Where is the progress

Comments

• Chicago wrote: »
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    You can view it how you want, with it being stabs or whatever, but its a pretty bad take so i comment on it.

You can't say you are just speculating when you are trying to use this information in a negative light and then you are trying to say you are only saying facts on top of it....

A fact would be the were showing gameplay on AoC before Apoc, and there would be a time period where they are developing content for AoC during that time period.

There for you now need to speculate the amount of time they are putting in a battle royal and into the actual mmorpg.So instantly you cna't even make a argument all kickstarter funds went into Apoc alone since factually you have nothing to point to that saying that is even the case since that isn't really possible.

The other fact is they need to higher people, get equipment, office space, software(which is expensive as you are talking about a lot of different programs out there and needing licensing for per son that needs to be using it)) etc. This money is directly supporting AoC so again you can't make a argument all their kickstarter funding just went into Apoc.

Unsure where you heard they made apoc to test assets that sounds very weird, unless i had some typo earlier or something.

Point being there is a mmorpg first so if anything it makes more sense they picked asset pieces from their mmorpg prototype and used it to make Apoc since making a battle royal is pretty easy. Rather then you trying to suggest the funding went into Apoc meaning that came first as their focus.

That being said it doesn't mean there was no effort put into it, and new things not being made in some element for it. Its just extremely silly to try to say they are lying, using fake engines, or using all their kickstarter funding into Apoc without any actual proof. when if you look at the development you can easily make counter arguments for it.

This is a pattern of trying to use extreme takes, which gets into being disingenuous. A more fair take would be if you felt what they gained out of making apoc was a waste of their development time, and any testing information they gathered from the data doesn't help them. (which i wouldn't agree with but atleast you aren't making an extreme take and that is simply your opinion.

I really don't care if you think IS are using fomo to sell things, its a business at the end of the day. You can have your opinion on it and support them or be against it. That has nothing to do with progress of the game...And this game isn't going to grow on a tree and to be honest it half is growing on a tree out of Stevens Wallet.

Not really going to argue that its only 3 percent of their systems, as I'm guessing you mean they only have a total of 3% done out of everything else they need to do. You are fine to have your opinion on that, I believe that would be more fair to have.

I expect development to be slower until a company is in full production. Which i believe Is is now at full production meaning content is going to be made a lot faster. They have like almost 200 employees so i feel they would be going into full production recently (between the last year and now). And you will see plenty of new things over the time frame.

I'm make a good guess there is a lot of art that is not seen as it need functionality or the art is not complete or not in a state they want to show. On top of needing to build up for milestones and releasing content during their phases of A2. Which they will be even more strict of showing things because people can not handle development and they want to make sure things are pretty polished.

Do to them trying to polish everything for showcasing that is where you can make a argument they are slowing down things on development. So people can see the game, and then start to complain about that they aren't doing it fast enough or it still doesn't look good enough for them base don what consumers think lol.

Pretty much and this would be me speculating on the whole situation. They thought is be cool to show the progress of the game they are putting their heart into and a good way to market it at the same time. So they wanted to be transparent in showing things and talking about it and being really chill. And then realized all the work to put into that will be appreciated by some, but most people will actually not care or complain things are bad. The process didn't matter as cool of an idea it might be, general consumers won't care or appreciate it. They only care about the final result else its bad to them.

On the star citizen point i Don't fully follow that project but i see and hear things time to time. That game has had like 600m dollars put into it, and been in development since like 2011. And if you compare star citizen to this game i feel like AoC actually has a game. And in star citizen they are spending their money on feature creep and complicated things that are pointless to a game (To the point i had a friend showing me the game and struggling to find out how to drink water in the game do to it being a mess). So to me that would be more a stab on IS, imo of course.

You have some good points here and I do agree with quite a few of them, however I don't think that all of their funds went into apoc, I do think a majority but yes you are right I don't have and never will have any concrete data on this, some points I do disagree on is transparency, this is not a personal stab against Steven because I would guess it being a big part of his life and is automated for him but I would argue a big part of the live streams have nothing to do with transparency and everything to do with sales.

The reason I think this is because we don't ever get told anything about the actual development,

I think showing a showcase that doesn't look like the visuals of the actual game * whilst * actively selling and promoting at the same is not transparent. Furthermore, Whilst I agree and appreciate that Steven has put alot of his own money into the project you need to remember that once complete Steven is going to make hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue, it's not out of the goodness of his heart and people need to stop using this as an excuse, either way, let's come back to this once A2 launches, one way or another one of us will eat our words and I hope that it is me and I'll be the first to admit it

The showcases show the game i don't know how you are making a argument against this...This is why its annoying because I'll told you repeatedly already that things will change, and some things won't be finished. You are trying to look at this as a early access or a complete game.

This is development there is going to be fluctuation on the level of polish you see on things but also the overall look of everything. If they are doing major lighting changes to the world that impacts every single art piece that players see. As Textures work with PBR which immensely effects the looking of the material on objects. When you are complaining about things looking different over development that is the first sign you are heavily nit picking and need to take as step back.

You also need you have realistic expectation and things can and will end up being scaled down on top of that, or they are just not optimized and not currently shown as strongly as they could be because of it.

I know you have complained about this already before, I'm unsure how many times it needs to be mentioned this is actual alpha development. And at the end of the day it can look great sure, but what matters more than anything is how the game plays and feels.

I play deadlock and that is in alpha stage and has some rough stuff sure but i hardly notice it because i have a lot more focus on the game. So long as its not going from looking good to looking like minecraft. And currently imo game world looks pretty good, and doesn't have the generic feeling i had from BDO with the limited places ive seen in AoC.
  • To add a bit more, i think its wild to complain about visuals things when that was one of the best dragons ive seen in games. That work also translates to pretty much all other dragons they make as well btw. So the hard work is done when it comes to rigging and some animation elements they have they can use between them.
  • ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    To add a bit more, i think its wild to complain about visuals things when that was one of the best dragons ive seen in games. That work also translates to pretty much all other dragons they make as well btw. So the hard work is done when it comes to rigging and some animation elements they have they can use between them.

I mean I was never complaining about the visuals, I was complaining that it was an exact copy and paste from 3 years prior, but I definitely don't agree it's one of the best dragon fights of all time, but I also don't really need it to be it's still an alpha, was never part of my criticism
    To add a bit more, i think its wild to complain about visuals things when that was one of the best dragons ive seen in games. That work also translates to pretty much all other dragons they make as well btw. So the hard work is done when it comes to rigging and some animation elements they have they can use between them.

You should check out guild wars 2 world boss dragons their quite cool, I've never actually played it but watched a bit and I think ashes should aim for something of this scope at a minimum as guild wars 2 is over a decade old now

I mean I was never complaining about the visuals, I was complaining that it was an exact copy and paste from 3 years prior, but I definitely don't agree it's one of the best dragon fights of all time, but I also don't really need it to be it's still an alpha, was never part of my criticism

ok what other games dragons are visual on par with that one, if not better.
    Chicago wrote: »

Any dragon fights in GW2

Also final fantasy

Also final fantasy

I think you may be missing the point but if you are going to be so open and say any dragon i suppose i can google.
  • Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited September 9
    This one is cool and all and good for a dragon, final fantasy is top tier in what they do with their dragons. Though AoC one is better and has more detail as well as the animations and movements being better. Im going for realistic obviously so AoC is just a tier above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smfj16i9cs0

guild wars 2 concept is very interesting and cool, but again AoC hits a higher bar on realism for me and looks better in that sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsUirl_RA58

Obviously the dragon for AoC being in unreal engine 5 kind of makes it have a pretty big advantage.
  • This is a combination of several classic mmo games, including wow, archeage, lineage etc. There will be no action combat, as this game is classic it keeps the target combat.

It is basically a game for older people, it will not attract young people used to action combat. There is nothing new in this game and there is no innovation, everything is copy and paste from classic games.

Basically game made for older people. Niche game. So don't expect something modern like NW or Souls style.
  • It's always entertaining to see people from both sides of the fence insulting each other and claiming the other side doesn't know what they're talking about when it's clear that none of them do lol
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The money they raised in the Kickstarter most likely went soley towards apoc, which is not AoC, then the first few years of bundles seem to have gone towards something that was just scrapped, now it seems they need more money so they are selling alpha 2 packs for a 120$ price tag, after making people fomo into a 250$ pack because they were ending package sales that I can guarantee would have waited, a 120$ price tag is also to high it makes it near impossible for a huge majority of the community to participate in testing and I dispise this.
    LMAO
    APOC was just a small slice of the MMORPG with a BR destruction wall.
    That didn't cost much to develop and probably recouped whatever cost for the minimal development via Battlepass sales.
  • ApokApok Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 9
    I love how anytime anyone tries to have a normal discussion about anything the fan boys to a dev team that never released a game before have to come in acting like they're the dev teams white knights here to defend their honor. All the people talking shit to the OP only have assumptions and wishful thinking to go by

The part where someone said they liked ashes realism really made me laugh cause what in this game looks realistic or at least grounded in reality
  • CaerylCaeryl Member
    edited September 9
    Sauronplay wrote: »
    This is a combination of several classic mmo games, including wow, archeage, lineage etc. There will be no action combat, as this game is classic it keeps the target combat.

It is basically a game for older people, it will not attract young people used to action combat. There is nothing new in this game and there is no innovation, everything is copy and paste from classic games.

Basically game made for older people. Niche game. So don't expect something modern like NW or Souls style.

It already has unlocked camera and cursor targeting, so what leads you to think it won’t keep those aspect of action combat? The feel of it in general is very ‘action-y’ even though it uses locked targeting for most abilities, which is a good thing to keep players engaged with what’s going on in the game world rather than their UI.

Also, it’s not a game made for older players with lives, because the time commitment required by its systems is tuned to an audience that can comfortably no-life it, aka teenagers and young adults, maybe retired adults which definitely exist but they’re not a large demographic playing MMOs. Even more than most MMOs Ashes will penalize you for a lack of game time.
  • no NDA for alpha 2, you'll have all the info you went then.
  • It's always entertaining to see people from both sides of the fence insulting each other and claiming the other side doesn't know what they're talking about when it's clear that none of them do lol

You are one of the people that don't know what you are talkin about based on the last thread you were heavily interacting with lmfao.
  • Apok wrote: »
    I love how anytime anyone tries to have a normal discussion about anything the fan boys to a dev team that never released a game before have to come in acting like they're the dev teams white knights here to defend their honor. All the people talking shit to the OP only have assumptions and wishful thinking to go by

The part where someone said they liked ashes realism really made me laugh cause what in this game looks realistic or at least grounded in reality

What about the dragon doesn't look realistic, funny you are trying to call people fan boys in an attempt to discredit as you are also interacting on the forums.

Granted a guess your point is you need to be on the forums and crap on everything about the game to not be a fan boy. And if there is anything good the game does and you say good things you are a fan boy (which is a pretty stupid take)

• patrick68794patrick68794 Member
    edited September 9
    P0GG0 wrote: »
    no NDA for alpha 2, you'll have all the info you went then.

Yep, in just over a month and a half (barring any potential delays, which are seemingly increasingly unlikely) we'll get to see a lot of what's been worked on and iterated on over the last few years. I'm pretty excited to actually explore and figure things out for myself and am glad they haven't been showing off all of the different biomes and locations. I'm sure some of the mechanics that are coming later will be showcased closer to them being ready for release into the alpha as well. I also don't see the point in them showcasing stuff like naval combat right now when it won't be ready or available for the better part of a year still. They should be focusing on stuff that will ready for some sort of testing during phase 1 and maybe phase 2.
  • AlmostDeadAlmostDead Member
    edited September 9
    What about the dragon doesn't look realistic

You do know dragons aren't real, right?

The dragon looked great, btw. Love the graphics and artistic direction of this game.
  • Caeryl wrote: »
    This is a combination of several classic mmo games, including wow, archeage, lineage etc. There will be no action combat, as this game is classic it keeps the target combat.

It already has unlocked camera and cursor targeting, so what leads you to think it won’t keep those aspect of action combat? The feel of it in general is very ‘action-y’ even though it uses locked targeting for most abilities, which is a good thing to keep players engaged with what’s going on in the game world rather than their UI.

Also, it’s not a game made for older players with lives, because the time commitment required by its systems is tuned to an audience that can comfortably no-life it, aka teenagers and young adults, maybe retired adults which definitely exist but they’re not a large demographic playing MMOs. Even more than most MMOs Ashes will penalize you for a lack of game time.

There is nothing innovative about this game, as I said, it is a sieve of classic MMOs. The combat is hybrid according to Steven and Intrepid, but 95% is tab target, they changed the direction of the combat 2 years ago to adopt it more to classic MMO combat, something that I did not like.

I repeat, it is a niche game, for players 35+ years old, not for teenagers or young people, they will try it but they will not last even 1 week, that is most likely. Even Steven mentioned that the game will not please many, he is not making a modern game that will revolutionize the genre, NW already did it, but it failed in its content, something that many current MMOs fail at.

Modern MMOs share the action combat because that is how it is, games evolve. Steven is creating a classic MMO with more updated graphics. Nothing new.
  • CaerylCaeryl Member
    edited September 9
    Caeryl wrote: »

There is nothing innovative about this game, as I said, it is a sieve of classic MMOs. The combat is hybrid according to Steven and Intrepid, but 95% is tab target, they changed the direction of the combat 2 years ago to adopt it more to classic MMO combat, something that I did not like.

I repeat, it is a niche game, for players 35+ years old, not for teenagers or young people, they will try it but they will not last even 1 week, that is most likely. Even Steven mentioned that the game will not please many, he is not making a modern game that will revolutionize the genre, NW already did it, but it failed in its content, something that many current MMOs fail at.

Modern MMOs share the action combat because that is how it is, games evolve. Steven is creating a classic MMO with more updated graphics. Nothing new.

Except it can’t be a game intended for 35+ adults because even above skill and coordination, Ashes rewards players having long spans of game time. It’s for the no-life playstyle primarily due to the structure of the PvP events like caravans that can take hours, PvX events that require lengthy dungeon crawls while combating other players, and no fast travel instances or quick delivery of marketplace purchased goods.

They can say it’s their audience, but if so then it’s landed wildly off the mark.

An adult with a full time job is not in that demographic who can sustain the playstyle Ashes is calling for. They can’t just drop work, or their kids’ events, or meetings, to take part in a siege with only a few days of notice.

It likewise is going to struggle without the QoL features that are on the wayside because the hope is that nostalgia will keep the rose tinted glasses on, but the younger demographic that can sustain the playstyle needed will be put off by the lack of modern solutions to the headaches of older MMOs. The fast travel, the updated reward structures, PvX potential (as in the 1v5 montage reels).

Edits: There’s ‘niche’ and then there is ‘designed in a way that can’t be enjoyed to the fullest by the target audience without asking them to neglect their real responsibilities’
  • ChaliuxChaliux Member
    edited September 9
    You are terribly wrong. It's not for MMO veterans that are older these days, because AoC design and mechanics appeal to frequent players, to youngsters and (little) real-lifers that will invests 10h every day to stay competitive and to play the different designs that nearly only reward if playing in groups of 8 players or more people. Your assumption to break it down to the type of combat (which is a combination of action combat and tab targeting) is not "old", because you will and have to dodge (for instance) and you can dash ranged attacks (try this in WoW). I've played a lot of MMOs up from DAoC/WoW until New World (also dynamic ones like Tera or Wildstar), and your assumption of "older players" because of "combat system" is wrong for AoC, believe me or not.

Apok wrote: »

What about the dragon doesn't look realistic, funny you are trying to call people fan boys in an attempt to discredit as you are also interacting on the forums.

Granted a guess your point is you need to be on the forums and crap on everything about the game to not be a fan boy. And if there is anything good the game does and you say good things you are a fan boy (which is a pretty stupid take)

visually it looks realistic sure, but animations are horrid, the gameplay for a 2024 world boss is not even close to being up to par, and its not really okay to use the argument '' this is an alpha '' because this world boss, was the EXACT same world boss used 3 years ago, with the exact same mechanics, that intrepid have already got feedback on, most likely the same feedback they have got again on the forums, so why not implement any of it the first time?, was all our previous feedback just scrapped too lol
    Caeryl wrote: »

on the plus side, anyone born this year, will be 35 before this game actually launches maybe thats their marketing strategy
  • ChaliuxChaliux Member
    edited September 9
    visually it looks realistic sure, but animations are horrid, the gameplay for a 2024 world boss is not even close to being up to par, and its not really okay to use the argument '' this is an alpha '' because this world boss, was the EXACT same world boss used 3 years ago, with the exact same mechanics, that intrepid have already got feedback on, most likely the same feedback they have got again on the forums, so why not implement any of it the first time?, was all our previous feedback just scrapped too lol
    That dragon is low to not even avarage encounter design IF one has experience of the other MMOs out there. Perhaps this is amazing for some sort of niche pvp MMO players, but for all other MMO players out there this dragon is lower than avarage. Looking nice, but pve-wise nothing we havent seen in other games - better. So I fully agree.

Feedback: Well, if you tell the potential customers, that you will listen to them during development, you get some sort of engagement (and their money). And you can take this as long as you want to say "iteration - it's done when it's done" to avoid commitments to deadlines and timelines that are usually done in professional and seroius plans and expensive developments with money from other persons.

What they should show their audience is, how this open world encounter will be played if 2-3 groups/guilds play around it / fight against each other. It would be a wipe event consuming a lot, really a lot, of time, and this would not attract players, it would scare them of. But that's the core, that's what the promised target group is like: Fighting in front of a raid boss and wiping due to combination of pve and pvp at the same time, until one group/guild will overwhelm the other group or one group just resigns because its too time consuming and nobody wants to wipe 3h long with 0 progress. No need to add that smaller groups or solo players running around during that event will just bei terminated in seconds without any entertainment. Run around in huge raid groups all the time and you will be a winner (because in this game not everybody will be the winner, as we've heard - well, nobody but only huge groups will win, it's quite simple and trivial).

• Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited September 9
    @Chicago

I don't remember talking about gameplay, when i my point is talking about looks so this would be a compete topic change. Why are you changing the topic and the point of what i was talking about lol?

Anyway if you are talking about gameplay the GW video i showed i can't even count as a dragon fight. The dragon is a set art piece and people seem to be doing events around it and then attacking a static dragon until the next phase starts. Having adds and other mechanics to deal with are great, but to me that looks like bottom tier gameplay if you are talking about an actual dragon fight.

Idk what final fantasy you are talking about, impossible to have a disccusion on this since you are showing 0 examples. I'm going to assume you are trying to bring up end game raiding dragons and trying to compare it to a lvl 25 world boss. IF that is the case that you need to use end game content to compare to mid game content for AoC, that is more of a positive for AoC.

Idk if you are miss typing or I'm missing something but what where was this exact same boss shown 3 years ago?
  • Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited September 9
    Chaliux wrote: »
    That dragon is low to not even avarage encounter design IF one has experience of the other MMOs out there. Perhaps this is amazing for some sort of niche pvp MMO players, but for all other MMO players out there this dragon is lower than avarage. Looking nice, but pve-wise nothing we havent seen in other games - better. So I fully agree.

Feedback: Well, if you tell the potential customers, that you will listen to them during development, you get some sort of engagement (and their money). And you can take this as long as you want to say "iteration - it's done when it's done" to avoid commitments to deadlines and timelines that are usually done in professional and seroius plans and expensive developments with money from other persons.

What they should show their audience is, how this open world encounter will be played if 2-3 groups/guilds play around it / fight against each other. It would be a wipe event consuming a lot, really a lot, of time, and this would not attract players, it would scare them of. But that's the core, that's what the promised target group is like: Fighting in front of a raid boss and wiping due to combination of pve and pvp at the same time, until one group/guild will overwhelm the other group or one group just resigns because its too time consuming and nobody wants to wipe 3h long with 0 progress. No need to add that smaller groups or solo players running around during that event will just bei terminated in seconds without any entertainment. Run around in huge raid groups all the time and you will be a winner (because in this game not everybody will be the winner, as we've heard - well, nobody but only huge groups will win, it's quite simple and trivial).

I'm curious what are you comparing this to, what fights in other mmorpgs that are just below mid level?
  • ApokApok Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

usually when people want to argue a point, they argue using facts they don't come in calling people sad and putting others down. So if you're not doing some fanboy bs what are you doing?

usually when people want to argue a point, they argue using facts they don't come in calling people sad and putting others down. So if you're not doing some fanboy bs what are you doing?

I'd just ignore that person. I've been posting and reading the forums for several years and I don't think I've ever seen them actually post anything of value lol I have them on ignore so I don't have to waste any time scrolling past their nonsense.

The level of snowflake is actually silly, you are putting the word "sad" in my mouth. Use the words I've spoken not made up things you are referencing.

My point being someone who doesn't understand development (that they have admitted themselves) is having a bad take and making a toxic thread.

Imagine you had the same energy about a thread as toxic as this, and the misinformation that is being spread.

Someone here makes things up and your response for people calling them out that they are fan boys. You aren't even bringing anything to this discussion. If you have something of value to input go for it, else stop wasting my time with responses like this.