Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Which Class Will Be Your Main?

Comments

• Options
    Choosing my primary class, rouge, is easy. But the choice of the secondary seems impossible. 
  • Options
    Either A Fighter or Ranger.
  • Options
    I usually go healer first but I'm also interested in bard and tanks. I'll see what class is most interesting and go for it. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    I like to be far away from the fight while still being in it. So Ranger it is!  ;)
  • Options
    I like characters that wield a sword and a healing staff, so hopefully cleric+fighter will be a reasonable combination.
    Otherwise I might go full support with cleric+bard.
  • Options
    It looks like bards are gonna be the more elite members of the community. But i am surprised to see that we don't have a higher count of fighters, as they tend to be most popular amongst starting players. Which suggests that the players of AOC might be already experienced players.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    It looks like bards are gonna be the more elite members of the community. But i am surprised to see that we don't have a higher count of fighters, as they tend to be most popular amongst starting players. Which suggests that the players of AOC might be already experienced players.
    Heh, what would player experience have to do with class choice?
  • Options
    He's probably suggesting that the learning curve for a fighter class, is simpler to grasp for novice players, compared to classes, such as healers, who have to know how to manage their resources, while keeping tabs on a parties health, and making appropriate decisions on who/how/when to heal.  

• Options
    It's a type of mindset to be a healer that some people just don't have the capability to be I find.
  • Options
    Someone keep Nagash from telling  the kids any bedtime stories.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Someone keep Nagash from telling  the kids any bedtime stories.
    Eh, I tried.  He won't listen.  I think he take some kind of perverse joy in leaving small children scarred for life.

That, or he's scouting for potential future "volunteers"....
  • Options
    He's probably suggesting that the learning curve for a fighter class, is simpler to grasp for novice players, compared to classes, such as healers, who have to know how to manage their resources, while keeping tabs on a parties health, and making appropriate decisions on who/how/when to heal.  

Ah okay. Perhaps that's what's he's suggesting though I'm not sure why it's only the fighters he's calling out. haha.

I just had to relook at the 8 classes and the initial descriptions given in the kickstarter to figure out what fighters did.

It looks like they will probably be fulfilling the primary role of DPS along with Rogues, Rangers and mages.

Bards and Clerics fulfill a support Role,

Tanks are well.. tanks...

and I'm not sure where summoners go. DPS?

Of course this is before the secondary classes kick in to to grey out the roles a little more.  
  • Options
    Probably rogue at this point
  • Options
    Impossible to say. I'd need more information and I'd like to try them out first.
  • Options
    Impossible to say. I'd need more information and I'd like to try them out first.
    NO! You must choose now! Your choice here has long lasting consequences that'll be set in stone over the next few years till the game has been launched.

:# 
  • Options
    NO! You must choose now! Your choice here has long lasting consequences that'll be set in stone over the next few years till the game has been launched.

:# 
    Exactly, this forum is a legally binding contract. We will be following up with everyone here to make sure you are playing what you said you would.
  • Options
    It's not that surprising considering the target sample are players backing a game pre-alpha. I'm sure once the game launch, the demographic of fighters will increase.
  • Options
    You think this a game! This is life.
  • Options
    I don't think you can make an assumption as to anyone class being elite.  As a community we are still young and have a long road to travel and discoveries to make and people will take different paths.
    It's not that surprising considering the target sample are players backing a game pre-alpha. I'm sure once the game launch, the demographic of fighters will increase.

In most games the population of fighters aka dps classes out number pure tanks and healers.  They are more versatile and soloable usually.  Lack of  healers and tanks are usually the cause of long waits in queues for dungeons. 

• Options
    nagash said:
    said the undead......
  • Options
    Enrif said:
    nagash said:
    said the undead......
    Fine un-life as well happy now
  • Options
    So far, the split is looking very nice!  Typically need about twice as many healers as tanks, which the interest seems to show might happen.  A nice smattering of all the other classes, too!
  • Options
    @Virtek I'm kind of surprised at the lack of mages and summoners really considering its high fantasy 
  • Options
    I think there will be more mages that polls insinuate. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    nagash said:
    I'm kind of surprised at the lack of mages and summoners really considering its high fantasy 
    I'm enough mage to pass around  ;)

No, seriously, I have this nifty mirror image spell that lets me send out copies of myself. So there will be a few Ghyx mages running around to manipulate the environment for everyone :smiley:

Why do you think one of my forum threads was repeated 9 times yesterday?
    ...... magic, that's why
  • Options
    Ghyx said:
    nagash said:
    I'm kind of surprised at the lack of mages and summoners really considering its high fantasy 
    I'm enough mage to pass around  ;)

No, seriously, I have this nifty mirror image spell that lets me send out copies of myself. So there will be a few Ghyx mages running around to manipulate the environment for everyone :smiley:

Why do you think one of my forum threads was repeated 9 times yesterday?
    ...... magic, that's why
    That sounds alott like that class in guild wars 2 whos name escapes me 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @nagash
    I dunno...looks like there are a good number so far.  The only class that has higher numbers are clerics.  I'm actually more surprised about the low fighter numbers.  There usually exists a large number of people that want a straight-forward melee dps that can absorb a decent amount of damage and don't have to worry about the pressures of tanking:

17% - Cleric
    13% - Summoner
    13% - Mage
    13% - Tank
    12% - Rogue
    11% - Ranger
    9% - Bard
    7% - Fighter

Edit:  Actually....what I'm even MORE curious about...is where the other 5% disappeared to, lol.  Those % only add up to 95%, but the vote count totals the entire 140 that the poll says it collected....

• Options
    Virtek said:
    @nagash
    I dunno...looks like there are a good number so far.  The only class that has higher numbers are clerics.  I'm actually more surprised about the low fighter numbers.  There usually exists a large number of people that want a straight-forward melee dps that can absorb a decent amount of damage and don't have to worry about the pressures of tanking:

17% - Cleric
    13% - Summoner
    13% - Mage
    13% - Tank
    12% - Rogue
    11% - Ranger
    9% - Bard
    7% - Fighter

Edit:  Actually....what I'm even MORE curious about...is where the other 5% disappeared to, lol.  Those % only add up to 95%, but the vote count totals the entire 140 that the poll says it collected....

The last time I looked the mage and summoner were around 6% 
  • Options
    Only 9% Bard? Cool - I can charge more for my songs!
  • Options
    I was trying to decide if I should feel slightly insulted by the idea that I am more prone to playing a fighter because 'Sozia Kill!' is an easier concept then '1. Summon being to protect me. 2. Buff everything. 3. Make sure healer is not afk. 4. I forget what four was for. 5. Hit monster with debuff. 6. Hit monster with fire. etc..."

Then I realized that since I spend a huge amount of time crafting and harvesting and managing inventories that I don't like to muck about when I am fighting. I just want things dead, quickly and without using the parts of my brain that are wondering if the iron market is going up or down.

So yah.
    Sozia Kill