Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Fighters are vampires? (Please read this)

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    What IF ARGUEMENTS around min-max META in pre-alpha 2 is also dumb since you don't know how anything plays yet..
    The exact same can be said about literally every other topic related to the game. So answer me this
    c86jjp6giwzm.gif
    Guess we're all just dumb for discussing every possible design direction. Woe is us.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    NiKr wrote: »
    What IF ARGUEMENTS around min-max META in pre-alpha 2 is also dumb since you don't know how anything plays yet..
    The exact same can be said about literally every other topic related to the game. So answer me this
    c86jjp6giwzm.gif
    Guess we're all just dumb for discussing every possible design direction. Woe is us.

There is a big difference between other topics and talking about balance issues pre alpha 2....
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Min/Max META is a playstyle that has nothing to do with balance or design.
    Those who are concerned with it will always be concernced with it.
    And those who don't care about it will never care about it.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    There is a big difference between other topics and talking about balance issues pre alpha 2....
    Sieges and zergs are a balance issue (cause we don't know what kind of tools we'll have to address zerg). Economy is a balance issue (like, the entire fucking world depends on how the overall economy levers are balanced). Corruption is a balance issue. DPS meters are the god damn incarnation of pve balancing. And every damn thread about every damn archetype/pvp/pve showcase has been about "I like this" or "I dislike this" - all of which are "balancing issues".

So yes, I do think we are all just dumb. And the last one to acknowledge that is the dumbest.
    0odx8wkumn3t.gif
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Sieges and zergs are a balance issue (cause we don't know what kind of tools we'll have to address zerg). Economy is a balance issue (like, the entire fucking world depends on how the overall economy levers are balanced). Corruption is a balance issue. DPS meters are the god damn incarnation of pve balancing. And every damn thread about every damn archetype/pvp/pve showcase has been about "I like this" or "I dislike this" - all of which are "balancing issues".

So yes, I do think we are all just dumb. And the last one to acknowledge that is the dumbest.
    0odx8wkumn3t.gif

Talking about sieges and what you want from that is different than talking about balance issues from skills as you are talking about the design of the whole process.

You are just throwing economy in there without talking about any kind of detail. So you are lacking context to what is being mentioned here. It would be the same if you were arguing about one material would make the game unbalanced and saying devs need to change it. It would not be the same if you are talking about the overall systems and how things work.

Corruption would be the same if you started arguing people need to gain more corruption (while having no clue how much corruption you gain to begin with).

DPS meter I'm not even going to get into that that is a lot more complicated.

If you are saying most feeding they are getting is people saying something is too strong that is a issue in itself with people not understanding alpha and ignoring them saying balance pass has not been done.

Saying what if this skill is the best of min-max isn't a argument for skills on pre-alpha 2 that has to be one of the worse offending points in terms of talking about balance with any issue. Up there with arguing you gain too much corruption or too little pre alpha 2.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited April 5
    Noaani wrote: »
    Diamaht wrote: »
    Hey! I loved just about everything that the team has done with the fighter archetype but one thing. Since when has the mmo community agreed that fighters are also vampires? Why is it that blood heals a fighter/warrior/beserker?

Solution 1: Instead of healing with blood (vampirism) how about incorporating "Adrenaline". Adrenaline could be the ability to replace the vampiric ability. Instead of healing for a smaller portion, the fighter could mitigate damage (pain) for a short period of time and that mitigation could be equal to the healing of the vampiric ability.

Solution 2: Why not just increase the HP pool size of a fighter so that it doesn’t affect the class fantasy? Is a fighter healing really a good choice? Again, just make their HP pool bigger equivalent to the guesstimated amount of healing done from vampiric blood drinking or whatever. So if the fighter were to heal for 400hp, why not just increase the fighter's hp by around that much? The fighter wouldn't be a tank, it would still be a fighter but slightly more beefy.

Thanks for reading this. The animations look smooth and sick. The leap a bit cheesy, but cool. The exert ability and stances are amazing concepts. Love just about everything except what was mentioned above.

Is it the self healing, or is it the vampire aesthetic that you don't like?

The self healing is fine, lots of mmos have tanks that self heal to a degree. WoW, GW2, EQ2, SWG (with multispecing), Every space game has shield regen, FFXIV, SWTOR, Vanguard. Those are off the top of my head.

It's a self healing fighter that bugs me.
    I mean, this just describes a Paladin to me.

Much rather a Paladin then this. If this is kept, it really needs to be toned down. Or a toggle to turn it off, much like allot of main stream games have done. It's off putting for many.
  • Options
    Well, if not a lifetap, the Fighter could be given a "second wind" ability that has similar results.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    I like the concept, and trust that the team will figure out a creative way to integrate this into a spec.

Just like with every archetype demo not all the abilities shown are going to be available to that archetype for every spec.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    CROW3 wrote: »
    I like the concept, and trust that the team will figure out a creative way to integrate this into a spec.

Just like with every archetype demo not all the abilities shown are going to be available to that archetype for every spec.

thats also true. Remember the giant hammer the fighter used to summon like he was some sort of smiteful paladin? lol im so glad they fixed that one.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    0odx8wkumn3t.gif

Naaah. Replace dumb with ignorant. We don't really know anything about the Game in the truest Sense because it is not even finished yet and logically there is no great Overhaul of the Wiki and all other Scources of Oversight over the World of Verra as a Result.

We could be smarter, Yes - but how if the Game is not even here yet ? :D
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    Naaah. Replace dumb with ignorant. We don't really know anything about the Game in the truest Sense because it is not even finished yet and logically there is no great Overhaul of the Wiki and all other Scources of Oversight over the World of Verra as a Result.
    You should tell Mag that :) he was the one who called us dumb for discussing a topic that we have no final info on (even though that's literally every topic on this forum).
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    Much rather a Paladin then this. If this is kept, it really needs to be toned down. Or a toggle to turn it off, much like allot of main stream games have done. It's off putting for many.
    Paladin typically falls under Cleric, rather than Fighter.
    The many who find it off-putting can pursue a different Fighter Skill branch or use Augments to change the graphics and attributes of the Skills in that branch.
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    You should tell Mag that :) he was the one who called us dumb for discussing a topic that we have no final info on (even though that's literally every topic on this forum).

But this counts for basically every single Topic save a few Topics where the Information is about +70% clear as how it shall be in the finished Product but it is still in Development anyway. ;)
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited April 5
    Aszkalon wrote: »

Tell me that when im the one saying you don't know about the game so assuming it is dumb aka ignorant?

I'll say it again trying to say what is meta pre alpha 2 is one of the worse takes I've ever seen.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Tell me that when im the one saying you don't know about the game so assuming it is dumb aka ignorant?

I'll say it again trying to say what is meta pre alpha 2 is one of the worse takes I've ever seen.
    Then I expect to see you call every poster who's got any question or suggestion ignorant :) You better start on those comments, cause you got hundreds of threads to go through :#
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member

Then I expect to see you call every poster who's got any question or suggestion ignorant :) You better start on those comments, cause you got hundreds of threads to go through :#

Its amazing when people don't look at things in context, even more amazing when you think talking about systems and such is equal to talking about a single skill and trying to call it meta or saying that is the same as asking a question.

Guess its easier to do that and avoid accepting you have a wrong take, I've seen this before on reddit B)
  • Options
    EndowedEndowed Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    They are certainly "death knights" from WOW. strangest design concept ive seen yet in AoC.
    When watching I thought it was absolutely out of context and in bad mmo form for a base warrior.
  • Options
    EndowedEndowed Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    MMO's don't work like that. We all know this, unless you're new. There will be a required spells and abilities for pve and pvp for a class to function.

Well stated. Was a silly/combative take he espoused.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Y'all really got Magged today, huh.

My Fighter is totally a 'vampire', and also a Spellsword, so ofc speaking with absolute selfishness.

She needs it.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Its amazing when people don't look at things in context, even more amazing when you think talking about systems and such is equal to talking about a single skill and trying to call it meta or saying that is the same as asking a question.
    It's amazing when people don't look at skills in context, even more amazing when you think talking about skill balancing and such is equal to being ignorant and trying to call it only a single skill or saying that it's the same as some insignificant system.

A fighter having direct self-sustain means higher survivability of the archetype, which means that other archetypes now either need tools to address that or need enough power to counter that. The suggestions from the OP would've changed that requirement and, in turn, lead to a slightly different skill balance on other archetypes.

Mag you love saying that everyone else but you "doesn't see the big picture" or "doesn't look deep enough into the topic", but time after time you fail to consider all the implications and consequences of the things being discussed. Though I think you do see them, but choose to deny them because it doesn't work with the argumentation strategy that you keep picking.

Or, well, at least I hope you do, cause otherwise I'd just assume that you don't see the depth in other mechanics that you claim to see the depth in.

The metaness of the ability is just the symptom of the underlying design direction. It's surface-lvl stuff, that you've clung onto, because saying "meta doesn't matter cause it's not even A2 yet" is the only argument you could come up with. I've already asked you to get a better, more in-depth, argument, but you seem to have refused that advice. So you do you. I've already tried exiting this convo (which is why I liked your comment), but now I will fully.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Azherae wrote: »
    All day every day :D I get myself into it every damn time and try to get myself out of it by stopping responses and liking the latest reply as an indication of me having read it, but every damn time
    l8shp9d8oy24.gif
  • Options
    All day every day :D I get myself into it every damn time and try to get myself out of it by stopping responses and liking the latest reply as an indication of me having read it, but every damn time
    l8shp9d8oy24.gif

I honestly consider it a good sign for Intrepid, in the long term, though.

We all have things we want from the game that go beyond simple preference and start to touch on core concepts of MMO experiences, and the 'silent majority' seems to have a relatively clear consensus.

We all want to chat about MMOs, to discuss aspects that can probably be hashed out between players, and we usually succeed at that. The fact that we so consistently have this experience where it's just Mag arguing with everyone else, shows me that people can come to agreements or compromises about what they want, and Intrepid just needs to tap into that.

I thank our White Knight Siegfried for his service in this matter.

• Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    It's amazing when people don't look at skills in context, even more amazing when you think talking about skill balancing and such is equal to being ignorant and trying to call it only a single skill or saying that it's the same as some insignificant system.

A fighter having direct self-sustain means higher survivability of the archetype, which means that other archetypes now either need tools to address that or need enough power to counter that. The suggestions from the OP would've changed that requirement and, in turn, lead to a slightly different skill balance on other archetypes.

Mag you love saying that everyone else but you "doesn't see the big picture" or "doesn't look deep enough into the topic", but time after time you fail to consider all the implications and consequences of the things being discussed. Though I think you do see them, but choose to deny them because it doesn't work with the argumentation strategy that you keep picking.

Or, well, at least I hope you do, cause otherwise I'd just assume that you don't see the depth in other mechanics that you claim to see the depth in.

The metaness of the ability is just the symptom of the underlying design direction. It's surface-lvl stuff, that you've clung onto, because saying "meta doesn't matter cause it's not even A2 yet" is the only argument you could come up with. I've already asked you to get a better, more in-depth, argument, but you seem to have refused that advice. So you do you. I've already tried exiting this convo (which is why I liked your comment), but now I will fully.

ITs more amazing when someone says they are talking about skill balance when they have not mentioned anything about it and only have said the entire time the skill is meta. While i have been talking about alpha and nothing being balanced as this is pre alpha 2, which i can reference he saying people do not need to see group pvp because they will get stuck on the idea of balancing the game.

It is even better is when i make direct points and you start to talk about classes need skills to counter it when I've already stated this exist in game currently being a debuff they have shown.

Na i explain things pretty clearly but its not convenient for you to see the skill and listen when there are ways to counter healing already within the game, accept the fact that there is no statement about this being a core skill, accept the fact that as devs have stated you can't upgrade all skills to max meaning you have build variety.

Your argument essentially you are making pre alpha 2 what if the skill is so good you need it. What if the skill is so bad you don't need it, what if the skill in pvp is equal to other skills. We could go with what ifs forever, ill go for the game being balanced and the fact they are doing a trinity system meaning fights main healing is going to come from cleric....surprise.

Making a argument they can't balance a skill that btw also at base has a 45 second CD as if it is main source for sustain that you will take it over other skills we don't even know of yet is inane.

You are just here trying to defend the op when his only main point was he thinks its a vampire because you have one blood skill...and will say anything to try to get that skill removed. It couldn't be any more obvious, and you have somehow warmed the conversation into what is meta in pre alpha 2.... They might need like something in big red words before every steam so people don't miss it about there is not balance within the game yet and they are showing things in flavor...
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    I've given plenty of other points on my reasoning on top of examples but you tend to ignore them and change the direction.....
  • Options
    I've given plenty of other points on my reasoning on top of examples but you tend to ignore them and change the direction.....

We're just not as experienced as you, with these things, so we don't always pick up what you're putting down.

Don't worry about it, as long as you have confidence in your beliefs and Intrepid understands that you're the one with the most real experience here, everything will be fine.

• Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Il try doing this in another post cause I'm getting tired of bloat

blood infusion does not make you a vampire because you have a single skill in relation to it that heals you. With augmentation you could rp more as a "vampire" perhaps based on how they change your skills, and they might change how the skill works together ie fighter / tank making it so you heal a portion of dmg you take instead.

Why blood infusion is not meta in AoC currently

1. Devs have not stated it is a core skill akin to momentum, but one of many skills fighter will have access to.
    2. Devs have stated you can try to spread your skill points but it will be less effective than focusing main skills you want to improve showing there is a clear indication of character builds and not forced to rely on a single skill.
    3. AoC is meant to be a trinity system, that means your heals are going to mainly come from a cleric ( and potentially some from bard and flavors from other classes with cleric augmentation)
    4. Dev have never stated everyone has their own sustain as a staple so there is no augment that strengths the idea fighter has to rely on this skill and all classes will have one they need (though with cleric augmentation is shouldn't be a surprise to see more characters having a sustain)
    5. As stated there is currently already a debuff that reduces healing be it a low level one. It should not be a surprise that as the game progresses there are more ways to counter out healing. So as stated counter already exist in game.
    6. Devs will balance out skills, there shouldn't be a argument this skill will not be balanced, there should not be an expectation it is balanced pre alpha 2. As they have testing and feed back they can adjust the skill and change the way it heals the player as well as capping the amount of heals if it is strong for some reason.
    7. Balance can also include CD, currently it has a 45 CD that is not a reliable point of being sustain. Players and mobs should have ways to counter things besides just debuffs but also cleanses, cc, mobility, other elements.
  • Options

blood infusion does not make you a vampire because you have a single skill in relation to it that heals you. With augmentation you could rp more as a "vampire" perhaps based on how they change your skills, and they might change how the skill works together ie fighter / tank making it so you heal a portion of dmg you take instead.

1. Devs have not stated it is a core skill akin to momentum, but one of many skills fighter will have access to.
    2. Devs have stated you can try to spread your skill points but it will be less effective than focusing main skills you want to improve showing there is a clear indication of character builds and not forced to rely on a single skill.
    3. AoC is meant to be a trinity system, that means your heals are going to mainly come from a cleric ( and potentially some from bard and flavors from other classes with cleric augmentation)
    4. Dev have never stated everyone has their own sustain as a staple so there is no augment that strengths the idea fighter has to rely on this skill and all classes will have one they need (though with cleric augmentation is shouldn't be a surprise to see more characters having a sustain)
    5. As stated there is currently already a debuff that reduces healing be it a low level one. It should not be a surprise that as the game progresses there are more ways to counter out healing. So as stated counter already exist in game.
    6. Devs will balance out skills, there shouldn't be a argument this skill will not be balanced, there should not be an expectation it is balanced pre alpha 2. As they have testing and feed back they can adjust the skill and change the way it heals the player as well as capping the amount of heals if it is strong for some reason.
    7. Balance can also include CD, currently it has a 45 CD that is not a reliable point of being sustain. Players and mobs should have ways to counter things besides just debuffs but also cleanses, cc, mobility, other elements.

[DarkSoulsFont]DESIGN DEFENDED[/DarkSoulsFont]

• Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited April 5

You must be enjoying this -__-

*edit
    Im making sure my points are extra clear for him to respond to
  • Options

You must be enjoying this -__-

*edit

You'd think so, but there's nothing enjoyable about it actually.

I really really want to discuss MMORPGs. I super love MMORPGs.

But we're pre-Alpha-2 in a game that seems to still be at the 'well maybe we shouldn't have Fighters use Wands actually' and you're over here summoning scarecrows faster than NiKr can check his DPS on them.

Honestly, it's pretty miserable.

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Nah, I'm out of that convo. I got the tiniest bit of desire to reply, but then I realized that my reply would just continue the circular argument and I stopped myself :)
    faster than NiKr can check his DPS on them.
    I feel deeply personally offended that you'd think I check my dps on anything :( I either kill or I kill not. There is no dps B)