Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What is left of the game for a PvE player?

Comments

• Options
    Holy-Shiv said:
    Hi, me again, ignorant as ever. Quick question. Is this going to be like Albion as it pertains to pvp? Am I going to be out in the wilderness in my T7 gear, harvesting resources, and get ganked by an entire zerg and lose a couple weeks worth of gear and a mount? that got kinda annoying, and i left the game cause i was no longer having fun trying to be a harvester/crafter
    It's not going to be like Albion. That is not even a maybe.
    It is impossible to lose gear and a mount from being ganked by a PvP zerg while you are harvesting.
    If you are killed multiple times, it is theoretically possible for you to accrue a frustratingly high amount of xp debt. The Corruption mechanic is intended to minimize that.
    But, we will have to see how effective the Corruption mechanic will be at achieving that goal. Know way to tell until we play the game.
  • Options
    Dygz said:

I disagree that Corruption is implemented to minimize "open PvP", because there are many paths for engaging in "open PvP" in Ashes: caravans, sieges, guild wars, etc.
    Caravans, guild wars and sieges are PvP, but are not open PvP.

In order for something to be open PvP, it needs to be available all the time, in all places, and against anyone.

Each of the three systems above fulfill exactly zero of the three qualifiers that must all be present to consider them open PvP.

Open PvP is in Ashes in order to provide some risk to otherwise mundane actions. Caravans, sieges and guild wars do not offer this - PvP under corruption rules, however, does.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    Caravans; guild wars and sieges are open PvP. They do not have the Corruption mechanic.
    In Ashes, you can kill people whenever you wish. The distinction is whether or not you are penalized with Corruption for killing non-combatants. Corruption is intended as a PvP restriction.
    Caravans, sieges and guild wars do not have non-combatants so they constitute open PvP in Ashes.

There are quite a few risks to otherwise mundane actions in Ashes - environmental risks as well as risks from NPCs and mobs.
    Caravans, sieges and guild wars provide quite a bit of risk - especially as it pertains to maintaining cities and castles. 

PvP under Corruption rules alters the degree of death penalties per individual death.
    AFAIK, you still get half death penalties for dying while participating Battlegrounds.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Dygz said:
    Caravans; guild wars and sieges are open PvP. They do not have the Corruption mechanic.
    In Ashes, you can kill people whenever you wish. The distinction is whether or not you are penalized with Corruption for killing non-combatants. Corruption is intended as a PvP restriction.
    Caravans, sieges and guild wars do not have non-combatants so they constitute open PvP in Ashes.

Caravans and sieges are 100% opt in PvP. They are the actual - literal - antithesis of open PvP.

Guild wars are arguable, but as you are declaring war on people before actually attacking them - informing them of your intent - it is closer to 100% opt in than it is to open PvP.

I've yet to see a game that has actual unpredictable environmental risk, and have heard nothing at all to suggest Ashes is even planning on offering anything in regards to this.

The notion that mobs will offer actual risk to players is laughable. They may offer some form of challenge to people that refuse to level up their combat class, but the VAST majority of people will do this - and the few that don't should be considered an outlier that Intrepid need not design the game around.
    Dygz said:

It is impossible to lose gear and a mount from being ganked by a PvP zerg while you are harvesting.
    You are forgetting the possibility that the player in question may have corruption them self. If this is the case, losing items is a valid possibility.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Holy-Shiv said:
    Hi, me again, ignorant as ever. Quick question. Is this going to be like Albion as it pertains to pvp? Am I going to be out in the wilderness in my T7 gear, harvesting resources, and get ganked by an entire zerg and lose a couple weeks worth of gear and a mount? that got kinda annoying, and i left the game cause i was no longer having fun trying to be a harvester/crafter
    Ferryman said:
    No it is not going to be anything like that. There wont be full loot, only part loot system which focus to inventory drops. So i guess you could compare Ashes corruption system to Albions yellow zone rules. 
  • Options
    The OP is just a member of a gaming cooperative that spans many games, as he pointed out in a different thread. I'm sensing a bit of entitlement and e-peen which translates into (moral) pressure for the game to be what these guys want. I for one wish to NOT play on the server these guys will be on. I simply hate self entitled no-lifers that believe they own everything and their way is the right way.

The original post is just a proof of this. Well, guess what?! I truly hope this game will not be for you.
    I never plan to attack/fight anyone outside of caravans or seiges; its just not my play style. No one can FORCE me to meaninglessly attack another player simply because the mechanic exists in the game world. Again, its just not a part of my play style.  I get that you refer to the OP, but I feel that you also refer to anyone else that may have similar views on the topic. No, I do not feel entitled that my way is the right way or expect everything to go my way. Yes, I understood that when I chose to back this game. This post is not meant as flame-war fodder; its my opinion, my perspective and how I plan to play the game.
  • Options
    Keth said:
    The OP is just a member of a gaming cooperative that spans many games, as he pointed out in a different thread. I'm sensing a bit of entitlement and e-peen which translates into (moral) pressure for the game to be what these guys want. I for one wish to NOT play on the server these guys will be on. I simply hate self entitled no-lifers that believe they own everything and their way is the right way.

The original post is just a proof of this. Well, guess what?! I truly hope this game will not be for you.
    I never plan to attack/fight anyone outside of caravans or seiges; its just not my play style. No one can FORCE me to meaninglessly attack another player simply because the mechanic exists in the game world. Again, its just not a part of my play style.  I get that you refer to the OP, but I feel that you also refer to anyone else that may have similar views on the topic. No, I do not feel entitled that my way is the right way or expect everything to go my way. Yes, I understood that when I chose to back this game. This post is not meant as flame-war fodder; its my opinion, my perspective and how I plan to play the game.
    This game needs player that don't fight back. Otherwise corruption would never occur.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I appreciate the responses. That definitely alleviates some concerns I've had. 

Will those of us who accrue corruption just be able to head to an allied house or territory, drop all our gear, and allow ourselves to die to lose this corruption? Are there any preventative measures to reduce these exploits?

And if loot can be lost due to corruption, will there not be high tiered raid gear? (similar to albion, where the only gear is craftable and easily replaceable, and nothing is unique).......or will people just not be using their top tier gear when they go out ganking, for fear of losing it due to these corruption deaths.

So maybe there's craftable pvp gear that we can afford to lose, but no one would want to lose raid gear that it took them months to acquire.
  • Options
    Holy-Shiv said:
    I appreciate the responses. That definitely alleviates some concerns I've had. 

Will those of us who accrue corruption just be able to head to an allied house or territory, drop all our gear, and allow ourselves to die to lose this corruption? Are there any preventative measures to reduce these exploits?

And if loot can be lost due to corruption, will there not be high tiered raid gear? (similar to albion, where the only gear is craftable and easily replaceable, and nothing is unique).......or will people just not be using their top tier gear when they go out ganking, for fear of losing it due to these corruption deaths.

So maybe there's craftable pvp gear that we can afford to lose, but no one would want to lose raid gear that it took them months to acquire.

They have to actually grind exp to lose corruption, as it becomes Negative Exp. This will be very difficult if you have accrued a lot of negative Exp as you will be weaker and have to kill weaker mobs.

You will be perma Purple as well, so anyone can walk up and kill you without any penalties and you have a chance of losing equipped items at death if you have a high corruption level.

So you see that this system is so penalizing for PvP'ers that we might see very little, to no ganking in Ashes, because you dont gain anything.  
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Noaani said:
    Caravans and sieges are 100% opt in PvP. They are the actual - literal - antithesis of open PvP.
    Open PvP is unrestricted PvP. Corruption is intended to restrict PvP combat, so in Ashes, open PvP is PvP that does not have the restriction of Corruption - where there are no non-combatants. Especially in the context of consensual and non-consensual PvP combat.
    Noaani said:
    I've yet to see a game that has actual unpredictable environmental risk, and have heard nothing at all to suggest Ashes is even planning on offering anything in regards to this.
    What you have yet to see in other games is always irrelevant to the topic. Ashes is not striving to continue the designs of other games - quite the contrary.

Noaani said:
    The notion that mobs will offer actual risk to players is laughable. They may offer some form of challenge to people that refuse to level up their combat class, but the VAST majority of people will do this - and the few that don't should be considered an outlier that Intrepid need not design the game around.
    What is laughable to you is also irrelevant. Mobs provide actual risk. It is casual risk that casual players are seeking, rather than the hardcore risk of PvP combat.
    Casual risk may be laughable to someone seeking hardcore risk, but that is irrelevant.
    Noaani said:
    You are forgetting the possibility that the player in question may have corruption them self. If this is the case, losing items is a valid possibility.
    I'm not forgetting the possibility. A player character who has Corruption only has Corruption because they chose to kill a non-combatant minding their own business. So, it would be hypocrisy to be upset by getting jumped when minding their own business. That literally is karma.
    If they chose to gain enough Corruption that they lose items - that is a specific choice they made. There is plenty of other stuff to do in the game besides gaining enough Corruption to lose items. That is 100% avoidable in the game. Players cannot force other players to gain that much Corruption without consent.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Holy-Shiv said:

With a Corruption score, players will be permanently red until the Corruption score equals 0. If I were planning to gain Corruption, I would wear gear that I did not mind losing, so I would have gear specifically for that purpose.
    I would not be wearing valuable raid gear while gaining Corruption.
    And I would make sure to only carry resources I wouldn't mind losing.

In Ashes, there is no distinction between pvp gear and pve gear.
  • Options
    Zinnie said:
    So you see that this system is so penalizing for PvP'ers that we might see very little, to no ganking in Ashes, because you dont gain anything.  
    Well you can get resources, so the best targets will be gatherers with fat donkeys. ;)
  • Options
    Players drop resources upon death. 
    My understanding is that we can't loot those dropped resources.
    I'm almost certain that is true for the gear dropped by Corrupted players, but I think that applies to dropped resources as well.

• Options
    Dygz said:
    Players drop resources upon death. 
    My understanding is that we can't loot those dropped resources.
    I'm almost certain that is true for the gear dropped by Corrupted players, but I think that applies to dropped resources as well.

I'm not sure if it's 100% decided but i'm pretty sure you can pick up resources, you drop more resources if you are corrupted. At the same time we previously heard something about backpack types and that might add some limitation to the resources you can pick up. We have not heard much on this and it might not be a thing anymore but an example might be, if you have a mining backpack and you kill a herbalist, you might not be able to carry everything they have because your backpack is made to carry ore.  
  • Options
    If you have a quote for other players picking up dropped resources, please share it.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Dygz said:
    If you have a quote for other players picking up dropped resources, please share it.
    They also use the term drop, not destroyed. When something is dropped, it usually implies it can be picked up.
  • Options
    They used the term drop for Corrupt gear, too, but later clarified destroyed.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Dygz said:
    They used the term drop for Corrupt gear, too, but later clarified destroyed.
    So they have given that clarification for gear but didn't for resources, wouldn't that mean the resources still drop instead of being destroyed?

I wasn't trying to be a dick but i'm also not going to hunt down that quote, it might not be from a video. I know what i've heard but at the same time it sounds like this stuff isn't set in stone yet so i'm not putting too much weight into it. I was just trying to giving you my understanding of the current system.
  • Options
    http://www.mmogames.com/gamearticles/interview-ashes-of-creation-wants-bring-virtual-world-life/ 
    The interview is from a while ago, but Steven did say: 
    "In any case, all this comes to a head via death penalties. A Non-Combatant who dies suffers normal penalties, which includes experience debt, durability loss, as well as dropping a portion of carried raw materials (which can then be looted)."

So yes, dropped resources can be looted.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    The truth is out there. I am going to let everyone go quotehunting on their own for this one. My take on what they have released so far is that it is going to work like this <speculation follows> Gathered and processed resources (ore and bars as just an example) will become lootable from a player corpse on death if you were "tagged" on that player. My percentages are as follows Green 40% Purple 20% Red 100%. This allows there to be a financial incentive to pvp. Nobody is going to want to pay to repair damaged gear if there is no financial incentive.
    Dying while Corrupted: We have the quote that the game considers you a monster once in that state. That is why a green attacking a red won't flag, because you don't flag for pve interactions, and at that point you are just like an actual troll in game. That means that npc guards will attack you when approaching guarded areas just like they would do with a world boss attacking the gates. Are you able to trade with monsters in a game? No. So people who are corrupt won't be able to trade while in that state. And finally at high enough levels there is a chance of gear being destroyed, not dropped. Why? Because this removes yet another exploit of having a "friendly" kill you, get your drop and give it back. This goes with the "cat and mouse" quote we have out there. Want to murderhobo yourself to high enough corruption you worry about your gear, you need to beat feet to the nearest place you can store it to strip down and run around naked. Since most people will need to range outside "their zone" with the flagging exceptions explained so far, then there is a kind of race to get away with your ill gotten goods while red. 
    All of this is out there in quotes if you look hard enough. The percentages are just made up. And the final clarification of dropped gear that is lootable vs destroyed is still needed. The quote uses both in the same line.
  • Options
    few loonies out the wood works today with thinking this game is now all of a sudden PVP based lmao

There is a Strict and Punishing system for Griefers via Corruption which will inflict harsh debuffs on players who grief other players. ya you may get griefed every now and then but there wont be anyone corpse camping or graveyard camping you like on wow pvp servers back in vanilla and even into today.

This game will be far more pve based than most MMORPGS out there, The world will LITERALLY react to your PVE choices, sooooo like i said the loonies are out in full force on this subject of pvp.

i may seem rude to you for that i apologize but this is the truth and i will defend the game against ppl who dont know what they are talking about.
  • Options
    We have the quote that the game considers you a monster once in that state. 
    This is the part that interests me, and I do have to wonder how far they will take it.

Monsters can't participate in chat channels.
    Monsters can't progress quests.
    Monsters can't progress nodes.
    Monsters can't participate in sieges.
    Monsters can't group up with players.

I don't expect most (or necessarily any) of the above to hold true, but it is an interesting idea - to me.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    McStackerson said:
    I wasn't trying to be a dick but i'm also not going to hunt down that quote, it might not be from a video. I know what i've heard but at the same time it sounds like this stuff isn't set in stone yet so i'm not putting too much weight into it. I was just trying to giving you my understanding of the current system.
    I didn't think you were trying to be a dick.
    We are both trying to recall what we've heard and what the devs meant.

IIRC, the clarification about Corrupted gear dropping was in direct response to a question/complaint about Corrupted players having the penalty of their gear being looted.
    Steven answered the question asked and did not necessarily expand on resources Since resources weren't part of the question.
    So, I'm not assuming that dropped resources can be looted and I'm not assuming that dropped resources can't be dropped.

If the clarification Zastro included in parentheses is actually stated in the link provided, great!
    (Thanks, Zastro!)
  • Options
    Noaani said:
    ... Monsters can't group up with players...

I hadn't thought about that… That the corrupted can still potentially form groups.

You get enough murder-hobos together, and it doesn’t matter how weakened they are individually. Couple that with support for multi-boxing, and it could well get ugly. It’s the classic scenario: Would you rather fight one horse-sized duck or would you rather fight one hundred duck-sized horses.

• Options
    Wayfaring said:

Couple that with support for multi-boxing, and it could well get ugly.
    Multi-boxing doesn't work well in PvP.

We have no real notion of how corruption will work in a group setting. I do remember one quote in regards to PvP flagging and groups, but I don't believe it was specific about corruption.

However, if someone that was playing a class with strong AoE came across a group of players with high corruption, I'd imagine that strong AoE class could make very short work of them - potentially even one shotting the entire group if their corruption is high enough.

That post of mine was more about the fact that there may be other negatives to having corruption that we don't yet know about.
  • Options
    Plenty.
  • Options
    Zastro said:
    http://www.mmogames.com/gamearticles/interview-ashes-of-creation-wants-bring-virtual-world-life/ 
    The interview is from a while ago, but Steven did say: 
    "In any case, all this comes to a head via death penalties. A Non-Combatant who dies suffers normal penalties, which includes experience debt, durability loss, as well as dropping a portion of carried raw materials (which can then be looted)."

So yes, dropped resources can be looted.
    If there would not be lootable resources then open world PvP would not happen at all, because there is zero reason to attack other people.
  • Options
    Hahahaha!
    If that's truly the case, we won't have to worry about PvP because lootable resources don't have much value.
    The primary value of dropped resources is blocking the progress of your rival(s), but...
    OK.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    Hahahaha!
    If that's truly the case, we won't have to worry about PvP because lootable resources don't have much value.
    The primary value of dropped resources is blocking the progress of your rival(s), but...
    OK.
    And where you base your argument that resources does not have much value? Of course some high level resources will be extremely valueable even some low levels would not.

I dont think you truely understand playerkiller mindset. In most cases it is about invidual benefit over larger good. You cant really think that people would like to kill other players just because then they can block their progress. Oh my.. 
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    Hahahaha!
    OK.
    Since we know that the best items in the game will require a combination of crafting and dropped items, it is reasonable to assume bosses will drop specific raw resources used to craft the best items in the game.

That means if a player has one of these items on them and is killed, there is a chance that this player could drop that item, which is akin to dropping one of the best items in the game even though at this stage it is only a raw resource.

If a group of PK'ers set up outside a dungeon, killing everyone that came out, they could do quite well for themselves. Add to this the fact that most players will flag up in order to protect the resources they just obtained, and it could even be that these PK'ers won't get much in the way of corruption for doing this.
This discussion has been closed.