Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What these forums devolve into repeatedly.

Comments

• Options
    I agree 100% with the OP

I also feel it works like this

Steven:  Guys, here is only a small portion of the game that we still have numerous months before we even release it to you in an alpha format.   Realize, we are following a traditional Alpha into Beta testing so things will continue to develop. 

Ashes Fans:   Thank you.   Can we have leaks?   Can you tell us more?   Can we have?

Steven:   All in good time.

Random Person Nobody has heard of:     The way Ashes is doing this sucks they need to change.

Ashes Fans:   But we don't know how they are going to do X yet.

Random Person:   But I know that what they are going to sucks.   My infinite number of years in the MMO industry which is exactly 0, my number of years as a project manager on anything more complicated than the mop bucket is 0, I've never had more than $29.74 in my bank account but I know how to tell a guy who's putting MILLIONS of dollars of his own money into the project that what he is doing is going to suck and he should do it my ass backwards way even though I have no empirical data proving anything because I was once rated the #1 Rogue on some WoW Server during Season 1 of Arenas when everyone else I was fighting in the finals all DC'd

Ashes Fans:   Who's this guy?

Random Person:  This game is going to fail because...

Kandy:  Like your life

DarkScarletMage:  Wow, Savage Kandy.  Savage

Kandy:  Whatever

Random Guy:   YOU WILL LISTEN TO ME BECAUSE I'M MAKING UP STATISTICS TO FIT MY ARGUMENT AS I GO AND YOU'VE SAID I CAN SELL SUBS WITH GOLD AND I CAN P2W, AND I CAN BUY MOUNTS, AND I CAN GIVE STEVEN $100,000 AND I CAN HAVE A DRAGON

Unknown System Error:  Here let me try to help you with some examples of why none of what you have heard is true.  ((provides several links and images of proof))

Random Guy:   BUT MY ARGUMENT OF BULLSHIT IS VALID AND I'M GOING TO PROVIDE NO PROOF AND I'M GOING TO SAY THE GAME SHOULD BE FULL LOOT DROP BECAUSE I HAVE MY DADDY'S CREDIT CARD AND I CAN P2W AND YOU WON'T LET ME

Unknown System Error:  Here, let me try to help you with some more examples

Random Guy:   RAAAAAAAGE

Jahlon:   Unknown, who's this guy?

Unknown System Error:   Dude, all you.

Random Guy:   AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

Jahlon:  Dude, go make $30M of your own money and start a gaming company and do these great things.   Here, let me give you a long list of facts and actual statistics not pulled from a unicorns ass.   ((insert way too much text and examples))

Random Guy:   BUT MY ARGUUUUUMENT!!!  <<sickening thud, some squishy noises and then silence>>

[The rest of this story has been redacted to protect the guilty from prosecution in the state of California, the world court, and in the temple of the sandal God.  It does however explain why Jahlon is often missing from the forums and discord for several days and why these people are never heard from again.  You fill in the blanks]

DISCLAIMER:   This has been a satirical work of fiction from the twisted mind of Jahlon.  Jahlon is not sick, calling him sick indicates there is some sort of cure.   Honestly, if you can't figure out that this was a joke, then, well, remember thud, squish, silence.   The painted face you see in the darkness....is me.

• Options
    Just because some of us like the way things are going, QTE, Corruption, etc., doesn't mean we are blindly following along. Just because someone shows up out of the blue and says things are going poorly doesn't mean they are wrong.

It's all opinion. Some of us feel like IS will have lot's of feedback and change during the Alpha's and Beta's. We would like to see their vision before voicing concern. Some, imo, seem to think their opinion is somehow the majority and if IS doesn't do what they say it will fail.

For me, I am here because I have found way more positives from IS and Ashes than I found negatives. Sometimes I think some posters are here with way more negatives than positives, so I wonder why they are here. If something is heading in a direction you don't like, and it's not the only ride in town, why hop on and complain about the way it is going?

I understand honest, critical, feedback.  I have never called someone out as a hater or told them to go find a different game if this one is not their style. However, when I defend IS's viewpoint I often get harassed by the naysayers, "you're blindly following along," "you must have dropped major dollars," "you must be paid by the studio."

No, I just like what they are doing and that's why I am here.

I don't have time to go to places I don't like and complain because it's not the way I would do it.
  • Options
    I think people miss the point about constructive feedback often and confuse it with wishlisting. For one great example, here is the man himself explaining how they plan to weigh peoples feedback. Paraphrasing "If you haven't played or experienced the system, thank you for your input. If you have hands-on experience with it, we are interested in your opinion and will take the aggregate to help us make decisions." Timestamp 44:00
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcOdyuV0tX8
  • Options
    I worry about demagoguery on the forums in this game.

I for one think that everyone wants a great game, yet we all have different opinions about what that looks like. I thought that is what a forum is all about. I see zero reason to not listen to all voices, even those you do not agree with. It takes all kinds to make a community. 

The more opinions the merrier. I do not see the Developers moving too far away from their vision either way. I just wish people could be nicer to each other. 

Then again I'm gonna be a bard/bard main, so I'm a lover not a fighter! 
  • Options
    In all honestly, every game I've been a part of - whether early development, mid development, "alpha release", "beta release", or "permanent beta release" (aka official "we've gone Gold") - has the forums suggesting ideas for improvement, wish lists, cool ideas, new ideas, old ideas, bad ideas, awful ideas, and what are you thinking suggestions...it is not just these forums.  It's every one I've ever read for frankly almost any type of game, MMO or single player game.

I get the humor from the post though because it is true in alot of ways for *any* of the forums I've seen, and yes it is funny :smile:   But at the end of the day, what I've seen mostly happen is the devs implement their vision and the large suggestion box (the forums) becomes mainly feedback for tweekage - rarely is there a dramatic shift from the core concepts they wish to implement, or an entire new system implemented (even if it sounds really cool).

With that said - by all means post away thoughts, ideas, visions, wish lists, etc.  On occasion it does get taken up to the powers that be and implemented when the resources to do so come along.  To save any disappointment or over -expectation....just don't count on it ;)
  • Options
    In my opinion input is important, and it should not be silenced. Now, in the pre-alpha is already very important to voice concerns instead of waiting until the team has moved on to developing a different mechanic. And think everything is alright because they showed the community and they just swallowed it whole without saying anything.

That said. Most times seeing something is not the same as having the Hands-on experience. So people should try to contain their criticism until they can actually test for themselves and feel if they really don't like it or feel that something is missing. I think this has to do with the same reasons why MMORPG is not a big genre with the streaming community it's, most of the time, nowhere near as fun to watch as it is to play. This is a Genre that you have to experience for yourself to know if you like it or not.

Basically Criticism and suggestions are a good thing but If there is too much unfiltered input it will become noise in the background and the good critiques and ideas will just be ignored along with the noise. Too much of anything is a bad thing.
  • Options
    Personally, I put money on Steven's vision. Plain and simple, he seems incredibly driven to get a project, from start to finish completed. Beyond that, while people are certainly allowed their own opinions for the direction of development, it should never impact the game design beyond minor tweaks or truly broken mechanics. 

Those mechanics can only be tested through effective targeted testing both internally, and with their chosen group of testers. Eventually I imagine we will see systems change and evolve, but make no mistake that it will be done so within the confines of the original vision (hopefully). 

Mind you, this is my own opinion. People in the community may or may not have experience within the realm of game development. That obvious statement aside, theorycrafting should be encouraged as long as it truly is just that. 

I am curious what you define as "constructive" criticism @UnknownSystemError. The idea of something being "constructive" is to build upon, or in this case build someone up.

Critical thinking should always be encouraged, but there appears to be little of that within the forums in this regard. I applaud you on your passion for this project, but would recommend you take a look at community members who try to help without insults. Sarcasm is rarely translated well online and often times results in appearing tactless or worse. 

Cheers
  • Options
    Seriously doubt Dev team think about 40 at time of  post is smarter than their entire player base.  Surely you have something to say besides they are doing a great job right? (They are doing a great job by the way) 
  • Options
    I saw this at a news feed too. Found it hilarious then, still funny now😂
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited February 2018
    <rolles eyes> Coming from the guy who likes to miss use quotes to fit his own personal preferences and not want to deal with possible other interpretations of the quote, cause he knows best obviously. I laughed sarcastically.
  • Options
    In all fairness, it appears that the original post was an unveiled jab at a particular group within the community. What is the point though? Serious question, the more I see of the interactions within the so called community, the less interest I hold in it.

I am sure it was meant to be funny, but beyond the tactless qualities, I fail to see much humor. Anyway, I invested in the talent behind the team, experience of the head of the company is rather irrelevant. Look at the head of Visionary Realms, he is a lawyer, and that project looks just as promising. 

One thing that time in the military taught me is that people can always rise to a challenge. That is not to say that we need to blindly trust and not ask questions along the way. Regardless, it is ultimately the development teams vision, not ours. 

Cheers 
    There are a few posters here who consider themselves forum gods, and they like to thump their chest about it. 

That's all this thread was started to do...pump the ego of a guy whop has nothing else going on in his life.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Tomoyuki said:
    @nscheffel I wouldn't take the jab personally @VitaKorp3n does bring up a good point and I will leave it at that. If anything it is in poor taste in my opinion targeting people that isn't over hyped and really doesn't add anything to the discussion of the game.

As for your criticisms on Steven himself I have to argue against your claims that he is "disqualified" for this undertaking. He might not have shit when it comes to "qualifications", but in all honesty I respect any person that is trying to do something out of passion. You should seriously put some thought into what you said, the fact that he is putting his money where his mouth is, is in my opinion praise worthy.

I am surprised that you are still living in the 2007-2015 era thinking that mmo's are a cash cow. I am unsure about others, but I am sure that it is common knowledge that is is a money loser, as the investors seems to believe so if you haven't noticed the recent influx of kickstarter mmo funding. Not trying to be hostile, but I feel like it was a bit too excessive with some of your comments. 

As for your great fears in regards to mega guilds I do offer this advice. Maybe, you should try to open a thread and we can discuss about it. Maybe I am ignorant here, but I was under the impression we can discuss topics in a cordial manner in regards to some of games features which was the purpose of a forum I think. I feel some people (shout out) @McStackerson, @memmi, @Granthor, and even yourself has opinions that I like to reflect while doing my walks for my food.

We all come from multiple mmo backgrounds and so we all have different opinions, but at least we are passionate about the mmorpg genre I think, since we are all are on a forum talking about a game releasing at best 2021?

I don't point out the dev team's lack of success to belittle them. I point it out as a counterpoint to this notion that is essentially, "they know what they are doing, so just shut up and let let them build the game". Truthfully, they DON'T know what they are doing, as evidenced by their complete lack of previously successful large scale PvP games.

There are many things going on with this game that anyone who has played any large scale PvP game can see will cause problems. Duping, mega guilds monopolizing entire nodes/servers, groups of tanks chain stunning combatants, etc, etc. All foreseeable. All avoidable.

All likely to make it in the game unchecked due to comments like the OP.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    nscheffel said:
    There are a few posters here who consider themselves forum gods, and they like to thump their chest about it. 

That's all this thread was started to do...pump the ego of a guy whop has nothing else going on in his life.
    I got that notification. You are mad at me because i posted that quote about the quick time bar aren't you? I didn't mean anything by it, just pointing it out but i realize i probably shouldn't have gotten involved. Whenever i see miss information I instantly think i need try to be useful and post a quote cleaning it up. I'll try to be more cognisant. I'm just another person with an opinion i'd like to share, worth no more then anyone else's.

But on topic, the whole point of them being transparent is to collect feedback.  I can understand the frustration of having people post ideas that seem to go against the games core design but their isn't really a good way to filter opinions. Forums have also felt pretty dead so it's kind of nice to have something to talk about. At the end of the day, If they are going to adopt an idea that hurts the game because of a random post, we are already in trouble. Have a little bit more faith that the team who showed us this cool concept are going to follow it. 
  • Options
    @McStackerson If you hadn’t posted it, I would have. The only way to avoid criticism is to say nothing, do nothing and be nothing. Keep up the good fight. :)
  • Options
    I'm not saying people shouldn't have constructive feedback.

I'm saying its too soon for people to have constructive feedback.  You can't give feedBACK on something you haven't even seen yet.

When I sit down for lunch at a restaurant I don't say "I think that burgers are the best food for lunch so this place should server burgers and this place sucks because they don't serve burgers" when I"m in a Chinese place.   That would be random WTF are you talking about feedback and Mr. Zhang would look at me funny.  

Constructive feedback would be "Mr. Zhang,  the last few times we've come in here the Pepper Steak has been off.  Just wanted you to know"   Or, "Hey Mr. Zhang, you might get more business if you added a few non Chinese menu items to the menu for those people that don't like Chinese"    

I'm going to use the example of full-loot drop (one that has come up more than once)

Coming to a game that has already said they are doing consumable loot drop, but not full loot drop, and saying you think the game should be full loot drop is you expressing your opinion in direct contrast to the developers vision.

You want full loot drop?  Go play Albion.  Go play Crowfall.  Go watch the development of Fractured.   All those games want to go in that direction.

Saying you think the game needs full loot drop is not constructive feedback.  Its a wishlist. 

When we finally get to the part where we can test consumable drop rate that would be the time to say "Its probably too low" or "Its way to high"  and you balance this from both the victims and the robbers.   When all the victims say its too high, and all the robbers say its too low, its probably right.   But when you have victims says "yeah I don't like it, but it should be higher" or the robbers saying "Yeah, I think I'm getting a little too much" that is responsible play-testing.   

• Options
    Why does it matter? Are there constraints to how much we can post before the forum implodes and swallows everyone into a black hole haha I don't understand the controversy. So what if someone posts something? Just ignore it if you don't want to reply and that's it. Most of our posts are meaningless, I doubt that they will change anything as someone else has said. But what harm is there in posting something if there is some chance it might end up improving the game?
  • Options
    Say what you want but last photo is defo better then first one!
  • Options
    Gothix said:
    Say what you want but last photo is defo better then first one!
    That is great. I feel the same. The last photo looks really fun! 
  • Options
    Tomoyuki said:
    @nscheffel I wouldn't take the jab personally @VitaKorp3n does bring up a good point and I will leave it at that. If anything it is in poor taste in my opinion targeting people that isn't over hyped and really doesn't add anything to the discussion of the game.

As for your criticisms on Steven himself I have to argue against your claims that he is "disqualified" for this undertaking. He might not have shit when it comes to "qualifications", but in all honesty I respect any person that is trying to do something out of passion. You should seriously put some thought into what you said, the fact that he is putting his money where his mouth is, is in my opinion praise worthy.

I am surprised that you are still living in the 2007-2015 era thinking that mmo's are a cash cow. I am unsure about others, but I am sure that it is common knowledge that is is a money loser, as the investors seems to believe so if you haven't noticed the recent influx of kickstarter mmo funding. Not trying to be hostile, but I feel like it was a bit too excessive with some of your comments. 

As for your great fears in regards to mega guilds I do offer this advice. Maybe, you should try to open a thread and we can discuss about it. Maybe I am ignorant here, but I was under the impression we can discuss topics in a cordial manner in regards to some of games features which was the purpose of a forum I think. I feel some people (shout out) @McStackerson, @memmi, @Granthor, and even yourself has opinions that I like to reflect while doing my walks for my food.

We all come from multiple mmo backgrounds and so we all have different opinions, but at least we are passionate about the mmorpg genre I think, since we are all are on a forum talking about a game releasing at best 2021?

I don't point out the dev team's lack of success to belittle them. I point it out as a counterpoint to this notion that is essentially, "they know what they are doing, so just shut up and let let them build the game".

There are many things going on with this game that anyone who has played any large scale PvP game can see will obviously cause problems. Duping being untracked, mega guilds monopolizing entire nodes/servers, groups of tanks chain stunning combatants, etc, etc. All foreseeable. All avoidable.

All likely to make it in the game unchecked due to comments like the OP.

• Options
    I, being a forum god, did in fact come here to thump my chest. This thread is the Mount Olympus of the forums.
    Isn't that what online anonymous forums are for?

I think the Alpha and Beta users that offer feedback will prove most viable. Not that other opinions are not, but sometimes they are ahead of what's going on. Why criticize something, or suggest additional things, or suggest removing things, from something that isn't at the point where IS says "hey everyone, try this and let us know."

They didn't open up a forum and ask everyone to define what they think would be best about an MMORPG so they can build that. They started with a vision and want to put forth that vision. Again, not everyone that likes their vision are "swallowing it whole" because "ohhh Ashes." Some of us like what they are doing, and that's why we are here.

In this train of thought, it was very smart of IS to allow non-backers access to the Alphas. I can't confirm that, but assuming the drawings were random I think at least one person would be a non-backer. If not, hopefully they are in the Alpha-1 +.

Thank all of the gods that we never let someone that hasn't proven to be super successful at doing something to do that thing. Can you imagine what this world would be like if we allowed amateurs to do new things without shouting witch!

• Options
    Well this has been an entertaining read that's for sure.
  • Options
    Falmin said:
    Well this has been an entertaining read that's for sure.
    I like how this discussion EVOLVES.
  • Options
    No option but to evolve up for some here.
    Image result for monkey at a keyboard gif
  • Options
    Perhaps the only option for someone who thinks constant is a synonym for "twice" and proceeds to derail a post on a different platform without reading so much as a time stamp.
  • Options
    Sorry, I guess that this one that you started back in May 2017, and then proceeded to comment on for the first 8 of 9 initial posts, then decided to necro this January with a response to a comment from 6 months before doesn't count as a necro.
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/26256/separate-user-client#latest

Or your very first forum gem. Last comment in June 2017, necroed yesterday.
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/26197/pvp-drop-mechanics#latest

But like a serial killer, you now have a taste for it, and when no one shows you the affirmation you desire, the periods between are getting shorter. 6 days before you couldn't try to push your post back up on the list.
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/37966/the-dial-system#latest

And your latest gem that is receiving no love. Could be since they already talked about telegraph abilities in a previous livestream. But why let prior knowledge get in the way of a good mental enema. I give it three more days before you try to kick it back up the Recent Activity list, barring pity posts from those that read about it here.
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/38072/telegraph-abilities-and-hybrid-combat#latest

So lets get a recount. 5 posts. 3 necroed. And one pending. So I will go with constant. Keep banging away at that keyboard. You'll get there eventually.
  • Options
    Sorry, I guess that this one that you started back in May 2017, and then proceeded to comment on for the first 8 of 9 initial posts, then decided to necro this January with a response to a comment from 6 months before doesn't count as a necro.
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/26256/separate-user-client#latest

Or your very first forum gem. Last comment in June 2017, necroed yesterday.
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/26197/pvp-drop-mechanics#latest

But like a serial killer, you now have a taste for it, and when no one shows you the affirmation you desire, the periods between are getting shorter. 6 days before you couldn't try to push your post back up on the list.
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/37966/the-dial-system#latest

And your latest gem that is receiving no love. Could be since they already talked about telegraph abilities in a previous livestream. But why let prior knowledge get in the way of a good mental enema. I give it three more days before you try to kick it back up the Recent Activity list, barring pity posts from those that read about it here.
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/38072/telegraph-abilities-and-hybrid-combat#latest

So lets get a recount. 5 posts. 3 necroed. And one pending. So I will go with constant. Keep banging away at that keyboard. You'll get there eventually.
    You got me, I'll never be able to bring myself to put in such a pitifully pathetic amount of effort to attempt to shame someone who wanted discussions about design/mechanics.

CHEERS!!!

• Options
    TLDR...that's what the forums devolve into mostly
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I wonder why @UnkownSystemError is noteworthy on these forums? Could it be because they pander to the lowest common denominator or project their insecurities on others from their woefully overinflated ego?
    I know, we'll take a poll!
  • Options
    Sussurro said:
    I wonder why @UnkownSystemError is noteworthy on these forums? Could it be because they pander to the lowest common denominator or project their insecurities on others from their woefully overinflated ego?
    I know, we'll take a poll!
    Gonna make a forum post about it?
  • Options
    Could be my interaction over the same amount of time since account creation. 90% of my posts help people with the information they are seeking from what we have been given so far. The other 10% are spent shutting down feckless laggards who decide to post wrong information, post hyperbole about systems they haven't seen or had any interaction with, and those that would rather just be dicks. From your stats you have had a negligible effect on shaping these forums, yet want to act the victim when you are shown to be part of the problem, not the solution. While I have those that hate, I have plenty that support. Just like the CNN ad, when I show you the apple, it doesn't matter how many times you scream BANANA! BANANA! BANANA! Most will see through it and discount your input.
    Related image
This discussion has been closed.