Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Corruption/pvp

Comments

• Options
    Corruption is only there to prevent early game from turning into a gankbox. In the endgame, it's a completely irrelevant system. I could have my character deleted when corrupted and I would still do it if there is a reward on the line. Guilds will compensate for any amount of corruption penalty with just more players.
  • Options
    ShabooeyShabooey Member
    edited July 2023
    This may be a stupid question so apologies in advance.

If a Purple player attacks a Green player, the Green player fights back and is then flagged Purple, but dies, does the attacker then gain corruption?

I assume they do but couldn't be sure after reading the Wiki.
  • Options
    HumblePuffinHumblePuffin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Shabooey wrote: »

If a Purple player attacks a Green player, the Green player fights back and is then flagged Purple, but dies, does the attacker then gain corruption?

If you fight back they will not gain corruption. You had a fight, you lost, but your death penalties are lessened because you fought back.

Corruption only occurs when the victim does not fight back in anyway basically saying “yo I really don’t want to do this”.

IMO outside of some griefing situations, I know I will always fight back to lessen the penalties if put in that situation.

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2023

No, they do not.

In order for that purple player to gain corruption, they need to kill a player while they are still green. Attacking a purple turns you purple, so no corruption is gained if the green fights back.
  • Options
    HumblePuffinHumblePuffin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dolyem wrote: »
    Depends entirely on how harsh corruption is. Though I plan to do as much open world pvp as I can without getting absolutely obliterated by corruption penalties.

I personally think that there is room for a healthy owpvp world due to reduced death penalties when you fight back, and corruption pvp stat dampening.

There will be some who refuse to engage at all and will probably not be playing the game long, there are some who will refuse to engage because they’re not in the mood but want you to know that “when I come back here, you will be red, and you will be weaker, and now if you mess with me I can take more from you”.

There will be some who gives zero fucks and just murder everyone anyway until their PvP stats are worthless and then they lose tons, but I think there will be far more people that are in the “I’m just gonna fight back, take less death penalties if I die, maybe I’ll kill them and get stuff, and if not I’ll try to be more aware of my surroundings/move to another area” camp.
  • Options
    Thank you @HumblePuffin and @Noaani for your replies.

I would suspect most people would fight back as the penalties are a lot lower. But like you say, someone might decide I'll take the risk of Green death penalties to make you go Red and come back for you.

It will be interesting to see how the corruption penalties work based on the amount of corruption you get. I would hope the risk of you losing gear if you Pk once would be really really low. But that is the risk you take of a PK, let's see how it plays out in Alpha 2.
  • Options
    PhlightPhlight Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Chicago wrote: »
    How many of you will still be engaging in in world pvp/ ganking reguardless of corruption?

Player conflict is one of the backbones of the game. I'll be attacking folks as needed and always attacking back if I am attacked.Purple vs purple combat is always fine. I don't think I can stand by and let someone turn me into ash. There will be times when you have to go Red regardless of the risk of doing so, choose your reasoning. If corruption makes it so that you are just useless, it may deter some people. Solo ganking players doesn't seem like it would be worth the risk of losing your shit. However, if the intent is to lure more people to you, then gank away.

• Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited July 2023
    Noaani wrote: »
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    You didn't give him a proper answer as to why you think majority of players are fine going corrupted.
    I didn't answer the question because he asked me why I said a thing I didn't say.

You need to learn how to read, so does Abarat.

If you graduated middle school (or your equivlent), I suggest asking your local school board for a refund. Even if all it cost you was time, it is clearly time that was wasted that you won't ever be able to get back.

You need to use your brain, you are trying to make false arguments thinking about half the system and not the other half. The fact of someone not attacking back and if they die causes corruption is a big effect on the matter. If someone does not fight back the person that is pvping most likely will stop to avoid corruption since they won't know the persons hp and know they have no desire to fight back. You really show your lack of experience in knowing what PvP is.

But hey if you want to not take the full picture in and make bad takes, because people call you out constantly on how stupid you takes are that is on you. Maybe you should consider going back to school, clearly the many years have gotten to you and you need to work the rust off.

But if your content making pathetic takes, I guess that is up to you, tons of people say ignorant things on forums, guess that is the boat you want to sit in, full of emotion.
  • Options
    hleV wrote: »
    Azherae wrote: »
    If I go red in my best gear, the punishment is severe.

If I go red in my backup/test gear, the punishment is smaller.
    You don't find it silly at all that somehow, the severity of punishment for committing murder somehow depends on what gear you have on you? Like "yeah I don't have much to lose, let's commit some crime for fun!" seems so stupid to me and I don't think a good system would "discriminate" like that.

Naaa mate its crime for profit and to rob from neighbouring nodes to reduce their str and make your stronger.

The name of the game is to get enough loot from the neighbouring nodes to make more than it cost on the gear ur risking while reduce resources going into opposing nodes and take them back to you node to progress yours quicker :P
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    tautau wrote: »
    If someone risks their valuable personal gear because they went red because another player irritated them, it appears to me to be a personal issue with the player going red ~ their lack of personal self-control is potentially costing them their valuable item(s).

They should not blame the game rules, they would be better served learning to tame their emotions and learn to master themselves.

what if a pve player is harassing and griefing you? how are you going to deal with that? report and wait 3 days for a gm to check the ticket?

nothing worst than in new world when ur trying to harvest flag your get a constant pve player pulling mobs onto you while u try and hit a node and then try stealing ur node and u cant do anything bout it :p
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Veeshan wrote: »
    If someone risks their valuable personal gear because they went red because another player irritated them, it appears to me to be a personal issue with the player going red ~ their lack of personal self-control is potentially costing them their valuable item(s).

They should not blame the game rules, they would be better served learning to tame their emotions and learn to master themselves.

what if a pve player is harassing and griefing you? how are you going to deal with that? report and wait 3 days for a gm to check the ticket?

nothing worst than in new world when ur trying to harvest flag your get a constant pve player pulling mobs onto you while u try and hit a node and then try stealing ur node and u cant do anything bout it :p

I don't get it. Just kill the mobs?
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Thank you @HumblePuffin and @Noaani for your replies.

I would suspect most people would fight back as the penalties are a lot lower. But like you say, someone might decide I'll take the risk of Green death penalties to make you go Red and come back for you.

It will be interesting to see how the corruption penalties work based on the amount of corruption you get. I would hope the risk of you losing gear if you Pk once would be really really low. But that is the risk you take of a PK, let's see how it plays out in Alpha 2.

if they do i get a higher payout of resource drops and now the game is for me to escape and burn off the corruption asap and to store the goodies :P
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited July 2023

1- killing mobs is boring (AI is predictable and repetative, Players are unpredictable making them more interesting/challenging when killing)
    2- if 10 person from Node a kills mobs and 10 person from node b kills mobs then its equal gain but if 8 people in node b kills mobs and 2 people venture off and harass and pk players from Node A those players now need to be more carful reducing how fast they can farm mobs which can mean Node B might now progress faster cause 2 peopel have now interupting potential all 10 of node A farmers not to mention the 2 people get kills and bring back loot then node A looses resources and Node B gained it.

This can escalate if the Node B destroys a Node A caravan and took the resources for themself to porgress there crafters with while reducing the Node A crafters skill gain which means better gear for Node B to farm node progression faster
  • Options

1- killing mobs is boring
    2- if 10 person from Node a kills mobs and 10 person from node b kills mobs then its equal gain but if 8 people in node b kills mobs and 2 people venture off and harass and pk players from Node A those players now need to be more carful reducing how fast they can farm mobs which can mean Node B might now progress faster cause 2 peopel have now interupting potential all 10 of node A farmers not to mention the 2 people get kills and bring back loot then node A looses resources and Node B gained it.

So it's a lack of... numbers on your own side? I'm not getting it yet. In PvP you'd solve this by fighting the player, but if they were stronger than you, you'd lose, and have to go gang up on them with someone else to stop them, right?

In PvE it's the same. If the player is better than you at 'dropping mobs on you', you lose, and have to go get more people to stop them, right? It doesn't sound like you have a skill issue killing the mobs, and afaik New World doesn't have easymode MPK...

Anyways I realized this was actually moreso addressing Depraved and not you so you can ignore it since questioning your situation or skill doesn't tell me anything about the original point.

• Options

if you decide to attack the mobs, the other person will get the node...
    you gotta out-asshole them and drop the mobs back on them.
    i rarely lost nodes to people doing that to me but yeah i get it tis annoying af
  • Options

if you decide to attack the mobs, the other person will get the node...
    you gotta out-asshole them and drop the mobs back on them.
    i rarely lost nodes to people doing that to me but yeah i get it tis annoying af

Oh ok, thanks.

If someone doesn't wanna go red in Ashes, they should just do this, then, since you don't get Corruption if the mob finishes off the target.

You can't CC them or debuff them much, but it's basically the same thing.

Or hire protection from someone who's willing to go red for a fee.

This is all me noting stuff based on what tautau said. If you risk your valuable personal gear by going red, you should hire PvP players to protect you from PvE players who are causing you issues in your gameplay loop.

• Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited July 2023

So it's a lack of... numbers on your own side? I'm not getting it yet. In PvP you'd solve this by fighting the player, but if they were stronger than you, you'd lose, and have to go gang up on them with someone else to stop them, right?

In PvE it's the same. If the player is better than you at 'dropping mobs on you', you lose, and have to go get more people to stop them, right? It doesn't sound like you have a skill issue killing the mobs, and afaik New World doesn't have easymode MPK...

Anyways I realized this was actually moreso addressing Depraved and not you so you can ignore it since questioning your situation or skill doesn't tell me anything about the original point.

ok lets say everyone is equal and can farm 10 items an hour for simplicity sakes

Scenario one
    Node a has 10 players farming = 100 items an hour
    Node b has 10 players farming = 100 items an hour
    Its equal so no one getting a lead here

Scenario two
    Node a has 8 players farming and sends 2 off to interrupt node b via PvP = 80 items
    Node B still has 10 players farming however due to the actions of the 2 players harassing them node B players now need to stay closer to gether so they cant be singled out and maintain high HP so there less vunerable to attack this action alone drops there effiency by 25% now Node B only getting 75 items an hour where node A is getting 80
    The goal here is for the 2 players to be realy annoying and not die all they need to show there intent for pking and it will have an effect they dont necessarily have to get a kill

Scenario three
    Same as Scenario two however there were oppotunity to get a kill or 2 on some lone gather who got to far away from the group now not only are they running at 75% effiency they also lost a chunk of material to node A pkers which then add it to node a surplus lets say they retreived 5 resources and hour from node b this way now the resource outcome is Node A got 85 items to Node B 70 items

you can send the legit shittiest geared player to cause a huge interuption to enemy factions siomply by being in the area. Kill a gather and you will often pull more people off tasks to chase you down and if u spend 30 minutes having more player chase you then your side coming out ahead, best case scenario is having 1 person kill a gather and having 5+ people spend 20 minutes chasing or hunting you down to secure the area

OWpvp adds a lot of dynamic to the world and makes them feel more alive and less stagnated. PvE servers are the most predictable things in the world and feels boring since you can predict everything that gonna happen especialy in modern mmo where the devs remove all the random elements from combat like high level patroling mobs, mob trains all those thing people consider inconviences too away the life out of the MMO worlds life unpredictable and that makes the world feel alive. Like WoW raids are so incredibly boring when all u have to do is follow direction displayed in the middle of your screen cause of add ons :P if you can follow directions then all it becomes is a gear check
  • Options

ok lets say everyone is equal and can farm 10 items an hour for simplicity sakes

Scenario one
    Node a has 10 players farming = 100 items an hour
    Node b has 10 players farming = 100 items an hour
    Its equal so no one getting a lead here

Scenario two
    Node a has 8 players farming and sends 2 off to interrupt node b via PvP = 80 items
    Node B still has 10 players farming however due to the actions of the 2 players harassing them node B players now need to stay closer to gether so they cant be singled out and maintain high HP so there less vunerable to attack this action alone drops there effiency by 25% now Node B only getting 75 items an hour where node A is getting 80
    The goal here is for the 2 players to be realy annoying and not die all they need to show there intent for pking and it will have an effect they dont necessarily have to get a kill

Scenario three
    Same as Scenario two however there were oppotunity to get a kill or 2 on some lone gather who got to far away from the group now not only are they running at 75% effiency they also lost a chunk of material to node A pkers which then add it to node a surplus lets say they retreived 5 resources and hour from node b this way now the resource outcome is Node A got 85 items to Node B 70 items

you can send the legit shittiest geared player to cause a huge interuption to enemy factions siomply by being in the area. Kill a gather and you will often pull more people off tasks to chase you down and if u spend 30 minutes having more player chase you then your side coming out ahead, best case scenario is having 1 person kill a gather and having 5+ people spend 20 minutes chasing or hunting you down to secure the area

Indeed, truly this is why mountains are the peak of civilization.

• Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023
    The reason for this statement is blatantly clear to anyone with a brain and a basic knowledge of the corruption system in Ashes (obviously Abarat lacks one of these)

Aha. Now we are getting somewhere.

I will deal with the brain issue.

Can you, @Noaani , please enlighten me to your valuable basic knowledge of the corruption system which gives you such a strong and absolute understanding that the system will fail? Specifically?

I looked up the word 'specific' for you... i am not sure that is a word you are familiar with based upon your responses so far.

Specific: precise detail; clearly defined or identified

for example... "the cost of a freehold is time and organization" is not specific

That is what I am asking for.

I am guessing you will again answer in cryptic, nebulous generalities that have almost no basis in fact, but, lets take another shot.

• Options
    Abarat wrote: »
    The reason for this statement is blatantly clear to anyone with a brain and a basic knowledge of the corruption system in Ashes (obviously Abarat lacks one of these)

Can you, @Noaani , please enlighten me to your valuable basic knowledge of the corruption system which gives you such a strong and absolute understanding that the system will fail? Specifically?

I looked up the word 'specific' for you... i am not sure that is a word you are familiar with based upon your responses so far.

for example... "the cost of a freehold is time and organization" is not specific

I am guessing you will again answer in cryptic, nebulous generalities that have almost no basis in fact, but, lets take another shot.

I think you're imagining that Noaani said the system will fail.

• Options

If attacking a player does not affect a players care of gaining corruption and worry of consequences between that and dying than you can start to have discussion where the system is failing. PvP isn't you attack someone a few times and stop or a one sided fight with someone watching you hit them.
  • Options
    SweatycupSweatycup Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023
    I'm not too sure how i would interact. I'm more personally a go out and explore the world around my home kinda person. I'm not really looking to initiate pvp unless i'm grinding it for a reason. And things dropping from players are not really a priority for me in pvp. More so reputation and rewards after many pvp engagements. I'd just let you take the corruption unless we are on a guild campaign towards a pvp war. In which case i would most likely just gank a rival node citizen(s) get te max or minimal corruption level and leave group as my guild cycles it's members for maximal effects without total corruption stacking as well to stay efficient in strength to any opposing guild that may appear. I'm not a ganker, maybe when i was 12 and thought it was funny or got frustrated by others actions before i had self control. If you are blindly ganking people in a mmo this is a sign that something in the game itself is designed seriously wrong in most cases. Think spawn camping. I plan to find a decent node with decent minded players who work together whether a citizen of no particular guild or even a node holder guild so i don't really worry about rando's as much just running in and pvping/cannibalizing me. As well i assume in said event some other nodes connected will be our vassal nodes extending the safety net of where i can travel without much issue. It's more a non-issue until you decide to travel outside said home-nodes. Any player just pvping in said home node would be counter productive to the nodes success unless in defense most the time. If you hinder someone who is also a citizen of your node by initiating pvp since it's all intertwined your actually just hurting your own progress in the world. Of course you may not know or be able to remember everyone but a action against your own vassals or even said same node citizen whether in the same guild/group or not will be destructive. In my eyes, that's as bad if not worse than ganking. However i still suspect if you and i are both red no matter we may choose to fight, i just don't see that being my overall play-style if but seldom rarely. However i am well aware in other mmo's and know of people who their whole motif for playing said open world pvp is to make gains solely from it..
  • Options

If attacking a player does not affect a players care of gaining corruption and worry of consequences between that and dying than you can start to have discussion where the system is failing. PvP isn't you attack someone a few times and stop or a one sided fight with someone watching you hit them.

Uh... yes. I think.

• Options

Uh... yes. I think.

If general normal player has 0 interest in killing you because of not wanting to be corrupt would you say that corruption would be a deterrent affecting the gameplay around pvp towards a player they had decided they wouldn't kill?

If there is no fear, worry or care than you can say the system could be failing if the normal player (Not weird outlier types) are not deterred by the thought of corruption and consequences from it and leading towards it.

• Options

Uh... yes. I think.

If general normal player has 0 interest in killing you because of not wanting to be corrupt would you say that corruption would be a deterrent affecting the gameplay around pvp towards a player they had decided they wouldn't kill?

If there is no fear, worry or care than you can say the system could be failing if the normal player (Not weird outlier types) are not deterred by the thought of corruption and consequences from it and leading towards it.

I don't think intent to kill was brought up in this discussion exactly before now so... I feel like that's a different discussion.

You've made some points.

On this note I understand Dygz's posting style way better now so I thank you for that.

• Options
    rocsekrocsek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I spent a good bit of time in Lineage 2. A mix of solo, duo and group play. After the first few weeks I rarely saw players willing to turn red, and that system was relaxed compared to what Ashes sounds like. The majority of the time it was a PK alt that stayed red just to grief and mess with lower level players. Second to that were the enforcers for RMT groups. They would come in and try to force you out of a grind area for their workers. Last were a few people here and there trying to get some solo PvP going, and most of them didn't go red very much. What I did see a lot of was people waiting till I pulled and hit me so the mob would kill me, or training mobs on groups. Luckily I was a Sorc. with Sleep and Sleeping Cloud so I had an out in those situations.

So I'm still just waiting to see how much weight is on the corruption tag. Can't really know until its tested, and fine tuned.
    Kaos & Lace Cartel
    "Come join us as you wont like the taste of the Grapefruits we're throwing at our enemies."

"Never settle for what you think you know" - C. Krauthammer
  • Options

Uh... yes. I think.

I don't think intent to kill was brought up in this discussion exactly before now so... I feel like that's a different discussion.

You've made some points.

On this note I understand Dygz's posting style way better now so I thank you for that.

Its not but all things need to be considered during PvP, the point of pvp is to kill the other player. If you remove the desire to kill a player there is going to be a impact that leads up to the steps and mind set of a player towards that. And therefore has an effect, less care and motivation means less friction. IF that causes a person to test waters and attack someone a few times than stop, I don't consider that pvp.

The whole idea trying to downplay the corruption system is the goal here, If it was brought up as people will go purple and fight, sure i agree with that. Though corruption is still affecting their motivation to different degrees and hence having an impact.
  • Options

Uh... yes. I think.

You've made some points.

Its not but all things need to be considered during PvP, the point of pvp is to kill the other player. If you remove the desire to kill a player there is going to be a impact that leads up to the steps and mind set of a player towards that. And therefore has an effect, less care and motivation means less friction. IF that causes a person to test waters and attack someone a few times than stop, I don't consider that pvp.

The whole idea trying to downplay the corruption system is the goal here, If it was brought up as people will go purple and fight, sure i agree with that. Though corruption is still affecting their motivation to different degrees and hence having an impact.

Are you saying that Abarat is trying to downplay the corruption system? I'm fairly sure that's not what is happening.

• Options

Uh... yes. I think.

You've made some points.

Are you saying that Abarat is trying to downplay the corruption system? I'm fairly sure that's not what is happening.

? The point is corruption is a deterrent for pvp.
  • Options

Uh... yes. I think.

You've made some points.

? The point is corruption is a deterrent for pvp.

For you, yes, we know.

The OP asked which of us it is a deterrent for, and people answered.

Your answer has joined the Great Dataset.