Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

You got Questions - We Got Answers

Comments

• Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Impact of xp debt on max level characters:
    • Removing corruption through grinding will be impacted by xp debt.
    • When an expansion releases with additional levels available, then the previously max level character will have to clear debt to continue leveling.

Another player said these will scale off of total xp debt:
    • Skill and stat dampening
    • Lower health and mana
    • Lower gear proficiency
    • Reduction in drops from monsters
    • Drop a percentage of raw materials

Is all of that correct and a full list of the impact experience debt on max level characters that we know of?

Also, since node development depends on xp earned in the node, does xp debt block contributing xp to the node?

That's what we know of so far
    @Jahlon Did you notice Steven's pucker factor increase the few times you were mentioned in the live stream today?

🤭

I did not. I might have to go back and look at that. I don't think I scare Steven though
    skearnz wrote: »
    so ive got a question here:

we know that increasing guild sizes comes at the expense of the bonuses you might otherwise choose, do we have any info on what these bonuses could be if we did not choose size?

a follow question on that would be, if a smaller guild owns a castle, will it be able to stand its own against an invading large guild?

So we do not know what those bonuses are, however, for your Guild Question, I'm not saying that a Small Guild can't hold off a Castle from a large invading guild, but if the bonuses system lets 50 people hold off 300 then the bonuses system is broken.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    Great BraeGreat Brae Member
    edited September 2020
    I feel the curruption system won't be enough to stop players from greifing others, and solely focused on doing nothing but stealing other players items.

My quiestion is how do you guys intend to handle players that solely greifs players, finds a way around your curruption system, and breeding a toxic atmospher? As we know our current generation of players do not feel or act the same as with the pre-EQ and EQ era's.

AKA how will you deal with the toxicity via player greifing. As that is the norm in gaming these days.

edit: I'd also like to know how the stat debuff death penalty balance will work during pvp events/instances like castle seiges, arena's, and battlegrounds.

As well as a bit more details of secondary class affix vs abilities, and will class affix's can effect weapon skills.

edit 2: I also would like to know why you guys decided to create the caravan system to allow players to steal other players property. As this also a toxic/greifing breeder. Although I enjoy pvp, I do not like it envolving the other party being greived by it. I would like to suggest the caravan's carrying city properties instead, as that would more akin to node vs node rather then, I want to steal this players stuff and ruin there day.

edit 3: There is also to fact of forced world pvp combat. If the game is pvx, then why make even non-combatants be the target of pvp in non-pvp zones?
  • Options
    bigepeenbigepeen Member
    edited September 2020
    Great Brae wrote: »
    edit 3: There is also to fact of forced world pvp combat. If the game is pvx, then why make even non-combatants be the target of pvp in non-pvp zones?

This fits in with AoC's ideals of giving players as many degrees of freedom as possible when it comes to what you can do in-game, as well as having more rewarding gameplay by there being risk of PvP. Killing mobs can get quite monotonous if the world is just a safe-zone where you don't have to look out for other players. Open world PvP (with limits on how often it occurs through the corruption system), can break up the monotony and reward those who are aware of their surroundings.

I'm not sure why you "feel" that the corruption system can't work. If you decentivize something enough, sure some people might still do it and gimp themselves, but most people won't bother if the penalties heavily outweigh the rewards.
  • Options
    mostly because it can be out thought out. If a player don't want there good gear to drop after the greifing they can swap the gear. They can also find a way (via class mechanics or elsewise) to avoid players until they dump there treasures, in a homestead or gave them to an ally to hold until the curruption falls. It needs to go further then that to decentivize it. World pvp can happen, but not at the cost of those that don't have time/nor want to engage in it. Like racing to a node and fighting for before anyone claimed it, that can be good pvp. But player theft is not.
  • Options
    mostly because it can be out thought out. If a player don't want there good gear to drop after the greifing they can swap the gear. They can also find a way (via class mechanics or elsewise) to avoid players until they dump there treasures, in a homestead or gave them to an ally to hold until the curruption falls. It needs to go further then that to decentivize it. World pvp can happen, but not at the cost of those that don't have time/nor want to engage in it. Like racing to a node and fighting for before anyone claimed it, that can be good pvp. But player theft is not.

There could be ways to jump through hoops in order to cause mass griefing, but if the corruption system is even reasonably well made, most people will only try to steal things if the reward outweighs the risk.

If someone notices that you've been farming an area for 5 hours and storing all the drops on your mule, then yeah that person might think the reward of killing you and your mule outweighs the resulting corruption penalty. This creates exciting gameplay. Think about how much adrenaline you'd be pumping trying to defend yourself and the mule you've packed with 5 hours of drops. And if you die and lose that work, it's your fault for taking that risk, and you just have to be smarter next time about managing that risk.

Implementing safe zones waters down gameplay and basically removes all risk. Player theft is okay as long as it doesn't turn into griefing where players are just killing others for the sake of killing without consequences. I'd rather have the risk, because it creates deeper gameplay than just the carebear mentality of flagging for PvE and not ever worrying about world PvP.
  • Options
    I'd think I'd be reasonably pissed and would most likely rage quit if that ever happened if I where dumb enough to do that to be honest.

no, player theft is never ok. at all, I have 0 tolerance for it, and frankly I'm sure allot of ppl feels the same way. For a game that wants to try to bring mass players into it with all the possible role-play and replayability in it, allowing player theft is a giant turn-off of it.
  • Options
    If Clerics are meant to be the Masters of Life and Death magic, where is the death magic? In every description of them they are seen as healers, yet we don't seem to the other side outside of it being used as a secondary role.

Can you give some examples of the master of death side to clerics and what their place in AoC will be?
  • Options
    I'd think I'd be reasonably pissed and would most likely rage quit if that ever happened if I where dumb enough to do that to be honest.

no, player theft is never ok. at all, I have 0 tolerance for it, and frankly I'm sure allot of ppl feels the same way. For a game that wants to try to bring mass players into it with all the possible role-play and replayability in it, allowing player theft is a giant turn-off of it.

You realize that you can fight back against player theft and mitigate it by taking less risks, right? A lot of this game involves taking resources from other players, because this creates the risk/rewards of a PvX game. Most of this game has an element of player theft (e.g. caravan theft, castle sieges, node wars, mule looting, etc...), and if you have zero tolerance for player theft, then I really don't know if you will like a PvX game.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    But by doing so, the opposing player will not currupt, thus allowing him with getting away with theft.

They all can be done without having player having to steal from another. What your asking for is for something like a gangwar game.
  • Options
    But by doing so, the opposing player will not currupt, thus allowing him with getting away with theft.

They all can be done without having player having to steal from another. What your asking for is for something like a gangwar game.

I would actually agree with you that a player flagging as a combatant and attacking an unflagged player should result in corruption whether or not the unflagged player dies or not.

Actual resources being on the line gives more of an adrenaline rush to defend your resources from being stolen for the defender, and more of a sense of satisfaction if you're the thief. I know that some carebears will be devastated, but my stance is that risking things that you are invested in, rather than just making everything a participation trophy, makes for more compelling gameplay.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    considering that supposably most of the gathering areas is supposed to be chuck full of hard mobs, it would already be difficult to get to. I can get behind fighting to be the first one there too in a form of pvp, just when someone already laid claim to the prize, it would feel wrong to have it stolen from them, since if you think about it, if it was dangerous to reach the resource it will be dangerous to get out. The theif can wait till your attacked by a mob and then it's all over.

AKA dirty fighting, not new to me in the mmo world.
  • Options
    You just have to be vigilant and not aggro too many mobs if there is another player around that you're suspicious of. Also, it would be advisable to stay closer to max hp when fighting mobs when you see someone nearby. Since the time to kill in this game is going to be around 30 seconds, you will have enough time to react, disengage the mob, and reset the fight if you've taken the necessary precautions. This isn't going to be a MMO where you can just nuke opponents and kill them extremely fast.
  • Options
    We will have to see how mob placement is versus player planning and etc. If the class has proper escape mechanics to imploy and how the vs. players gear is, as well as the hp pools of the players at that point.

Although I would prefer player corpse looting not to be a thing in case a player does get into trouble and another troublemaker takes advantage of it. If there is no carrot on the stick besides node rivalry, greifing would not be bad.
  • Options
    TwangTwang Member
    edited September 2020
    For the limited info on summoner do we know if summoned creatures and their percentage for set power. will health be the same as a subtraction to your own? Power n health cuts in exchange for minions. Ability minions vs longer duration summoned minions.
  • Options
    Morty wrote: »
    For the limited info on summoner do we know if summoned creatures and their percentage for set power. will health be the same as a subtraction to your own? Power n health cuts in exchange for minions. Ability minions vs longer duration summoned minions.

Unknown at this time. We don't know enough to know this answer

hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • Options
    QuenedQuened Member
    edited September 2020
    Here are some questions about guilds:

1-Do you have any information on the possible creation of a PNJ within the guild for its defense or its management?

2- Will it be possible to create quests to gather resources or information or even combat and objectives for the members of the guild with rewards?

3- Do you know if it will be possible to build a guild hall or a fortress on a particular land (in catacombs, dungeon, cave, mountain or underground galleries)?

And finally, are we going to keep our progress in game and character between each test phase and the release of the game or will there be a reboot at each stage?
  • Options
    insomniainsomnia Member
    edited September 2020
    The forum really needs a FAQ. Because lots of questions seems to be asked that has already been answered or there is no answer for.
    Or a topic with the title "Got a question. Look here first". Then answers to certain questions and a link to the webpage.
    F.x. Where can i get the game. When is the game released. Classe and race questions. etc. And make it a sticky so it stays in the front page and in the top. Maybe i should make a new topic for this
  • Options
    Quened wrote: »
    Here are some questions about guilds:

1-Do you have any information on the possible creation of a PNJ within the guild for its defense or its management?

2- Will it be possible to create quests to gather resources or information or even combat and objectives for the members of the guild with rewards?

3- Do you know if it will be possible to build a guild hall or a fortress on a particular land (in catacombs, dungeon, cave, mountain or underground galleries)?

And finally, are we going to keep our progress in game and character between each test phase and the release of the game or will there be a reboot at each stage?

1: No information
    2: No information for the guild specifically, but this feature exists at taverns
    3: No, they follow the same rules as freeholds
    4: A2 is persistent and becomes the PTR. Nothing carries over through to launch
    insomnia wrote: »
    The forum really needs a FAQ. Because lots of questions seems to be asked that has already been answered or there is no answer for.
    Or a topic with the title "Got a question. Look here first". Then answers to certain questions and a link to the webpage.
    F.x. Where can i get the game. When is the game released. Classe and race questions. etc. And make it a sticky so it stays in the front page and in the top. Maybe i should make a new topic for this

I try to provide that function at https://www.ashes101.com/
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • Options
    MushinMushin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Can spellbooks be an off hand weapon? Also will we be able to swap weapons during battle? Thank you
  • Options
    I know that there's barbershops/salons for messing with your hair in-game, but has there been mention if they also do face work post start? Like you make your character from the customization screen, then when diving into the world, you noticed that their cheeks look pretty chunky? I just don't want to relive my Monster Hunter World experience where they turn their head to the right angle and you scrunch your nose with a Sharp Inhale.
    E8OOol.gif
  • Options
    mushin wrote: »
    Can spellbooks be an off hand weapon? Also will we be able to swap weapons during battle? Thank you

they are ranged
    I know that there's barbershops/salons for messing with your hair in-game, but has there been mention if they also do face work post start? Like you make your character from the customization screen, then when diving into the world, you noticed that their cheeks look pretty chunky? I just don't want to relive my Monster Hunter World experience where they turn their head to the right angle and you scrunch your nose with a Sharp Inhale.

They have not mentioned a definitive answer to this yet
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Copying this question from another thread:

I see that we're having two cosmetics systems in place: full outfit that won't enable mix 'n match (like GW2) and per gear piece cosmetic "slot". I'd like to know how IS intends to address having too short space to "save" items whose only purpose is to transmogify/use as base to apply its skin to an actual gear slot. Have they talked about this? In GW2 there's no such thing because skins work as unlockables so the amount you can have is 100% infinite, requiring a Transmutation Charge to apply an unlocked skin onto an item. Anyone knows to it will work? Searched the wiki and only found few info at this moment, so not sure if they talked about this before.

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/46610/cosmetic-systems#latest
  • Options
    What happens when I die in pve? Does it matter if I’m killed by a mob or I fall off a mountain? Is there a corpse to loot - to get some material back? Can another player loot my corpse? Is there a corpse run? Do I just rez somewhere nearby and the lost material is just subtracted from my pack?

Thanks in advance. Your videos are highly informative.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    What happens when I die in pve? Does it matter if I’m killed by a mob or I fall off a mountain? Is there a corpse to loot - to get some material back? Can another player loot my corpse? Is there a corpse run? Do I just rez somewhere nearby and the lost material is just subtracted from my pack?

Thanks in advance. Your videos are highly informative.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_death

I tried to link a Ashed 101 section on Player death but i could not find it.
    Still the site explains so much stuff.
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • Options
    Copying this question from another thread:

I see that we're having two cosmetics systems in place: full outfit that won't enable mix 'n match (like GW2) and per gear piece cosmetic "slot". I'd like to know how IS intends to address having too short space to "save" items whose only purpose is to transmogify/use as base to apply its skin to an actual gear slot. Have they talked about this? In GW2 there's no such thing because skins work as unlockables so the amount you can have is 100% infinite, requiring a Transmutation Charge to apply an unlocked skin onto an item. Anyone knows to it will work? Searched the wiki and only found few info at this moment, so not sure if they talked about this before.

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/46610/cosmetic-systems#latest

You have a cosmetic storage wardrobe, so this won't be an issue.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Will there be nodes in the Under Realm?
  • Options
    Balrog21 wrote: »
    Will there be nodes in the Under Realm?

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Underrealm
    I tell you what i know about Dwarf's.
    Very little
  • Options
    Will we be able to pay a subscription with ingame currency?
  • Options
    TehonatakeTehonatake Member, Intrepid Pack
    Hi Jahlon,

I have a quick question about the world size. 480 square km. Is that just 21.9 km by 21.9 km? Fitting 100+ nodes in this space seems small. Riding a horse at a canter is 16-28 km/h. A large part of the world is water areas. Therefore, it takes well under an hour(15 mins) to travel any continent?
  • Options
    stolyaR wrote: »
    Will we be able to pay a subscription with ingame currency?

No
    Rekkor wrote: »
    Hi Jahlon,

I have a quick question about the world size. 480 square km. Is that just 21.9 km by 21.9 km? Fitting 100+ nodes in this space seems small. Riding a horse at a canter is 16-28 km/h. A large part of the world is water areas. Therefore, it takes well under an hour(15 mins) to travel any continent?

Not all the nodes can develop.

And the player move speed is 3.2 m/s sprinting is 6.4 so horses will probably not be that much.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg