Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What is left of the game for a PvE player?

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018

Like I told the girlfriend, if you touch it, it gets bigger. Having problems reading the quote? Click on it.
  • Options

Ah cool, that kills my issue with it.

Though now the attackers of the caravan are left with resources in a node where those resources are likely of little use - hence the reason they were being moved.

This is a different version of the same situation I was talking about in regards to players that take over a node having to take those resources to somewhere they can make use of them - the only difference is that time is not an immediate factor.

I mean, it is obviously possible that you will be able to make use of those resources at that node, but the odds are against it.

It just adds another consideration factor to the whole caravan attacking system.

• Options
    Right. What is the primary objective of attacking caravans?
    Often the objective will be to prevent the resources from arriving at strategic locations rather than looting resources for personal use (beyond sale value).
    Looters probably won't need caravan resources in bulk - keep what is needed for personal use and sell the rest.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    ^This would imply that having a friend gank your caravan and turning in a Writ would just reduce the number of resources, and put you back at the beginning. I don't think that would be a common thing.

Thanks for the quote @Dygz

This also means that those that raided the caravan have to transport their goods to a different (likely home) node. So there is a chance at recovering an even smaller portion. This makes sense to me.
  • Options
    50/50 pve drives pvp content how are people still not getting this? 
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    EXP has to be NOT easy to get. Karma is only erased with an exp loss, or "Debt" as Steve has called it. Dying should result in a loss of exp. Thus being one way to burn off karma. 

Can't wait to gank your caravan!
    -CS
    Well, Ashes doesn't have XP loss, just xp debt.
    And...the Corruption system does not apply to caravans.
    I did call it "debt". Whether that translates to the loss of an unspecified future amount of exp or the loss of past gained exp, I'm not sure why you pointed that out like I didn't say that. Also, I never said that the corruption system does apply to caravans, that doesn't mean I can't or wont attack them.

It feels like you had a problem with what I said, but then concurred with the parts you quoted.

Other people seemed to have ignored the main point of my post, and focused on the last part where I infused some RL advice. Keep in mind, at no point was that meant to be an insult to anyone. Nor am I calling anyone names by describing behavior. 

Although if you were offended it's likely because.......ahh... nevermind.

-CS
  • Options
    1. I expect ganking.  Lots of ganking.  We should all accept that, and be willing to engage.
    2. I also expect a system that will deter casual, 'I was spotted on a road and was killed for the lulz' ganking.
    3. I expect ganking to occur on traders and people walking out of caves with their pockets full on Mithril.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    You seem to be the one who is offended.
    XP loss and XP debt are significantly different. So, I want newbies who read this topic to clearly understand that Ashes does not have XP loss.
    Because I probably would not play a game with XP loss.

And, you can't really gank a caravan.

So, yeah, I cleared up misrepresentations of the game design but didn't necessarily have an issue with your overall post.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    EXP has to be NOT easy to get. Karma is only erased with an exp loss, or "Debt" as Steve has called it. Dying should result in a loss of exp. Thus being one way to burn off karma. 

-CS
    I did call it "debt". Whether that translates to the loss of an unspecified future amount of exp or the loss of past gained exp, I'm not sure why you pointed that out like I didn't say that. Also, I never said that the corruption system does apply to caravans, that doesn't mean I can't or wont attack them.

It feels like you had a problem with what I said, but then concurred with the parts you quoted.

Other people seemed to have ignored the main point of my post, and focused on the last part where I infused some RL advice. Keep in mind, at no point was that meant to be an insult to anyone. Nor am I calling anyone names by describing behavior. 

-CS
    Dear, @ChuckSteak

In regards to the first half of your previous post, you are certainly entitled to your opinion on how game mechanics may work (or not), and how you feel about them, as a player.  If there's one thing these forums are not short on, it's opinions, lol. 

But, it's the second half of that same post that has drawn some ire.  Expressing your opinion about potential gameplay is one thing.  Expressing your opinion about how people should/would/could live their lives, as RL advice, is another.  Though you may not have intended any insult, that kind of stuff can usually rub people the wrong way, and make the poster sound sanctimonious.  Just some friendly perspective, friend.  :)
  • Options
    Get a room you two.  Better yet, use my Tavern guest room.  500g for 2 hours, no question asked.
  • Options
    Get a room you two.  Better yet, use my Tavern guest room.  500g for 2 hours, no question asked.
    here's 1000 gold if you hear any screaming its just a banshee
  • Options
    Dygz said:

-CS

-CS
    Welcome to the AOC forums. Dygz is a known merchant of circular and bad faith arguments. Watching him talk about PVP on that stream with Steven was no different from watching a virgin wax on and on about BDSM, and that should tell you about whether you should continue to bother. 
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Davlos said:
    Dygz said:

-CS

-CS
    Welcome to the AOC forums. Dygz is a known merchant of circular and bad faith arguments. Watching him talk about PVP on that stream with Steven was no different from watching a virgin wax on and on about BDSM, and that should tell you about whether you should continue to bother. 
    That's a really odd analogy you made, did you given it much thought  :*
  • Options
    Interesting.
    I spoke with Steven about Ashes game design. 
    At some point, I spoke about PvP combat in the Ashes game design specifically.
    As far as I could tell -and others should feel free to weigh in if they wish- Steven appeared to agree with my assessment of the PvP combat in Ashes. He did not say, "Nope. Clearly you know nothing about PvP combat."

Also, interesting that you equate me with a virgin, even though I am a casual PvPer.
    Might be closer to a lesbian discussing BDSM differently than a straight person would, but...
    I am no virgin to PvP combat.

Anyways... I'm gonna check to see if there is some pertinent point to return this thread to...
  • Options
    Where is this thread going next!?!
  • Options
    Wherever the caravan takes us!!!
  • Options
    I have no hate for you Dygz - but I also like to follow the crowd so....
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    Interesting.
    I spoke with Steven about Ashes game design. 
    At some point, I spoke about PvP combat in the Ashes game design specifically.
    As far as I could tell -and others should feel free to weigh in if they wish- Steven appeared to agree with my assessment of the PvP combat in Ashes. He did not say, "Nope. Clearly you know nothing about PvP combat."
    It was obvious enough to anyone with decent knowledge of how PVP works in MMOs, when you chose to describe Eve as a "murderbox". Spend a week in that game and any casual player would've understood that is not the case. If you couldn't even get that basic piece of information right, then the entire body of your knowledge is suspect.

You may describe yourself as "no virgin to PVP", yet - to borrow from Brendan Behan - you're still the proverbial eunuch in a harem. You think you know how it's done, you see it done everyday, but you're incapable of doing it. You're a carebear who has openly expressed disdain for PVP and the moral character of those who engage in it. Why do you think you have any right to continue gabbing about it and mislead new readers of this forum - intentionally or not?
  • Options
    Davlos said:
    You're a carebear who has openly expressed disdain for PVP and the moral character of those who engage in it. 
    What gets me about him is the fact that he is all up in arms about how it is unfair if a player is able to kill another player in PvP combat and *only* take a penalty via corruption, and the poor player that was PvP'd against stands to lose the time they spent harvesting...

Yet somehow he seems fine with attempting to destroy weeks or even months of progress of potentially dozens of people via destroying a node - for the sole reason of trying to get said nodes architecture changed.

In my mind, that is blatant hypocrisy which I personally consider to be the single worst trait a human can have. Combined with the way he tried to talk down to Steven in regards to PvP during the livestream, and he has become the only person I have ever ignored on *any* forum - even though doing that here took some actual effort.

The forums have been much more pleasant since.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    50 % of the game is left for pve players :)  Please read up on stuff and watch the live streams before posting stuff like this :) 
  • Options
    BCGiant said:
    50 % of the game is left for pve players :)  Please read up on stuff and watch the live streams before posting stuff like this :) 
    I think it passed the point for the voice of reason, Thanks for trying tho ^^ 
  • Options
    Lateana said:
    I backed this game because it promised to be PvE friendly.  Now it appears that the direction of the game is total PvP.
    lolololol
    Actualy the game is much more PvE friendly so far than PvP friendly....
  • Options
    nagash said:
    BCGiant said:
    Well we have to try :) cant let them trolls rule supreme :P
  • Options
    BCGiant said:
    nagash said:
    BCGiant said:
    Well we have to try :) cant let them trolls rule supreme :P
    Damm right ^^
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I "talked down to Steven".
    bwahahahaha
    LMFAO

I haven't said anything like "solely to get architecture changed."
    But, can't change the minds of people entrenched in their own bias.

PvP combat in battlegrounds is fair play.
    Sieges are fair play.
    Griefing by killing greens via non-consensual PvP combat will be punished with Corruption.
    No hypocrisy there. Those are the facts of the game design.

I don't know whether Eve is a murderbox.
    I asked Steven what he considers a murderbox.
    Murderbox is not my term so I don't know which games are considered to be murderboxes.
    Maybe Shadowbane?
    Eve is too PvP-centric for me.

I am not "all up in arms" about any of the PvP combat in Ashes.
    If I get griefed to often, I simply will stop playing Ashes.
    If PvP combat in Ashes is similar to Eve, I'm pretty sure I won't be playing Ashes.
    Same for ArcheAge.
    And that will be fine with me...and everyone else.
    Don't play games you don't like.
  • Options
    I am also concerned about the PvE being overshadowed by the PvP.

But luckily many of these comments have alleviated my concerns due to the harsh penalties of killing without reason.

I don't mind PvP, I mind gank squad PK-ers and the inevitable 10-16 year olds who think this is PUBG and will camp the entrance to a cave so they can kill you for the lulz.
  • Options
    I am also concerned about the PvE being overshadowed by the PvP.

But luckily many of these comments have alleviated my concerns due to the harsh penalties of killing without reason.

I don't mind PvP, I mind gank squad PK-ers and the inevitable 10-16 year olds who think this is PUBG and will camp the entrance to a cave so they can kill you for the lulz.
    I tend to wait until your further in to catch ya off guard. 
  • Options
    All this but no one has asked this question, that I know of anyhow.

If I am in a group and another comes in to pvp. I am green and do not fight back but the others do. Will it place me into pvp mode or keep me green?
  • Options
    All this but no one has asked this question, that I know of anyhow.

If I am in a group and another comes in to pvp. I am green and do not fight back but the others do. Will it place me into pvp mode or keep me green?
    I'm going to guess that the scenario you're asking about is one where you are part of a party, and that party gets attacked by another player.  The members of your party engage in combat, thus flagging them for pvp.  You do not.  Will your being part of group, flagged for pvp, flag you too, if you stay non-combative?  I'm going to say no,

I don't think Intrepid wants a situation where the choice for pvp'ing is taken out of an individual players hands.  So, if you decide to stand down, while your group fights, you should remain "green".

Unless, there's information to the contrary.
  • Options
    @freespiryt Yep, they went over group flagging in a livestream. As long as you don't heal or attack someone who is a combatant you will stay green. If you do anything that would help those in your party that are flagged, you will become flagged. You have to force target someone to flag also, so someone just running through your aoe will not be damaged/healed until you have used a targeted ability on them. Attacking someone who is "red" will not flag you. "Red" characters are considered monsters by the system and don't cause you to flag for pvp.

<Speculation not confirmed> Since they are "monsters" to the system, you will not be able to heal corrupted characters either, just like you can't heal mobs. Games in the past that allowed healing of monsters found out that people love to grief others by healing their mobs and causing them to wipe. Haven't seen that mechanic in a game in a good long while. Until they state either way though, it is unknown.
This discussion has been closed.