Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

You got Questions - We Got Answers

Comments

• Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Rekkor that equates to 189 miles per side. If my calcs are right.
  • Will there be a name plate on houses where we can write our names ?
  • DaldDald Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hello. I know if your node fails to defend a siege and is destroyed, the items you had in storage, the gatherables and craftables, can be looted and the furniture and decor items get returned to you when you purchase the next house or apartment. And with the freeholds you get a blueprint to use for your next place.

What if I end up with a piece of loot or gear and I stash it in my storage, what happens to that item? Is it going to be considered one of those items that gets returned to me? If it is a piece of gear which can be equipped, will it be unavailable to me until I get a new place?
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Dald wrote: »
    Hello. I know if your node fails to defend a siege and is destroyed, the items you had in storage, the gatherables and craftables, can be looted and the furniture and decor items get returned to you when you purchase the next house or apartment. And with the freeholds you get a blueprint to use for your next place.

What if I end up with a piece of loot or gear and I stash it in my storage, what happens to that item? Is it going to be considered one of those items that gets returned to me? If it is a piece of gear which can be equipped, will it be unavailable to me until I get a new place?

Loot and gear gets returned to you
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • How does a miner find a vein of ore? For example, does it appear on the mini-map, the world map, do I have to just find it without a radar? Does a miner have a passive / active skill to detect ore? And is a vein of ore a first come first serve or is it specific to a player?

Thanks.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • SentSent Member
    edited September 2020
    Jahlon wrote: »
    And the player move speed is 3.2 m/s sprinting is 6.4 so horses will probably not be that much.
    Source?

Let the horse speed be 6.4 m/s.
    6.4 * 60 * 60 = 23040 m/h ≈ 23km/h. Still not bad.
    √480 ≈ 22, but the world map can be rectangular guys.
  • RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Sent I think he is taking it from this quote from Steven on Discord where he said it was 6.4 m/s for the sprinting speed during apoc.
    Screen-Shot-2020-09-23-at-1-07-14-PM.png

idk where the leap from sprinting to mounted speed came from though.
    2PXdm1m
  • Will Ashes have randomly spawned NPC's with some stuff to buy or trade or maybe special quests to take?
    Like night trader in BDO.
    Or "Manor" in Lineage2.
    Maybe an NPC with lottery game thank you can win (or lose) money.
  • RyufuRyufu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Jahlon Are people able to trade with people who are corrupted if they are not? Or do they have to be both flagged as corrupted. Thanks!
  • GodgearGodgear Member, Intrepid Pack
    question: are we able to customize our armor and weapons ? for example color dye armor like in final fantasy ?
  • FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2020
    Rekkor wrote: »
    Hi Jahlon,

I have a quick question about the world size. 480 square km. Is that just 21.9 km by 21.9 km? Fitting 100+ nodes in this space seems small. Riding a horse at a canter is 16-28 km/h. A large part of the world is water areas. Therefore, it takes well under an hour(15 mins) to travel any continent?

I understand what you were doing now. Although the map is a rectangle, your still pretty close. The approximate dimensions are:
    Length: 26km
    Width: 18.4 km

Reasoning:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/World_map
    Map size: 34 x 24 squares of unknown size = 480km2
    34 / 24 = 1.416666667; which means that the length is 1.416666667 of the width; or, about 142% of the width

Area of rectangle = length * width
    (1.416666667width) * width = 480
    width * width = 480 / 1.416666667
    width² = 338.8235294
    √width² = √338.8235294
    width = 18.40715973

Answer:
    length = 18.40715973 * 1.416666667 = 26.07680962
    width = 18.40715973

To check:
    length * width = area
    (1.416666667 *18.40715973) * 18.40715973 = 480
    480 = 480 ✓

An alternate check is to make sure that the side of each square is the same whether measured along the length or the width.
    length = 26.07680962 divided by the 34 squares of the length is 26.07680962 / 34 = 0.7669649888
    width = 18.40715973 divided by the 24 squares of the width is 18.40715973 / 24 = 0.7669649888 ✓
    The side of each square measures precisely the same; so, the measurement is correct making the total length and width given above correct.

The following was a complete misunderstanding.
    I am not sure where you came up with 21.9 km x 21.9 km. A square kilometer = 1 km x 1 km. https://mathsisfun.com/definitions/square-kilometer.html

So, 480 square km = 480 km x 480 km.
    (<---This is wrong. My bad.) This is a total surface area that does not have to be arranged in a square. See the next couple of posts from Sent and then myself if this does not make sense.

If you meant 480km = 21.9 miles, then no it is not.
    1 kilometer = 0.621371 miles
    Therefore, 480km x 0.621371 = 298.26 miles
  • SentSent Member
    edited September 2020
    I am not sure where you came up with 21.9 km x 21.9 km. A square kilometer = 1 km x 1 km. https://mathsisfun.com/definitions/square-kilometer.html

No.
    In the same site you linked there's an exercise.
    B7eBE2Z.png

As you can see 10km² fit in a 5km by 2km rectangle.

• Rekkor wrote: »
    Hi Jahlon,

I have a quick question about the world size. 480 square km. Is that just 21.9 km by 21.9 km? Fitting 100+ nodes in this space seems small. Riding a horse at a canter is 16-28 km/h. A large part of the world is water areas. Therefore, it takes well under an hour(15 mins) to travel any continent?

That's why you need to listen to parents when they say finish your homework before playing games. :D
    edited September 2020
    Sent wrote: »

No.
    In the same site you linked there's an exercise.
    B7eBE2Z.png

As you can see 10km² fit in 5km by 2km rectangle.

Yes, 10km², fits into the surface of the given shape because the shape is 14km² and 10km² is less than 14km². You left out the top section of the shape when you came up with your answer (perhaps you meant to do that for your point?). If not, you can double check by inputting your answer right next to the picture.
    Sent wrote: »
    As you can see 10km² fit in 5km by 2km rectangle.
    Right. The formula for the area of a rectangle is length x width. You have a length of 5km² and a width of 2km² = 5km² x 2km² = the 10km² that you pointed out.

The purpose of the exercise is to show that the total of squared kilometers can be arranged in a different shape than a square even if you divide a square km between different areas.

I guess that what your trying to get at is that the map does not have to be square to have a surface area of 480km², which is fine. I can see that is not addressed in my earlier post. I updated my post for clarity, thank you.

FYI, the world map that we have been given has a length that is about 142% of the width.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/World_map

EDIT:
    I went ahead and worked out the dimensions of the map to be about 26km in length and 18.4km in width. I added that with my work shown to my previous post since that was the response to the original question.
    edited September 2020
    Mojottv wrote: »
    Hi Jahlon,

That's why you need to listen to parents when they say finish your homework before playing games. :D

I hate to have to say it, but I misunderstood and was completely wrong. :/

I updated the post that you quoted to fix the info.
  • Mojottv wrote: »
    Hi Jahlon,

I hate to have to say it, but I misunderstood and was completely wrong. :(

haha no worries man, it was just a joke :)
  • Will there be scyte/grim reaper weapon?
    Hi Jahlon,

I hate to have to say it, but I misunderstood and was completely wrong. :(

haha no worries man, it was just a joke :)

:smile:
    edited September 2020
    Will there be scyte/grim reaper weapon?

Its not currently listed.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Weapons
  • I'm so happy to have discovered this thread. I'm new to following AoC content and questions are constantly arising and oftentimes immediately being answered as I binge the youtube content and forums. One question I have that I haven't yet found the answer to yet is have the devs outlined exactly what kind of anti-carry mechanics will be in place (if any)? In classic WoW experience gains are based on the average level of all characters in a party, so a max level can easily boost low level characters through low level dungeons at insane xp rates by simply having multiple low levels to bring the average level down to match that of the content being farmed. How will AoC handle this? Additionally for the PvP side of things, I understand a high level will get tons of corruption for killing a low level, but what happens if you have players pvp'ing against players of equal level, but being healed by a max level healer making them near invincible? As an appendage, How does healing/buffing affect corruption in general, regardless of level differences?
    edited October 2020
    There will be a mentoring program to encourage high levels to party with and help low levels. I don't know how that will play out.

"There will be a mentorship program where upper-level players are able to benefit from partying and/or helping lower level players; and getting them situated in the game."
    Source: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Leveling#Mentor_program.2F_level_scaling

The question about healing or buffing players such as you described or even healing mobs to kill players has been argued over a lot on the forums. To my knowledge, there has not been an official statement for this. Only that it will be tested extensively when we get to that point. My personal opinion is that by the time testing concludes on this, all the players involved in healing or damaging the player that would cause corruption upon death will end up with the full corruption amount.

What has been officially stated,
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Corruption
  • Awesome, thanks! Ok another question for anyone that might know. Are there any mechanics to help build community among citizens of a node other than the various personal stakes you have in your node progressing/not being destroyed. For instance a citizen-specific chat, a small xp modifier for partying with node-mates, etc.?
  • @Irohnic you may also want to try the #questions channel on the official Discord server.
  • Hey, do you guys know if the cosmetics will be tradable between players in-game?
  • daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited October 2020
    Zitsugy wrote: »
    Hey, do you guys know if the cosmetics will be tradable between players in-game?

"All cosmetic store items will be non-tradeable"
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Cosmetics

Doesn't specifically mention non-store items, though.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
    edited October 2020
    Zitsugy wrote: »
    Hey, do you guys know if the cosmetics will be tradable between players in-game?

Anything purchased from the store is bound

Also, don't forget when you have questions I stream on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays specifically doing Ashes Q&A just to answer questions. Swing on by if you want to ask a question and get a indepth answer.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • I've read through the wiki article on flagging, and understand that killing a non-combatant flags you as corrupted.

But I wonder what if the killing was done by a group? e.g. players ABC are ganking D who doesn't fight back. D dies. Who gets flagged as corrupted?

A who landed the first hit?
    B who's done the most damage to D?
    C who's dealt the killing blow?
    Or all of ABC gets corruption?
    I've read through the wiki article on flagging, and understand that killing a non-combatant flags you as corrupted.

But I wonder what if the killing was done by a group? e.g. players ABC are ganking D who doesn't fight back. D dies. Who gets flagged as corrupted?

A who landed the first hit?
    B who's done the most damage to D?
    C who's dealt the killing blow?
    Or all of ABC gets corruption?

The person who delivers the death blow is currently the one who gets corruption.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • Do you know if mobs can take falling / environmental damage? For instance, if I pull 6 mobs and use a knockback on a cliff - will they die at the bottom?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Do you know if mobs can take falling / environmental damage? For instance, if I pull 6 mobs and use a knockback on a cliff - will they die at the bottom?

There is falling damage for players, but I do not know about for mobs

and that is an awesome signature.... i sorta hate you for it
    hpsmlCJ.jpg