Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How to stop public 'toxic' in game game chat?

Comments

• Options
    What to do against bad behaviour? beat them up until they learned their lession.
  • Options
    Teyloune said:
    What to do against bad behaviour? beat them up until they learned their lession.
    Worked for my parents. I turned out ok.
  • Options
    I have been gaming for a great many years and I agree that the ignore function is a solid choice for handling chat. it can not be the game creators responsibility to police the chat, as then they get the slack from those members. 
    I do, however, wish to see that we can discuss and potentially avoid some things that I found were common in many MMOs that I have played. Muting almost all interactions with general chats or trade chats because of abuse from people is normal for a great deal of people. (Yes! There is a LOT of us, we are just not shouting about it so you do not know how many of us there are!) My ignore list must either be infinite, which does not solve the problem of muting someone every few mins of play, or the chats must not be necessary to be in even when it is just from time to time. It is beyond silly to think that any community, even good ones by MMO standards, are going to be able to stop trolls if the creators do not put a method to do so in place. Toxic chat is perpetuated by silly people that feed trolls, and that will never end. 
    ----------Incoming opinion, please dont base the above message on the following---
    I am not sure how the chats will work in ashes, but if there is a general chat, or server / world chat, I do not think just an ignore feature should be the only method for this. Alone, it has never been enough. Coupled with something, even small, like a moderator or honestly anything almost seems necessary. 
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    Teyloune said:

Hmmm interesting that you think your ok :D
  • Options
    Varkun said:
    Karthos said:
    Teyloune said:

Hmmm interesting that you think your ok :D
    That's nothing a few more beatings with a broom can't fix.
  • Options
    *polite, friendly notice*
    How about we get back to the point and not trivialize abuse?
  • Options
    @Megs now that's how you maintain a thread  ;)
  • Options
    Megs said:
    *polite, friendly notice*
    How about we get back to the point and not trivialize abuse?
    Thats no fun though! Gotta hijack for comic relief :)
  • Options
    What you do is you make a huge dragon that likes to eat trolls if you are found guilty of serious trolling then you become lunch for that dragon with 10 min penalty of some type.
  • Options
    What you do is you make a huge dragon that likes to eat trolls if you are found guilty of serious trolling then you become lunch for that dragon with 10 min penalty of some type.
    I'd say I love it, but some folks would troll just for the experience :smiley:
  • Options
    What if they became troll that players could kill and not get corruption? 
  • Options
    Yeah, that'd work :D
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    Everyone could be allowed 1 post in 3 minutes. After that if you just have to post right away then /roll die 20. If you roll 7-13 you go kos with bounty for 20 minutes and the clock only runs when inside a City. :)

Ah Nagash had that idea, good idea.
  • Options
    I still say, make the Node Chat cost gold to use. I don't want to see it be spammed to begin with oO
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Ziltch said:
    I still say, make the Node Chat cost gold to use. I don't want to see it be spammed to begin with oO
    Fine by me means I would keep my gold, pretty much never bother with zone chat unless it is the answer a question no one else has bothered to respond to. I like to have zone chat on as it is both informative and amusing at times, and when the trolls take it over just have this wonderful ability to just ignore it let the spam roll past and get on with what I am doing.
    But on those very rare times when there is something I find annoying the ignore list gets a run, and if the trolls annoy enough people they will eventually find the game a very lonely place. For me I think an ignore list is the best way to go, though if they are truly offensive then a report feature with a paid moderator needs to be in place.

@Megs sorry for the derail just wanted to throw some levity in there :)
  • Options
    Today I have been told that I come across as a condescending prick and it was implied that I'm someone who doesn't listen to others or interact with them well.
    Because of this I feel like I'm hardly the correct person to take anything any further on this topic. Part of the problem and all :)

I am however happy that were Intrepid to need extra ideas put forward if/when they get around to discussing this issue, that there are a lot of great viewpoints from some very intelligent minds. 
  • Options
    Megs said:
    Today I have been told that I come across as a condescending prick and it was implied that I'm someone who doesn't listen to others or interact with them well.
    Because of this I feel like I'm hardly the correct person to take anything any further on this topic. Part of the problem and all :)

I am however happy that were Intrepid to need extra ideas put forward if/when they get around to discussing this issue, that there are a lot of great viewpoints from some very intelligent minds. 
    I have been told that I am a joke and should go talk to my mom, but yet the same person instantly blocked me on Discord before I could reply to his last statement.

Do not believe what people say about you. What people say about you is most likely what bothers them about themselves.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    No, I admitted that what I said could have been seemed condescending. It was just the prick that I was concerned about

I'd rather not get involved in drama as the stress of it all means I already can't feel my face  :)
    So others might be better placed than I
    Thanks FliP
  • Options
    My judges have the score at Discord Darlings 1 - Forum Fanbois 3. We are entering the last quarter. Will the FF manage to keep their lead over the invading DDers? Find out in tomorrows episode.
  • Options
    Megs said:

Don't worry.
    I have been told the same + that I have no emotions + several other things :hmm:
    'S part of life, if someone doesn't like you now that's their problem isn't it? ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I was told I had no heart. then I said I have lots of hearts there just in a jar on my self 
  • Options
    nagash said:
    I was told I had no heart. then I said I have lots of hearts there just in a jar on my self 
    On yourself? Interesting performance art you're into
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    ribs make great brackets for bookshelf
  • Options
    Anyone watching Orville?

(yesterdays episode)

Will not spoil, but maybe something like that to combat the trolls.  :p

• Options
    Up and down vote systems are trolls playgrounds. If we'd get them, just watch everyone vocal being trolled with infinite downvotes.
  • Options
    I have to solidly agree, the ability to vote would make the trolls drool all over their bridges :/
  • Options
    Some mmorps ban people from communications channel for 3 or more days for unruly behavior.  I think such a system should be in place to make the cummunity more positive than negative.  I believe a positive cummunity would make this game explode and make it a lot more fun. Trolling or being very, very rude (negativity) can have a snow ball effect.  So it could hurt the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Allow players to mute other players (naturally).

Then give us the option to auto-mute anyone who has been muted X times, and the X threshold is up to us to enter in Settings.

Mutes degrade over time each individual mute drops out of the count/tracker after--for example--1 week. 

This way someone who has 100 mutes isn't (effectively) perma-banned.
    [Although that wouldn't make me cry, it's not a good business model for the AoC developers, and is vulnerable to shenanigans.]

Each individual mute disappears after 1 week, so if they just clean up their act, they'll be fine, eventually.

But remember, they're never "banned" they are only auto-muted to people who just don't want to hear it.

This system also counters trolling (a group of bad actors muting--or "downvoting" if that's the system--an innocent player) because they'd have to all get together and do it every day for infinity. It's just not practical.

• Options
    For instance, take a guild that had bad blood with another guild. It will be fairly easy for them to just quickly mute report the enemy guilds leader or officers every time they log in. It's quick and painless.

The enemy guild will either have to remove auto-mode and listen to all the spammers in game or have their guild leader muted.
  • Options
    It depends on the specific persons idea of "toxic". I don't really care what people say, I've been around enough toxic people in real life and gaming to have built up quite the thick skin. But I do understand that some people can't deal with it, for their own reasons and some just don't want to deal with it.

I'm against reports as a whole, for they can be abused. But a client-side mute function should be fine. Relating to the hired Moderators I think Twitch can be a prime example as to why that's a bad idea. Players can't always restrain themselves, such as the Moderators on Twitch. They'll play favorites and mute those they personally dislike, un-mute their friends and so on. A cooldown for global messaging along with a basic word filter should stop most of the childish toxic comments.