Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How to stop public 'toxic' in game game chat?

Comments

• Options
    Voluntary mods is always a strong point to get rid of Toxic swamps  B) 
  • Options
    philippt8 said:

My idea -> Everyone who speaks in toxic language will get automaticly the status corrupted and everyone can slay him! Surely with full loot

Think he will think twice what he will write in chat <3

I approve of this. Nothing is worse than people who make the community toxic, especially via spams in public chat. Equally annoying and ban-deserving is constant shitposting in shout chats. 
  • Options
    Loyheta said:
    I really do like the idea of voluntary mods. But like anyone that's worked under anyone or had kids around would know, positive reinforcement is needed. Maybe monthly rewards for no toxicity infractions. Could be something like credit towards the cash shop. /shrug
    Rewards for good behavior is a nice idea but it might be hard to measure that. People have enough trouble identifying bad behavior. Using certain words constitutes as "****" to some sensitive people out there.

Judging a person's behavior as inherently good or bad can be subjective in some cases, so it's just difficult to begin with. I say reward people for teamwork and good plays.

I JUST WANNA SEE GUD PLAYAAAAASSSS
  • Options
    Rewards for good behavior are nice. However, even this can get abused.

Haters can just flag random messages of yours as bad behavior and I do not believe GMs would monitor each report to make sure it is valid or not. 

It takes just one hater a month to report you and you won't get your rewards. Casual players that do not get involved much have the potential to get rewards every months, but competitive players in the PvP and Node Progressing scene most likely won't get rewards due to said reason.
  • Options
    FliP said:
    Rewards for good behavior are nice. However, even this can get abused.

Haters can just flag random messages of yours as bad behavior and I do not believe GMs would monitor each report to make sure it is valid or not. 

It takes just one hater a month to report you and you won't get your rewards. Casual players that do not get involved much have the potential to get rewards every months, but competitive players in the PvP and Node Progressing scene most likely won't get rewards due to said reason.

Well positive reinforcement would have to be coupled with voluntary mods. And I imagine haters, if they did enough false reports, could have their reporting ability revoked. This is just a rough idea pulled from betwixt my buttcheeks so it is not polished. Voluntary mods would have to take courses on what is acceptable and what is not. Plus it doesn't have to be digital.. it could be on a grading scale. 3 reports vs 35 would be an example. Most disgusting people with bad behavior would rack up a bunch of reports while someone slipping up in party with that one sensitive pug.

GitGuder said:
    Loyheta said:
    I really do like the idea of voluntary mods. But like anyone that's worked under anyone or had kids around would know, positive reinforcement is needed. Maybe monthly rewards for no toxicity infractions. Could be something like credit towards the cash shop. /shrug
    Rewards for good behavior is a nice idea but it might be hard to measure that. People have enough trouble identifying bad behavior. Using certain words constitutes as "****" to some sensitive people out there.

Judging a person's behavior as inherently good or bad can be subjective in some cases, so it's just difficult to begin with. I say reward people for teamwork and good plays.

I JUST WANNA SEE GUD PLAYAAAAASSSS
    Well most mods have a definitive list of unaccepted words. If there is any hope for the gaming community this game won't get political with their words. Hopefully just racist and egregious behavior would be reportable. I'd say that "teamwork and good plays" is just as subjective. A hardcore PVEer or PVPer may see an average player as a burden if they don't meet their arbitrary expectations.
  • Options
    You idea still requires verification, which I can assure you, we will not get.

Would you verify 5000 reports a day? This would not only require a very large amount of volunteers, volunteers would also soon quit their "job". It's simply not happening.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    FliP said:
    You idea still requires verification, which I can assure you, we will not get.

Would you verify 5000 reports a day? This would not only require a very large amount of volunteers, volunteers would also soon quit their "job". It's simply not happening.
    You are assuming a few things: 
    1) this wouldn't be a deterrent for bad behavior and an encouragement for good behavior. Which would directly affect behavior in game and consequently the number of reports to review. 

2) volunteers would be forced to work instead of it being a mode to be done on your own terms. 

3)5000 for one person? Really? Yeah I'm pretty sure there'd be dozens of mods at any given time. Plus you are making a reason for volunteers. How could staff or paid mods cover that without help?

Now I do admit there are many things that could go wrong and would need fixing. I do have many ideas and I'll probably make my own post on it when I get home. 
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I think that this sounds like a really promising way to go, with positive reinforcement, the only people who lose out are the ones who continually decide to assume an open chat style that isn't community friendly....

and remember, we're only taking general public chat here, if someone wants to be abusive in private guild chat, whispers or set up a channel to be as negative as they want, that's fine, just so long as a good environment is the norm and anything else is by choice. Guilds are capable of policing themselves, people we hope can block and if you don't want to hear the (for want of better words)  leet channel, just don't join it.

So I for one am looking forward to reading about your ideas @Loyheta :smile:
  • Options
    Well most mods have a definitive list of unaccepted words. If there is any hope for the gaming community this game won't get political with their words. Hopefully just racist and egregious behavior would be reportable. I'd say that "teamwork and good plays" is just as subjective. A hardcore PVEer or PVPer may see an average player as a burden if they don't meet their arbitrary expectations.
    @Loyheta People are just political by nature because we separate into different camps. We're probably even more political than ever because in the current year your average Joe can study several schools of thought. There are many choices available from 8 to 9 thousand years of recorded history.

I wouldn't say that a person's thoughts are as subjective as their skills at a game. A player's skill is measured through stats, game sense, and communication with teammates. 

Good plays aren't subjective because they produce results, but giving people credit where credit is due can be tricky cause most people only keep track of their own tasks.
  • Options
    @Loyheta Going to add one thing about how I said people being political is natural but this will be in relation to how people will choose to play their games and I'll be using Ashes as an example.

Nodes will have 4 types. Scientific, Economic, Militaristic, and Divine. By deciding which type of node you will reside in (whether you create it or migrate to it) you are choosing what camp is the best to play in with a group of people who feel the same.

In a sense being political means that you are willing to express what you believe to be true. Whether you are right or wrong depends on what happens when you act out those beliefs in the world (real or virtual).

There's nothing toxic about speaking politically, but when it goes beyond words it becomes a shit show. Real toxicity is usurping authority and abusing it for revenge.
  • Options
    @GitGuder by political I mean banning words that hurt feelings. Dishing out bans for making a joke about something instead of a hateful comment. Like saying "that's ****" as opposed to calling someone it.
  • Options
    @Loyheta I don't like harmful politics either :smile:
  • Options
    *starts imagining Node and Guild Wars with Canadians*
    "Sorry!"
    "I'm so sorry I hit you!"
    "I am so so sorry for destroying your house!"
  • Options
    Ziltch said:
    *starts imagining Node and Guild Wars with Canadians*
    "Sorry!"
    "I'm so sorry I hit you!"
    "I am so so sorry for destroying your house!"
    I live in Canada and the way people just bend for anything is annoying. All it does is make people passive aggressive and cold at times. There's no real tension here and it's still a great place to live but there is a price for it.

I'm starting shit and taking names when this game comes out. Canadians saying sorry all the time is western propaganda.
  • Options
    Let us all be honest here. Toxicity is a problem in gaming BUT! Who makes the call on what is going too far and some people get offended easier than others. And what happens when the toxicity police become too heavy handed. Then noone has fun because we feel we are back in grade school again where we are punished for speaking our minds or saying the wrong thing.

We are all adults so be your own keeper and mute those who bother you simple as that. If you are being bothered by someone and you do not mute them then it is no one's fault but your own.

Sorry for being blunt but most people come on here to let off steam and escape life for a bit. Why make more rules for us to follow. 

• Options

People really need to understand that freedom of speech doesn't mean you get to say whatever you want, whenever you want to say it. :)

• Options
    Kratz said:

People really need to understand that freedom of speech doesn't mean you get to say whatever you want, whenever you want to say it. :)

When I was teaching highschool kids about Civics, I'd always point out during our talks involving free speech that you are only protected from persecution by the legal courts, not from the court of public opinion.

Just because you have a right to say something, doesn't mean you are free from consequence by saying it.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Let us all be honest here. Toxicity is a problem in gaming BUT! Who makes the call on what is going too far and some people get offended easier than others. And what happens when the toxicity police become too heavy handed. Then noone has fun because we feel we are back in grade school again where we are punished for speaking our minds or saying the wrong thing.

We are all adults so be your own keeper and mute those who bother you simple as that. If you are being bothered by someone and you do not mute them then it is no one's fault but your own.

Sorry for being blunt but most people come on here to let off steam and escape life for a bit. Why make more rules for us to follow. 

Who makes the call on what goes too far: intrepid.

I generally have no issue with people speaking their minds, if I get upset, that's something for me to work on.... but the environment turns toxic when multiple people start deliberately attempting to upset... 

We are all mature enough here to be aware that a censored tyrannical game is NOT the environment we're looking for, but also we don't want a clique general chat full of dick chat, mindless crap and  pointless spam.

Every mmorpg to date had chat/community rules to follow, as this is a game with the intention of being inclusive to all, you ought be aware that that most past mmos general chat degenerated to a level that was neither enjoyable nor inclusive for a silent majority.i

What is so wrong with chatting whatever you want, and let off steam and enjoy life in guild chat, or on a different channel, with a second more mature, inviting, inclusive chat?
  • Options
    Kratz said:

@Kratz Actually that's exactly what freedom of speech is. All opinions, that you either agree or disagree with, are protected in democratic societies under the law as long as it doesn't incite violence. That includes hate speech.

Just like @Karthos said there are consequences for things you say, but how will people know what you're up to if you don;t express yourself? How will learn without making mistakes?  What people don't seem to realize is that freedom of speech allows you to shape your values and figure out what you actually believe in.

Freedom of speech is corrective speech that is necessary for people to get a grasp of who they are while also allowing others to keep tabs on you.
  • Options
    @GitGuder Not sure why you're directing that at me because I don't disagree with a word you said.
    GitGuder said:
    Kratz said:

long as it doesn't incite violence. That includes hate speech.

Does the latter not fit your definition of "toxic"? If not then there lies the problem with this thread and the task that Intrepid faces. As I've already advocated, mute will be fine, the rest is up to us.  

• Options
    @Kratz I was just explaining why your quote seems flawed to me. You can't stop people from saying or thinking bad things. People will just adjust when they realize their mistakes hopefully.

So the mute function seems good enough for me also.
  • Options
    GitGuder said:
    @Kratz I was just explaining why your quote seems flawed to me. You can't stop people from saying or thinking bad things. People will just adjust when they realize their mistakes hopefully.
    I never said anything about stopping people from saying or thinking bad things. It still doesn't mean people can say whatever they want whenever they want and not face consequences. The meaning was inferred as my post was short. I thought it was clear, my bad. :)
  • Options
    I'm an avid believer in the Ignore feature, especially when it's linked to things such as grouping. In Rift, at launch, we systematically used this feature against ragers as well as loot thieves. These people ended up leaving either the server or the game, depending on their level of frustration. I mean, when nearly an entire server simultaneously puts you on ignore due to your own behavior (with a warning/statement to that effect), it can have repercussions in your gameplay.
  • Options
    I agree the ignore function is probably the best way to self monitor yourself and in turn not add to the toxicity of a server. However; there has to be some sort of report feature. If a report features is placed in game as a one click option its quite easy to abuse, however a portal system where screenshots are submitted is much more time consuming for the reporting party and less likely to be abused, but can be linked to server and character name for reporting/measuring purposes to action. It sounds counter-intuitive to make it harder to report a toxic person but it takes away from the obvious abuse of the system.
  • Options
    @Kratz No worries dude that's why we got a forum to discuss things.

It looks like the general consensus is;
    1) Just mute whoever bothers you.
    2) Temporary chat ban for spam and being too offensive in PUBLIC chats.
    3) Game bans for serious stuff (repeatably breaking TOS, hacking)
    4) Play with people that you have fun with.
  • Options
    Rather see the developers focus on avoiding money farmers in chat, just have a /ignore command and everything will be fine. 
  • Options
    I love toxicity :trollface:
  • Options
    I love toxicity :trollface:
    here have some hellfire plague lord 
  • Options
    lexmax  Mute system works best against toxic players & spam .
  • Options
    GitGuder said:
    @Kratz No worries dude that's why we got a forum to discuss things.

It looks like the general consensus is;
    1) Just mute whoever bothers you.
    2) Temporary chat ban for spam and being too offensive in PUBLIC chats.
    3) Game bans for serious stuff (repeatably breaking TOS, hacking)
    4) Play with people that you have fun with.
    Couldn't agree more :)