Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Leveling the playing field in instanced PvP

Comments

• Options
    BlindsideBlindside Member
    edited December 2022
    Dolyem wrote: »
    Blindside wrote: »
    Guild Wars 2 has equalized gear in PvP. A brand new player can hop right into PvP after character creation and be on an even playing field gear-wise as a player that's been playing since release 10 years ago. Equalized gear coupled with good matchmaking means GW2 PvP is very easy to get into, as there's not an insane time barrier to entry for gear and the game will put you against similarly rated players.

I actually played a ton of GW2. And that is a perfect example of an MMO that entirely separates PVP and PVE. which is exactly what AoC isnt. You could argue WvW is PvX, but anyone who has played it knows the PVE in WVW was just using NPCs as punching bags until another zerg showed up. And a time barrier is a reality when you have PvX progression. You are going to spend far more time to be able to participate in late game content that is both PVE and PVP. Just enabling players to jump right into playing like an endgame beast isnt a great design for an MMORPG that relies on progression. That entire argument is "I dont want to play the rest of the game, let me just play this part."
    PvP and PvE are not entirely separate, but the gear cap is reasonably easy to achieve so it's realistic to level and gear several characters in a single day if you wanted. Otherwise I completely agree. I don't want to play other gamemodes if I'm not interested in them, nor would I want others to feel forced to play gamemodes they're not interested in. Imagine if there was a game where you HAD to PvP in order to acquire gear to complete PvE content. The players that only want to PvE would hate it.

I think the separation between gamemodes can be healthy if done well with proper amounts of overlap IF players want to diversify their experience. It's the same reason why "Ashes of Creation is designed for solo players as well as large and small groups." Catering to both solo, small, and large groups of players is important. Same as catering to arena PvP, PvE, and open world PvP players.

The analogy is accurate. If you want gear to matter, then the matchmaking should also take into gear so that if you spend TIME to get a better piece of equipment, you'd only get matched against people who have also spent TIME to get a better piece of equipment. That's a great system if you want to artificially shrink the amount of people you can fight against.

Gear does matter, otherwise why even acquire it? And factoring gear quality into matchmaking is pretty pointless when your outcomes against other players would do the job just fine as far as placing you against others during your initial placement matches. So no need to artificially shrink the player pool.
    Again, you do not have an accurate perception of how competitive matchmaking works. I am not going to continuously reiterate the explanations. If you want to improve your understanding, read what I wrote above. Otherwise, I don't see this specific part of the discussion going anywhere.
    Again, there's a reason they don't match a 220 lb guy against a guy that weighs 130. Yeah, sure, the 130 guy could win. But that's not a fair fight no matter the outcome. It's just not how actual competitive systems work.
    Its not a weight factor. The 130lbs dude isnt going to suddenly grow 7 inches taller and gain 90lbs to compete against that guy. Have a level 1 ranger with shit gear (the office worker) against the max level ranger with raid gear( the champion fighter of the same weight). You dont match those up against eachother. Once you get max level, youre fair game. You have the ability to acquire the same gear as everyone else at that point, so its up to you to get it, thus increasing your characters ability, to further augment your individual skill. If you dont want to play the entirety of the game to progress in an aspect of it, thats your problem, and likely means that this games design isnt your playstyle. If its the way you like to play, you've provided a few examples of games to continue playing in that manner.
    See above. Until you acquire the gear to match, then you should not be placed against people who have the better gear. This is fair, it also shrinks the player pool as a consequence. It's perfectly fine for gear and levels to matter in open world PvP and PvE but equalized arenas should be just that, equalized arenas.

Alright, I will just put this here. I don't think you're going to enjoy this game dude.

"We're very clear with our objective and philosophy on the game and we understand that they may not appeal to everybody. But you know it is an important reciprocal relationship between the content that's related to PvE and the content that's related to PvP and they feed off of each other. They're catalysts for change: Their progression, their development. It's things that people can value when they see something earned and they see something lost. That elicits an emotional response from the player: That they've invested time in to either succeed or fail; and PvP allows for that element to be introduced into gameplay. And we're very clear that is our objective: That risk versus reward relationship, that achievement-based mentality. Not everybody's going to be a winner and that's okay."[8] – Steven Sharif

I may or may not, but I won't know until the game releases. Plus, isn't the whole point of the forums and discussions to receive player feedback from multiple different perspectives? It's perfectly fine if I don't like the game or certain aspects of it, Steven and the team can do what they want with Ashes. But, I enjoy discussing certain topics like these with other people. It's interesting to see the different viewpoints.
  • Options
    Guild Wars 2 has equalized gear in PvP. A brand new player can hop right into PvP after character creation and be on an even playing field gear-wise as a player that's been playing since release 10 years ago. Equalized gear coupled with good matchmaking means GW2 PvP is very easy to get into, as there's not an insane time barrier to entry for gear and the game will put you against similarly rated players.

I actually played a ton of GW2. And that is a perfect example of an MMO that entirely separates PVP and PVE. which is exactly what AoC isnt. You could argue WvW is PvX, but anyone who has played it knows the PVE in WVW was just using NPCs as punching bags until another zerg showed up. And a time barrier is a reality when you have PvX progression. You are going to spend far more time to be able to participate in late game content that is both PVE and PVP. Just enabling players to jump right into playing like an endgame beast isnt a great design for an MMORPG that relies on progression. That entire argument is "I dont want to play the rest of the game, let me just play this part."
    PvP and PvE are not entirely separate, but the gear cap is reasonably easy to achieve so it's realistic to level and gear several characters in a single day if you wanted. Otherwise I completely agree. I don't want to play other gamemodes if I'm not interested in them, nor would I want others to feel forced to play gamemodes they're not interested in. Imagine if there was a game where you HAD to PvP in order to acquire gear to complete PvE content. The players that only want to PvE would hate it.

I think the separation between gamemodes can be healthy if done well with proper amounts of overlap IF players want to diversify their experience. It's the same reason why "Ashes of Creation is designed for solo players as well as large and small groups." Catering to both solo, small, and large groups of players is important. Same as catering to arena PvP, PvE, and open world PvP players.

The analogy is accurate. If you want gear to matter, then the matchmaking should also take into gear so that if you spend TIME to get a better piece of equipment, you'd only get matched against people who have also spent TIME to get a better piece of equipment. That's a great system if you want to artificially shrink the amount of people you can fight against.

Gear does matter, otherwise why even acquire it? And factoring gear quality into matchmaking is pretty pointless when your outcomes against other players would do the job just fine as far as placing you against others during your initial placement matches. So no need to artificially shrink the player pool.
    Again, you do not have an accurate perception of how competitive matchmaking works. I am not going to continuously reiterate the explanations. If you want to improve your understanding, read what I wrote above. Otherwise, I don't see this specific part of the discussion going anywhere.
    Again, there's a reason they don't match a 220 lb guy against a guy that weighs 130. Yeah, sure, the 130 guy could win. But that's not a fair fight no matter the outcome. It's just not how actual competitive systems work.
    Its not a weight factor. The 130lbs dude isnt going to suddenly grow 7 inches taller and gain 90lbs to compete against that guy. Have a level 1 ranger with shit gear (the office worker) against the max level ranger with raid gear( the champion fighter of the same weight). You dont match those up against eachother. Once you get max level, youre fair game. You have the ability to acquire the same gear as everyone else at that point, so its up to you to get it, thus increasing your characters ability, to further augment your individual skill. If you dont want to play the entirety of the game to progress in an aspect of it, thats your problem, and likely means that this games design isnt your playstyle. If its the way you like to play, you've provided a few examples of games to continue playing in that manner.
    See above. Until you acquire the gear to match, then you should not be placed against people who have the better gear. This is fair, it also shrinks the player pool as a consequence. It's perfectly fine for gear and levels to matter in open world PvP and PvE but equalized arenas should be just that, equalized arenas.

Alright, I will just put this here. I don't think you're going to enjoy this game dude.

"We're very clear with our objective and philosophy on the game and we understand that they may not appeal to everybody. But you know it is an important reciprocal relationship between the content that's related to PvE and the content that's related to PvP and they feed off of each other. They're catalysts for change: Their progression, their development. It's things that people can value when they see something earned and they see something lost. That elicits an emotional response from the player: That they've invested time in to either succeed or fail; and PvP allows for that element to be introduced into gameplay. And we're very clear that is our objective: That risk versus reward relationship, that achievement-based mentality. Not everybody's going to be a winner and that's okay."[8] – Steven Sharif

I may or may not, but I won't know until the game releases. Plus, isn't the whole point of the forums and discussions to receive player feedback from multiple different perspectives? It's perfectly fine if I don't like the game or certain aspects of it, Steven and the team can do what they want with Ashes. But, I enjoy discussing certain topics like these with other people. It's interesting to see the different viewpoints.

I never told you to not voice your opinion. I am simply showing you the intended design of this game.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options

I never told you to not voice your opinion. I am simply showing you the intended design of this game.

Yes, I understand. However, whether or not I will enjoy this game has no bearing on the discussion.
  • Options

Yes, I understand. However, whether or not I will enjoy this game has no bearing on the discussion.

Just stating my assumption based on what you're advocating for in this discussion in comparison to what Intrepid is stating as their intent for design of their game.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Gui10 wrote: »
    I am siding with @NiKr on this one. Without the ability to switch things up via gear, you have less flexibility for playstyle and making builds. I get the OP trying to focus on player skill for arenas, but skill can also come from creating builds, and acquiring gear. I am by no means a huge PVE player, but if I manage to snag an amazing piece of gear and its gives me zero boost in any competitive PvP, thats lame as hell.

You can still switch things up via gear absolutely! The base armor stars are locked in but other than that, you have all the freedom to pick perks and addons such as frost resist, bleed sesist, % critical chance, % chance to cause bleed, % chance to proc heal, etc etc.
    Also, separating gear stats acquired through PVE for competitive PVP is directly contradicting the PvX mentality. To become great at PvP, you should need to acquire the gear through PvE

I agree 100% with the PvX side of things for all world PvP (node sieges, owpvp, caravan sieges, castles, etc) but I think adding this feature for arenas only would be great.

If I put in the time to get amazing gear, I want to be able to use it in every aspect of the game, especially the competitive instanced PVP. And switching gear should require you to have that gear. Not having an entire wardrobe to pick from at will. Otherwise you can basically ignore the rest of the game to only PvP. Vote is no.

I always found it interesting when people enjoy winning knowing they have a stat advantage over their opponents. If I beat someone like that, it feels cheap. I would rather win knowing I played better than due to the fact that I farmed for longer than they did/got luckier. But to each their own.

I enjoy winning with gear that I have earned, thus earning that advantage if there even is one. I have even more fun if I outplay someone who has slightly or even far better gear than I do, but you cant do that if everyone is a cookie-cutter stat block. Wanting everyone to have the same crap, to me, is just lazy and doesnt want to put the work in on the PVE side of things, and I am even saying that as a PvP sociopath.

Yeah that's a philosophical difference. I don't want to be able to earn advantages, it takes away the satisfaction of knowing I fought better than they did because I wouldn't know if I won because of gear or skill. I'm not saying there's no skill in acquiring gear or putting together good builds, but that's completely different than fighting skill and actually being good at PvP. I liken it to having a numbers advantage over your opponent(s). For example, if an arena match was 6v5, the team with 6 will have an advantage at all times. If I was on the team of 6 and won, that would feel lame. If I lost, that also feels lame. It's a lose-lose for me. At that point, I don't know why I'd even play. But that's why I prefer games with equalized gear systems in PvP.

I look at it like training for a fight irl. If I put more work in and train harder than the other person and I make myself mentally stronger than my opponent, I am working to give myself an advantage over my opponent. Or should I limit myself to the exact same amount of training as them at the same limitations of strength and endurance instead of pushing myself beyond my own capabilities?

Stats on gear in MMOs reflect the strength your character would attain from acquiring that gear. So if you fight someone too strong for you due to them putting more work in? Put more work into it yourself.

You're overlooking the fact that there are weight classes in fighting.

I've been an athlete all my life. There's a reason they don't match a 220 lb guy against the guy that weights 130. People wouldn't enjoy watching such a one-sided fight either. The weight difference in fighting is equivalent to gear advantages in games.

Well of course you have weight classes. But if you take a 195lbs office worker who has never been in a fight in his life against a Lightheavyweight Champion at the same weight, they will get absolutely destroyed.

See that analogy described the skill difference. Gear difference would be giving the office worker metal gauntlets while the champion has rubber gloves. Now it's less about who is more skilled, because someone just had better gear...

Where as if they both get access to the same line up of gloves it levels the paying field and the skill dominates more.

In an RPG its not just the players skill, your characters stats factors into its ability. This is reflected in gear acquired, and level achieved. Itd be one thing if none of the items gave stats, and only provided armor and damage modifiers. But gear stats in RPGs are meant to reflect the strength and power gained through getting that item. And even then, nobody in this instance would stop the champ from putting on some gauntlets they pick up as well. Both players have access to the gear, its just a matter of them picking it up.

I already said I'm not sure OPs idea belongs in ashes...
    That being said I feel like for something like a instanced leader board the bragging rights would mean more if it was skill-based as opposed to someone who's had more free time...

If it's going to be instanced either way they could make two different leagues, one where it's bring your own gear and one where gear is issued of an equalizing tier set. Have two different leader boards.
  • Options
    Gui10 wrote: »
    I am siding with @NiKr on this one. Without the ability to switch things up via gear, you have less flexibility for playstyle and making builds. I get the OP trying to focus on player skill for arenas, but skill can also come from creating builds, and acquiring gear. I am by no means a huge PVE player, but if I manage to snag an amazing piece of gear and its gives me zero boost in any competitive PvP, thats lame as hell.

You can still switch things up via gear absolutely! The base armor stars are locked in but other than that, you have all the freedom to pick perks and addons such as frost resist, bleed sesist, % critical chance, % chance to cause bleed, % chance to proc heal, etc etc.
    Also, separating gear stats acquired through PVE for competitive PVP is directly contradicting the PvX mentality. To become great at PvP, you should need to acquire the gear through PvE

I agree 100% with the PvX side of things for all world PvP (node sieges, owpvp, caravan sieges, castles, etc) but I think adding this feature for arenas only would be great.

If I put in the time to get amazing gear, I want to be able to use it in every aspect of the game, especially the competitive instanced PVP. And switching gear should require you to have that gear. Not having an entire wardrobe to pick from at will. Otherwise you can basically ignore the rest of the game to only PvP. Vote is no.

I always found it interesting when people enjoy winning knowing they have a stat advantage over their opponents. If I beat someone like that, it feels cheap. I would rather win knowing I played better than due to the fact that I farmed for longer than they did/got luckier. But to each their own.

I enjoy winning with gear that I have earned, thus earning that advantage if there even is one. I have even more fun if I outplay someone who has slightly or even far better gear than I do, but you cant do that if everyone is a cookie-cutter stat block. Wanting everyone to have the same crap, to me, is just lazy and doesnt want to put the work in on the PVE side of things, and I am even saying that as a PvP sociopath.

Yeah that's a philosophical difference. I don't want to be able to earn advantages, it takes away the satisfaction of knowing I fought better than they did because I wouldn't know if I won because of gear or skill. I'm not saying there's no skill in acquiring gear or putting together good builds, but that's completely different than fighting skill and actually being good at PvP. I liken it to having a numbers advantage over your opponent(s). For example, if an arena match was 6v5, the team with 6 will have an advantage at all times. If I was on the team of 6 and won, that would feel lame. If I lost, that also feels lame. It's a lose-lose for me. At that point, I don't know why I'd even play. But that's why I prefer games with equalized gear systems in PvP.

I look at it like training for a fight irl. If I put more work in and train harder than the other person and I make myself mentally stronger than my opponent, I am working to give myself an advantage over my opponent. Or should I limit myself to the exact same amount of training as them at the same limitations of strength and endurance instead of pushing myself beyond my own capabilities?

Stats on gear in MMOs reflect the strength your character would attain from acquiring that gear. So if you fight someone too strong for you due to them putting more work in? Put more work into it yourself.

You're overlooking the fact that there are weight classes in fighting.

I've been an athlete all my life. There's a reason they don't match a 220 lb guy against the guy that weights 130. People wouldn't enjoy watching such a one-sided fight either. The weight difference in fighting is equivalent to gear advantages in games.

Well of course you have weight classes. But if you take a 195lbs office worker who has never been in a fight in his life against a Lightheavyweight Champion at the same weight, they will get absolutely destroyed.

See that analogy described the skill difference. Gear difference would be giving the office worker metal gauntlets while the champion has rubber gloves. Now it's less about who is more skilled, because someone just had better gear...

Where as if they both get access to the same line up of gloves it levels the paying field and the skill dominates more.

In an RPG its not just the players skill, your characters stats factors into its ability. This is reflected in gear acquired, and level achieved. Itd be one thing if none of the items gave stats, and only provided armor and damage modifiers. But gear stats in RPGs are meant to reflect the strength and power gained through getting that item. And even then, nobody in this instance would stop the champ from putting on some gauntlets they pick up as well. Both players have access to the gear, its just a matter of them picking it up.

I already said I'm not sure OPs idea belongs in ashes...
    That being said I feel like for something like a instanced leader board the bragging rights would mean more if it was skill-based as opposed to someone who's had more free time...

If it's going to be instanced either way they could make two different leagues, one where it's bring your own gear and one where gear is issued of an equalizing tier set. Have two different leader boards.

to me thats no different than PVE and PVP servers honestly. No need to separate the player base
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

If you have a stat advantage, it is because you earned that stat advantage.

You claim to be an athlete of some description. Do you feel bad when you beat someone knowing full well you have chosen to spend more time training than they have? Because that is the same thing. In an MMO, players have the choice to go out and get that stat advantage. Anyone that doesn't have it made the choice to not go out and get it.

That is on them, not you.

If you go in to a fight in an MMO with a stat advantage, it is because you are playing that MMO as a whole better than they are. An MMO isnt about just one fight, which seems to me to be what a few of you want. An MMO is about the whole game - how well you play the whole game should matter, and how well you play the whole game is directly reflected in your gear.
  • Options
    Imagine if there was a game where you HAD to PvP in order to acquire gear to complete PvE content. The players that only want to PvE would hate it.
    And Ashes is literally that game. And it takes inspiration from exactly such games.

Most people in L2's arenas fought in cross-class battles instead of inner-class ones. People had different lvls of gear and different rps matchups in pretty much every single fight. At the start of the ladder season you'd get a certain amount of points and would then get matched up against people with roughly the same amount (as long as there was enough of players to do that).

If you fell too low due to your shitty gear, you still had chances against weaker rps matchups, and if you were at the top - you could still get brought down by a stronger rps enemy (if player skill was equal).

But L2's arenas gave a ton of tangible rewards for people who performed well, so most players understood that they had to properly level up and equip their character if they wanted to compete. And in order to do that they had to both pve and pvp in the open world (cause, you know, it was a pvx game).

And you know what people did to have a fun casual pvp in "equal" gear? Just went to a local open world arena location and fought each other there. Guilds practiced there when they wanted and trained their weaker players in pvp too. And quite often it'd be a fun and social event. This type of stuff
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr9EHmL-1uM

p.s. for the love of fucking god, remove my ping from your messages. I've gotten 21 fucking pings from yall.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Noaani wrote: »

If you have a stat advantage, it is because you earned that stat advantage.
    I fully understand that earning better gear takes time, effort, and/or luck. However, in a competitive mode, allowing stat advantages is not indicative of a fair environment.
    You claim to be an athlete of some description. Do you feel bad when you beat someone knowing full well you have chosen to spend more time training than they have? Because that is the same thing. In an MMO, players have the choice to go out and get that stat advantage. Anyone that doesn't have it made the choice to not go out and get it.

That is on them, not you.
    No, I don't feel bad if I have chosen to spend more time training (or if I have been more efficient in my training) because that's not the issue. If I get matched against someone below my weight class or if I'm in a separate skill division, then I will and have felt bad about it. It's not a fair match because I have a weight advantage and/or a proven skill advantage. On the other hand, if my opponent is in my weight bracket and around the same 'rating' I'm at, then it's fair and whoever wins, wins.

As an example, the comparison would be having a 220 lb varsity athlete competing against a 130 lb varsity athlete. The stat advantage of weight (or gear in games) makes a huge difference. Also, proven skill in the form of win ratio or mmr also makes a big difference. That is why there is a distinction between varsity and jv as well as the division (D1 to D3) of school you compete for. Similarly, a varsity athlete vs. a jv athlete is also not a fair match. I'm not saying that stat advantages aren't part of competitions or games, but if they are, then the appropriate separation measures must be made otherwise it's not a fair or competitive environment.
    If you go in to a fight in an MMO with a stat advantage, it is because you are playing that MMO as a whole better than they are. An MMO isnt about just one fight, which seems to me to be what a few of you want. An MMO is about the whole game - how well you play the whole game should matter, and how well you play the whole game is directly reflected in your gear.
    Your performance in one gamemode shouldn't have a direct correlation to how you perform in another. There may be some overlap, but I wouldn't expect to be excel at PvE simply because I am good at PvP and vice versa. This may be a difference in philosophies.
  • Options
    @Blindside What is really the purpose of base-lining stats in instanced PvP other than to avoid having to participate in the rest of the games content? If everyone has the same access to the same gear and simply have to actively play the game to attain it to compete with each other, how is this unfair if everyone has to abide by the same aspects of gameplay and progression? Having the OP proposed style of play would separate the PVP and PVE community, which is what PvX game design actively discourages. The whole point of the design is to require players to participate in both PVP and PVE in order to progress in either content category.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Being really good at one gamemode shouldn't have a direct correlation to how you perform in another.

The game doesnt have "modes", it just has "the game".

I would agree that if we were playing something like an FPS with a CTF mode, a FFA mode and what ever other modes games like that have, then sure, being better at one mode shouldnt give you an advantage over players in another mode.

In Ashes, if there is some way to go back to the game menu, pick a different game mode other than persistent world MMO, and play in that, then sure, I would agree with your argument. However, logging in to the persistent world game, going to an arena and beginning a match is all taking place in that persistent world game mode, and as such, should be subject to benefits from other aspects of that game mode.

As I said earlier in this thread, a few people are trying to turn a persistent world game in to a lobby game.

The best way for people that play lobby games to look at an MMO is that the entire live game - from launch to shutdown - is a single match in one game mode. Achieving this is *literally* the point of spending tens of millions of dollars on creating a persistent world and acquiring the hardware to run it on.

If you aren't interested in a persistent world, why are you even here?

Your arguments are akin to me going to Epic and saying that Fortnite should have a "world" between matches, where players can go off an do things, and get gear and new abilities and then bring those abilities back to the matches.

That would be trying to turn a lobby game in to a persistent world game. As an argument, it makes no sense. Persistent world games are a thing,and lobby games are a different thing. Rather than trying to turn games from one to the other, you just decide which it is of the two you like, and you play those games.

Edit, also, your weight class argument is flawed. That would be like fighting someone of a different level in an MMORPG. Most games - Ashes included - discourage this.

Gear is much more akin to training, as within reason, effort in = results out. That is why I ignored the entire weight class argument and instead mentioned training.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    @Blindside What is really the purpose of base-lining stats in instanced PvP other than to avoid having to participate in the rest of the games content? If everyone has the same access to the same gear and simply have to actively play the game to attain it to compete with each other, how is this unfair if everyone has to abide by the same aspects of gameplay and progression? Having the OP proposed style of play would separate the PVP and PVE community, which is what PvX game design actively discourages. The whole point of the design is to require players to participate in both PVP and PVE in order to progress in either content category.

I mentioned this in another thread, but there are 8 primary archetypes in AoC and 64 total combinations of primary and secondary archetypes. In games, I generally have a main that I spend the most time on, but I learn really quickly and get bored fast, so I tend to play every single spec that is available. Other multiclassers may have other reasons for spreading themselves out, but that's mine. Personally, I feel like I would get burnt out leveling and gearing all 64 combinations along with whatever different builds that would be possible to make. It goes without saying that this likely isn't a widespread concern, but offering methods to progress that are unique to each gamemode along with equalizing gear in instanced arenas are a way to allow people to:
    1. Compete on as even of a playing field as possible, where PvP skill is the primary isolated and tested variable.
    2. Allow people to test out as many as/all of the different combinations of archetypes before deciding to commit to one as their main.
  • Options

I mentioned this in another thread, but there are 8 primary archetypes in AoC and 64 total combinations of primary and secondary archetypes. In games, I generally have a main that I spend the most time on, but I learn really quickly and get bored fast, so I tend to play every single spec that is available. Other multiclassers may have other reasons for spreading themselves out, but that's mine. Personally, I feel like I would get burnt out leveling and gearing all 64 combinations along with whatever different builds that would be possible to make. It goes without saying that this likely isn't a widespread concern, but offering methods to progress that are unique to each gamemode along with equalizing gear in instanced arenas are a way to allow people to:
    1. Compete on as even of a playing field as possible, where PvP skill is the primary isolated and tested variable.
    2. Allow people to test out as many as/all of the different combinations of archetypes before deciding to commit to one as their main.

By the sounds of it, you get bored because you are playing boring games.

Also, you would only need to level 8 characters in Ashes, not 64.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

What constitutes a game as boring is subjective. Personally, I have the most fun when I am learning new things. No matter how good I am at something, I recognize that there is always something I could've done better. However, if I feel like the situation is not productive or is repetitive, I get bored.

And yes, but I would have to gear all 64 assuming they aren't pigeonholed into a single build per archetype combination or if gear isn't account-bound.

I would rather we not derail the thread though, my personal view on these topics have no bearing on the discussion.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

What constitutes a game as boring is subjective.
    Yes it is.

And you stated that you get bored in games.

Ergo, from your subjective perspective, you play boring games.

Also, gear isnt account bound. The ability to buy and sell gear in the open economy is kind of one of the cornerstones of the game.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Being really good at one gamemode shouldn't have a direct correlation to how you perform in another.

I would agree that if we were playing something like an FPS with a CTF mode, a FFA mode and what ever other modes games like that have, then sure, being better at one mode shouldnt give you an advantage over players in another mode.

In Ashes, if there is some way to go back to the game menu, pick a different game mode other than persistent world MMO, and play in that, then sure, I would agree with your argument. However, logging in to the persistent world game, going to an arena and beginning a match is all taking place in that persistent world game mode, and as such, should be subject to benefits from other aspects of that game mode.

As I said earlier in this thread, a few people are trying to turn a persistent world game in to a lobby game.

The best way for people that play lobby games to look at an MMO is that the entire live game - from launch to shutdown - is a single match in one game mode. Achieving this is *literally* the point of spending tens of millions of dollars on creating a persistent world and acquiring the hardware to run it on.

Your arguments are akin to me going to Epic and saying that Fortnite should have a "world" between matches, where players can go off an do things, and get gear and new abilities and then bring those abilities back to the matches.

That would be trying to turn a lobby game in to a persistent world game. As an argument, it makes no sense. Persistent world games are a thing,and lobby games are a different thing. Rather than trying to turn games from one to the other, you just decide which it is of the two you like, and you play those games.

Edit, also, your weight class argument is flawed. That would be like fighting someone of a different level in an MMORPG. Most games - Ashes included - discourage this.

Gear is much more akin to training, as within reason, effort in = results out. That is why I ignored the entire weight class argument and instead mentioned training.

I don't think that's entirely accurate. There are going to be a few instanced scenarios in Ashes according to the wiki. For example, arenas fall into this category (https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Arenas) as well as castle and node sieges, and certain dungeons (https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Instancing). So yes, arenas are a different gamemode that is separate from the rest of the persistent open world.

Notice how I don't care whether gear affects the PvP in the persistent open world, but I care about whether it affects it in the separate, instanced PvP content that has the potential to have esports and is likely to have a rating system.

From the wiki:
    1. eSports is not the main focus, but the game will naturally move in that direction if the game play is compelling, competitive and fun.
    2. The arena ladder system records a player's progress within PvP seasons based on their arena win/loss ratios.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

I don't think that's entirely accurate. There are going to be a few instanced scenarios in Ashes according to the wiki. For example, arenas fall into this category (https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Arenas) as well as castle and node sieges, and certain dungeons (https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Instancing). So yes, arenas are a different gamemode that is separate from the rest of the persistent open world.

Notice how I don't care whether gear affects the PvP in the persistent open world, but I care about whether it affects it in the separate, instanced PvP content.

Instances are still a part of the same game mode.

Again, if you can access those instances from the games menu, rather than by having to log in to the persistent world (and probably physically going to the entrance to the arena), then you have a point worth making.

However, as long as you have to log in to the persistent game world, you are in persistent game world mode.

It is maybe worth mentioning that I am all for an MMO setting up a competition server that hosts events every few months, akin to what PoE used to do. Set up events with different rules, players create characters for those events on those servers, and then they compete.

This is how you do a different game mode in an MMO. Not instances.
  • Options

Notice how I don't care whether gear affects the PvP in the persistent open world, but I care about whether it affects it in the separate, instanced PvP content.

Instances are still a part of the same game mode.

Again, if you can access those instances from the games menu, rather than by having to log in to the persistent world (and probably physically going to the entrance to the arena), then you have a point worth making.

However, as long as you have to log in to the persistent game world, you are in persistent game world mode.

I don't know if I agree with that. From what I understand, a persistent world means it continues to exist independently of user interaction. Instanced content in the context of PvP generates a copy of a specific location for a specific group of players. Those are two very different things. I would assume that arenas would be accessed through a menu. The wiki says:
    1. Arena style combat is instanced but spectators may be possible through an interface.
    2. The importance of arenas are obviously that players have an opportunity to participate [and] practice out certain builds from a PvP perspective and can compete with one another within the system.

I would speculate that the interface in question is probably the same one that would be used to enter the instanced content. And, Steven himself said that being able to practice certain builds from a PvP perspective is important. This, in combination with the progression system being horizontal after reaching max level, leads me to believe that gear is going to be equalized.
  • Options
    Here's what seems quite unfair to me. You're asking for something "for free" that pretty much everyone else has to work very hard to get for themselves. You want high end pvp content w/o any time investment, while literally every other high end content in the game requires you to put in hundreds of hours to even get to, let alone participate in.

Why must I spend thousands of hours to get the chance to fight the epic end game boss (which includes pvping another guild for it), while you can just make a character spend 5 minutes on it and immediately go pvp in the best possible gear? How is that fair exactly?

I'm completely fine with arenas having a gear ceiling which is lower than the open world's one (literally what L2 did), but if you want to participate in an mmo's high end content - go play the mmo. I'm glad that GW2 provides a game where you can just play pvp w/o playing the mmo, but Ashes is not trying to take that particular design choice as its inspiration, so GW can be for lobby pvpers as what Ashes is trying to be for the open world pvpers - a game that others can send you to when you ask for that gameplay in a game that's not built for it.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    NiKr wrote: »
    Here's what seems quite unfair to me. You're asking for something "for free" that pretty much everyone else has to work very hard to get for themselves. You want high end pvp content w/o any time investment, while literally every other high end content in the game requires you to put in hundreds of hours to even get to, let alone participate in.

Why must I spend thousands of hours to get the chance to fight the epic end game boss (which includes pvping another guild for it), while you can just make a character spend 5 minutes on it and immediately go pvp in the best possible gear? How is that fair exactly?

I'm completely fine with arenas having a gear ceiling which is lower than the open world's one (literally what L2 did), but if you want to participate in an mmo's high end content - go play the mmo. I'm glad that GW2 provides a game where you can just play pvp w/o playing the mmo, but Ashes is not trying to take that particular design choice as its inspiration, so GW can be for lobby pvpers as what Ashes is trying to be for the open world pvpers - a game that others can send you to when you ask for that gameplay in a game that's not built for it.

Well the gear wouldn't transfer outside of the instanced arena content. So, it wouldn't have any impact on the rest of the game. If I wanted to fight the 'epic end game boss' or do open world PvP, I would still need the levels and gear for it. Does that answer your question?

A game that is open to esports cannot limit its participants to those who have hundreds or thousands of hours to spare to even achieve a level where they can begin competing. The barrier to entry would be too high and the idea of potential esports is DOA if that's the case.
  • Options
    Well the gear wouldn't transfer outside of the instanced arena content. So, it wouldn't have any impact on the rest of the game. If I wanted to fight the 'epic end game boss' or do open world PvP, I would still need the levels and gear for it. Does that answer your question?
    No it doesn't, because to you that pvp is already your preferred end game content. And you can participate in it w/o any investment, while everyone else has to play for much longer to reach their preferred end game.
    A game that is open to esports cannot limit its participants to those who have hundreds or thousands of hours to spare to even achieve a level where they can begin competing. The barrier to entry would be too high and the idea of potential esports is DOA if that's the case.
    You have literally posted a quote that states "esports is not the goal". Byproducts of design may rise up on their own, but Intrepid has not shown any desire to make esports-like gameplay a viable way to play the game.

And as the same wiki page points out, there's currently no intention to provide gear as a pvp reward, which means that "purely pvp gameplay" is also not an intended way to play the game. But what you're suggesting is exactly that - a purely pvp gameplay. Which brings us back to the good ol' meme of "this game might not be for you".
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »

Those players with the skill and putting in the work would be fighting eachother in their bracket, while players who dont put in the work would be facing eachother in their own rated bracket due to not being able to compete as well. Want to fight with the players who put in the most work and have the most skill? Then put in the work as well. No need to have everything handed to you. Just play the game to progress. And the focus for Ashes of Creation isnt Esports. The focus is to be a good MMORPG.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2022

I don't know if I agree with that.
    I just want to check something here.

Are you saying that if you create a character in a persistent MMO, and log in to said persistent world, then move your now persistent character in that persistent world in that persistent MMO to an instance and zone in to that instance, you now dont consider that to be a part of that persistent world game, even though you are still very obviously in that persistent world, and others in that persistent world (and ONLY in that persistent world) can still interact with you?

Being in an instance within a persistent world does not mean you are in a different game mode - it is just a different content type within that same game mode.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

This is both counterintuitively incorrect AND not relevant to Ashes.

Since gear can be traded in Ashes, any eSports org would simply have more players from whom they could source gear for their mainline members.

And, similarly, since Ashes 'as an eSport' would probably be both 'bracketed' and 'team based', it is unlikely that they would NOT have a hundred/thousand hour requirement, as that is what many games require to enter the skill bracket where you are part of the 'competitive tier'.

That said, you would still be able to compete in related brackets.

So if there is a 'level 30 bracket' all you would need is 'enough other people to give you good level 30 gear' and your skill and you have the 'standard outcome'.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options

There is no expectation that Ashes will be an esports title.

The only comments ever made by Intrepid in relation to esport makes it clear that they dont actually care/want the game to be considered an esport title, and that would only ever be a thing if the esport community made it happen (at which point they would consider supporting the idea).
  • Options
    And the focus for Ashes of Creation isnt Esports. The focus is to be a good MMORPG.

I did not say that esports was the focus. I reiterated what Steven said that the game is open to it and will naturally move in that direction if they make the gameplay compelling, competitive, and fun. Their focus is the 'compelling, competitive, and fun' part. If they succeed, then Ashes has the potential to have esports. If they do not succeed, then Ashes is less likely to have esports. Me saying that Ashes is admittedly open to or has potential for esports is not the same as saying that I believe esports is their focus.
    Are you saying that if you create a character in a persistent MMO, and log in to said persistent world, then move your now persistent character in that persistent world in that persistent MMO to an instance and zone in to that instance, you now dont consider that to be a part of that persistent world game, even though you are still very obviously in that persistent world, and others in that persistent world (and ONLY in that persistent world) can still interact with you?

Being in an instance within a persistent world does not mean you are in a different game mode - it is just a different content type within that same game mode.

By definition, instanced content is separate from the persistent world. That is why it is called 'instanced.'

According to the wiki: Arenas are instanced PvP scenarios and are not part of open world PvP.(https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Instancing)

Key words here being "not part of (persistent)/open world."
  • Options

By definition, instanced content is separate from the persistent world. That is why it is called 'instanced.'

According to the wiki: Arenas are instanced PvP scenarios and are not part of open world PvP.(https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Instancing)

Not part of the persistent open world, but still a part of the persistent open world game mode.

Once again, you have to literally travel through the open world to get to the arena. Thus, it is a part of that game mode.

If it were a different game mode, there would be a game mode selection in the game menu.
  • Options

Not part of the persistent open world, but still a part of the persistent open world game mode.

Once again, you have to literally travel through the open world to get to the arena. Thus, it is a part of that game mode.

If it were a different game mode, there would be a game mode selection in the game menu.

Okay and neither of us know who will be correct by your logic until we figure out whether the arenas can be accessed from the interface mentioned in the wiki or if you have to walk to it. Moot point.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Well, I'd like to make the further point that in a game with complex builds, no matter what you do, any change whatsoever to my character is not 'leveling the playing field' at all, even if my opponent must also change.

It's just perpetuating the same thing you were mentioning before.

It typically takes 3 hours to un-train muscle memory after a small patch for my character.

Another 8 to retrain any new muscle memory.

Another 6-10 to retrain any tactical change.

My ships in another game where I have complete control of them, require me to train separately for flying them with 'cargo hold full' and 'cargo hold empty'. 10-15% accuracy loss on railguns if the wrong amount of items are in the cargo hold and I don't do a 3-step thing to 'reset the flight curve' on literally every merge/joust/whatever.

If any form of gear equalization adds even 1s of Cooldown to a single ability, or loses one point of health regen per tick... things have shifted.

I don't doubt that for many people this would still be a good eSport, after all, MOBAs exist, but those are built around players practicing counterplay BUILDING and strategies, and progressions through matches.

Ashes Arenas would not be very similar to this for most people, being 'based on' the main game world, and therefore equalization of gear would be such a monumental task (if they wished to avoid the problem) as to be pointless.

Surely, it would have the potential to create a subset of players who learn how to play 'within the equalized gear mode' well, but the skill type represented by that subset of players might not be at all representative of the main game's skilled players. And I suspect that Intrepid would not want THAT.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Azherae wrote: »

This is both counterintuitively incorrect AND not relevant to Ashes.

Since gear can be traded in Ashes, any eSports org would simply have more players from whom they could source gear for their mainline members.

And, similarly, since Ashes 'as an eSport' would probably be both 'bracketed' and 'team based', it is unlikely that they would NOT have a hundred/thousand hour requirement, as that is what many games require to enter the skill bracket where you are part of the 'competitive tier'.

That said, you would still be able to compete in related brackets.

So if there is a 'level 30 bracket' all you would need is 'enough other people to give you good level 30 gear' and your skill and you have the 'standard outcome'.

I cannot name a single mmo or gear-based game that takes hundreds or thousands of hours to farm for that has a successful and thriving esports scene. You need a large number of players to fuel the competition and to make it profitable enough for gaming orgs to invest resources in the players they pick up. Artificially increasing the barrier to entry for whatever gamemode has the potential to be esports is going to hurt that potential. I have a lot of experience with orgs and the players on them due to my gaming history, I also know firsthand how quickly orgs can pull out of games and drop their members when the numbers don't support their efforts. My coach that scouted me for Apex was signed to one of the biggest orgs in the game as a professional player, my teammate was picked up to one of the top 3 orgs as a pro, I have other friends in the scene as well that still compete. Even in Apex, a massive game, both of those first 2 orgs pulled out and dropped their rosters (along with several other orgs) when the competition was struggling for a brief period of time. Many of them ended up recruiting in Valorant where the money was.

I may be wrong, but from my experience, I highly doubt an esports org will have a team of players farming gear for the main roster unless they were able to pull in hundreds of thousands of dollars at a minimum from Ashes esports. Content creation is a much safer alternative which is why you see a lot of pro players transition from high risk, high stress esports careers into safer, lower stress content creation contracts when given the opportunity.