Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Player Feedback Request] Tulnar Concept Art Shown During July Livestream

Comments

• SweatycupSweatycup Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    It's looks very varied in choice so far and look forward to seeing customization once you guys finalize design.

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    I dislike the horns on every single one. I hope there will be a way to not have horns.

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Tulnar concept?
    Glad to see the design, reminds me of beauty and the beast. :D Still curious to see what not 100% tulnar form looks like.

Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Tulnar race?
    Extra big boys. Tallest and fattest slider for Tulnar. I would love to see monsterous size options within the confines of still fitting through a door. It would be interesting to see also small like Dunir size Tulnar running around. A height/weight slider with the largest min-max ratio.
  • Lashing wrote: »
    As they stand as a concept they seem a bit too Evil looking

There's a reason that every single god in the pantheon decided to leave them all behind. Just saying...
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Please don't allow people to remove the horns and end up with a catgirl, each race should unique characteristics and horns for all the Tulnar are awesome, same for the for the Py'Rai
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • It is and it will always be my dream to play like humungousaur from Ben 10, and the dinossaur like customizantion looks a lot like him. I love it. Just let me make him the biggest character possible.
  • I like them! And now I wonder if I'll have to change my forum signature...

I expect horns customization to be more than one sliders. Type, length, numbers (?), broken or pristine, curved or straightish, etc. I don't mind if some options are bundled with others (even non horns options).

Necks seem... too vertically normal..? Hard to say without the full body posture.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • MayhemMayhem Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Reptile one looks too humanoid for me, needs to have a longer snout, atleast the ability to customizes it in CC.
    Option to remove horns
    On Reptilian maybe instead of a beard, you could add those spikes that are on the cheekbones to different parts of the face.
  • Looking good! Curious if there will be some animation flavor based on your animal choice? 100% ape could have a different idle stance than 100% lion. Might be some cool additional pieces to add flavor to!
  • The concept art is great, was not sure what to expect from this "bestial / reptilian race left behind to survive" but I think they represent this well. I do however have a few questions about how customizable this race will be, as this seems to be by far the most customizable race.

1) I believe it was said that there would be sliders to adjust how "humanoid" you can look, and I hope there is a heavy limit to this. When I first saw the art the first thing that popped into my head was this meme https://img.memecdn.com/video-game-characters-enemies-male-vs-female_o_6704467.jpg
    I really hope people cannot turn these into furries

2) Steven has said that the avian races did not take refuge in the underrealm and that the Tulnar will not have avian influences. Is Steven still set on the lore being this way? Would love to see some avian themed Tulnar (I like to think similar to the Argonians in TES series with feathers and such).

3) My only real complaint with the design (which is honestly very minor and probably already taken care of with slider options) is that I do not like the eyes. For a race that was forced to evolve underground in low light, I feel like they should have large eyes to soak in light that make them look almost alien. On the Tulnar wiki page this is some "underrealm cat" concept art, and i feel like this is what the eyes should look more like. It has also been stated that the Tulnar did not evolve under the influence of corruption, so I do not feel like the thin red glowing eyes fits. Maybe the idea is to make them look "evil" and bestial, but I think this can be done another way.

I also made a list of some character creation options that I think could be interesting
    -Light emitting appendages (like an angler fish)
    -Bug / Insect like eyes (could also be cool to have eyes change slightly when going outside the underrealm)
    -Large glowing eyes (or large black voids)
    -Plants / Mushrooms on body (maybe with bioluminescence?)
    -Gill or tentacle like mouths
    -Chitin carapace s
    -Beak / shell (like a humanoid snapping turtle)
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    Lashing wrote: »
    As they stand as a concept they seem a bit too Evil looking

There's a reason that every single god in the pantheon decided to leave them all behind. Just saying...

yeah i would be a bit pissed too tbh :pensive:
    Although that being said only thing that looks inherently evil about them is the glowing eyes and that can be because they spend most of there time underground in the darker terrain so that could be an evolution trait for that
  • The art is good, but my main concern is how this race will combine the class, animations and how the armor will sit on them, because in all games it always looks like "another human with horns with ridiculous animations".
  • MrLupenTailsMrLupenTails Member
    edited August 2022
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race? - I like a lot about the current direction of the race. Good start on some of the beast features and the 3 main archetypes are incredibly cool, it seems like it'll be very easy to create a unique character. There are a lot of mmos that have tried to create cool beast races but the approach Ashes is taking with the Tulnar is something I feel is truly special.

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why? - This is a personal preference - I'd like the race to have the ability to really resemble an animal - like something anthropomorphized - see the charr from GW2 ( best example imo), worgen or vulpera from World of Warcraft, etc. No apparent canine race features (really long snout). The ears look a little weird too and I'd like to see a lot of customization options there. The body types haven't been shown yet, but it seems like all of the archetypes are relatively beefy (judging from thickness of neck). It'd be cool to have the ability to create tulnar with differently body types - lithe and thin, tall and well-rounded, etc. Spotty fur coverage, it'd be cool to have the option to be completely covered in fur or scales.

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Tulnar concept? - really excited to see more. This game looks better and better the more it's developed. I'm definitely really excited about the game as a whole and will absolutely be trying it out. My excitement will get uncontrollable if I can create a character that really looks like an arctic wolf or fox.

Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Tulnar race? - Whoops, didn't see this question specifically. As I've mentioned before I personally really want to play a wolf/fox character. Other than that - a lot of people above me had great ideas. Digitrade legs, claws, ability to have even bigger snouts, and cool tails. Oh - also the ability to have many different kinds of ears. Essentially the ability to turn up the animalistic features even more.

Thank you guys for continuing to pour your passion into the game. To me, character customization is a big facet of my enjoyment of mmos - only below the core gameplay features and the world itself. Thank you for all the hard work trying to ensure that we can all create our dream characters.
  • AshRenAshRen Member
    edited August 2022
    • What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
      That you're showing multiple options on the beast side.
    • Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
      Not really, the options seem fine, as options.
    • What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Tulnar concept?
      Think they look nice, but I would like to have more options.
    • Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Tulnar race?
      This is the important one, I think this race need more humanoid options, not saying that I want a catgirl,
      that would be a mistake, allow it and every city in the world will have tulnar architecture... What I want
      is the hability to have a mostly human face, with scales, horns fur... but with face I can identify with.

All the other races seem too human, boring, I would love to have an humanoid tulnar with claws, blue
      skin, scales, horns, tail, but which face is mostly of human/elf/dwarf/orc shape.

Not saying every tulnar should be like that, it would just be an option, between somewhat "human" and
      fully beast, so I don't have to play another boring human like race, or a race that's too beast that offers
      little to no conection with the player, but a wild mix between human and beast.

This option would fill a hole that current races are missing, and that's alaways a selling point to attract
      more players.
  • ogreogre Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Concept art is looking pretty sweet. Was really unsure of what to expect from the Tulnar but I’ll admit that they’re actually looking kind of awesome. I really hope the dev team goes wild with the customization options for them and all of the other races, people go absolutely crazy for really customizable characters.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Did they specifically say whether these are the male or female Tulnar? It would be kinda cool if these are the female Tulnar.
  • SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    Tulnar Feedback:

All my Tulnar feedback is based on the three heads and some of the quotes from Steven.

Culture:

Cultures I think Tulnar could do well to pull from are The Úlfhéðnar from Viking civilization. To expand on that Vikings aren't exclusive in Bear and Wolf Cults. So the underlying tone is Bear and Wolf Cults.

Shinobi and their interpretation of Buddhism of the Feudal Japan era.

Caribbean expressions of Hudu and Vudu. With a mix of Caribbean, Creole, and Cajun influence. (Steven already stated Voodoo is an influence)

It covers a caste system, beliefs and expressions and keeps Tulnar within line of animistic, spiritualist, and shamanistic influences.

Architecture:

Gothic architecture, mixed with feudal Japanese and West African symbolism that really drives home the tribal feel but still shows the cunning and intelligence of the Tulnar but still maintains their spirituality.

Misc:

Mad Alchemist vibes everywhere, with bioiluminescence and the lore already written Tulnar should really have a high mad alchemist science vibe that kind of is a dualist approach in equal weight to their spirituality.

how to caste
    contests of strength to ingest the most potent shrooms
    followed by a week-long vision quest
    then tulnar rite of passage
  • edited August 2022
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    - I like the overall Beast Tribe look a lot!

- I like it, but I wish the middle one was a little more Lion-ey so it would look less like the Rampage game.

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Tulnar concept?
    - I'm excited to see more of them, the variants, and the female versions!

Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Tulnar race?
    - Yes, as you turn the dial between the 3 pillar races, I'd like to see each individual parent race along the way as well. So turning the dial from the (B.) Example to (C.) you would see the Full Lion version, the Full Ram version, Full Wolf version, and the Full Dragon / Reptile versions at each stop along the way.
  • What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    Very Masculine and a little evil for those who are looking for it.

The directions the horns grow seem a little random on each one. It would be nice for it feel like it fits a little better and make sense.

Tails for all three probably; Manes for the mammals
  • I would love to see this raze with diferent arms and legs too, not just Human arms/legs reskin to a simple color and texture... THAT LOOKS WEIRD AND UGLY, they need to be different to what we are used to see, Look at the Dracthyr from WOW, thats the perfect example of what you guys dont have to do... each of these beast needs to have a different stance, a different way they walk/run, make them unique... AWESOME concepts art btw, im used to dislike beasts razes in others mmo but these ones make me considerer to try them out, peace <3
  • Sword Brother SoriosSword Brother Sorios Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Teyloune wrote: »
    Reptile Enthusiast Tulnar Feedback

The reptile Tulnar on the right looks somewhat dragon-esque, I think that is going in the right direction.

If you look the skin on their face looks too loose for a reptile, usually the skin on many reptiles is pretty tight on their skull, almost stretched across it, giving them a very distinctive chiselled look.
    I really like this about reptiles, and I'm missing that here quite a bit.

Their face seems overly flat for a reptile. A more dragon-like snout would be pretty badass to have. If there is a slider to extend the snout that would be great too.
    It be a loss to only have mammalian snouts, but no reptile ones.

The reptile teeth look too similar to the mammalian teeth.
    If their teeth were to be more crocodilian like, that would make them a lot more intimidating, and help to differentiate them more from other available options and races.

Overall pretty sexy concept art. <3

Since the other 2 types of Tulnar seem to have a form of piercing, can you have piercings as Reptile Tulnar? Pierced Horns or Nose maybe?

I guess the scaly tulnar could look more akin to this so I'd upvote this.
    Sorios.gif
  • pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    I was pleasantly surprised.

I didn't have high hopes for this 'mutt' race, but they are a handsome bunch!
  • These look fantastic, as I definitely like how rugged they are. I think that's key to good character options, for them to not feel weak or not fierce. These nailed it, especially with some textures that are rougher and some scars.
    I was born in the Pyrian royal family of Eradal.

https://Twitch.tv/Eradal
    https://Twitter.com/Eradal_

OC9k.gif

• This race looks really cool and I am excited to see in what ways we are able to customize them. I am hoping for a feature to remove or shorten the horns. While I appreciate the horns options on the Ape and Wolf I would also like have the option of removing them as I feel the race would be just as cool without the horns. The Dragon on the other hand should maybe have a mandatory set of horns, just because this would convey respect to the primal animal, making it more a part of their DNA.
  • I love the 3 display heads for the Tulnar showed on Stream! I would love to see an Amphibian, Reptilian or Aquatic style edits for the Tulnar as there is so much content around water - exploring, ship building etc. I think gills, fins, scales etc would make for some really cool Tulnar that fit the aesthetic and play style available for Ashes of Creation. Some of these features would also be relevant for Tulnar that prefer desert dwelling, with scorpion or snake like features!
  • Concept art really nails the variety of influences and beastial nature of the lore, very happy.

My only thoughts moving forward on the art is that they all look pretty thick and muscular, similar to how the renkai looked previously. I'd like the option for both races to go for a less macro muscular build. Gymnast rather than bodybuilder.
  • Sweatycup wrote: »
    Extra big boys. Tallest and fattest slider for Tulnar. I would love to see monsterous size options within the confines of still fitting through a door. It would be interesting to see also small like Dunir size Tulnar running around. A height/weight slider with the largest min-max ratio.
    Too much variance in this could lead to some silhouette issues. Though I agree this level of variance would be cool. Also the size of doors in relation to everything is important! As a person that has mained Tauren and Ogres please please please make it so I can fit in doors! XDDD
    dbijjcb82bfn.png
    Professional Skeptic, Entertainer, and Animal Enthusiast
  • Looking good! Curious if there will be some animation flavor based on your animal choice? 100% ape could have a different idle stance than 100% lion. Might be some cool additional pieces to add flavor to!

It has been stated that you will select one of the 4 parent races to act as your skeleton and they will likely share animations with one of those 4. So sadly no ape here and lion there animation customization.

One day...one day.
    dbijjcb82bfn.png
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    Looking good! Curious if there will be some animation flavor based on your animal choice? 100% ape could have a different idle stance than 100% lion. Might be some cool additional pieces to add flavor to!

It has been stated that you will select one of the 4 parent races to act as your skeleton and they will likely share animations with one of those 4. So sadly no ape here and lion there animation customization.

One day...one day.

Not exactly. Tulnar Wiki

Unless something has changed, the Tulnar choose from 3 primary influences, which are humanoid, reptilian, and mammalian. The Tulnar are made from a lot of races, many of which shared a lot of characteristics. Instead of picking a parent race, the influence you pick is more of a racial theme that is representative of a number of races that shared certain characteristics.

To me, the concept on the left is more ape like. We also have info that races will have different none-combat animations so ape-like idle and even walk animation is possible.
    Animations

One day...one day.

Not exactly. Tulnar Wiki

Unless something has changed, the Tulnar choose from 3 primary influences, which are humanoid, reptilian, and mammalian. The Tulnar are made from a lot of races, many of which shared a lot of characteristics. Instead of picking a parent race, the influence you pick is more of a racial theme that is representative of a number of races that shared certain characteristics.

To me, the concept on the left is more ape like. We also have info that races will have different none-combat animations so ape-like idle and even walk animation is possible.
    Animations

You're right, it is one of the 3 Tulnar subtypes my bad.
    "and as you dial those things up, your base body- if it exceeds a certain percentage threshold- will assume the form and stance of one of three primary types of influences that exist for the Tulnar."
    Still doesn't look like you'll be able to mix and match though. It's one of those 3 and it's whichever one you're valued in higher. :neutral:
    dbijjcb82bfn.png
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Looking good! Curious if there will be some animation flavor based on your animal choice? 100% ape could have a different idle stance than 100% lion. Might be some cool additional pieces to add flavor to!

One day...one day.

Not exactly. Tulnar Wiki

Animations

You're right, it is one of the 3 Tulnar subtypes my bad.
    "and as you dial those things up, your base body- if it exceeds a certain percentage threshold- will assume the form and stance of one of three primary types of influences that exist for the Tulnar."
    Still doesn't look like you'll be able to mix and match though. It's one of those 3 and it's whichever one you're valued in higher. :neutral:

Yep, i guess i'm thinking that the two they mentioned could be influence options.

If the concept on the left is the humanoid influence and is taking inspiration from primates, then i could see it having ape like animations and would be different from a character using a mammilian influence as their base.
  • Their all faces ive seen in other games. Im not cutting the artists rendition, im just saying make the faces more formidable and less like an orc, a bull, a snake. please push the artists to make the faces unique , and not just change a tooth here a fang there or a scale in that location. thanks.
    Brewskie Cat House Prowlers SpindoctorMD