Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The problem with having “Tank” as a class name

Comments

• Options
    Khronus wrote: »
    Vanguard or Defender. Why they haven't done a community poll and changed the title yet is beyond me. NOBODY wants tank.

I want tank. Tank archetype is fine with me.
  • Options
    bigepeen wrote: »
    Khronus wrote: »
    Vanguard or Defender. Why they haven't done a community poll and changed the title yet is beyond me. NOBODY wants tank.

I want tank. Tank archetype is fine with me.

I also disagree with the "Nobody" wants tank. When you use absolutes you are setting yourself up for failure.

I like Vanguard but I'm ok with Tank as well because it has become ingrained into the gaming vernacular.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    vmangman wrote: »
    Tank isn't a class. It's an archetype. You will be able to roleplay as any of the 8 classes that use tank as their primary archetype (Argent, Paladin, Knight, Spellshield, Warden, Nightshield, Keeper, Guardian).

You will also have to play for a good amount of time with the archetype (class) called Tank before you get to the others, other archetypes can have normal naming so I don't see why Tank can't.
  • Options
    InixiaInixia Member
    edited September 2020
    I think we can all agree that Tank is perfect as is,
    I've decided to fix the other class names for you guys though since people are concerned that its more of a role /s

Old -> New Name
    Bard -> 'Support'
    Cleric -> 'Healer'
    Fighter -> 'Melee DPS'
    Mage -> 'Magic DPS'
    Ranger -> 'Ranged DPS'
    Rogue -> 'Stealth DPS'
    Summoner -> 'Pet DPS'
  • Options
    Inixia wrote: »
    I've decided to fix the other class names for you guys though since people are concerned that its more of a role /s

Old -> New Name
    Bard -> 'Support'
    Cleric -> 'Healer'
    Fighter -> 'Melee DPS'
    Mage -> 'Magic DPS'
    Ranger -> 'Ranged DPS'
    Rogue -> 'Stealth DPS'
    Summoner -> 'Pet DPS'

nahh cleric should be more like PERSON WHO INCREASES HP ON OTHERS
  • Options

Old -> New Name
    Bard -> 'Support'
    Cleric -> 'Healer'
    Fighter -> 'Melee DPS'
    Mage -> 'Magic DPS'
    Ranger -> 'Ranged DPS'
    Rogue -> 'Stealth DPS'
    Summoner -> 'Pet DPS'

You can use a bow as a fighter and a melee weapon as a ranger.
  • Options
    insomnia wrote: »

Old -> New Name
    Bard -> 'Support'
    Cleric -> 'Healer'
    Fighter -> 'Melee DPS'
    Mage -> 'Magic DPS'
    Ranger -> 'Ranged DPS'
    Rogue -> 'Stealth DPS'
    Summoner -> 'Pet DPS'

Yup. Guarantee I will have a two-handed weapon as a tank hopefully, a cool looking sword.
  • Options
    At the end if the day tank should just be renamed Chad, cause that's what they are.
  • Options
    TacualeonTacualeon Member
    edited October 2020
    Jamaina wrote: »
    Tank is a bad name for a class and should be changed, it doesn't descipe the class outside of combat or in roleplay at all. The cleric isn't called healer either or bard for buffer. Cleric has a roleplay implications that healer wouldn't. Calling tank for shieldmaster, defender or protector would've led to a more proper class name and would define the class for more than just it's combat

I like what Riot did in Lol.
    Defense + CC
    Vanguards were offensive tanks.
    Guardians defensive tanks.

Skirmishes, divers (quick fighters)
    Defense + Damage
    Juggernauts/bruisers tanky fighter.

It's important to note, tanks resist damage to control the battlefield.
    Juggernauts resist damage to deal damage in the long run.
  • Options
    truelytruely Member, Alpha One
    It's a funny post becasue the tank is a role and not a class if you read the class names, none of them are called tank so that's good for you i guess!
  • Options
    It's fine the way it is, to me. Your class is defined by your two chosen archetypes, so no point in changing the name as it makes it simple for tank lovers to pick the proper archetype at character creation when starting the game.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So this is still going after 2 years.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Sov54Sov54 Member
    edited October 2020
    I guess those who say that it's fine because it's the archetype not the class would prefer to change "cleric" for "healer". Just for consistency.

Otherwise they make no sense at all.

To say you are a classless archetype during 25 levels BUT just in the case you choose "tank" as your starting class is ridiculous, really.
  • Options

You can use a wand and a dress as a "tank"
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nagash wrote: »
    So this is still going after 2 years.

TIS WAR SHALL NEVER END GOOD SIR!
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »
    TIS WAR SHALL NEVER END GOOD SIR!

Hm... ironically it feels like we’re MT’ing this topic. Is there a rage timer? 🤨
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    The pain never ends
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2020
    The pain never ends

So this is where you source your pain and suffering for your undead army!
    :D
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »
    The pain never ends

So this is where you source your pain and suffering for your undead army!
    :D

Oh no I get that from the PvP thread
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    Does OP not have anything better to do, than complain about a class name
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

It is still in Alpha 1 so yes, he doesnt have anything better to do. xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options

The funny thing is, it's not even a class name. It's an archetype name. People aren't going to run around saying "I'm a tank". No, they will be saying "I'm a guardian" or "I'm a knight", based on their primary and secondary archetype combination.
  • Options
    MedrashMedrash Member
    edited October 2020
    @Jamaina
    Tank is a bad name for a class and should be changed, it doesn't descipe the class outside of combat or in roleplay at all. The cleric isn't called healer either or bard for buffer. Cleric has a roleplay implications that healer wouldn't. Calling tank for shieldmaster, defender or protector would've led to a more proper class name and would define the class for more than just it's combat

Ya i had the same problem and posted a similar but more complex and messy discussion about classes.
    It is actually a rule and not a class and it must change, the whole class system have some flaws.
    I propose Paladins, it's an iconic tank class, historically and in rpgs too, and it adds a bit of religion to the class too, so we don't have only the cleric one. To give more depth on the religion aspect of the game.
    Also the Tank has some spells that are pretty common to paladins in other rpgs.

Anyway they will change it, they said, so don't worry about that.

I whould like to see a better class system development.
  • Options
    @Sov54
    Sov54 wrote: »
    I guess those who say that it's fine because it's the archetype not the class would prefer to change "cleric" for "healer". Just for consistency.

Otherwise they make no sense at all.

To say you are a classless archetype during 25 levels BUT just in case you choose "tank" as your starting class is ridiculous, really.

Ya it's pretty bad, it seems just few people are actually capable to see all those flaws in the Class system. I have done a discussion in the past month , about classes, but it didn't get enough credit, and i don't see too much attention to the peoples post by the devs. I know there is a lot to read xD too much sometimes, expecially if they do all those non sense dev questions to get the feedback. It takes a lot of time to read them all. Anyway , maybe it's too late to change it, but i hope they will revolutionate the Class System.

Choose a class! ... that is not a class (smal print)
  • Options
    We should just rename the tank to meat shield
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    @vmangman @Jamaina
    vmangman wrote: »
    Tank isn't a class. It's an archetype. You will be able to roleplay as any of the 8 classes that use tank as their primary archetype (Argent, Paladin, Knight, Spellshield, Warden, Nightshield, Keeper, Guardian).

Exactly ... Tank is not a Class, so why it's listed as a Class? You cannot play an archetype, the archetype is the base idea to build a class.
    It's pretty boring to choose the Tank xD .
    - Hey what are you going to choose? Do you want to be a Paladin that follow the light magic or dark one, defender of the weak people, man of justice ... or the tank? xD ...
    -what is it .. a patrol tank?
    -Nono .. it's a rule , the archetype , you .. defend things.
    -wait wait ... but what's your goal? you ideals? Assotiations? Style?
    -Shut up kid, it's just a tank.

I just want to point out that everything can have archetypes, but archetypes are not classes.
    You can play 8 different Classes? But you said, few words before, that the tank is not a Class .. this is pretty confusing, you will play the Tank, an archetype, with another archetype mixed (es. magic archetype, stealthy archetype) and then call it a Class? So now mixing archetypes is the way to make classes right? xD No.

If you mix the idea of a damage taker with the idea of a damage dealer you will simply get the archetype of a powerful beeings, capable of doing everything. It's not a class, just a mix of archetypes.
    So if you consider the other archetypes a Class you should add the tank too as a class. Using a Class name maybe, and not an archetype one.
    And then, even if you get the new "Class", made with the primary archetype of a tank and a secondary one, you still have as a primary and predominant ... "class" ... an archetype, and not a class actually.
    Archetypes are not Classes.
    A class is the "profession" or "social status" of the person.
  • Options
    @Nagash
    We should just rename the tank to meat shield

Approved! I don't know why i thought about the puri-puri prisoner of One punch man xD who knows.
    A naked tank is so badass xD
  • Options
    Medrash wrote: »
    @Jamaina

Ya i had the same problem and posted a similar but more complex and messy discussion about classes.
    It is actually a rule and not a class and it must change, the whole class system have some flaws.
    I propose Paladins, it's an iconic tank class, historically and in rpgs too, and it adds a bit of religion to the class too, so we don't have only the cleric one. To give more depth on the religion aspect of the game.
    Also the Tank has some spells that are pretty common to paladins in other rpgs.

Anyway they will change it, they said, so don't worry about that.

I whould like to see a better class system development.

Paladin will be in. That is tank/cleric
  • Options
    I suggested tank class be called Knight class in another post. Think it is more appropriate.
  • Options
    consultant wrote: »
    I suggested tank class be called Knight class in another post. Think it is more appropriate.

I still say meat shield or punching bag is better
    nJ0vUSm.gif