Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

You got Questions - We Got Answers

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Jahlon wrote: »
    With four live-streams done now in the last 8 days, there is information overload out there.

Some of you may still have questions. Go ahead and put them here.

A lot of different creators are working on a lot of different projects, and we have some more interviews coming up, so load up those questions and lets see if we can't either direct you to an answer, or get your question queued up to the next CCs doing interviews.

@Jahlon
    Perhaps not you, as I imagine Ashes101 is still keeping you busy (it is coming along nicely though, imo), but it would be great if someone out there was able to come up with a list of "new" info that we have received over the last month or so. Or even just a recap of "new" info for each stream.

There have been too many interviews and such to keep up with, and most of them are going over the same old thing again, but with the occasional piece of new info thrown in.
  • Options
    When can we see how rogues play? Im very passionate stealth/quick burst class all i know so far is that they will have stealth, were there any more infos or anything you could tell us more?
  • Options
    nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Laylow wrote: »
    When can we see how rogues play? Im very passionate stealth/quick burst class all i know so far is that they will have stealth, were there any more infos or anything you could tell us more?

There was some rogue play very early in the game development, well rogue/ranger. It was very stealthy and sneaky based gameplay.

They will be very useful in dungeons because they have the ability to detect traps or secret passages, that might lead to secret bosses, for example.

Very early gameplay:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/File:rogue.mp4
  • Options
    My question is:
    How the secondary Class will shape and change the primary one.
    Is choosing a second class mandatory? Then what if i take Mage Mage ...or Mage Rogue. Is the second Class going to increase my performance and Damage on top the fact i'm already a Dps dealer?
    So if i make a Mage Tank , am i going to be weaker with dps of a Mage Mage? Or i just get more options.

If a dps can increase his primary class power i wonder nobody is going to choose a secondary class that doesn't. Unless they want to just Roleplay.
  • Options
    We live in a time of streamers and streamer zergs. What can be done to not have this ruin the server that the famous streamer is on? For example if Popular Streamer #1 is on a server, he is obviously going to get voted mayor of the node, and have a zerg of people helping him with castle sieges, pvp events etc.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In Freeholds, can we place multiples of the same building? Multiple smelters or stables and whatnot, to really specialize the freehold output.
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    @Jahlon
    Your answer demonstrates why I am asking. I am wondering just how difficult Steven is intending for countered classes to have it. Your answer makes sense, but at this point it is all theory crafting. Do you actually know that a secondary class is intended to alter the balance enough to hard counter a previous hard counter as in your example of an Archmage becoming able to hard counter a type of rouge?

I main mages in MMO's and I am used to being hard countered by burst DPS rouge's stealthing up to me. However, even those situations can be dealt with a lot of the time once you learn the counters. I am just wondering how difficult the intent is for the countered classes.

Your point about the time to kill being near the ceiling of one minute intended is a good one. Essentially, if we can make use of active dodges and damage blocks, then we could do enough damage to win out against their faster kill time.

Yes, Steven has said this. The 8 classes available to the primary archetype provide versatility to the player to decide how they want to fullfill their role. Of course this is all theory until we see it.
    Also, active dodges and blocks have sort of shifted into being kit dodges and block buffs. Steven talked about this in the livestream in June.
    noaani wrote: »
    With four live-streams done now in the last 8 days, there is information overload out there.
    @Jahlon
    Perhaps not you, as I imagine Ashes101 is still keeping you busy (it is coming along nicely though, imo), but it would be great if someone out there was able to come up with a list of "new" info that we have received over the last month or so. Or even just a recap of "new" info for each stream.

There have been too many interviews and such to keep up with, and most of them are going over the same old thing again, but with the occasional piece of new info thrown in.

So I did do a livestream recap and a recap of the important part of the AMA.
    “New” is sort of a subjective term. An interesting way to gauge what is really “new” is to see what content I cover, what things I pluck out of the Q&A parts. If you see me covering something, chance are that is new (or at least new to me)

The other stuff I don’t cover, probably isn’t “new to me” but it might be new to you.
    Also, questions. QUESTIONS are amazing and a great way for me to shape my content. If you have a question other people may have had it too.
    Laylow wrote: »

Rogues may or may not be one of the 5 Archetypes displayed early in A1. As soon as A1 hits we should be getting class blogs.
    Medrash wrote: »
    My question is:
    How the secondary Class will shape and change the primary one.
    Is choosing a second class mandatory? Then what if i take Mage Mage ...or Mage Rogue. Is the second Class going to increase my performance and Damage on top the fact i'm already a Dps dealer?
    So if i make a Mage Tank , am i going to be weaker with dps of a Mage Mage? Or i just get more options.

If a dps can increase his primary class power i wonder nobody is going to choose a secondary class that doesn't. Unless they want to just Roleplay.

Doubling down on your class (Mage + Mage or Rogue + Rogue) will make you the most potent but least versatile of the 8 classes available to your Archetype.
    You do not have to choose a secondary (to our knowledge) but not doing so would leave you with a hole in your character.
    Yes you would be a weaker Mage as a Mage + Tank vs a Mage + Mage, but raw output is not always the mark of the most useful team member. If your abilities were to provide damage mitigation in some form, that might allow for the Cleric to be able to do some Damage Dealing, and while your overall DPS would be lower your teams overall DPS would be higher.
    We do not know how all that will pan out yet since we do not know but a fraction of the augment system.
    Phrequency wrote: »
    We live in a time of streamers and streamer zergs. What can be done to not have this ruin the server that the famous streamer is on? For example if Popular Streamer #1 is on a server, he is obviously going to get voted mayor of the node, and have a zerg of people helping him with castle sieges, pvp events etc.
    Yes a Streamer is going to have that.
    How is that any different than the leader of a 1200 member alliance? Or a leader of a 15,000 person gaming organization?

The game is build around anti-zerg.

Castle Sieges have limits of 250 vs 250.

There is little to no fast travel.

And only 1 of 4 node types are popular election

Nerror wrote: »
    In Freeholds, can we place multiples of the same building? Multiple smelters or stables and whatnot, to really specialize the freehold output.

You probably wouldn’t need to do multiple smelters, but you could do multiple fishing ponds, stables (if they are needed for space), farm plots, etc.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    GeneralCat wrote: »
    What will the rating for the game be, and will there be tasteful nudity?

I noticed an ARTISTIC painting hanging on the wall (left side of the door) in one of their walk throughs.
    https://youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2452&v=KCr9yh2Y97I

@autumnleaf @GeneralCat
    AoC is aiming for a Teen rating, they want the most people so it's a true MMORPG. But Steven has expressed fear they might get slapped with a Mature rating.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/User_interface#ESRB_rating
    To prevent that they may have a toggle for blood and gore. They probably wont have swearing in quests.

Autumn the general atmosphere Steven/Jeff have said in a video Q&A (and I think it was in response to Stuffertons the cosmetic mount, was that there will be humor in the game but proper for the situation, overall the gameworld is meant to be gritty and darker than say a game like WoW. Some of the religious lore sounds like it can get dark. "The antagonists in this game are definitely dark... we're not going grimdark at all, but there are parts of it that get that way. - Jeff
  • Options
    I have some questions after reading through stuff

Is there a citizenship cap for nodes? I won't be surprise if most player are attracted to metro-level nodes and leave lv 3 vessel nodes like ghost town, but if there is cap it will suck if I can't become citizen to my guild's HQ nodes. (I won't be surprise if guild leader will ask all members to be in same nodes to prevent guild mates facing either other on nodes sieges)

For Scientific nodes (and other nodes), do player have to become citizen to access ALL of it's building service or anyone with coins can? (for example: Artisan-ship mastery qualifications is citizen only or anyone who have enough artisan proficiency can) I know teleportation is citizen only but not sure about other services.

I read that stealth character will have blurry image and not complete invisibility. So does that means we are unable to click and target the player with target skills? If we use action base skills and AoE will it knock them out from their stealth (if they are flagged of course) or they will just stay stealth but take damage.

Thank you for answering and keep up the good work.

• Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Jahlon
    Yes, Steven has said this. The 8 classes available to the primary archetype provide versatility to the player to decide how they want to fullfill their role. Of course this is all theory until we see it.
    Also, active dodges and blocks have sort of shifted into being kit dodges and block buffs. Steven talked about this in the livestream in June.
    Thank you very much. I hope they succeed in such a range of balance as it would make it so that you could almost choose which classes and builds you are willing to be vulnerable to.

• Options
    We know the secondary class will give augments to modify the primary class' abilities with. These augments exist of four schools. I'm assuming each school exists of multiple augments, so:

Are we able to choose one of four schools per ability or can we only choose a school once which then applies to all abilities?
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • Options
    Dummo wrote: »
    We know the secondary class will give augments to modify the primary class' abilities with. These augments exist of four schools. I'm assuming each school exists of multiple augments, so:

Are we able to choose one of four schools per ability or can we only choose a school once which then applies to all abilities?

I was gone for a few days on vacation. Where did this "Schools" thing come from?
    EmoNagger wrote: »
    I have some questions after reading through stuff

Is there a citizenship cap for nodes? I won't be surprise if most player are attracted to metro-level nodes and leave lv 3 vessel nodes like ghost town, but if there is cap it will suck if I can't become citizen to my guild's HQ nodes. (I won't be surprise if guild leader will ask all members to be in same nodes to prevent guild mates facing either other on nodes sieges)

For Scientific nodes (and other nodes), do player have to become citizen to access ALL of it's building service or anyone with coins can? (for example: Artisan-ship mastery qualifications is citizen only or anyone who have enough artisan proficiency can) I know teleportation is citizen only but not sure about other services.

I read that stealth character will have blurry image and not complete invisibility. So does that means we are unable to click and target the player with target skills? If we use action base skills and AoE will it knock them out from their stealth (if they are flagged of course) or they will just stay stealth but take damage.

Thank you for answering and keep up the good work.

Not every node is going to offer services that players will want. You may want the services of an economic node and your guild lives in a military node.

Keep in mind that your Guild doesn't own a node. Also keep in mind sieges don't have nodes facing other nodes. Node Sieges are people in the world vs the Node. Node Wars are Nodes vs Node.

Some services are available to everyone, some services are available to citizens only.

You will be able to aim at stealth characters with action skills, and AOE skills should hit him. The question we cannot answer if you can hit them with tab skills.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • Options

I was gone for a few days on vacation. Where did this "Schools" thing come from?

Each secondary archetype offers four different schools of augmentation.[8][11]
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Augments
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • Options
    FaolchuFaolchu Member
    edited August 2020
    Rather small question: Will master smiths/crafters be able to apply a unique name to their final product.
    Example: GM Smith (sorry old UO references) creates epic/legendary quality sword and rather than saying longsword or whatnot or if the system has a prefix/suffix system, instead it can bare the name of "Rune Fang" or something etc.
  • Options
    does the toilet paper roll go on over or under?
    a34ad54277341e048554a1bf88ee6284.jpg

Heroes Fade but Legends last forever

• Options
    HubrisHubris Member
    edited August 2020
    Thank you for your time on answering everyone's questions, I have three main questions that I'm hoping someone from the team may see.

1- Will there be any intention in the future to add corruption zones? I made a post earlier mentioning how cool it would be to dive deep into a castle looking for rare loot ,but by entering you become flagged corrupt . This would be a huge High risk high reward mechanic.

2- When can we expect to get more info on class skills?

3- What is the benefits to doubling down on a class? (Mage/mage)
    What exactly would the augments be in this situation, would they just increase the power or will we have unique abilities by doubling down that we wouldn't get other wise?

If some of these have been answered I'm really sorry. You can just state that and I'll dig deeper for the answer.
  • Options
    Hubris wrote: »
    4- Stealth, how will it work? Will we have an actual invisible stealth mechanic such as WoW? Where you're completely unseen unless standing extremely close ?

The invisibility will be like the predator movie. You can kind of make out the translucent outline while they are still if you pay attention. They are much more visible while moving. It is possible for anyone to see them. Some classes will probably have abilities or traits that make them easier to see. We do not know how long invisibility will last except that it will not be permanent.

Example of the effect from Apocalypse play test:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/images/6/6c/Invisibility.mp4

• Options
    XenotorXenotor Member
    edited August 2020
    Thank you for your time on answering everyone's questions, I have four main questions that I'm hoping someone from the team may see.

What exactly would the augments be in this situation, would they just increase the power or will we have unique abilities by doubling down that we wouldn't get other wise?

4- Stealth, how will it work? Will we have an actual invisible stealth mechanic such as WoW? Where you're completely unseen unless standing extremely close ?

I can answer these thanks to your streams Jahlon. I hope you dont mind.
    Still please correct me if i say something wrong.

3. The short Answer is potency. You are far more potent mage then say a mage /fighter but you lack the diversity of auguments another class may give you.

4. The best example i can give you here is the Planetside 2 Infiltrator invisibility while running around.
    Yes you are see throgh but there is a shimmer in the air that is pretty obvious when you know what to look for.
    So no you wont have perfect steahlth like in WoW. It will all be about paying attention to your surroundings.

I am however not sure if you leave footprints.

Also Remember, we are not even at Alpha 1 yet. All these mechanics will be testes and tweeked until they are set as perfect as possible.

Edit: Furry of Blades was faster then me and even bought a link. Shame on me
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • Options
    Faolchu wrote: »
    Rather small question: Will master smiths/crafters be able to apply a unique name to their final product.
    Example: GM Smith (sorry old UO references) creates epic/legendary quality sword and rather than saying longsword or whatnot or if the system has a prefix/suffix system, instead it can bare the name of "Rune Fang" or something etc.

Sorry this isn't the notification u were hoping for , but I love this idea
  • Options

You will be able to put your character's name on the item you crafted. But I have never heard them mention the ability to name the item something other than what its default name is. https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Crafted_items
  • Options

Each secondary archetype offers four different schools of augmentation.[8][11]
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Augments

Thank you, I had missed that interview. I listened to it but I missed the "schools" thing. That changes a bit about it. Will maybe need to poke Steven for more details, which then he'll ignore me.

There is no naming of weapons that we know of, but your name will be on the weapon since you are the crafter.
    does the toilet paper roll go on over or under?

According to the 1891 patent it is supposed to go over the roll, however, a 1933 patient for a different type of holder shows it being used under.

So, to avoid confusion, you just plop it on the back of the toilet or on the sink.
    Thank you for your time on answering everyone's questions, I have three main questions that I'm hoping someone from the team may see.

1- Will there be any intention in the future to add corruption zones? I made a post earlier mentioning how cool it would be to dive deep into a castle looking for rare loot ,but by entering you become flagged corrupt . This would be a huge High risk high reward mechanic.

2- When can we expect to get more info on class skills?

If some of these have been answered I'm really sorry. You can just state that and I'll dig deeper for the answer.

1: No. They do not want you to be corrupted. There may be a future for zones that are "corruption-free open world battlegrounds" where you do not need to flag for PvP, if you are in there you are flagged.

2: Class Skills you mean Augments that is A2. Archetype Skills is A1. Those class blogs are coming. I promise. Soon™

3: The double downed Classes are the most powerful but the least versatile from a quote from the developers a few years ago. Now, don't ask me what that means.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @Jahlon
    I occasionally come across someone on the forum complaining the IS did not meet some date they seem to have made up and are saying that IS is falling behind, the project may never release, blah, blah, blah.

Do you think that you could post your spreadsheet that you mentioned in one of your recent videos of all their announced dates and whether they met the date or not? Perhaps it could be stickied somewhere on the forums or put on another website such as Ashes 101 where you could update there for each update. Then whenever someone comes in with some complaint about progress, anyone could just reference it for them.

It would be nice to have :)
  • Options
    @Jahlon
    I occasionally come across someone on the forum complaining the IS did not meet some date they seem to have made up and are saying that IS is falling behind, the project may never release, blah, blah, blah.

Do you think that you could post your spreadsheet that you mentioned in one of your recent videos of all their announced dates and whether they met the date or not? Perhaps it could be stickied somewhere on the forums or put on another website such as Ashes 101 where you could update there for each update. Then whenever someone comes in with some complaint about progress, anyone could just reference it for them.

It would be nice to have :)

Well as you mentioned it is tracked at Ashes101.com

its not my most favored product, since well it does sort of point out the good, the bad and the ugly.

Right now given Covid its hard to really be hard line on deadlines. Its Semper Gumbi right now...always flexible.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • Options
    Awesome, just hadn't seen it :)
  • Options
    Will older exclusive cosmetics become purchasable again for eligible Intrepid package holders(like my.com)?
  • Options
    FaolchuFaolchu Member
    edited August 2020

Sorry this isn't the notification u were hoping for , but I love this idea

We were able to in Shadow Bane, but the crafting system didn't rely on any skill based system. So, I figured there should be a qualifying method so GM smith (UO) made more sense.
  • Options
    Ulquiorra wrote: »
    Will older exclusive cosmetics become purchasable again for eligible Intrepid package holders(like my.com)?

It says they won't be, but that doesn't mean other variations won't be released.
  • Options
    UlquiorraUlquiorra Member
    edited August 2020

It says they won't be, but that doesn't mean other variations won't be released.

No, the same exclusives will be available for my.com backers and KS backers who migrated to my.com, because the store was disabled for them for months and they didn't get the chance to newer cosmetics.
  • Options
    Hi Jahlon,

I started a thread on this before realizing I should have checked w/ you first! :) What insights have you to share regarding the following damage/mitigation types (and sub types)?

Damage Types
    - Will there be differing damage types, beyond just physical/magic, that will have different levels of effectiveness against different armor types? Basically, more sub-types of damage such as Physical-Piercing or Physical-Bludgeoning? Magic-Fire vs Magic-Ice?
    - If so, will these damage types be bound to weapons or actions? For instance could a sword be effective with a "Flat-Blade" type blunt attack as well as Slashing and Piercing attacks?
    - Further, will different damage types (and sub types) be more effective against different mobs in PvE scenarios? Fire vs Plants or Lightning vs Fish? My experience FFXI weighs heavily on mechanics like this, where as it felt less impactful in other MMO's.

Mitigation Types

- I thought I heard in one of the Q&A sessions w/ the Intrepid team that some armor will do better against physical vs. magical damage, but does it get more granular with successive sub-types such as Mail vs Plate vs Leather, when it comes to damage types?

Example Damage/Mitigation
    - Slash | most effective against cloth | least effective against plate/heavy
    - Pierce | most effective against mail | least effective against leather
    - Blunt | most effective against plate/heavy | least effective against cloth
    - Hack | most effective against leather | least effective against mail

With magic, a circular hierarchy along the lines of:
    Fire > Ice > Wind > Earth > Lightning > Water > Fire
  • Options
    FaolchuFaolchu Member
    edited August 2020

No, the same exclusives will be available for my.com backers and KS backers who migrated to my.com, because the store was disabled for them for months and they didn't get the chance to newer cosmetics.

oh sweet, did not know that caveat, thanks for correcting me.