Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What is the most important aspect of an MMORPG, for you, that you want Ashes of Creation to execute?

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited February 2018
    wowfood said:
    This isn't exactly the most important aspect but it kinda is at the same time.

The economy.  I've played too many games where the economy has ruined it for new players.  You get in early?  Great, buying that bronze for your level 1 blacksmith is cheap and affordable.  A few years later when gold sellers take over, it'll now take you a week of grinding to get enough money to buy a single piece, let alone a stack.

Same with gear.  New player who ants to get into the game, but can't afford to buy any gear, because people on their third alts are bidding millions for items which simply aren't worth it just so they can be twinked out.  (i'm lookingat you WoW)

I honestly hope that there are some controls in place in this game in order to prevent that kind of thing from happening, 
    ----------------

Second place idea is options.  I don't mind partying, but I hate being forced to.  I think partying up should help with doing certain things, but they shouldn't be the only way to progress.  As an example of good and bad.  Bad is FFXI, you hit level 14, and from then on in order to level you have to party up, you want to log in for half an hour and grind a bit?  Nope, because you gotta  spend most of that time finding a party.  

Good was FFXIV, you can go the entire game (up until raids really) and not need to party up at all, it makes it faster, but you don't have to.   

Great points. I did not think to mention the economy aspect myself. But that is very true, it has probably killed a lot of mmo's when ppl pretty much can't get into the game later on. The answer is to not leave such a huge gap when it comes to economic differences between the lvls, and allow relatively new(say lvl 20 out of 60-100) players to gain decent amounts of revenue(almost as easily as max lvl players). The caravan's could be one of the answers to such dilemma's.

PS. One would have to limit the amount of easily/effectively(doesn't have to be easy, in terms of effort, just in terms of time put in) gained revenue they could gather each week/day however. To keep the balance in the higher lvl's economy. This allows both sides to keep functioning.
  • Options
    For me, its gotta be solid core gameplay.  if combat is the thing I'm doing the most in this game it needs to be nearly as good the 50,000th time as the 50th. the MMO I currently play is GW2 and that's simply because combat is fun! if ashes can accomplish that with a good community then all the other features are just icing on the cake.
  • Options
    This isn't something to worry over right now but I thought I would mention it. 

Pixar's Cars. You have your journey along the road. The twists and turns. Quests that have you going here and there. Sceanic sites, small but nice towns and villages. You make your way to your end game but you live and enjoy the entire journey.

A year or three later. Highway. Experience pouring from a straight line, Point A to Point B, with nothing much in between just to get new players to end game.

And just like that nice little show, all the sights and locations are left to nothing.
  • Options
    A dynamic living and breathing world were I feel i can make a tiny contribution and carve out my little corner whilst being part of a larger community. 
  • Options

Добрый день.

Было бы здорово использовать у монстров механику объединения. Например, ударил одного монстра, а к тебе бегут несколько.

Допустим, у некоторых монстров есть зона вызова. При атаке монстра он зовет всех, кто находится в радиусе его «зова».

Это вынудит игроков изучать монстров, быть осторожными с монстрами, которые имеют стадные чувства. Быть аккуратными и находить возможности что бы притянуть только одного монстра или нескольких, но не больше чем игрок сможет справиться.

I will use a mechanical translator. (Thanks, Google)

Good afternoon.

It would be great to use the mechanics of the unification of the monsters. For example, hit one monster, and several run to you.

Let's say some monsters have a call area. When attacking a monster, he calls everyone who is in the radius of his "call."

This will force players to study monsters, be careful with monsters that have gregarious feelings. Be neat and find opportunities to attract only one monster or several, but no more than the player will be able to cope.

• Options

Добрый день.

Было бы здорово использовать у монстров механику объединения. Например, ударил одного монстра, а к тебе бегут несколько.

Допустим, у некоторых монстров есть зона вызова. При атаке монстра он зовет всех, кто находится в радиусе его «зова».

Это вынудит игроков изучать монстров, быть осторожными с монстрами, которые имеют стадные чувства. Быть аккуратными и находить возможности что бы притянуть только одного монстра или нескольких, но не больше чем игрок сможет справиться.

I will use a mechanical translator. (Thanks, Google)

Good afternoon.

It would be great to use the mechanics of the unification of the monsters. For example, hit one monster, and several run to you.

Let's say some monsters have a call area. When attacking a monster, he calls everyone who is in the radius of his "call."

This will force players to study monsters, be careful with monsters that have gregarious feelings. Be neat and find opportunities to attract only one monster or several, but no more than the player will be able to cope.

Добрый день,

I will just write in English if it's ok. I think that's a great idea, and I hope this game will have some version of what you are proposing. Herd instincts ("gregarious feelings" in google's translation) on the part of monsters would make things much more interesting for players. I am all in favor of a system where the player is forced to study monster behavior instead of simply attacking them (something like Horizon Zero Dawn). It would be nice if we had to come up with actual tactics when facing enemies instead of just running up to them and attacking.
  • Options
    Optimization and classes balance, also after so much time spended i hope aoc is shouldnt be a deadborn child
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    The most important aspect for me would be character customization, character models, fashion & animations. I don’t care about anything else, really. IS just needs to get these categories right for me and other people whose end game is fashion and looking super cute ❤️
  • Options
    AIice said:
    The most important aspect for me would be character customization, character models, fashion & animations. I don’t care about anything else, really. IS just needs to get these categories right for me and other people whose end game is fashion and looking super cute ❤️
    Thinking about the way the game looks I don't think there will be many overly 'cute' outifts, though that depends on what falls into that category for you.
  • Options
    There isn't one main thing that is the most important. There are several MMOs out there that do one or two of the things I like great, but then are horrible in other regards. I have to say there are at least 3 main things I look for in an MMO.

- How easy is it to play with friends? I have friends that might not play the game in the beginning when I do, or they might level way faster/slower than I do, or they may just suck ass at the game. I want to know that I can group up with them as much as possible and do as much content as we can together. Not just while leveling either. I want to be able to do things with them 2,5,10 years down the line.

- How much can I customize my character? I spend a ton of time in character creation, and then I spend even more time after creating my character customizing them even more. There have been months that I played WoW simply because I was collecting gear for different appearance outfits. Customization is a great way to extend droughts of interest in the game's other systems.

- Is the combat good? Good is a hard thing to nail down. I love WoW, GW2, and TERA, but I only like ESO and BDO. Most other games absolutely bore me with their combat. Since combat is what people will be doing for a huge majority of their active play time, there needs to be a very fluid, interesting, and fun combat system in the game.
  • Options
    Immersion.
    It's the thing that most new MMORPG lacks for me.
    The atmosphere made by the music, the design of the world, etc., is what makes me play the game 2 hours or 2 years.
  • Options
    NO PAY 2 WIN!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I would love to see...

1.  Player Controlled Bosses
    Randomly Selected Players have an Opportunity to reek havoc over the world 

2. A PVP Arena with Solo/Team Fights; that people can wager on

3. More Immersion
    If the spells/skills were more like selecting a line of keys (PC Only), that would cause an effect (Short Cut to assigning skills to a bar)

4. Customizable Armor/Weapons
    If these Items were dropped down into smaller categories, you could customize the Armor and make it more unique. Say for instance: Breastplate = Chest Pc + Stomach Pc
  • Options
    Indiviualization! Character custimization, unique gear in crafting that only a master crafter can use. Things that makes one unique and individual. Things that set you apart from the 10.000 other wizards etc.. not like Wow where every pala ingame transmog judement set etc...
  • Options
    I think that having a good co-op system would be awesome. Like actually having a city that you and your friends can run and protect. Also having the ability to have support classes that can help your allies might be a good thing. Obviously it wouldn't be a dedicated support, because each character wants to be able to fight on their own, not relying on others to constantly protect them, but a character that can heal, give damage buffs, defense buffs, speed buffs, create obstacles, etc. I think that having an mmorpg that is based on the players working together would be an amazing experience and a very good way for the players to work together and grow as a community. Having a happy, unified gaming community makes the game even more enjoyable. Obviously there will always be problems, but if the game emphasized or at least incorporated co-op, it might make the game much more unified.
  • Options
    Hi all - first post and what a topic to post it on ;)

What do I want in a game?  In short I want it to be epic.  No, I don't have to be epic, but the story should be, specifically the meta story.  Everything that is happening in the world is a clue to the grand story that is going on, something so big that no one can really see it or believe it.  Something stirs deep in Mordor, but it will be years before it comes forth.  Meanwhile we're all just living, adventuring, having fun and hopefully sometimes discovering clues to the Grand Question of what is actually happening so we can hopefully discover the correct way to stop it before the great evil sweeps over the land.

Which game did this the best?  Actually none have and I've played or tested UO, AC, EQ, SWG and WOW.  To get that grand sense of danger, I have to go all the way back to pre-computer times, Gary Gygax and his world of Greyhawk.  The meta-story was that the demon Uiz was working his way back into corporeal form, but most players never knew.  It was only the greatest that got a hint of it in a book in a library or a magic gem in a dragon's lair that nobody knew what to do with.  In the end, it was a giant puzzle and players would have to solve it to stave off disaster for the next 100 years.  Or maybe just a year or two.

So that's what I've got - I'm more excited about this game than I have been about a MMO in a very long time...cautious, but excited.
  • Options
    For me it has to be ensuring the gameplay is community based and calls upon groups of all sizes, styles and skills to advance the nodes in collaboration rather than competition. If that aspect fails, then the real foundation stone of ashes will be lost and its true paradigm shift worth no more than anything else out there.
  • Options
    Engaging content:

I hate how most mmorpg's have the same dungeons with the same mobs/ bosses and their skills never change. A great way around this where its more engaging is (like loot) have a mob and skill bank that the mobs get generated from and the skills they have are randomly selected as well so its never just a repetition contest. 

And once "raids" start i really hate the whole stage system on a boss encounters. Some way to make it different every time your party encounters it would raise the difficulty that "hardcore" players seek. 

Bosses should also learn from their encounters not just the players. This way of randomizing could achieve this. Your party wipes, while your respawning and returning, the boss is also changing how he fights. This would make completing dungeons and raids much much more gratifying. (keep the randomizing true to lore and mob capabilities tho)

This system could also expand with the node expansion or degrading. 

I also think group content should be hard and scale based on highest party level(not just HP). 

This would be time consuming but set this game apart from any other game, and the gratification from clearing content for PVE players would be so much more gratifying. 
  • Options
    Just 1 aspect? Too hard. Here are my top ones:

1) To not use 'grinds' as a means to rewards, and to instead have actual content to getting said rewards. I.e. quest chains, difficult tasks vs kill x 50 times for tokens to trade in.

2) An economy where 'every single item' that can be gathered/farmed has some purpose so that players who just love doing x even though it makes little $$ feel like their providing a useful service/utility.

3) Utilisation of the game world - (new) content should utilise the game world the devs so painstakingly craft. It's sad when there is no reason to revisit a zone after levelling through it.

4) Gear variety. This I cannot overstate. Gear that supports a variety of play styles so that players can feel unique in their character development. 

5) The ability to craft the most powerful gear. Real heroes don't use the hand-me-down drops from past heroes - they create their own legends.

6) Absolutely no pay to win or pay to convenience. 

7) Most Important of all - absolute minimal randomness in rewards. Players should have an idea that killing x will give them y. Make the challenge in killing x rather than creating artificial and superficial challenge in having to kill x 50 times (relates back to 1).

If an AoC dev reads this - keep up the awesome work! We're all cheering for you :)
  • Options
    For me, the most important part is that they really nail the feeling of "The world is controlled by the players". For me atleast, it is just so satisfying and fun to know that if you put enough hard work and effort you could be one of the top people on the server and actually have stuff to do other than brag.
  • Options
    I would love to see events that are actual events; I remember in AC where a DEV would actually take over a world boss and that boss would pick players up and throw them or help them if they came across a boss that was to difficult.

I know its not going to happen but also the ability to put points into my character the way I want to..so if I want 100 in jump and 5 in sword that is MY choice to make my character great or gimped!
  • Options
    What aspect(s) is most important to you?  What games have exemplified this aspect and how would you approve upon it if possible?

For me, the combat mechanics are the most important aspect of the game, because they dictate whether I can play the game or not. Let me explain:

I have rheumatoid arthritis which has affected my hands badly, so I have to use adaptive technology to use a computer at all, namely a modified trackball and keyboard, and voice recognition software. Reliance on these has meant that most current MMORPGs, as they move more and more towards high-action combat mechanics, are unplayable, especially if they don't allow for remapping of keys/controls. I *really* like the look of Ashes of Creation so far, not least due to the importance of crafting (which is a real source of pleasure for me, along with exploration), so I'm fervently hoping that the combat system will be flexible enough for me to manage it.

Anyone with hand problems simply can't use any combat system which relies entirely on reaction speed and rapid hand movements, especially if both hands are required at the same time, but if the system has fluid key/function remapping, and allows the use of macros during combat, this can be overcome to a certain extent. Basically, if I don't have to dance my toon around like a dervish during an encounter, and especially if I can lock on to a single target (or use AOE skills) I can cope with combat. If, however, the combat system demands moving around, the game is a total bust for me. So, please, PLEASE, PLEASE, consider this when you're developing the combat mechanics, as there are a considerable number of disabled players out there, and many of us have hand/wrist impairments.

One of the games I loved, and which was easy to play was Vanguard (I'm still mourning the demise of this excellent game, ignored into retirement by Sony), and more currently ESO and WoW are still manageable, in fact WoW even allows the use of my voice recognition s/w, so that helps. I want to play this game, it looks very promising, so please don't bar me, and the many other disabled gamers, from playing it because of a frenetic combat system.
  • Options
    compwitch said:
    What aspect(s) is most important to you?  What games have exemplified this aspect and how would you approve upon it if possible?

For me, the combat mechanics are the most important aspect of the game, because they dictate whether I can play the game or not. Let me explain:

I have rheumatoid arthritis which has affected my hands badly, so I have to use adaptive technology to use a computer at all, namely a modified trackball and keyboard, and voice recognition software. Reliance on these has meant that most current MMORPGs, as they move more and more towards high-action combat mechanics, are unplayable, especially if they don't allow for remapping of keys/controls. I *really* like the look of Ashes of Creation so far, not least due to the importance of crafting (which is a real source of pleasure for me, along with exploration), so I'm fervently hoping that the combat system will be flexible enough for me to manage it.

Anyone with hand problems simply can't use any combat system which relies entirely on reaction speed and rapid hand movements, especially if both hands are required at the same time, but if the system has fluid key/function remapping, and allows the use of macros during combat, this can be overcome to a certain extent. Basically, if I don't have to dance my toon around like a dervish during an encounter, and especially if I can lock on to a single target (or use AOE skills) I can cope with combat. If, however, the combat system demands moving around, the game is a total bust for me. So, please, PLEASE, PLEASE, consider this when you're developing the combat mechanics, as there are a considerable number of disabled players out there, and many of us have hand/wrist impairments.

One of the games I loved, and which was easy to play was Vanguard (I'm still mourning the demise of this excellent game, ignored into retirement by Sony), and more currently ESO and WoW are still manageable, in fact WoW even allows the use of my voice recognition s/w, so that helps. I want to play this game, it looks very promising, so please don't bar me, and the many other disabled gamers, from playing it because of a frenetic combat system.
    Sorry to hear @compwitch. Ashes uses a combination of tab target and action targeting. Each skill is either one or the other and players can choose which skills to put on their hotbar. Through these choices you can favor the playstyle that you prefer.

This was explained on the following livestream: 
    Livestream, 16 November 2017 (30:45)

Hope this offers some comfort regarding the combat system <3
  • Options
    Open world raids. DAoC used to have the old dragon raid. Could take like 5 guilds to kill the thing. It was always there so you had some clan farmers killing it sometimes (could probably prevent that) but the raids were great when we got them together. Ventrilo back in the day.
    Would even see like to see the raids change the landscape. Kill a dragon rampaging the area and open the land for a keep to be built on it's fallen corpse.
  • Options
    I would love to see player crafted weapons ect actually be useful. I hate when you get into crafting and there is no real point to making weapons or armour because you can just go run a dungeon and by pass it by a lot. Also i really hope they don't force us to do dungeon's to progress. 
  • Options
    After thinking it over for a long time, I have decided to make a shorter comment as an after-thought. This is not as encompassing as my first, but in the end, no less important, and can potentially solve them all:

"Not ignoring the issues, and not enforcing bad decisions that the players hate."
    Most MMO's tend to do this, sooner or later. They know there's a giant issue, they're called out on it, it's not that hard to fix - But they never fix it. At the end of the day, some random smoch puts up a random server and fixes it(proving it really wasn't that hard. No matter what they say). And when I see this, I get the urge to vomit. If not for legal issues, and marketing issues, these people would steal most of the players. And I am starting to think they should, as companies never change their attitudes and act dismissively towards theit customers.

Is this point not why we're all really here? Because they promise to actually listen?(Although I am still somewhat disappointed that my rather vocal question, asked by many others besides me has yet to be answered. Regarding the magic schools/magic system/Shadowmancers/Shadow Casters/Necromancers).
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @compwitch rest assured I raised this point many months ago and I am pretty sure Intrepid is well aware. So hang on in there.

I tried to steer the combat toward tactical combat, rather than spam combat for this very reason. It allows everyone's minds to work at a fast pace, even if the hands dont need to or cant. Turning a game into a spamfest of finger gymnastics really only supports the younger generation with unimpeded nimble fingers and twitch reflexes...or those using computers to play the game for them. Neither of these are desirable in the long term for a wide variety of playerbase IMHO.
  • Options
    @compwitch As Rune says above this. They are aware and have promised to add as many accessibility options as they can to the game. Things like red/green color blindness toggles have been confirmed. There is at least one permanently disabled player in the Phoenix Initiative that is also advocating for players with different disabilities, so while all we have are promises, they haven't show a disregard towards making the game friendly to play for those with possible issues. There is extensive UI customization planned, and while there may not be macro support, reworking of keymaps is also a given. And finally, being two years out, we may get controller support, or at least a nod and wink towards those using emulators.
  • Options
    Ravudha said:
    Just 1 aspect? Too hard. Here are my top ones:

1) To not use 'grinds' as a means to rewards, and to instead have actual content to getting said rewards. I.e. quest chains, difficult tasks vs kill x 50 times for tokens to trade in.

2) An economy where 'every single item' that can be gathered/farmed has some purpose so that players who just love doing x even though it makes little $$ feel like their providing a useful service/utility.

3) Utilisation of the game world - (new) content should utilise the game world the devs so painstakingly craft. It's sad when there is no reason to revisit a zone after levelling through it.

4) Gear variety. This I cannot overstate. Gear that supports a variety of play styles so that players can feel unique in their character development. 

5) The ability to craft the most powerful gear. Real heroes don't use the hand-me-down drops from past heroes - they create their own legends.

6) Absolutely no pay to win or pay to convenience. 

7) Most Important of all - absolute minimal randomness in rewards. Players should have an idea that killing x will give them y. Make the challenge in killing x rather than creating artificial and superficial challenge in having to kill x 50 times (relates back to 1).

If an AoC dev reads this - keep up the awesome work! We're all cheering for you :)
    #4, I also want this. When I play a summoner or heavy pet user I want gear that will affect them. Hopefully directly. Giving them a skill, additional stats, passive bonuses. All that stuff. The closest I have seen that is in Final Fantasy XI, where there was gear that affected the Dragoon's Wyvern.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Combat! Since you spend a lot of your time fighting mobs whether it be in dungeons, questing or PVP Its got to be fun and engaging. Not going to say its the best system for everyone, but blade & soul and BDO both hit the nail on the head with their combat.

Pressing key combinations to perform skills. Key combinations should flow in from each other to link skills together.
    For example:
    shift + LMB -> shift + f -> f 
    Hold shift + LMB to perform a skill, let go of LMB and hold shift + f to flow to another skill, then let go of shift and keep holding f to do another flowing skill. (along with this cool flashy animations to make you feel like a badass whilst doing them is a must) The fluidity of this is so satisfying.

You could even add to this to allow other players to press a key when prompted to add to the other players skill causing additional damage/buffs/healing (eg: like the elder scrolls online synergies).

I hope there will be a combination of fast paced and slower combat.