Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What features you dislike in MMOs and hope Ashes won't have?

Comments

• Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    "in a game where the primary focuses are Node progression, Religious progression, Social Org progression"
    "No one has said that there is any primary progression focus in Ashes. "

I am sorry, I do not want further discussion with you.

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Tsukasa wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    ferryman wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    ferryman wrote: »
    @UndeadCanadianGamer Yes I have red the information behind the races, nothing special there, and with generic races I referred for humans, elfs, dwarfs and Orcs. All seen too many times in too many games already.

It was good you remind me we are not in Alpha 1 yet, I had forgotten that already... *sigh*

The most used (and worst) argument in these forums for everything. *facepalm*

I do wish games would expand into other races or at least have their own unique races

Yeah that could be one option and will hopefully also happen with future expansions. Still it would be nice to have something less used or unique, and straight from the start, but I understand it may be too late to demand such a thing. I guess you had something like skaven or undead in your mind? ;)

not many games let you play as undead but what I had in mind was races like naga or demons you know something you only see as npcs

1b1d438d9dfd110d2f8bfdff421b2a3f.png
    While doing it I realized that both concept arts have same upperbody pose "charging energy". You could actually merge them into a more realistic look.

whats even better is I have both of those items ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I have spoken directly with the game devs several times.
    Yeah, not something to brag about - we've all seen you asking questions without offering up full context, receiving answers based on a different context and then assuming the answer given was under the assumption of the context you had in mind but didn't actually mention.

Lets be clear here, the original person that asked the question said they don't like content locked behind storylines. Not main quests. Not "the main quest".

Storylines.

You said
    I'm not really sure what "main storyline" means when we will primarily be focused on progressing regions and Nodes and Religious and Social organizations.
    In response to a question about content locked behind story lines.

That amounts to you saying that you do not think that progressing regions and Nodes and Religious and Social organizations will involve stories.

All I am saying is that each of those things WILL have a story, a story that is likely interconnected in some way, and that there may or may not be content locked behind those stories.

You seem to disagree with that, somehow.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2019
    Magic Man wrote: »
    @Dygz I find most quests in MMORPGs tedious as well; they make it feel too 'artificial'. I like the idea of there being quests that reward me for what i plan to do in the first place and yes it is always good to know more about the place and its past etc as long as the story is told in a good way (people say FFXIV is great and all with story telling but i find it too brain dead and dunno how to feel when people say such things :| ) then they say ''it's a great RPG, just not your thing'' and i'm like...suuuure.

As for my ideal progression in an MMO - I'd like to have a pure sandbox with quests that relate to lore and imo they should always remain optional for progression. i.e make everything a player does that ultimately help a node develop (which should be the main goal of all players) rewarding including PvP - it should be a good way to boost XP. This might be too far fetched for Ashes as they want to have quests for everything. You want a license - quest, want to remove your corruption - quest, want to obtain augments - quests, want to launch a mayoral caravan - quests.
    Mmmmn. So....
    In vanilla EQ, IIRC, even figuring out the keywords to trigger the quest givers to give you a quest rather than lore was tedious. And then the quests were typically epic quests for some legendary item.
    EQ2 quests were more like WoW quests. I don't find those quests to be tedious because they just reward significantly more xp than what I would receive via grinding.
    Grinding is going to be slow because progression in RPG is supposed to be relatively slow. It's not really supposed to be that we reach max level in a 3-6 weeks.

For me, I would rather be gathering up NPC related stories in the region where I'm adventuring. I like helping people, so, if I can get a significant amount of xp as a reward for helping an NPC collect resources that I'm going to be grinding in any case, that's great.

In Wizard101, players do have to complete main storyline quests in order to gain access to new worlds. Technically, it's possible to ignore the main storyline and still progress, but I don't know why anyone would want to do so in that game.
    In Wow, I've played the carebear challenge (no killing) by only gathering resources. You basically have to ignore the main storyline to successfully completer the carebear challenge -- reaching max level with no kills.

Ashes is a themebox. There will be plenty of progression that is tied to quests and plenty of progression that is not tied to quests. We can progress our characters via exploration or via Caravan runs or Sieges or by erecting specific buildings in towns and cities and metros without those activities being tied to quests. There will likely also be some quests available for those activities.
    But, Ashes isn't really about an individual player character being required to pursue a specific set of quests in order to progress. If you don't want to participate in a quest to kill the Winter Dragon, you won't have to. Other players will likely kill the Winter Dragon for you.
    On the other hand, you might want to kill the Winter Dragon - quest or no quest - in order to quickly put an end to the perpetual winter plaguing your town. When Winter Drakelings attack your city, you won't have to go grab a quest to defend your city. And the result of that attack will progress the narrative whether you win that battle or lose.
    If you win that battle, you will gain significant rewards despite it not being a quest.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Ghoosty wrote: »
    "in a game where the primary focuses are Node progression, Religious progression, Social Org progression"
    "No one has said that there is any primary progression focus in Ashes. "

I am sorry, I do not want further discussion with you.
    Ha. You completely change the meaning of the first quote by not including the first part of the sentence.

The complete sentence in the first quote states: "What I’m responding to is the notion of “doing the main storyline to unlock something” in a game where the primary focuses are Node progression, Religious progression, Social Org progression, Caravan runs and Sieges."
    Notice that I include Caravans runs and Sieges as primary focuses for Ashes gameplay.
    That is not the same thing as stating that one type of progression has a greater focus than any other type of progression.

Where you say, "Nobody said that the religious and social org progression is a primary focus..."
    No devs have talked about things locked behind a main storyline, as far as I know. I'm not aware of the devs mentioning anything about a main storyline.
    The devs have talked about how Node progression and Religious progression and Social progression and Caravan runs and Sieges impact gameplay. These are the features the devs primarily focus on when discussing Ashes gameplay that impacts the world, rather than talking about a "main storyline".
  • Options
    @Dygz In that sentence you listed the primary focuses, later you denied that there is any primary focuses. If we extend the list with another primary focus it will not change the the meaning of the sentence.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    noaani wrote: »
    Lets be clear here, the original person that asked the question said they don't like content locked behind storylines. Not main quests. Not "the main quest".
    Storylines.
    Um. Here is the full quote:
    "Content or ability to progress that is locked behind hours of story mode. I really hated it when I had to suffer for so many days in some games doing the main storyline just to be able to progress/unlock something as it was the only way to obtain that specific thing. I think there should be some alternative to that. Not everyone likes to do storyline (so-called main quests) in games."

Lets be clear that main quests is mentioned and main quests is presented to be synonymous with main storyline.

In response to a question about content locked behind story lines, you said:
    "I'm not really sure what "main storyline" means when we will primarily be focused on progressing regions and Nodes and Religious and Social organizations."

That amounts to you saying that you do not think that progressing regions and Nodes and Religious and Social organizations will involve stories.
    Nope. That, again, is your poor reading comprehension.
    The terms used were "main storyline" and "main quests". The key points there being main.
    Progressing regions and Nodes and Religious and Social organizations are modular components than can be completed in many different orders and configurations - resulting in different servers having significantly different narratives.
    So, I don't understand how there can be a "main storyline" or a "main quest line".
    It's not like we will all (every server) be systematically progressing through one main storyline, like Wrath Of The Lich King.
    That is not at all the same thing as saying that those modular pieces -progressing regions and Nodes and Religious and Social organizations- won't be connected to stories or quests.

All I am saying is that each of those things WILL have a story, a story that is likely interconnected in some way, and that there may or may not be content locked behind those stories.
    You seem to disagree with that, somehow.
    Seems that way to you because of your poor reading comprehension, but I agree with that.
    What I said is that I'm not sure what is meant by "main storyline" when we have these modular components that can be completed in a different order and in different configurations, resulting in significantly different worlds and significantly different narratives.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    @Dygz In that sentence you listed the primary focuses, later you denied that there is any primary focuses. If we extend the list with another primary focus it will not change the the meaning of the sentence.
    In the first quote I listed several features that devs have stated we will be focused on - as far as I know they have never mentioned a "main storyline" and the modular nature of the features a listed seem to preclude a "main storyline" that all servers will be focused on. Which is why I said that I'm not sure what "main storyline" means.

Later, I said that no one said there were primary progression focuses.
    That quote does not say, "No one said there are no primary focuses."
    Two different topics.

I contrasted a list of gameplay features the devs have said players will be focused on against the concept of a "main storyline": a speculative feature I've heard nothing about, AFAIK.
    You then made an argument contrasting Religious and Social Org progression v Node progression.
    And I replied that that argument is beside the point... it's really a separate topic.
  • Options

@Dygz I find most quests in MMORPGs tedious as well; they make it feel too 'artificial'. I like the idea of there being quests that reward me for what i plan to do in the first place and yes it is always good to know more about the place and its past etc as long as the story is told in a good way (people say FFXIV is great and all with story telling but i find it too brain dead and dunno how to feel when people say such things :| ) then they say ''it's a great RPG, just not your thing'' and i'm like...suuuure.

As for my ideal progression in an MMO - I'd like to have a pure sandbox with quests that relate to lore and imo they should always remain optional for progression. i.e make everything a player does that ultimately help a node develop (which should be the main goal of all players) rewarding including PvP - it should be a good way to boost XP. This might be too far fetched for Ashes as they want to have quests for everything. You want a license - quest, want to remove your corruption - quest, want to obtain augments - quests, want to launch a mayoral caravan - quests.
    Mmmmn. So....
    In vanilla EQ, IIRC, even figuring out the keywords to trigger the quest givers to give you a quest rather than lore was tedious. And then the quests were typically epic quests for some legendary item.
    EQ2 quests were more like WoW quests. I don't find those quests to be tedious because they just reward significantly more xp than what I would receive via grinding.
    Grinding is going to be slow because progression in RPG is supposed to be relatively slow. It's not really supposed to be that we reach max level in a 3-6 weeks.

For me, I would rather be gathering up NPC related stories in the region where I'm adventuring. I like helping people, so, if I can get a significant amount of xp as a reward for helping an NPC collect resources that I'm going to be grinding in any case, that's great.

In Wizard101, players do have to complete main storyline quests in order to gain access to new worlds. Technically, it's possible to ignore the main storyline and still progress, but I don't know why anyone would want to do so in that game.
    In Wow, I've played the carebear challenge (no killing) by only gathering resources. You basically have to ignore the main storyline to successfully completer the carebear challenge -- reaching max level with no kills.

Ashes is a themebox. There will be plenty of progression that is tied to quests and plenty of progression that is not tied to quests. We can progress our characters via exploration or via Caravan runs or Sieges or by erecting specific buildings in towns and cities and metros without those activities being tied to quests. There will likely also be some quests available for those activities.
    But, Ashes isn't really about an individual player character being required to pursue a specific set of quests in order to progress. If you don't want to participate in a quest to kill the Winter Dragon, you won't have to. Other players will likely kill the Winter Dragon for you.
    On the other hand, you might want to kill the Winter Dragon - quest or no quest - in order to quickly put an end to the perpetual winter plaguing your town. When Winter Drakelings attack your city, you won't have to go grab a quest to defend your city. And the result of that attack will progress the narrative whether you win that battle or lose.
    If you win that battle, you will gain significant rewards despite it not being a quest.

Yes he clearly misunderstood nvm that :D What bothers me is the uncertainty tbh. What if i have to keep quests all the time till i each max level because it is the most efficient way of gaining XP? Honestly, i want to be left alone and do whatever i want - helping something or someone, doing things and being rewarded for them. When someone tells me 'you need this quest to achieve this' etc i find myself in a position where my freedom is restricted. I want to feel the adrenaline early on (level 10 - 15) by engaging in PvP and kill some mobs that aren't mindless creatures and actually offer a challenge. Don't get me wrong, i like quests when they are fun and interesting. What i'm against is having to rely on them and gameplay consisting of chain quests that take you to level 50 (or whatever is the max lvl). Sure, other stuff will give XP as well but would it really compare to what you get from quests which takes you nicely from lvl 1 to 50? I plan on asking that question for the livestream this month.
    signature.png
  • Options
    Lets be clear that main quests is mentioned and main quests is presented to be synonymous with main storyline.
    See, this is something I totally disagree with - based on that original post - for two reasons.

First, the poster doesn't want content locked behind long quest based story telling. This is the gist of what was being said.

I doubt someone that dislikes having to unlock content by doing a quest actually gives a shit if that quest is a part of the main story of the game, or part of a secondary story of the game.

The second reason I totally disagree with what you have said is because there are many RPG's that have multiple quest lines that players refer to as "main quest lines".

Look at Skyrim as an example. You have the main quest line, but people also refer to the mages guild quest line as the "main quest line" for the mages guild. Same can be said for most factions in the game (and most factions in other Elder Scrolls games as well).

This will hopefully hold true in Ashes as well. While there should be a story based quest line for each social organization, religion etc, if there are also other, smaller quests then it is perfectly reasonable (and expected, tbh) for players to refer to the story based quest line of those factions as the "main quest line" of the faction.

I'm willing to agree that this isn't a term you've head much - but all that means is that you are more of a solo gamer than a social one. With this info in mind though go back and read the post in question asking yourself if it makes more sense that the poster is ONLY talking about a single main quest line for the whole game (the post makes almost no sense in that context) or if it makes more sense that he is talking about main quest lines of individual groups or areas etc.

• Options
    @noaani
    The OP can clarify what was meant by "main storyline" and "storyline (main quest)".
    What you've written, of course, does not clarify what was meant.
    Also, your conclusion about me being a "solo gamer rather than a social one" is false...as usual.

• Options
    What bothers me is the uncertainty tbh. What if i have to keep quests all the time till i each max level because it is the most efficient way of gaining XP? Honestly, i want to be left alone and do whatever i want - helping something or someone, doing things and being rewarded for them. When someone tells me 'you need this quest to achieve this' etc i find myself in a position where my freedom is restricted. I want to feel the adrenaline early on (level 10 - 15) by engaging in PvP and kill some mobs that aren't mindless creatures and actually offer a challenge. Don't get me wrong, i like quests when they are fun and interesting. What i'm against is having to rely on them and gameplay consisting of chain quests that take you to level 50 (or whatever is the max lvl). Sure, other stuff will give XP as well but would it really compare to what you get from quests which takes you nicely from lvl 1 to 50? I plan on asking that question for the livestream this month.
    Well, but that's why I mentioned Caravan runs and Sieges. We get xp from those activities and even from exploration. You don't have to grab a Caravan quest before participating in a Caravan run. You don't have to grab a quest to participate in a Siege. You don't have to grab a quest to defend your town from a monster attack.
    It is likely that there will be plenty of quests that provide extra rewards for most activities. And it is likely that completing quests will be the most efficient way of gaining xp - that's what quests are for.

But, Castle sieges, Node sieges and defending/attacking Caravan runs are forms of PvP combat that should provide a reasonable amount of xp even without being associated with quests.
    I think the issue isn't so much about whether non-quest activities provide xp that is comparable to quest activities, but whether non-quest activities give so little xp that leveling without quests feels like a grind.

I think the devs will tell you that there is plenty to do to gain xp at a reasonable pace even without focusing on quests. But, it's great to get clarification directly from the devs.
  • Options
    May be not, but it does point out to you that you were wrong to assume that you were absolutely right in your assumption.

Even if your assumption does turn out to be true (which I doubt - and I doubt the poster in question will ever clear it up) you were wrong in assuming you were right.

• Options
    The quest discussion could make a thread on its own already :D

Personally Im fine with having content locked behind quests as long as they make sense.
    An ogre city too dangerous to be explored, but after a questline you make friends with ogres and they allow you to visit their city and trade with them.
    This type of quest isnt forced on everyone, but say youre a merchant and ogre city has unique reagents. Youd probably like to complete the quest to make profit.

I also hope there wont be too many quests, because in WoW, completing hundreds of tedious quests creates an atmosphere where even the ones that could be interesting are tedious.
    Having less quests makes them more meaningful.

I dislike main storylines because theyre usually too rewarding or in other ways forced down on u. The stories can sometimes be enjoyable but they could be enjoyable as regular questlines.
    I would really love to have a feeling of freedom in AoC.

"You're seeking for perfection, but your disillusions are leading to destruction.
    You're bleeding for salvation, but you can't see that you are the damnation itself." -Norther
  • Options
    I also hope there wont be too many quests, because in WoW, completing hundreds of tedious quests creates an atmosphere where even the ones that could be interesting are tedious.
    Having less quests makes them more meaningful.
    I had 5,000 quests completed when I stopped playing EQ2.

Some quests can be tedious, absolutely.

My hope for any major quest line in Ashes (or any MMORPG) is that there is someone that QC's the quest line as a whole - not just for bugs, but also to make sure it is generally enjoyable.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    May be not, but it does point out to you that you were wrong to assume that you were absolutely right in your assumption.

Even if your assumption does turn out to be true (which I doubt - and I doubt the poster in question will ever clear it up) you were wrong in assuming you were right.
    I didn't make an assumption. I stated, "I'm not really sure what "main storyline" means'".
    That is an invitation for the OP to clarify what they mean.
    You are the one who consistently makes absurd, false assumptions, like this one: "That amounts to you saying that you do not think that progressing regions and Nodes and Religious and Social organizations will involve stories."
    And... I'm done discussing this with you. You can have the last word if you wish.
  • Options
    I didn't make an assumption.
    By the time you posted this
    @Dygz Archeage is a sandbox MMO. Even it has a main storyline. If AoC has more theme-park element, we should expect for a main storyline as well.
    You really didn’t address what I said.
    What I’m responding to is the notion of “doing the main storyline to unlock something” in a game where the primary focuses are Node progression, Religious progression, Social Org progression, Caravan runs and Sieges.
    I’m not aware of ArcheAge having those features.
    You had made the assumption about what the poster in question was talking about.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    1f926-1f3ff-2642.png
  • Options
    NyxxaNyxxa Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Mission tables!

This is an MMORPG not a facebook game. Don't add mission tables or other objects/rewards behind pure waiting time. Hard work should allow you to achieve something faster or to a greater reward.
    StagAxiomSigCleaned.png
  • Options
    Too much dailies you feel obliged to do to get all the rewards.
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • Options
    Too much emphasis on end game and treating everything pre-endgame as an obstacle instead of part of the game too.

Endgame is fine to have, but what's not is when any level that's not max level is treated as a gate to the game.

Make the leveling memorable, fun, and feel like it's a true journey. Also expand the game not only vertically but laterally.
  • Options
    Ability bloat without distinction (dot #1, dot #2, dot #3, nuke #1, nuke #2, nuke#3, etc.). I appreciated how swtor did snipers where different shots had different debuffs or buffed the following shots in different ways.
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The absorb mechanic
    Group finder
    Cute costumes, its not a damn fashion show like bdo has become.
  • Options
    LfmrLfmr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    -Time gated content. if I can look at a grind and say "Alright, I can go hard for a day or two and get it done." that's fine, but when the content is time gated, it becomes soul sucking, I log on for an hour or two a day, do my in game chores and log off, rinse and repeat for a month.

-Infinite Progression. There needs to be a point at which I am at the peak of my character and the only progression you can achieve after that is sideways, (At least until the next expansion hits.) a clear goal which can be reached, if not loot and power progression becomes less exciting "I got my chest piece.. but it's got the wrong enchantment.. alright, see you next week for the raid..."
  • Options
    awqawq Member
    Sprint.
    Summon mounts in combat.
    Auto party finders.
  • Options
    I want one gear set to pvp and pve, I mean no pvp stats. If I chose a new build I will change my gear to follow the build way but dont tell me I am weak because I dont enough pvp-stat. I am a pvp player of all form and pvp-stat is not a solution.
  • Options
    Top 3 would be:

any typ of incentive to do something while afk (most regeneration, afk fishing etc.)

the game simple being too easy

extensive dailies (1-3 is fine, but if you have to spend the first 2 hours of each day completing dailies, then it gets annoying)

• Options
    1) I don't want their to be one "mode" for the game. What I mean by that is I don't want it to be easy and I don't want it to be hard. I want it to have layers of each level. I want their to be content that is hard and only a certain amount of skilled players reach that pinnacle. I also want their to be something they get that shows off they hit those marks.

I also want easy content for those who don't have that hardcore desire or don't have the time. Still they feel like their is stuff for them that gets their toon where they want to be. In it's simplest form I prefer an upper,lower,and medium "class" in games.

2) Dailies to the point they are just time sinks to keep me in the game. I don't want to have to do 15 dailies for 2 months to reach some goal that is needed. I am not opposed to this if it is something that has nothing to do with making the game easier. If this system is implemented and it is linked to stuff like cosmetic items then I really can care less. If it is linked to something along the lines of me needing to do this to enter another zone or access a certain part of the dungeon, then I don't want it.

3) I dislike gear that translates to pvp and pve. I prefer them two different types. The player who clears the best dungeons/raids/world bosses I don't think should also have the best gear in pvp. That should be tied to those who do the best and grinded out what they had to for PVP gear that is the better suited for pvp. I have no issue with the best PVE gear being viable in PVP and vice versus. I just don't think it should be universal.
    a34ad54277341e048554a1bf88ee6284.jpg

Heroes Fade but Legends last forever

• Options
    Was just thinking about fears regarding enchanting the other day -

When getting the max enchant becomes a months-long game of rng-fail-rinse-repeat for one item instead of a process where the player can feel tangible progress at each step.