Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Could there be a server where you only have 1 character?

Comments

• Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited February 16
    Why is this Topic still a thing ?

If for whatever the Reason Sir Steven and his mighty Crew decide, that such a Type of Server shall exist - then it will most likely exist.

And if it makes no Sense,
    and if it has no logical Reason to do so,

then it will most likely not exist in the Game. With this, everything needed should be said. This Topic has the same, adventurous Vibe to me, as the "Hardcore-Server"-kind of Vibe, in which a Player dies once and his Character is forever dead.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    Why is this Topic still a thing ?

If for whatever the Reason Sir Steven and his mighty Crew decide, that such a Type of Server shall exist - then it will most likely exist.

And if it makes no Sense,
    and if it has no logical Reason to do so,

then it will most likely not exist in the Game. With this, everything needed should be said. This Topic has the same, adventurous Vibe to me, as the "Hardcore-Server"-kind of Vibe, in which a Player dies once and his Character is forever dead.

hi, I have about 7 emerging problems with the alts, I won't list them.

If I could get a meaningful answer to these from someone who is actually a developer or admin, then it could be closed.

The admin responded 1 time, I was not satisfied with his answer.

If they are not flexible enough. Then come the broken servers.

• Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 17
    xmix wrote: »

If I could get a meaningful answer to these from someone who is actually a developer or admin, then it could be closed.

The hubris and entitlement this answer reeks of is what is wrong with modern gaming. That you feel you are entitled to even a single response from a developer, much less the one you already received from a community manager employed by the company, shows that you are that special type that won't be satisfied with the answers they have already given multiple times over development, that are reflected in easy to find sections of the wiki, and will not be changed because "I think they should do this....." You shot your shot, you got a response, it wasn't what you wanted, now evolve or die.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member

The hubris and entitlement this answer reeks of is what is wrong with modern gaming. That you feel you are entitled to even a single response from a developer, much less the one you already received from a community manager employed by the company, shows that you are that special type that won't be satisfied with the answers they have already given multiple times over development, that are reflected in easy to find sections of the wiki, and will not be changed because "I think they should do this....." You shot your shot, you got a response, it wasn't what you wanted, now evolve or die.

The fact that you have 1 character and you have 1 other alt character in 1 other city doesn't this count as fast travel on some level? Can you take part in events that, if you had 1 character, you wouldn't get there or the journey would be 2 hours and you wouldn't bother with it.when you have 8 characters, you can be present on the entire map.

Not in the short term, in the long term. If this is how it will work, it could be a loophole or a problem. But it could be just me thinking so.

I don't want to rewrite the entire game in my own image. that's why I want 1 server to be created with such minimal changes which has no alts because that would solve all my problems.

It wouldn't affect the main servers. You wouldn't have to interfere with the game at any level. You would only have the choice.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited February 18
    Your question was answered by Steven before you even asked it.

There will not be any alternate ruleset servers for Ashes of Creation.

If Intrepid went around re-answering the same questions every time someone new asked them, we would never get the game.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    Noaani wrote: »

If Intrepid went around re-answering the same questions every time someone new asked them, we would never get the game.

I would be more interested in what you could add to my previous post.

Virtually fast travel with alts.
  • Options

I dont care what you are interested in. If you post a comment, you invite replies to it. People can pick which of your comments they reply to, you get no say in that at all.

The comment about alts being fast travel is so asinine that it isnt worth commenting on.
  • Options
    You shot your shot, you got a response, it wasn't what you wanted, now evolve or die.

Ouch 😂 you made it sound brutal AND funny at the same time. 🤣

I personally would appreciate if one of the Developers answers me directly here in the Forum. I think i got once(?) a Reply from one of the Admins here ?

Personally i am more confused. " xmix's Concern " is that the Servers "might become broken" or so ??

How so ? How could Servers get in trouble by not being a 1-Character-only-type of Server ? 🤔
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member

I dont care what you are interested in. If you post a comment, you invite replies to it. People can pick which of your comments they reply to, you get no say in that at all.

The comment about alts being fast travel is so asinine that it isnt worth commenting on.

You can also drink. You take out 1 sentence from a post and react to it, which is part of 1 conversation, so it is the result of several comments.

It's hard to have a meaningful conversation with blinded fans. I think there may be problems in the game and loopholes that the developers didn't think of.

But it may be more important to the developers that you spend as much unnecessary time as possible in the game or you will be left behind. But this is also just a matter of perspective.

I think alts will have a bad effect on the server in the long run. The number of players will not change, but the number of professions and castes will continue to increase.

As I have already written to 2 other people. The two of them still keep the soul in the post, so if you didn't write, I don't think it would be able to stay up for a long time.

But if someone writes something positive or negative here, I usually respond because it's just my post. But anyway, I let it go 1 year ago.

But I see that it is unnecessary. I argue with people who have read the wiki twice and played in alpha and know everything.

You don't have to react to it (you only increase the views and the number of comments), which is only positive for me.
  • Options
    It's hard to have a meaningful conversation with blinded fans.

This is true - but is also not what you are doing. At least, not in relation to me.

I'm probably the most critical person on these forums- possibly the most critical person of Ashes full stop.

However, critical of the game as I am, if Steven says no alternate ruleset servers, then your question is answered.

It *reall* doesnt matter if someone thinks alts are pay to win, fast travel, breaking the economy, what ever. The simple fact is, "No alternate ruleset servers".

As such, there simply isnt a discussion to have here. This is why you are having trouble getting one going - there is nothing at all to talk about.

Now, if Intrepid came out and said they are open to having a number of alternate ruleset servers, then the discussion on whether a no alt server should be one of them is worth having. However, until Intrepid make that statement, again, there isnt any discussion to be had past you askinguspostersabout it,and us telling you what Steven has said.

Your last paragraph confuses me. Why would anyone care how many views or comments a thread had?
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    You shot your shot, you got a response, it wasn't what you wanted, now evolve or die.

Ouch 😂 you made it sound brutal AND funny at the same time. 🤣

I personally would appreciate if one of the Developers answers me directly here in the Forum. I think i got once(?) a Reply from one of the Admins here ?

Personally i am more confused. " xmix's Concern " is that the Servers "might become broken" or so ??

How so ? How could Servers get in trouble by not being a 1-Character-only-type of Server ? 🤔

So the number of players is not increasing, but professions and castes are constantly increasing because of altos.

over time professions will have less value if everyone has a profession by alt character.

by placing alt characters in different cities and changing 1 character, you can travel about fast and take part in events that you wouldn't be able to get there.

you can make alt troll characters called Askallon and I could hunt your guild members and there are no consequences because there is only 1 alt character

You can register for events that you won't participate in afterwards and it doesn't matter because you're an alt character, so I don't care what your reputation

everyone will have a priest and a tank character and they don't look for people to go fight, they just change characters and there is already 1 priest in the team and you don't have to look for them or recruit the guild

I think these can worsen the quality of the server,

but these can also be just assumptions, it will not be possible to do any of them, only I see horrors
  • Options
    So the number of players is not increasing, but professions and castes are constantly increasing because of altos.

Ahhh !! 💡 Thanks for explaining. It finally clicked inside my Head.

But won't there be so many People on One Server alone that "Grandmasters" of every Profession will more or less always be available anyway ? Of Course i could be wrong, but People said there will be like 3000 People on One Server.

Others even said there will be up to like 9000. And if every Player can truly be a Grandmaster in Two Professions and if there are like +20 Artisan/Professions in the Game ... ...

I just can't see how they will not be around in Abundance.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    It's hard to have a meaningful conversation with blinded fans.

This is true - but is also not what you are doing. At least, not in relation to me.

I'm probably the most critical person on these forums- possibly the most critical person of Ashes full stop.

However, critical of the game as I am, if Steven says no alternate ruleset servers, then your question is answered.

It *reall* doesnt matter if someone thinks alts are pay to win, fast travel, breaking the economy, what ever. The simple fact is, "No alternate ruleset servers".

As such, there simply isnt a discussion to have here. This is why you are having trouble getting one going - there is nothing at all to talk about.

Now, if Intrepid came out and said they are open to having a number of alternate ruleset servers, then the discussion on whether a no alt server should be one of them is worth having. However, until Intrepid make that statement, again, there isnt any discussion to be had past you askinguspostersabout it,and us telling you what Steven has said.

Your last paragraph confuses me. Why would anyone care how many views or comments a thread had?

You wouldn't have reacted to it if the post wasn't always prioritized because comments are written on a daily basis.

I'm so naive if enough comments and complaints received when someone reads it and reacts to it. On a larger level.

Anyway, a solution can be found for everything. But these problems can arise and it is important to talk about them. You can show them right now. But if these problems come out after half a year, patching the game is not the right thing to do.

I know what the developers' position is, but if we don't talk about it, there will be no change.This is my opinion.

Maybe I'll pop in for 1-2 months and see what it's like.But then I'll check the broken servers if there are any.

if it contains mistakes that I think are mistakes

• Options
    You wouldn't have reacted to it if the post wasn't always prioritized because comments are written on a daily basis.

I'm so naive if enough comments and complaints received when someone reads it and reacts to it. On a larger level.

It's the part where you said it's only a positive for you that has me confused.

You want more people seeing the bad take you have here? Seeing you desperately trying to come up with any argument at all to support your foundation less original point? How is that only a positive thing for you?

No one in any MMORPG has presented any issue at all that could be fixed by having 1 in 10 servers offer a specific ruleset. If it is an issue, that issue is still present on the remaining servers and so needs to be patched regardless.

This is, of course, assuming we were talking about an actual issue, which we are not.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member

Ahhh !! 💡 Thanks for explaining. It finally clicked inside my Head.

But won't there be so many People on One Server alone that "Grandmasters" of every Profession will more or less always be available anyway ? Of Course i could be wrong, but People said there will be like 3000 People on One Server.

Others even said there will be up to like 9000. And if every Player can truly be a Grandmaster in Two Professions and if there are like +20 Artisan/Professions in the Game ... ...

I just can't see how they will not be around in Abundance.

There will be 10,000 more people on the servers, that's for sure.

You can become a master of 1 profession with 1 character

and maybe you can have 1-2 specialties, but they are not master's level

You divide the 20 professions among 10,000 people, so 1 profession will be cultivated by 500

so you multiply by 8 because you can have a character

80,000 professions must be divided into 20, that's already 4,000 people who can have the same profession as you (extreme example)

you will rather be bound to 1 city, you will not be a global player. maybe you will not have any interaction with 50% of the inhabitants of the server

half a day would be spent on a trip back there.

There are 3 woodcutters in 1 city. They can cut wood continuously. What happens if 20-30 alt woodcutters appear in the city?it will be a match of woodcutters.

the value of the tree will drop because there will be a lot of it. and maybe you're the lumberjack who won't be able to prevail because you don't have alt characters

However, many people say that these problems only exist in my head and have no basis

• Options
    xmixxmix Member

It's the part where you said it's only a positive for you that has me confused.

You want more people seeing the bad take you have here? Seeing you desperately trying to come up with any argument at all to support your foundation less original point? How is that only a positive thing for you?

No one in any MMORPG has presented any issue at all that could be fixed by having 1 in 10 servers offer a specific ruleset. If it is an issue, that issue is still present on the remaining servers and so needs to be patched regardless.

This is, of course, assuming we were talking about an actual issue, which we are not.

There are many positives in having many characters individually, and I wouldn't take this opportunity away from anyone.8 professions 8 castes.its effects on the community will be negative.every 2nd person will have master woodcutter character and i only have 1 woodcutter profession

the positive effect is that they keep writing, even if it's negative. 80-90% of people don't read what's in the reactions, they only react to the main title.

Anyway, several people have already reacted positively to the post.
    Could interpret what the problems are, which I think are problems.

• Options
    the positive effect is that they keep writing, even if it's negative. 80-90% of people don't read what's in the reactions, they only react to the main title.

If someone is only reading the title and not the posts within a thread, it is because they do not care about the subject the title tells them the thread is about.
    Ive seen you say what you think the problems are,but I've not seen you offer up anything to suggest they will be actual problems.

You cant take examples from a game like ESO (that never places much focus in the economy), and assume the same thing will be true in a game that does focus on its economy.

Fact is, of the very small number of MMO's that have put real focus on the economy, none of the issues you have talked about have happened.

Thus,none of the things you have talked about can be considered problems at all.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member

If someone is only reading the title and not the posts within a thread, it is because they do not care about the subject the title tells them the thread is about.
    Ive seen you say what you think the problems are,but I've not seen you offer up anything to suggest they will be actual problems.

You cant take examples from a game like ESO (that never places much focus in the economy), and assume the same thing will be true in a game that does focus on its economy.

Fact is, of the very small number of MMO's that have put real focus on the economy, none of the issues you have talked about have happened.

Thus,none of the things you have talked about can be considered problems at all.

I think that if he was not at all interested in the topic, no would write a comment

ESO I didn't really experience that there was much trade there, but maybe I didn't immerse myself enough in the game( Elder Scrolls Online?)

I wrote this for someone else, but I don't feel like writing anymore

over time professions will have less value if everyone has a profession by alt character.

by placing alt characters in different cities and changing 1 character, you can travel about fast and take part in events that you wouldn't be able to get there.

you can make alt troll characters called Nooani and I could hunt your guild members and there are no consequences because there is only 1 alt character

You can register for events that you won't participate in afterwards and it doesn't matter because you're an alt character, so I don't care what your reputation

everyone will have a priest and a tank character and they don't look for people to go fight, they just change characters and there is already 1 priest in the team and you don't have to look for them or recruit the guild

but these can also be just assumptions, it will not be possible to do any of them, only I see horrors
  • Options
    ESO I didn't really experience that there was much trade there, but maybe I didn't immerse myself enough in the game( Elder Scrolls Online?)
    No, there wasn't.

That is kind of the point. Developers make the game based on the decisions they have already made about the game.

If Intrepid want to have a solid economy with a lot of trading required for crafters to do their thing, then the developer of the game will make sure that is something that is required, even with alts taken in to account.

On the other hand, in other games where that isn't the goal, they won't bother making sure of that.

Thus, the entire premise of your OP is rendered moot.

Now on to the random straws you have since grasped at.
    Why would this be the case?

As older players leave the game, their characters cease to be available to provide work. There is a fairly stagnant percentage of players that are willing to spend any real time crafting in an MMORPG (10 - 15%), so if the population is not increasing, the number of characters with professions is not increasing.
    But not everyone will.

Everyone having a profession is something that happens in games with a lack of content (WoW, for example). It is not something that would happen in a game like Ashes, assuming Ashes is developed competently.
    I mean, this isn't fast travel.

The main reason for no fast travel in Ashes is in relation to raw materials, not in relation to the ability for players to participate in content. The fact that alts increase the likelihood of players being able to participate in content is a boon for alts, not a con.
    you can make alt troll characters called Nooani and I could hunt your guild members and there are no consequences because there is only 1 alt character
    So?
    So?

For both of these two points, espionage is supposed to be a part of the game. Working out how to deal with these things is literally intended gameplay.
    Yeah, people can play with their friends more often, how is that a bad thing?
    You think people being able to play with their friends more easily, able to more easily participate in event based content, being able to participate in espionage based gameplay are things that make a server worse?

That is a really interesting take.

An incorrect take, but an interesting one.
    Yeah, they are assumptions.

Making assumptions is fine, just have a foundation for them - your assumptions here are literally baseless. They are just assumptions you have made because you simply want a one character server, and so are assuming all of the above in an effort to argue the point.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    No, there wasn't.

That is kind of the point. Developers make the game based on the decisions they have already made about the game.

If Intrepid want to have a solid economy with a lot of trading required for crafters to do their thing, then the developer of the game will make sure that is something that is required, even with alts taken in to account.

On the other hand, in other games where that isn't the goal, they won't bother making sure of that.

Thus, the entire premise of your OP is rendered moot.

Now on to the random straws you have since grasped at.
    Why would this be the case?

As older players leave the game, their characters cease to be available to provide work. There is a fairly stagnant percentage of players that are willing to spend any real time crafting in an MMORPG (10 - 15%), so if the population is not increasing, the number of characters with professions is not increasing.
    But not everyone will.

Everyone having a profession is something that happens in games with a lack of content (WoW, for example). It is not something that would happen in a game like Ashes, assuming Ashes is developed competently.
    I mean, this isn't fast travel.

The main reason for no fast travel in Ashes is in relation to raw materials, not in relation to the ability for players to participate in content. The fact that alts increase the likelihood of players being able to participate in content is a boon for alts, not a con.
    So?
    So?

For both of these two points, espionage is supposed to be a part of the game. Working out how to deal with these things is literally intended gameplay.
    Yeah, people can play with their friends more often, how is that a bad thing?
    You think people being able to play with their friends more easily, able to more easily participate in event based content, being able to participate in espionage based gameplay are things that make a server worse?

That is a really interesting take.

An incorrect take, but an interesting one.
    Yeah, they are assumptions.

Making assumptions is fine, just have a foundation for them - your assumptions here are literally baseless. They are just assumptions you have made because you simply want a one character server, and so are assuming all of the above in an effort to argue the point.

let's just say we won't agree. I can partially agree with 1-2 things, but there are some that I don't agree with at all.

We are not the same and you couldn't change my mind.

neither do I your opinion

You prefer to focus on the individual experience, but it is disadvantageous for the community (MAYBE)

me the other way around. They would take away opportunities from people and they should compensate for this with the community.

I didn't mean this as an insult before you take it as such.
  • Options
    edited February 19
    They would take away opportunities from people and they should compensate for this with the community.
    What makes you think they won't do this?

Not allowing people to have alts (even on just one server) is not the only way to maintain a system where players need each other in order to craft at the higher end.

If Intrepid develop a system where alts are included in the design (as both EVE and Archeage have done, among others), yet there is still a need to work together, a server where alts are not allowed would be quite broken.

Your issue is that you don't actually want to solve any real issues, you just want the thing you want and are fabricating "issues" in order to continue to make an argument.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    They would take away opportunities from people and they should compensate for this with the community.
    What makes you think they won't do this?

Not allowing people to have alts (even on just one server) is not the only way to maintain a system where players need each other in order to craft at the higher end.

If Intrepid develop a system where alts are included in the design (as both EVE and Archeage have done, among others), yet there is still a need to work together, a server where alts are not allowed would be quite broken.

Your issue is that you don't actually want to solve any real issues, you just want the thing you want and are fabricating "issues" in order to continue to make an argument.

There is only spying, which is linked to the alts so that you can spy with 0 responsibility.

do you think it's good if we replace the lost professions with the alts, for example, a city of 20 people has a different profession. 4-5 people leave the game there or move to another city. and to fill their profession with altos

In any case, you also partly admitted the fast travel with alts, that they can take part in events more easily.
    it's not a scam, but a loophole that you can use to gain benefits.

• Options
    JhorenJhoren Member
    edited February 19
    Could there be such a server? Yes. Should there be such a server? No.

Not because I hate the idea of a single character server, but once they open up for special ruleset servers, people will whine and complain and lobby for other special ruleset servers too.

Then there is the issue of having enough people to fill such a server. All the servers are localized around different timezones, because that is when sieges can happen. Having special ruleset servers might spread the player base too thinly in each region.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The fact that you have 1 character and you have 1 other alt character in 1 other city doesn't this count as fast travel on some level? Can you take part in events that, if you had 1 character, you wouldn't get there or the journey would be 2 hours and you wouldn't bother with it.when you have 8 characters, you can be present on the entire map.
    No... It's not fast travel on some level because RPGs are about the player Character; not about the player.
    Alts have different abilities, strengths and weaknesses and interests than the main... and even the player.
    My alt, Briarthorn, attending an event would be a signifcantly different experience than my main, Dygz, attending an event.

In EQ2, my main was a Ratonga who was a slave of my Kerran alt.
    Completely different personalities and interests.
    And completely different group interactions... especially since the Ratonga had the restriction of only wearing starting rags and a gear score provided by weapon and Jewelry Crafted by her master.
  • Options
    OtrOtr Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    No... It's not fast travel on some level because RPGs are about the player Character; not about the player.
    Alts have different abilities, strengths and weaknesses and interests than the main... and even the player.
    My alt, Briarthorn, attending an event would be a signifcantly different experience than my main, Dygz, attending an event.

And completely different group interactions... especially since the Ratonga had the restriction of only wearing starting rags and a gear score provided by weapon and Jewelry Crafted by her master.

This is a very good reason to have multiple characters on a server.
    The intention is to reduce the fast travel of resources and goods, not players.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member

There can be several characters of the same caste, they differ only in the profession 1-2+. The rest would have other castes.

For example, after 1 boss dragon is killed, 24 people in 1 team quit. Everyone goes back to their character to farm and do things. They kill the boss 10-15 times and only then go home.

In each main city, you recruit 1 alt character and you would either stand as a mercenary as a defender or an attacker, or you would throw yourself into the current guild in order to participate.

In most mmo there are no restrictions on the ability to equip alts. And I don't think there will be any here either. But maybe I misinterpreted what you wrote.

And don't get into the details that if you were to fight 10x15, you would have to improve your equipment at 3-4 and the like. You can't even kill dragon with 24 people, you need at least 25 people.
  • Options
    Alts could be very different or very much the same - with a plethora of variety in-between.
    That's the foundation of RPGs.
  • Options

Wait. Did i confound that somehow ?? Are we talking about Grandmaster or Master ?

* Goes to watch the Wiki and YouTube again *
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member

Wait. Did i confound that somehow ?? Are we talking about Grandmaster or Master ?

* Goes to watch the Wiki and YouTube again *

So you can only be the best in 1 profession per character.
  • Options
    A character may only ever be a Master in up to 3 professions and Grandmaster in up to 2 professions across all artisan branches.