the birthday person open their presents, is a room where you auto-consent to other attendees forcing you to eat birthday cake whenever they want you to eat birthday cake.
    It's fine with me if other people want to have fun doing that. But, I'm gonn be hanging out somewhere else.
  • Options
    Steven isn't lying. Just like he wasn't lying when he said Ashes would release before 2020.
    Just because he wants something to happen, doesn't mean he knows how to make that happen.

Steven has a hardcore PvP mindset. And he cannot comprehend how people without that mindset will react to the mechanics that he loves. So, he continues to double-down on introducing more of the hardcore, competitive gameplay that he loves... and he hopes that the same people who loved playing Lineage II will love playing Ashes of Creation.
    And they will.

But, it's highly unlikely he will capture the casuals and PvEers and Crafters and RPers who loved playing EQ/EQ2.
    And, really, he's OK with that because "Ashes is not made for everyone".
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited July 2023
    yeah but lets say i go to where you are and follow you around killing all the mobs you want to kill and gathering all the flowers you want to gather
    In 25+ years of playing MMORPGs I have never experienced that as a problem. Not once.
    Probably because I can't fathom how anyone would be able to kill ALL the mobs and pick ALL of the flowers faster than I can kill or pick some.
    So... we would be sharing mobs and sharing flowers. And I'm OK with that.

i have unless one of us moves. im not ok picking 3 flowers when i could be picking 10 or killing 1 mob every 5 mins when i could be killing 10 every min. you are a very patient man i must say
  • Options
    Steven isn't lying. Just like he wasn't lying when he said Ashes would release before 2020.
    Just because he wants something to happen, doesn't mean he knows how to make that happen.

Steven has a hardcore PvP mindset. And he cannot comprehend how people without that mindset will react to the mechanics that he loves. So, he continues to double-down on introducing more of the hardcore, competitive gameplay that he loves... and he hopes that the same people who loved playing Lineage II will love playing Ashes of Creation.
    And they will.

But, it's highly unlikely he will capture the casuals and PvEers and Crafters and RPers who loved playing EQ/EQ2.
    And, really, he's OK with that because "Ashes is not made for everyone".

Thats pretty passive aggressive there. With your tongue in your cheek you basically call steven a liar. You imply he does not know what he is doing. You imply he does not understand pve. You come across as a jaded bitter person that tells us he is not gonna play the game, even though you have at least $500 invested in this which would cause even more sour grapes. Your tone is that of a doomsayer and say you hope for the best for the game. Its contratictory in tone. Seems like you are stuck in a conundrum. Is it your intent to drive negative energy into the atmosphere here?
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    You are a very patient man i must say
    Haha! I hear that at least 5 times a day at work!!
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Thats pretty passive aggressive there. With your tongue in your cheek you basically call steven a liar. You imply he does not know what he is doing. You imply he does not understand pve. You come across as a jaded bitter person that tells us he is not gonna play the game, even though you have at least $500 invested in this which would cause even more sour grapes. Your tone is that of a doomsayer and say you hope for the best for the game. Its contratictory in tone. Seems like you are stuck in a conundrum. Is it your intent to drive negative energy into the atmosphere here?
    I don't see how there can be any aggression at all.
    I clearly stated that Steven is not a liar.
    That does not mean he knows how to accomplish some of the stuff he hopes to accomplish.
    It's like saying I'm bitter that Ashes did not release in 2020. I'm not bitter about that.
    I predicted he wouldn't be able to pull that off the moment he claimed he could, shortly after Kickstarter. Based on my 10 years of work at Activision.
    I haven't said anything about doom. I clearly stated that I expect Ashes to succeed.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I don't see how there can be any aggression at all.
    I clearly stated that Steven is not a liar.
    That does not mean he knows how to accomplish some of the stuff he hopes to accomplish.
    It's like saying I'm bitter that Ashes did not release in 2020. I'm not bitter about that.
    I predicted he wouldn't ble to pull that off the moment he claimed he could, shortly after Kickstarter. Based on my 10 years of work at Activision.
    I haven't said anything about doom. I clearly stated that I expect Ashes to succeed.

you have not stated that he is a liar, you implied it. "Steven isn't lying. Just like he wasn't lying when he said Ashes would release before 2020." Just like you say you are not bitter, and those are words. Your actions however present gloom and a shadow follows you and your words. When you say you are not going to play and you wont because of forced pvp, well than people will say ok, we understand. But you are still here, saying the same thing, its like your stuck in a loop. Your invested in a game you do not want to play. But you do not bring any positivity, you just bring this feeling of gloom. Its sad. I hope you find joy in something here sometime.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/GwpWmmIq2cg?t=2100

@Abarat

Its funny this was said on stream with anyone with common sense already understanding the system.

@Noaani and ima tag you as well for defending this so hard to the point i was also trying to derail (false)

As i was saying, based on the system it is clear as day the intent of it, and based on what i was saying we have a quote from steven saying the same thing.

This is exactly why i said if you feel there is a deterrent to pvp you need to be open to other possibilities and not try to argue in a discussion its minimal so you can say it isn't a deterrent.

Guessing there is no chance on swallow your pride and saying you were wrong? I'm guessing you are going to still try to argue the point you are right?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    you have not stated that he is a liar, you implied it.
    I did not imply that Steven is a liar. That is what you misinfer from what I wrote.
    Even though I explicitly stated that he's not lying.

Your actions however present gloom and a shadow follows you and your words.
    I can't control what you misinfer from what I write. Any gloom and shadow you see is coming from your own head and not from me.

When you say you are not going to play and you wont because of forced pvp, well than people will say ok, we understand.
    Right. So, then, you should be able to understand that Ashes can still succeed regardless of whether or not I play.

But you are still here, saying the same thing, its like your stuck in a loop. Your invested in a game you do not want to play.
    I mean if you keep engaging me - especially with misinterpretations of what I've written - I am happy to continue responding and attempting to clarify your misinterpretations.
    My statements that it seems as though Ashes will be a successful game should be perceived as positive.
    If you don't perceive that as positive, that's an issue in your own head.

Open Seas is not a mechanic I enjoy, but it's a positive mechanic for hardcore PvPers.
    So, that is an awesome addition. SInce that's the primary audience Steven is targeting.
  • Options
    you have not stated that he is a liar, you implied it.
    I did not imply that Steven is a liar. That is what you misinfer from what I wrote.
    Even though I explicitly stated that he's not lying.

Your actions however present gloom and a shadow follows you and your words.
    I can't control what you misinfer from what I write. Any gloom and shadow you see is coming from your own head and not from me.

When you say you are not going to play and you wont because of forced pvp, well than people will say ok, we understand.
    Right. So, then, you should be able to understand that Ashes can still succeed regardless of whether or not I play.

But you are still here, saying the same thing, its like your stuck in a loop. Your invested in a game you do not want to play.
    I mean if you keep engaging me - especially with misinterpretations of what I've written - I am happy to continue responding and attempting to clarify your misinterpretations.
    My statements that it seems as though Ashes will be a successful game should be perceived as positive.
    If you don't perceive that as positive, that's an issue in your own head.

Open Seas is not a mechanic I enjoy, but it's a positive mechanic for hardcore PvPers.
    So, that is an awesome addition. SInce that's the primary audience Steven is targeting.

Ok then, if you say so. Have a good evening.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2023
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Noaani and ima tag you as well for defending this so hard to the point i was also trying to derail (false)
    I'd be happy to comment - but I listened for a minute or two from the time stamp and didn't hear anything relavent - maybe I missed it.

If I am going to have an opinion on something Steven said, I obviously need to hear it and the discussion around it. As such, until I've got a better time stamp, I can't really comment.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    Noaani and ima tag you as well for defending this so hard to the point i was also trying to derail (false)
    I'd be happy to comment - but I listed for a minute or two from the time stamp and didn't hear anything relavent - maybe I missed it.

If I am going to have an opinion on something Steven said, I obviously need to hear it and the discussion around it. As such, until I've got a better time stamp, I can't really comment.

Sorry I had a bad time stamp same link then go back to 29:00 till about 32:00
    Kaos & Lace Cartel

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Noaani wrote: »
    I'd be happy to comment - but I listed for a minute or two from the time stamp and didn't hear anything relavent - maybe I missed it.

Sorry I had a bad time stamp same link then go back to 29:00 till about 32:00

Cool, thanks.