Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

You got Questions - We Got Answers

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Q: Will we be able to construct golems in jewelcrafting? (That would be pretty dope in my opinion xD They could be REALLY expensive, and could function as caravan guard npcs)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • eroenneeroenne Member
    1. How many guilds can sign up to siege the same castle during the castles seige week?

2. Do guilds have to sign up for the 3 castle node events during the 3 weeks leading up to the seige? Or is this just an open world event any one can take part in?

3. Are citizens of nodes with in a castles ZOI automatically considered defenders or do they have to sign up and be granted permissions from the castle owning guild to defend and get the benefits of being defenders?

4. J, you da man bro!
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Ibarumarky wrote: »
    Q: Is it planned to add Guards & NPC workers for freehold? Was there anything stated?

Maybe for the period post-siege when the freehold is vulnerable. Not on a day to day basis

Zomnivore wrote: »
    Well, I guess my question would be, what are the next few things they're going to share with us, or likely to share with us in the next two months?

3 Node Blogs, Housing Stuff, Class Blogs, and then who knows

Damokles wrote: »
    Q: Will we be able to construct golems in jewelcrafting? (That would be pretty dope in my opinion xD They could be REALLY expensive, and could function as caravan guard npcs)

Not that we have been told.
    eroenne wrote: »

1. How many guilds can sign up to siege the same castle during the castles seige week?

Unknown. Waiting for this particular detail.
    2. Do guilds have to sign up for the 3 castle node events during the 3 weeks leading up to the seige? Or is this just an open world event any one can take part in?

Open world is what we belive at the moment, since they are "events" and not "sieges"
    3. Are citizens of nodes with in a castles ZOI automatically considered defenders or do they have to sign up and be granted permissions from the castle owning guild to defend and get the benefits of being defenders?

Unknown.

I would imagine the Guild Leader will have the option to designate them as Defenders. They are automatically part of the Garrison and receive the castle benefits, but in Archeage the Guild Leader could have the permissions for a rank that prevented from joining in on Castle Sieges. We will have to wait to see on this.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • poisonzpoisonz Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    jahlon wrote: »

What is the universe made of?

AhuZFn7.gif
  • eroenneeroenne Member
    poisonz wrote: »

Hydrogen, Helium, Oxygen and Carbon.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Hydrogen, Helium, Oxygen and Carbon.

I’d say energy and space myself.

Hhak63P.png
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dark Matter
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• JjampongJjampong Member
    edited May 2019
    Chicken or the egg? ;)
    Signature-Community-Coordinator.gif?ex=6602ea67&is=65f07567&hm=5ccf436d8d607f426cbddd409428e9c1bd5395aba12fe34a1546a571791e2af1&=
    [EU] Hand of Unity | PVX | Semi-Hardcore/Hardcore | Family
    We are still recruiting. Come and have a chat with us at our Discord!

Cotton Candy colored with black food coloring
    muridious wrote: »
    Chicken or the egg? ;)

Neither. The Fryin Pan
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • MoowellMoowell Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As someone who works the graveyard shift (11p-7a), I'm not exactly bright-eyed and bushy-tailed during the typical "prime times" mentioned in several livestreams/videos. 1) Will there be events that take place in the mornings, and 2) assuming the vast majority of events are during the prime times, how easy/difficult would it be to set up on an EU server from NA?
    Moowell wrote: »
    As someone who works the graveyard shift (11p-7a), I'm not exactly bright-eyed and bushy-tailed during the typical "prime times" mentioned in several livestreams/videos. 1) Will there be events that take place in the mornings, and 2) assuming the vast majority of events are during the prime times, how easy/difficult would it be to set up on an EU server from NA?

There will always be things going on for your server.

The key is that the Sieges will take place during the prime time windows.

You can always set up on EU from NA if you want to. That will require an account port over to my.games when the time comes.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • XenotorXenotor Member
    edited August 2020
    Q1: How many people will be able to join the same guild?

Q2: Will the number of Aliances be limited?

Q3: How do they plan to allow all members of a guild to join a single server?
    I remember in SWTOR you registerd your guild at the website.
    People could join the guild at the website and thats how they knew wich accounts had a reservation at a certain server.
    While the que times we abysal (8 hour que times at launch at my server) , the execution of the guild registration was really well done.
    Now my concern is that i watched the AMA and i cant find any information on a system like this.

The only thing i heard was, that they open character creation before launch so people of the same group / guild could make their character on the same server.
    That however reminds me of Arch age unchained and we all know how that went.

EDIT:
    Thank you Jahlon for taking your time to answer the questions.
    Shouldn't you be at your Vacation? I remember you said something about beeing away for some time.

53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • Will the map have a fog like system to unexplored regions?

Will the game have addons? If so, will it prevent addons that reveal the map and show quest locations/objectives like wow did?
  • vhbenin wrote: »
    Will the map have a fog like system to unexplored regions?

Will the game have addons? If so, will it prevent addons that reveal the map and show quest locations/objectives like wow did?

Yes to fog, no to addons.
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
    Xenotor wrote: »
    Q1: How many people will be able to join the same guild?

Q2: Will the number of Aliances be limited?

Q3: How do they plan to allow all members of a guild to join a single server?
    I remember in SWTOR you registerd your guild at the website.
    People could join the guild at the website and thats how they knew wich accounts had a reservation at a certain server.
    While the que times we abysal (8 hour que times at launch at my server) , the execution of the guild registration was really well done.
    Now my concern is that i watched the AMA and i cant find any information on a system like this.

The only thing i heard was, that they open character creation before launch so people of the same group / guild could make their character on the same server.
    That however reminds me of Arch age unchained and we all know how that went.

EDIT:
    Thank you Jahlon for taking your time to answer the questions.
    Shouldn't you be at your Vacation? I remember you said something about beeing away for some time.

Up to 300 max will be able to join the same guild
    Up to 4 guilds can be in an alliance

Q3: They are going to do pre registration for guilds during Beta to ensure everyone gets on the same server

And I am back from vacation and re energized. Did a 4.5 hour stream the day I got home and then back to back 14 hour days doing web page and content creation work.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    vhbenin wrote: »
    Will the map have a fog like system to unexplored regions?

Yes the map will have a Fog of War. You will have to keep traveling to regions to know what changes have taken place (node changes, etc)

It may be possible to trade maps with people (something Steven wants but isn't guaranteed above the line)

No the game will not have add-on support
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • Will NPCs actually do anything? Will they contribute to the economy/ node/ world?

Will they be just static occasionally dispensing flavor text when it comes to quests?
  • Lets say the major of a note sets a project to build up a forge like in the livestream.
    What do i get in return for donating my hard farmed resources to the city?

BTW you should put a link to your YouTube channel next to your Ashes 101 link.
    In your Q&A you answer so many questions.
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
    Jagaro wrote: »
    Will NPCs actually do anything? Will they contribute to the economy/ node/ world?

Will they be just static occasionally dispensing flavor text when it comes to quests?

There are some NPCs that will do things. Guards will be involved in killing corrupted, town defense, caravan defense, etc.

You will interact with different social organization NPCS, different Hunter's Lodge NPCs, etc.
    Lets say the major of a note sets a project to build up a forge like in the livestream.

Your town now has a forge. This will bring people running caravans to your Node to smelt. It will bring merchants to your Node to buy smelted ingots to move back to their crafting centers. It will bring in taxes.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • XenotorXenotor Member
    edited August 2020
    Jahlon wrote: »
    Lets say the major of a note sets a project to build up a forge like in the livestream.

Your town now has a forge. This will bring people running caravans to your Node to smelt. It will bring merchants to your Node to buy smelted ingots to move back to their crafting centers. It will bring in taxes.

These are all benefits to the town but why should I put my personal resources into the building rather then wait for someone else to do it so i can sell my resources and get more money?

What is my personal gain?
    If there is no personal gain then people who help buildup the town have a disadvantage to those who just waited for someone else to do it.

EDIT thanks again for answering the questions
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
    Jahlon wrote: »

These are all benefits to the town but why should I put my personal resources into the building rather then wait for someone else to do it so i can sell my resources and get more money?

What is my personal gain?
    If there is no personal gain then people who help buildup the town have a disadvantage to those who just waited for someone else to do it.

EDIT thanks again for answering the questions

So, the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

The trick here is that you don't have a personal gain. You live in a symbiotic relationship with your Node.

Sure, you could wait for someone else to build everything, but then who is to say that my guild doesn't build a smelter and a forge in the next node over. Because we worked as a team, we got our smelter and forge open and running, now all the miners are bringing their caravans to us. We are getting those taxes, we are making that money, and your Node is sitting around with 10 people who all had the materials to build the building, but nobody wanted to be the innovator.

This is what is going to make Ashes so unique. Player choices, player risks, and player rewards.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • In Steven's AMA he said that it will be possible to augument your active skills to give very mitigated healing to your party members in order to blur the line a little bit between the class roles.
    How many cleric/bard subclass players do you think it takes to do the job of one dedicated healer and/or screw in a lightbulb?
    0sGgchB.png
    Netory wrote: »
    In Steven's AMA he said that it will be possible to augument your active skills to give very mitigated healing to your party members in order to blur the line a little bit between the class roles.
    How many cleric/bard subclass players do you think it takes to do the job of one dedicated healer and/or screw in a lightbulb?

I think your entire party would need to be sub-classed cleric as well as having a Bard sub-classed cleric to do the job of one Cleric.

It takes
    1 Cleric to change a lightbulb
    2 Tanks - one needs to agro the dead one
    0 Rogues (They don't like light so they never change the bulbs)
    1 Summoner - oddly they just pop a new one in
    1 Mage
    8 Bards - they have to sing to it first
    1 Ranger
    4 Fighters cause they keep breaking them

Any of the 4 Parent Races can change a lightbulb on their own

It takes 2028 Tulnar to change one lightbulb. They've never seen such things as indoor plumbing and lightbulbs so they have no idea what to do

hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Let's say you are killed by another player and they steal some of your iron ore. If you are able to return and kill them instead, do you get all your stuff back, assuming they still carry it? If not, I think that should be added to the game. I'd rather not only get a fraction of my stuff back if I manage to get revenge shortly after. Give me all the stuff back as a given, and then some of their stuff on top as well.
    Nerror wrote: »
    Let's say you are killed by another player and they steal some of your iron ore. If you are able to return and kill them instead, do you get all your stuff back, assuming they still carry it? If not, I think that should be added to the game. I'd rather not only get a fraction of my stuff back if I manage to get revenge shortly after. Give me all the stuff back as a given, and then some of their stuff on top as well.

You would get the standard drop % rate for their current flagged state.

If they had your stuff and only your stuff, no you would not get all of it back.
    If they had your stuff and some other stuff, you'd get a % of the stuff they had.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • PiedplatPiedplat Member
    edited August 2020
    I have a question, is there a limit other thanthe mana cost for making a dodge roll? Because I fear a dodge roll fest in pvp fight and seriously I dont want see that.

A second question: Is there a cost for reset your skills points or/and changing secondary class? I hope not...

Thanks for answer. :)
  • FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    Q: How strong will the hard counter between classes be given the rock-paper-scissors balance between classes?

It may be difficult to answer this, so here are some suggestions:
    • Given that the target time to kill is 30 seconds, how fast is the target for a hard counter class to kill its countered class?
    • Is it possible to kill the hard counter? If so, how fast could a countered class kill its hard counter if successful?
    • Should countered classes have utilities such as stealth, teleports, CC, etc. to survive against a hard counter or will the hard counter fully counter by seeing through invisibility, teleporting as well or blocking teleport, etc?
    • How much impact is a secondary class, or changing armor types, or changing weapon types intended to have on dealing with class counters?

• Q: How strong will the hard counter between classes be given the rock-paper-scissors balance between classes?

• Given that the target time to kill is 30 seconds, how fast is the target for a hard counter class to kill its countered class?
    • Is it possible to kill the hard counter? If so, how fast could a countered class kill its hard counter if successful?
    • Should countered classes have utilities such as stealth, teleports, CC, etc. to survive against a hard counter or will the hard counter fully counter by seeing through invisibility, teleporting as well or blocking teleport, etc?
    • How much impact is a secondary class, or changing armor types, or changing weapon types intended to have on dealing with class counters?

The last point is the most important one to ask.
    Piedplat wrote: »
    I have a question, is there a limit other thanthe mana cost for making a dodge roll? Because I fear a dodge roll fest in pvp fight and seriously I dont want see that.

A second question: Is there a cost for reset your skills points or/and changing secondary class? I hope not...

Thanks for answer. :)

They are probably going to move away from the sushi-dodge roll fiesta and move more towards your dodges being incorporated into your skill-sets. More to come on active dodging in the future.

Yes there is a cost for resetting your skill points and changing secondary class. We do not know what the cost is, but we do know you cannot do it on the fly, you have to visit a trainer. So the cost is time, effort, and maybe some currency.
    Q: How strong will the hard counter between classes be given the rock-paper-scissors balance between classes?

1: There are hard counters. There will be some classes where the deck is stacked against you and your odds of winning are minimal. There will be some classes where its a cake walk and you only lose if you derp. The game is not being balanced for 1v1, the game is balanced around group play.

The TTK is 30 seconds to a minute, so a countered class would kill its hard counter close to the floor vs the ceiling.

Everyone can see through Stealth if they are looking. If you are facing your hard counter class, then yes its your HARD counter, for every trick they have a counter, for every juke, they have a response. Hence, why they are your HARD counter class.

The Class, armor types, and changing weapons will have a HUGE impact on dealing with your hard counters. You change one thing, you change them all.

Jahlon's Made up Example:

Archwizards (Mage + Mage) struggle against Charlatans (Rogue + Bards) because the Charlatan build has a number of silences due to their augments. So, Archwizards (already having their secondary) decide to find a master craft who can put +Magey Type states on Heavy Armor. So an Archwizard gets +int, +spell damage +crit (all made up stats) on their Heavy Armor.

This Archwizard also specializes this armor set with silence reduction gems (again made up).

So when this Archwizard is expecting combat with Charlatans or a particular Charlatan (guild war, node war, caravan runner or raider, etc) he swaps his gear to his anti-Charlatan set.

Now, the Hard Counter has been reversed. Instead of the Charlatan being the Hard Counter to the Archwizard, the SPECIALIZED Archwizard has become the hard counter to the Charlatan since he is rolling the hard counter to physical damage and has nullified HIS sub-class by negating his silences.

The issue now is, while the Archwizard has changed himself from a Rock to Scissors in the RPS balancing, while he is in this build, he want from being the Hard Counter to Rangers, Summoners and Bards, he is now the Hard Counter to Fighters, Tanks and Rogues, and is now vulnerable to Summoners, Bards and other Mages.

These were just my contextual examples, we have no knowledge of the specifics, but this should give you a flavor for how you will deal with that.
    CaptnChuck wrote: »

The last point is the most important one to ask.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Jahlon
    Your answer demonstrates why I am asking. I am wondering just how difficult Steven is intending for countered classes to have it. Your answer makes sense, but at this point it is all theory crafting. Do you actually know that a secondary class is intended to alter the balance enough to hard counter a previous hard counter as in your example of an Archmage becoming able to hard counter a type of rouge?

I main mages in MMO's and I am used to being hard countered by burst DPS rouge's stealthing up to me. However, even those situations can be dealt with a lot of the time once you learn the counters. I am just wondering how difficult the intent is for the countered classes.

Your point about the time to kill being near the ceiling of one minute intended is a good one. Essentially, if we can make use of active dodges and damage blocks, then we could do enough damage to win out against their faster kill time.