Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Do you want "Daily Quests" if so, to what extent?

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2019
    noaani wrote: »
    How are daily quest rewards supposed to help a node if they don't reward experience?
    If you had adequate reading comprehension and decent logic, you would understand the benefit to the Node, caravan, temple, etc., is the result of stacking from everyone who completes the Daily.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Dygz wrote: »
    How are daily quest rewards supposed to help a node if they don't reward experience?
    If you had adequate reading comprehension and decent logic, you would understand the benefit to the Node, caravan, temple, etc., is the result of stacking from everyone who completes the Daily.

Stacking what though?

The only thing we know that players contribute to a node is experience for leveling, and tax which is most likely housing based. If I go out and earn some gold or chop down some wood, that is none of the nodes business.

Anything else is simply you making baseless assumptions on game systems that you think will be in place, and then arguing about other game systems based on those assumptions.

So once again I ask, what is it you think is stacking from everyone completing these daily quests of yours?
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2019
    For some reason, it is past your comprehension that what players do actually impacts and changes the world.
    The Ashes world is dynamic; not static.
    A Daily Quest to kill one Sladeborne is not just about how that affects the individual player character, it's also about how that depletes the population of Sladeborne and how that depletion affects the Node/region. A Daily Quest to harvest 5 plain wood is not just about how completing the quest affects the individual player character, it's also about how the Node uses that wood to complete repairs or the construction of specific buildings or caravans.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    For some reason, it is past your comprehension that what players do actually impacts and changes the world.
    A Daily Quest to kill one Sladeborne is not just about how that affects the individual player character, it's also about how that depletes the population of Sladeborne and how that depletion affects the Node/region. A Daily Quest to harvest 5 plain wood is not just about how completing the quest affects the individual player character, it's also about how the Node uses that wood to complete repairs or the construction of specific buildings or caravans.

Did Intrepid ever clarify which activities advance the nodes? For example if I go out into the forest and chop down a tree, will the act of me chopping the tree help advance the node? Or is it that I need to give the wood I collected to the NPCs in the node in order to help advance it?
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2019

if I chop down 5 wood, I have that wood.

The node doesn't have that wood.

If I kill a Sladeborne, before long another one will spawn to replace it. If not, it will be a matter of minutes after launch before all Sladeborne are killed.

You are making up game systems and then arguing how others should work based on what you have made up yourself.

The ONLY things we know for sure that players contribute to a node is tax (which we do not know the exact method of, but property tax is most likely) and experience (which is awarded to the node in control of the area in which a player gains experience, regardless of that players affiliation).

You do not get to make shit up and then claim poor reading comprehension because others haven't made the same shit up.
  • Options

If I kill a Sladeborne, before long another one will spawn to replace it. If not, it will be a matter of minutes after launch before all Sladeborne are killed.

You are making up game systems and then arguing how others should work based on what you have made up yourself.

The ONLY things we know for sure that players contribute to a node is tax (which we do not know the exact method of, but property tax is most likely) and experience (which is awarded to the node in control of the area in which a player gains experience, regardless of that players affiliation).

You do not get to make shit up and then claim poor reading comprehension because others haven't made the same shit up.

I don't know if this will apply to animals but the original plan for gatherable resources was to put them into clusters, and once the cluster is depleted it could respawn anywhere in the world. So Dygz is right in the fact that you harvesting resources will affect the world and the other players in it, particularly when it comes to rarer resources. You cannot guarantee that a particular resource will be available in your zone of influence when you need it.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options

I don't know if this will apply to animals but the original plan for gatherable resources was to put them into clusters, and once the cluster is depleted it could respawn anywhere in the world. So Dygz is right in the fact that you harvesting resources will affect the world and the other players in it, particularly when it comes to rarer resources. You cannot guarantee that a particular resource will be available in your zone of influence when you need it.

That part is absolutely correct.

The part he is wrong about is basically anything to do with daily quests. And also anything to do with node advancement.

The funny thing about all of this is that with a dynamic world, 10 minute daily quests aren't really possible. You may have known where wood or a specific mob was found yesterday, but there is no guarantee it will be there today, and there are no quest pointers to help you.
  • Options

The part he is wrong about is basically anything to do with daily quests. And also anything to do with node advancement.

The funny thing about all of this is that with a dynamic world, 10 minute daily quests aren't really possible. You may have known where wood or a specific mob was found yesterday, but there is no guarantee it will be there today, and there are no quest pointers to help you.

It depends HOW they do the dailies. If they tried to put WoW-style dailies into Ashes they wouldn't work due to the dynamic nature of the world, but GW2-style dailies could work if implemented properly. When it comes to creating short-duration activities in an mmorpg you really have to think outside the box based on what is happening in the world.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2019

It depends HOW they do the dailies. If they tried to put WoW-style dailies into Ashes they wouldn't work due to the dynamic nature of the world, but GW2-style dailies could work if implemented properly. When it comes to creating short-duration activities in an mmorpg you really have to think outside the box based on what is happening in the world.

I'm fairly convinced that the most important thing to do in a game like Ashes is drop the notion of "daily" all together.

There are many things Intrepid could do to add in short duration content, and none of them need to be restricted to being done once per day.

Once you lift that shackle off short duration content, so many more possibilities open up.