Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What is left of the game for a PvE player?

Comments

• Options
    I can sympathise with the OP and other players who just want to do their thing in the game without interference from other players...but this is a very one-sided perspective...

We always talk about PvPers interfering with PvE'ers but we need to acknowledge that PvE'ers affect other people's experience whenever we/they use a limited resource (natural resources, non-instanced real estate, trade routes with diminishing returns on turn-ins) or systems like the marketplace. In extreme cases PvEers can outright ruin another player's day (of course it depends on how systems are implemented but I'm sure many of you have seen cases first hand in other games).

Basically, I think it's worth asking the question: is it really fair to ask to not be affected by PvP at all but be allowed to affect PvP players' experiences through PvE? I lean towards saying it doesn't feel quite fair - let both play styles impact on each other as long as it's not extreme.

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2018
    I have never, in 19 years of playing MMORPGs, experienced a PvEer ruining my gameplay session.
    Closest, I suppose, would be players a running trains.
    I have heard of players in archaic MMORPGs using collision to trapping people by blocking doors.
    But that has not been possible in most games of the last decade.

The notion that bypassing player capitalism can be considered griefing is patently absurd.

Also, I have not seen anyone in these forums ask or suggest to "not be affected by PvP combat."
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I've seen people complain that pve ruined their pvp game by requiring leveling and gearing... they just wanted to pvp immediately with all their abilities. I thought it was hilarious/dumb and thought "why don't you just go play a pvp exclusive game instead of a pvx or generic mmo with both?" 
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    I have never, in 19 years of playing MMORPGs, experienced a PvEer ruining my gameplay session.
    Closest, I suppose, would be players a running trains.
    I have heard of players in archaic MMORPGs using collision to trapping people by blocking doors.
    But that has not been possible in most games of the last decade.

The notion that bypassing player capitalism can be considered griefing is patently absurd.

Also, I have not seen anyone in these forums ask or suggest to "not be affected by PvP combat."
    I'm sure I've seen posts where people talk about non-consensual PvP: i.e. not wanting to be part of PvP at all if they don't want to be.

My point is not that PvE is griefing, or to equate physical PvE trolling tactics with griefing, but rather that normal PvE activities don't happen in a bubble and do affect other players in indirect ways, typically economically. To that end, I'm simply posing the thought that if PvE can affect the experience of everyone else then it's not unreasonable to allow PvP to affect everyone as well. 

The PvE impact doesn't have to be so extreme as to ruin someone's day. It could be purchasing a house someone else wanted, using a trade route at a particular time of day thereby reducing that route's return for other players afterwards, grinding rare mobs in one spot for hours, or harvesting all the resources of a node. All of these could prevent someone else doing the same thing. Sure, all of these are part of the free market model in-game, but my point is they still affect the experience of other players, often causing some negative emotion or inconvenience. So I'd rather have the free market system with all its ups and downs and the PvP system with all its ups and downs apply to everyone. 

I think the reason we focus on how PvP affects players is because it's so direct; we see the impact instantly, whereas PvE works its way through in-game systems and its effects propagate after time where we can't trace the results back to the actions of individuals, so we accept the effects as part of the game systems.

Anyway, it's a nascent thought so I'm trying to flesh it out in my head as we go along.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Excluding non-consensual PvP combat does not exclude consensual PvP combat.

• Options
    While it might not be obvious and maybe sound ridiculous, there are ways for a PvE player to ruin a PvP players experience.

Before I go on explaining it, I'd just like to mention what PvPers do to ruin a PvEers day - they might get killed non-consenually. That's 1 thing.

Now, what can PvEers do to annoy PvPers?
    - Stand in the way of a fight, or even worse, multiple people standing in the middle of a fight, potentially causing lag
    - in Faction vs Faction types of battles, ungeared and unexperienced PvEers ruining a Factions statistics by getting killed over and over, leave it to the professionals

That's 2 things.

I won't go on about PvEers depleting open world resources and similar activities, as that is a PvE thing. If a PvPer would want to do such things, he is doing PvE at that moment.

My points are strictly considering when a player only wants to do a specific type of action at a time, eg. PvPers want to kill people and not get disturbed, or PvEers want to gather stuff and not get killed.

I am on neither side, as I enjoy both sorts of activities. I enjoy PvP as much as doing dungeon raids or craft my own gear (if it is beneficial to do so).

Also, it is not right to criticize either playstyle, as both work together.
    PvEers gather stuff and craft things that PvPers will buy and use.

• Options
    I think that IS is 100% aware of our concerns as they seem to touch upon this issue quite frequently.

PvE will build the world (which means they must have enough protections to do so) while PvP will destroy it (which means there must be convenient enough mechanics for this to happen)

I think Ashes will be well balanced and will even encourage player to expand their horizons.  For example I like  love dungeon boss raids, but I'm thinking I might become a Caravan pirate, a low risk, high reward happy fun time thing.
  • Options
    FliP said:
    While it might not be obvious and maybe sound ridiculous, there are ways for a PvE player to ruin a PvP players experience.

Before I go on explaining it, I'd just like to mention what PvPers do to ruin a PvEers day - they might get killed non-consenually. That's 1 thing.

Now, what can PvEers do to annoy PvPers?
    - Stand in the way of a fight, or even worse, multiple people standing in the middle of a fight, potentially causing lag
    - in Faction vs Faction types of battles, ungeared and unexperienced PvEers ruining a Factions statistics by getting killed over and over, leave it to the professionals

That's 2 things.

I won't go on about PvEers depleting open world resources and similar activities, as that is a PvE thing. If a PvPer would want to do such things, he is doing PvE at that moment.

My points are strictly considering when a player only wants to do a specific type of action at a time, eg. PvPers want to kill people and not get disturbed, or PvEers want to gather stuff and not get killed.

I am on neither side, as I enjoy both sorts of activities. I enjoy PvP as much as doing dungeon raids or craft my own gear (if it is beneficial to do so).

Also, it is not right to criticize either playstyle, as both work together.
    PvEers gather stuff and craft things that PvPers will buy and use.

It's perfectly fine to criticize non-consensual PvP combat.
    Annoying is not necessarily the same thing as griefing.
    People are not forced to keep poorly geared people in a group nor inexperienced people. That is a consensual choice.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    It's also a consensual choice to play a game where you can be attacked at any time. 

And on the topic of things that have been done to me in a non-pvp environment, i have had players tag mobs and steal resources I was going for. I always play melee so this happens to me a lot. I'll be running up to a mob, about to hit it, and someone, usually a range class, will steal it. Sometimes this is because there aren't a lot of mobs but there are those times they had options and they chose to be rude. The best is when a resource, chest, or quest object is being guarded by the mob and while i'm fighting the mob, a player comes up and takes it. 
  • Options
    What is left for players after PvP?

free bodies ^^
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @McStackerson
    Um. No.
    What you mean is playing a game with non-consensual PvP combat is a choice.
    Which everyone agrees with.
    What has been stated in these forums is that those of us who abhor non-consensual PvP combat will not be playing Ashes if non-consensual PvP combat is too prevalent in Ashes of Creation.

Which is not at all the same thing as not wanting to be impacted by consensual PvP combat.

Tagging mobs is a game design issue; not a player issue.
    Although, it also could be an entitlement issue.
    But, really that is about the devs not providing an adequate amount of resources in their game.
  • Options
    Oh this thread turned totally upside down and PvP players are now the victims.. xD

If people are ruining other players day via PvE, it will effect the entire playerbase regardless is that player PvP or PvE orinted. Most likely those ruining actions are harming more other PvE players, because their focus is in PvE stuff. 

But what it comes to open world PvP and ganking, then PvE oriented players suffers more, because they want to avoid this kind of behaviour, because it will ruin their gaming experience. To OWPvP oriented players open world PvP is something they are ready to face in good or bad. They enjoy the fights and winning from underdog position feels always really good and satisfied. 
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I just want people to understand there cannot be meaningful PvP without PvE and the same goes for high-level PvE. You need PvP to build your nodes faster and better than your rivals. Its a give and take relationship one cannot last in the long term with the other. I know people will be upset if they get ganked even I would, but the best part of the game is everything effects the world. Every death every gank or every monster kill will affect the world, and that's why we are backing ashes as it's going to be a great hybrid of both.
  • Options
    @nagash I wasnt referring to your posts. ;-) And i wasnt talking about current Ashes rulesets, which are perfectly fine imo. I just did not know how someone can ruin my gaming experience by gathering, buying stuff just before me or causing lag with standing still with friends.  
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @Dygz
    Did the person who doesn't want a pvp mechanic because it could interrupt their play call a situation where a person interrupt my play with a pve mechanic an entitlement issue? That is cute.

I don't know if it's an design issue, games that use tagging are usually designed that way with for a reason. Don't know about tagging but they mentioned in the last stream that we will want to fight over resources spawns so that probably means it will be limited so there is a reason to fight.

@Ferryman
    You are kind of exaggerating what's being talked about here. I don't think anyone was saying these situations were soul crushing. Just talking about pve situations that can interfere with others.

If someone's game experience is ruined because they got killed by a player then that is a personal problem. 

• Options
    edited June 2018
    oh sorry, @Ferryman I didn't mean to quote what you said. I have no idea why it did that  :'(
  • Options

@Ferryman
    You are kind of exaggerating what's being talked about here. I don't think anyone was saying these situations were soul crushing. Just talking about pve situations that can interfere with others.

I guess you should read again some post up there and you can see it is more than just some PvE situations and interfere with others. No "soul crushing" like you said, but "ruining" like i straightly borrowed from references. Also comparing ganking with all this "ruining" PvE stuff was something totally new to me i have not experienced in 15 years of gaming. To get ganked in other hand feels shit everytime. I am kind of used to it especially in Albion Online (what i have played mostly casually past few years), but i know many players are not. 
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @McStackerson
    Who is the person who did not want a PvP mechanic?
    I would like to see that quote.

If getting killed by a player has no significant consequences -as in Bless Online- it's not an issue. Same with PvP combat in NWO.
    If getting killed by a player means that I'm going to lose items and gain experience debt, it's a significant problem... since that adds time and effort to my gameplay.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    I guess you should read again some post up there and you can see it is more than just some PvE situations and interfere with others. No "soul crushing" like you said, but "ruining" like i straightly borrowed from references. Also comparing ganking with all this "ruining" PvE stuff was something totally new to me i have not experienced in 15 years of gaming. To get ganked in other hand feels shit everytime. I am kind of used to it especially in Albion Online (what i have played mostly casually past few years), but i know many players are not. 
    Yea, ruin is a strong word but I don't think that was really the point of the posts. It was more about affecting other players.

In albion's open world, haven't you had a scenario where you were waiting for a boss/elite-mob to spawn and someone else steals it? What about a scenarios where you are trying to efficiently farm an area and people start killing your mobs or farming your resources? These are the kind of scenarios that they are talking about. Just pointing out how your time was wasted and gameplay effected. 
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    In the MMORPGs I play, I can always easily find some other place to farm.
    I don't own boss/elite mobs, so it's not possible for other people to steal them.
    I consider it poor game design to have content that is camped and can be "stolen" by other players.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I'm not saying you own anything, I'm saying you have been affected by another player. Even if you go and find another place to farm, that is time lost. If you were waiting for something to spawn and someone else takes it, then you have been affected. You were not able to kill the mob you planned on killing and that time you spent waiting was wasted.

• Options
    This discussion isn't simply about being affected by other players.

I do not lose significant time finding another place to farm.
    I do lose significant time on regaining lost items and getting rid of xp debt.
    Not being able to kill the mob I expected to kill is the product of poor game design.
    That is a dev problem; not a player problem.
  • Options
    I'm not saying you own anything, I'm saying you have been affected by another player. Even if you go and find another place to farm, that is time lost. If you were waiting for something to spawn and someone else takes it, then you have been affected. You were not able to kill the mob you planned on killing and that time you spent waiting was wasted.

That is the nature of this type game. Many would argue that playing any online games is time wasted.  It's really not much different then many real life ordeals. 
    For example:
    Crazy shoppers go out early on Black Friday trying to get the best deals.  They know someone will get the last one and it might not be them so they move on to the next store and the next deal.  They find it challenging according to gals I have spoken to.
    People, whether in real life or a game will always be effected by others.  It's what you make of it and how you let it effect you that matters.   

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Um. No. It's very different from real life ordeals.
    Because the griefing that occurs in MMORPGs is significantly more prevalent than in real life.
    Black Friday is one day out of the year.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    This discussion isn't simply about being affected by other players.

I do not lose significant time finding another place to farm.
    I do lose significant time on regaining lost items and getting rid of xp debt.
    Not being able to kill the mob I expected to kill is the product of poor game design.
    That is a dev problem; not a player problem.
    But it is about affecting players or at least that is all i'm talking about. I feel like you are trying to make this out to be more then it is.

@CylverRayne
    I'm not attacking this mechanic, just pointing it out.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Because affecting other players has never been in contention.
    Affecting other players is not an issue.
    The whole point of MMORPGs is to be affected by other players - that is even true for solo players.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    Because affecting other players has never been in contention.
    Affecting other players is not an issue.
    The whole point of MMORPGs is to be affected by other players - that is even true for solo players.
    Sorry @Dygz,  I was responding to Mc's post about affecting others by actions. You and I totally agree here. 
     As far as real life vs game though,  it is quit similar.  You have serious evil bullies in real life as well as the gaming worlds that do affect others. It's how we deal with it that matters in the end and affects our sanity. :)
  • Options
    Well, just to share a story while I take a shit. About how a hard core PvE player can singlehandedly cause a lot of problems for all other players on a server.

Now to be clear, this guy had 2 things going for him that AoC will hopefully never see, that is OP P2W gear, and fast travel. 

This guy would farm every field raid boss that spawned, on spawn. In this game the instance bosses dropped nothing of value,  and the only way to get certain things was to farm these open world field raids. Now, it was  very possible to get to these bosses before this guy, but your whole party, if not raid force, could not keep up with the dmg this 1 guy did due to piss poor game design. So when he showed up, and he would, he would simply out dps you and take the drops and move on.

Now what this did was a few things.
    - Bottle necked certain items in the market and made the prices artificially high.
    - Denied some players the path to progress certain quests and progressions, for indefinitely.
    - Allowed 1 person to vault ahead of most of, if not everyone on the server in certain categories.

As I said, in this case it was mostly poor design to allow this to happen. However that does not take away the fact that if there are any loopholes whatsoever in the PvE side, then a hardcore PvE player will go and start to abuse this. It is also a logical argument, that when something like this happens, it is far more harmful to the server overall than several PvP players griefing a few people non stop.
  • Options
    Dang, this whole conversation now has me thinking my alt will be a pvp ganker and not my planned tank...
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Yea, ruin is a strong word but I don't think that was really the point of the posts. It was more about affecting other players.

In albion's open world, haven't you had a scenario where you were waiting for a boss/elite-mob to spawn and someone else steals it? What about a scenarios where you are trying to efficiently farm an area and people start killing your mobs or farming your resources? These are the kind of scenarios that they are talking about. Just pointing out how your time was wasted and gameplay effected. 
    Yes that happens and it is quite usual actually. But in Albion stolen boss/mobs are a thing you should be less worry about, especially if you are at black zone dungeon. It is the other players you should be worrying about. ;) Albion is ofc bad example, because of full loot and it hurts so much more than just inventory drops in Ashes.

But lets come back to Ashes. Even you can be affecfed undirectly via PvE, it is not as bad as you will be ganked by other player(s). If someone gets to the mobs first, you can still have choise to change place to farm, but if someone is attacking you, you dont have choise to avoid the situation. So that was my point. So it is much worse thing from player point of view, that (s)he will be ganked by player, than someone takes "your" mob/boss or buys "your" sword. There is a huge difference like day and night.     
This discussion has been closed.