Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How to stop public 'toxic' in game game chat?

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Murder on your bones, not my hands.  But I'll support you efforts with heals!
    @Nagash
    I have life steal for a reason but you are welcome to join the hunt 
  • Options
    FliP said:
    https://pasteboard.co/GNoue1m.png

An example of when a publisher actually does something other than reeling in cash. Although, this most likely only happened due to a report, and not monitoring.

I think the customer support responding appropriately to reports is actually the simplest and best way to accomplish proper moderation. Personally I'm against players being able to have too much power in policing other players. Such systems are easily at risk of being exploited - especially if it's visible to the player. And, if you simply just try to punish exploiters... that's just another thing to have to moderate.

Having things working discretely in the background is alright, for example if so many players ignore someone in chat there could be an automatic temporary chat ban and/or flag of that person. This would mainly serve to quickly handle potential gold spammers - as I'm sure tons of players would just automatically ignore them. However, make the number big enough that large guilds can't systematically try to get someone chat banned - or maybe even check if the reporters are all from the same guild.

As for toxic chat it depends on the games terms of service and/or user agreement really. For example FF14 has the policy against "illegal activity" which includes "defamation, harassment, and fraud." They also state that profanity is prohibited, but the game is rated 13+. If someone is reported for these offenses and the situation is handled properly then it still empowers the players to do something about the toxic behavior. Don't need to moderate chat constantly just follow up on player reports and take the cases seriously. Truly toxic people will get slapped on the hand and then they'll cut the crap. 
  • Options
    nagash said:
    I still say killing them is the best way and if they get talking just keep killing 
    So are we suggesting a Troll hunt. :) 
    So have a Troll button. If a person gets x amount of hits he turns into a real Troll and gets hunted dead.

Bajjer said:

I would really like the ignore function in Ashes to be a little more than a list of people who you can no longer hear in chat.

We know that one of the overarching design principles of Ashes is to create a community, something that has seriously eroded in most modern MMOs. I would like to see the ignore function be able to provide some player agency in how this community is overseen:

• No limit to the ignore list
    • Will affect all chat channels – trade, general, private, private messages, mail, etc
    • Will be utilised in the marketplace so people on your ignore list will be prevented from seeing/purchasing your goods
    • Notes or flags added to listings to allow permanent additions
    • Ability to purge ignore list, except for those flagged permanent

I will purge my ignore list on a regular basis (most people deserve a second chance), while keeping particularly egregious people ignored permanently. I think with the added functionality for what is usually a fairly simple feature, the community will self-regulate. All it requires is for people to use it.

Honestly, just by using the ignore list well, you can easily have a pretty drama-free in-game existence.

Some great Ideas :)

Definitely no limit to ignore list is great and purge button.

For market I think inflated price on items you sell is much better than not allowing them to purchase. If a troll get's ignored by a lot of people the person will find them self spending a lot of money. :) 

Crusaders of Light had an interesting system of charging game currency for the main Channel. This kept the main channel from being flooded too much. It was only used in the main channel.  Could make the fee not outrageous so people could chat it in but maybe not spend all day there or suffer the price. People could carry conversations that could be private to a private chat, instead of bogging down the main chat.

Parental Censor password protected function is a must.

Private Channel that could be used by friends to coordinate with each other in game. The ability to create a private channel where people could be invited. Could be a nice way for like minded people to communicate with each other.

• Options
    Dorje said:
    nagash said:
    I still say killing them is the best way and if they get talking just keep killing 
    So are we suggesting a Troll hunt. :) 
    So have a Troll button. If a person gets x amount of hits he turns into a real Troll and gets hunted dead.

I would love to see that happen but it would be easy to abuse I think. Still killing people is just fun so why the hell not 
  • Options
    It was kind of joke :) But still it would be cool. lol
    Chat Trolls that could be turned into real trolls.

• Options
    I wonder if it could become an event like the monster coins?
  • Options
    If it is anything like Vanilla WoW people get punished via cursing or offending people, in Vanilla if you annoy people they just simply wont help you, and Vanilla was hard without groups. Maybe an in game vote like "I enjoyed playing with this player" or "Would not want to play with this player again" etc and give people a social rating out of 5 stars when they Shift Click players names. Then people can see if they want them in their group etc. It will drive people to become friendly and more compassionate. my two won worth
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2017
    Pumba2988 said:
    If it is anything like Vanilla WoW people get punished via cursing or offending people, in Vanilla if you annoy people they just simply wont help you, and Vanilla was hard without groups. Maybe an in game vote like "I enjoyed playing with this player" or "Would not want to play with this player again" etc and give people a social rating out of 5 stars when they Shift Click players names. Then people can see if they want them in their group etc. It will drive people to become friendly and more compassionate. my two won worth
    Cool idea. :)

• Options
    Pooka thinks it's the internet...Pooka doesn't want any sort of censoring. Pooka thinks if you can't handle a couple of fuckheads in a game then maybe you shouldn't play it.  So Pooka would go with the option of "Get some thicker skin".

Pooka has spoken.
  • Options
    Pumba2988 said:
    If this game was like Warframe or Destiny, I'd agree to this, but it isn't. A new player could annoy a "veteran" and as such get themselves a low score after a dungeon, raid etc. Thus killing the game for them because nobody would want to party with a "low social" scored player. The idea as a whole is a no go in my opinion, any form of "social" ranking would ruin the game.

Pooka said:
    Pooka thinks it's the internet...Pooka doesn't want any sort of censoring. Pooka thinks if you can't handle a couple of fuckheads in a game then maybe you shouldn't play it.  So Pooka would go with the option of "Get some thicker skin".

Pooka has spoken.
    I agree completely, but there are always snowflakes.
  • Options
    and minors...
  • Options
    Pooka said:

Pooka has spoken.
    I would love to but all I am is bones 
  • Options
    Megs said:
    and minors...
    Pooka thinks that's the parents fault if minors are subjugated to harsh words because they allow them to play said online games.  Plus, Pooka want to know if you've heard how a lot of these kids speak on coms in games?

nagash said:
    Pooka said:

Pooka has spoken.
    Pooka wants to know if the skin barely still attached counts.
  • Options
    Pooka said:
    Megs said:
    and minors...
    Pooka thinks that's the parents fault if minors are subjugated to harsh words because they allow them to play said online games.  Plus, Pooka want to know if you've heard how a lot of these kids speak on coms in games?

nagash said:
    Pooka said:

Pooka has spoken.
    I would say no
  • Options
    I think there ought to be tips when you log in like.  Help us make a strong cummunity be courteous  and friendly.  That will send a message on what type of cummunity we are trying to build.  Negativity can spawn and group and grow like a cancer.  
  • Options
    Megs said:
    and minors...

nagash said:
    Pooka said:

Pooka has spoken.
  • Options
    Megs said:
    and minors...
    I'm assuming the game will be rated M, so they shouldn't have access, and if they do that's on the parents.
    I think there ought to be tips when you log in like.  Help us make a strong cummunity be courteous  and friendly.  That will send a message on what type of cummunity we are trying to build.  Negativity can spawn and group and grow like a cancer.  
    There will always be negativity, terrible team members can annoy a team leader for example.
  • Options
    Vortigern said:
    Megs said:
    and minors...
    I'm assuming the game will be rated M, so they shouldn't have access, and if they do that's on the parents.
    There will always be negativity, terrible team members can annoy a team leader for example.
    Having a parental password censor lock would still be a good thing to have. But yeah ultimately the responsibility of the parents for having access.
  • Options
    There will be always negativity but if gets punished then people will know how to act.  Really if you could just say anything that you like at work or any other place that has socializing like a party with no consequences then think people would not be so nice.  In some game if yo use foul language you get banned for three days.  More people will be driven from the game that has a bunch of trolls.  Sometimes I would get in a group the the people were so rude without cause that I just left the group and found another one.  

Toxic cummunities will spawn when people go unregulated but just some simple moderation will increase the quality of the game.  There has to be a limit somewhere I guess it is up to IS to decide how much moderation is required.  

• Options
    There will be always negativity but if gets punished then people will know how to act.  Really if you could just say anything that you like at work or any other place that has socializing like a party with no consequences then think people would not be so nice.  In some game if yo use foul language you get banned for three days.  More people will be driven from the game that has a bunch of trolls.  Sometimes I would get in a group the the people were so rude without cause that I just left the group and found another one.  

Toxic cummunities will spawn when people go unregulated but just some simple moderation will increase the quality of the game.  There has to be a limit somewhere I guess it is up to IS to decide how much moderation is required.  

I hate disabling free speech, within reason. Take Blizzard for example, they can ban you from Overwatch for calling your team "shit" or "trash". Now when I was younger, being called "trash" annoyed me and made me strive to be better at whichever game I was playing. But I understand, yet again, that such words can make some people curl up into a ball and cry for a few days.
  • Options
    I think it should be down to the community to police itself, developers only stepping in to police egregious breaking of the rules.

'Toxic' for one person is normal gameplay for another so other than an ignore list I don't really see the need for any other additional mechanics, like for me receiving a bit of competitive shit talking and taunting is all part of the experience however some other people would be rolling around in the foetal position if they were to receive the same treatment.

Vanilla World of Warcraft handled it well, they didn't really do much other than the ignore list, GMs handled some of the worst examples and the wider community did the rest.

Due to the close-knit community on servers and the inability to transfer elsewhere, if you were a massive troll, a ninja or general arsehole then you'd get a bad reputation within the community and people would avoid you like the plague which in turn meant it was practically impossible to find a slot in a raid group.
  • Options
    As much as I like the idea of troll hunting, I feel that multiple temporary ignores by other player accounts could result in temporary restriction of an accounts chat access. This could scale into being banned from public chat through your own repeated offensiveness and lets the community as a whole decide what is acceptable
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    As with all such things its not always about deciding what someone else can or can not do, its about convincing the player to police themselves.
    In game stick and carrot rather than a million rules.
    You normally find when the boot is on the other foot...people swiftly begin to appreciate beneficial and detrimental actions.

Some have already suggested such in this thread and I agree.
    Someone griefing noobs, send all the NPC to perma grief them.
    Game will get tedious when they can do nothing but defend themselves where ever they are, when ever the time, whatever they are in the middle of.

If people want to create a hellish environment for others, then create their very own perfect hell to suffer in.
  • Options
    who is the troll ? is it the player behind the screen or the caracter ?
    its the player, so, first, the action must be against the player and not the caracter.
    so, no ignore to the caracter, its to the whole account.
    The troll button is a good idea, really and I think it could be easy to avoid abuse : all report comming from a same guild count as 1 report only. That reduce the risk of collusion.
    the sentence, must not be automatic, but reviewed by a moderator.
    Using the npc to enforce it is a good idea. nobody like trash talker.
  • Options
    leaders of guilds or people  in a node perform a council. if anyone have any concern about a player being toxic  they can report it to them.
    also would it work if the mods\ Admin on the forums have some sort of power? They can  send Emails to  the Game development on any concern we can wright to them personally here but we need screen shot or proof to Ban some one.     
  • Options
    Report button please. I