Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How to stop public 'toxic' in game game chat?

Comments

• Options
    @nagash did nothing wrong
  • Options
    The great betrayer and the father of vampires.....
    It does sound a little political, I guess @nagash guilt depends upon perspective. :D
  • Options
    Megs said:
    The great betrayer and the father of vampires.....
    It does sound a little political, I guess @nagash guilt depends upon perspective. :D
    well let's see what I've been up to this week

I Entombed my own brother alive and stole his wife.

Turned said wife into an agony-ridden walking corpse and kept her that way for centuries. The process I used to accomplish this involved tricking her into drinking the blood of her murdered son; who was also my nephew. Sadistically, the trick was based on a mocking promise I would never harm said nephew again.

Usurped Nehekhara's throne; then my reign was responsible for the deaths of at least tens of thousands of people, and I nearly destroyed the kingdom's economy to build my Black Pyramid. (worth it)

Captured the spirits of my enemies and kept them in eternal torment.

Started a war which destroyed many of the Nehekharan cities and killed even more of the population.

Broke the covenant between the Nehekharan gods and their people, not only removing the divine powers of the Nehekharans but ensuring that after death they wouldn't be able to go to their gods and would have to stay in a nether dimension forever.

Indirectly corrupted some of the nobility of Nehekhara, who became the first vampires.

Turned a whole tribe of my followers into ghouls because they annoyed me several times by asking him to give them a promised reward.

I used my loyal vassals as tools in a terrible incantation to make himself a magic set of armour and then, for the only time in any of his fluff, he does something nice for someone besides himself (I compliment them for exceeding his expectations). After complimenting them he devoured their souls anyway.

Started a new war against Nehekhara which cost thousands more lives.

Used a horrible plague spell to annihilate the entire Nehekharan civilization after losing the war against them
    Raised the Nehekharan dead, turning them into millions of undead minions with the idea of annihilating all life in the world.

Almost destroyed the Empire and nearly crippled Sigmar in a duel by using a poisoned blade.

Corrupted the dragon's graveyard and created the zombie dragons.

apart from that I'm a nice guy

• Options
    Quiet week then?
  • Options
    yep so far its been dead quiet
  • Options
    I'm confused. You said this all happened this week but you kept your brother's wife for centuries....

Ah,  I see. The dead have no concept of time. That makes sense.
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    I'm confused. You said this all happened this week but you kept your brother's wife for centuries....

Tell me about it - it's dead confusing!
  • Options
    Karthos said:

She never shuts up nagging so it felt like centuries 
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Karthos said:

As a confirmed lifelong bachelor I'm glad to tell you I can't feel your pain. 

I'm married to the drink.
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    nagash said:
    Karthos said:

So are all elites of our race!
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Karthos said:
    nagash said:
    Karthos said:

So are all elites of our race!
    well mine was a political marriage
  • Options
    Right click person on chat - Block

easy~
  • Options
    I know you feel smart due to your comment, but that is a workaround and not a solution.
  • Options
    I think some things can never be fixed and the behavior of people on the internet is one of those things. Either people will be civil or they won't. In my opinion the thing rhat works the best to combat trolling is for the community to socially ostracize the person misbehaving. Once they no longer have anyone willing to pay them any attention, group with them, or interact with them they will leave, fall in line, or stay quiet.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    FliP said:
    I know you feel smart due to your comment, but that is a workaround and not a solution.
    The word choice of this comment made me giggle
  • Options
    FliP said:
    I know you feel smart due to your comment
    Zastro said:
    best to combat trolling is for the community to socially ostracize the person misbehaving

Sooo would community socially ostracize @FliP now due to his comment?

I'm guessing no. So this is a problem in your offered solution @Zastro. :pensive:
    Community usually doesn't ostracize offenders if they are already a part of group (someone they know). In fact they may come in his defense, even if he didn't use the best words in chat.
  • Options
    Community usually doesn't ostracize offenders if they are already a part of group (someone they know). In fact they may come in his defense, even if he didn't use the best words in chat.
    It's probably best that the worst parts of tribalism exist in video games rather than real life. Humans are competitive by nature so it's better to channel that in non-violent ways.

Personally I look at a person's actions more than words. If I'm grouped with someone who talks a bit of smack but can hold his own and contributes to the guild/clan or whatever, than I don't really care if he might hurt someone's feelings for a moment. If it's constant toxicity that always gets him in trouble and they expect his group to bail him out of his own bullshit then he can get fucked.

Also to any online gamer who WILL be the target of verbal abuse of some sort at any given time, I'm not trying to say your gaming experience isn't suffering. I uninstalled LoL and Overwatch because I got tired of those communities and I consider myself to have a thick skin. There are issues with those games that I won't get into atm so I'll just give a general idea of how I deal with toxic behavior.

If someone starts mocking you it's normal to be angry, but people use that strategy to throw opponents off balance. So after the first insult try to get past that initial anger and do your best to beat them People are going to say stupid things that they probably shouldn't, but you can always mute them. If you can't beat the cyka for talking shit, just accept the loss and move on. That way you can try to figure out how to improve your game for next time rather than lingering on negative emotions. 

It's just not healthy to keep thinking about mean comments made to you over the internet for an extended period of time. Words have meaning but they can't physically harm you. Just mute someone if they are getting under your skin.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Gothix said:
    FliP said:
    I know you feel smart due to your comment
    Zastro said:
    best to combat trolling is for the community to socially ostracize the person misbehaving

Sooo would community socially ostracize @FliP now due to his comment?

I'm guessing no. So this is a problem in your offered solution @Zastro. :pensive:
    I understand what you are saying. But, I think, if the group the person belongs to knows the person is a troll and jerk to everyone and doesn't do anything to try and get the person to act more civil than they are just as much at fault as the person is.
  • Options

My idea -> Everyone who speaks in toxic language will get automaticly the status corrupted and everyone can slay him! Surely with full loot

Think he will think twice what he will write in chat <3

• Options
    Zastro said:

Also perhaps if there are a certain number of the populace that puts the same  person on ignore then that person should be penalized by his chat being automatically muted for everyone.   Perhaps for a certain period of time.  Say a week.  If it happens again then make the penalty longer.  
    I agreed with everything except this. I just foresee it being abused. People could essentially lock down other people's voice even if they weren't being toxic. All you would have to do is get your guild to all /ignore a dude and then he can no longer talk in chat to anyone in the game. Seems too exploitable.
    There is a similar system to this in another MMO, Champions Online, if sufficient numbers of people /spam report you then you end up muted for 15 min.  Ostensibly for use against Chinese gold-sellers, but often would get abused.
  • Options
    philippt8 said:

My idea -> Everyone who speaks in toxic language will get automaticly the status corrupted and everyone can slay him! Surely with full loot

I'd rather not give people the ability to lynch people out of the game. If you want to immerse yourself in a tyrannical society you should petition Intrepid to add this function only to military type nodes. 

I'd sign it and support the idea. It will tell me which cities to avoid or attack :smile:    
  • Options
    philippt8 said:

One word: Baiting.

• Options
    philippt8 said:

Then you need to have a 100% clear definition of toxic language. Some people might just go on a full on rant about their boss and their job in general in guild chat for example, with no one having a problem with it since a lot of people can relate to that.
    Or go on joke rants. I do that all the time and I don't feel like being punished for joking about how much I hate the comic sans font or the JPEG picture format.
  • Options
    In WoW I tried out a new guild and a brought up Vault 7 in a raid while we were waiting for someone. Leader made a raid announcement in all caps NO POLITICS IN CHAT. I let him know I had a problem with that and eventually I was kicked from the guild.

The people who say they value diversity and acceptance are the same ones who silence people for expressing themselves, no matter their race or religion. The same people who complain about toxicity (and this is pretty much anyone I've played with) will engage in toxic behavior themselves.

I don't believe gamers are bad people but the toxicity issue has been blown way out of proportion because people have been trained to put up and shut up IRL so any form of expression is deemed "toxic".

That being said I do believe people should think a bit before speaking but if it's clear they're trolling and trying to be funny I give them some leeway.

It would be nice if people actually opened up and spoke about what's on their minds. 
  • Options
    @GitGud  debate, or sensible heated discussions are great, if they get too drawn out folks can 'take it to whispers'...

The kind of general environment that I'm talking about is the kind where sensible convo or opinions like this cant even get started, because folks get cut down and their parentage sexually insulted the second they dare to open their mouths.

I don't think anyone is talking censorship, what I personally want is a healthy, friendly happy, welcoming environment with clear rules, and some method of enforcement...
    It's the enforcement aspect that we're struggling in it seems. How to enforce it without increasing the workload of moderators

I think the general feeling is that promoting a good environment is, 'lead by example and be welcoming'.

Most folks seem to be for general acceptance with a live and let live 'ignore' button view.

• Options
    How many times have you skipped the rules of the community in amongst all the other T's + C's, to speed straight to the 'accept' button just so as to get in the sodding game?

Skim read at best.
    Is having a segment on community...that is more involved / interactive, more a simple quiz where you have to show you understand what youve read.
    Should you: A treat others with respect. B tell them to perform sexual acts on a babboon?
    And until they pass, they can access the game, but chat functionality is limited for them?
  • Options
    Megs said:

a simple quiz where you have to show you understand what you've read.
    Should you: A treat others with respect. B tell them to perform sexual acts on a babboon?
    And until they pass, they can access the game, but chat functionality is limited for them?

Wouldn't help. People would just answer the "right answers" to get in and then after start behave how they want.
  • Options
    @Megs I agree with using ignore to fix things. Whether it's trash talk or you just don't agree with anything someone is saying it's fine to just ignore. Chat restriction for spamming nonsense in general is fine too.

I'm just bitching a little about the world being boring and to call attention to any sort of authoritarianism. The nihilistic and rotten post modern thinking has killed nearly everything people love about the arts. Including video games.

I have high hopes for this game so if sharing my thoughts helps even a little then that's good enough for me.  We probably have different outlooks but I can tell Steven and his team are tired of the same bullshit I've been seeing that is ruining games.

PS I've havn't been called a monkey whore yet. Thanks I should use that next time I'm being door camped in Rust.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Gothix said:
    Megs said:

a simple quiz where you have to show you understand what you've read.

Wouldn't help. People would just answer the "right answers" to get in and then after start behave how they want.
    Disclaimer first... Im sure everyone is bored of me going on about it now, but I'm being quite affected by my brain damage right now, add in a new medication which according to Thor (man) has changed the way I think. So I believe this makes sense, but I cant be sure :)

Whilst I'm sure that you'd get a few who would just give the expected answers, running a more interactive quiz alongside explanations of why Intrepid would be doing this and what environment Ashes is trying to encourage, I feel strongly would help to influence those who might otherwise be generally positive, but susceptible to 'toxic leakage,' ie: everyone else can/ does speak this way, therefore I will too.

I'm no psychiatrist, but I have a feeling that just making people consciously aware of the affect of speaking without concern for others would be enough to influence at least a few people.

Though it is possible Im just talking complete bollocks. :smiley:

GitGuder said:
    @Megs I agree with using ignore to fix things. Whether it's trash talk or you just don't agree with anything someone is saying it's fine to just ignore. Chat restriction for spamming nonsense in general is fine too.

I'm just bitching a little about the world being boring and to call attention to any sort of authoritarianism. The nihilistic and rotten post modern thinking has killed nearly everything people love about the arts. Including video games.

I have high hopes for this game so if sharing my thoughts helps even a little then that's good enough for me.  We probably have different outlooks but I can tell Steven and his team are tired of the same bullshit I've been seeing that is ruining games.

PS I've havn't been called a monkey whore yet. Thanks I should use that next time I'm being door camped in Rust.
    Yep, the pockets of resistance that are out there are so very wonderful to come across, they are just few and far between. :(
    I wish more people would start learning and thinking rather than automatically reacting and assuming.

Great, now Im going to be ranting about society over breakfast... :no_mouth:
  • Options
    I really do like the idea of voluntary mods. But like anyone that's worked under anyone or had kids around would know, positive reinforcement is needed. Maybe monthly rewards for no toxicity infractions. Could be something like credit towards the cash shop. /shrug