Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

DPS Meter Megathread

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Bolorny wrote: »

Done with the dps meters threads ! Next !

This is an odd thing to say when you are starting a new combat tracker thread.

The issue with all of this is that thing that you are saying we should do, that is exactly what I originally started arguing we should be able to do.

However, we can't.

This game will not have a .txt log file like that. If it did, there would have never been any threads on this matter.

The idea to put it in game was a compromise from that position, not the original goal.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    We are never done with the DPS Meter Threads, because no matter how many times they are told 'No, not going to happen' they continue to whine like little children and throw temper tantrums and make threats.

Most people would just keep quiet and chip away, but no, the e-peen people must make the threats in some vain attempt to display misguided superiority. They couldn't learn to play without extra tools elsewhere and they want those extra tools in Ashes or 'Ashes won't be good'. What a bland and bothersome escapade we keep repeating.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    We are never done with the DPS Meter Threads, because no matter how many times they are told 'No, not going to happen' they continue to whine like little children and throw temper tantrums and make threats.
    I'm sure that was directed at me, which is fine.

I just want to point out, I have never stareted a thread on this topic.

I am, however, a master of carrying on conversations.
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Aaaaaand we are off!
  • Options
    KrojakKrojak Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So, you want a DPS meter. Just not an active one. You want to have all the information parsed out so that the elitists can say they did amazingly (or had a bad day, bad internet, not my fault) and the other person was suxorz.
    Why not just ask for full DPS meters. The only difference with this is that you don't know until after the fight who you need to shame.

If you think this is about shaming people, you've misinterpreted the purpose of the OP. I also fear that you've been running with the wrong kinds of guilds/groups if this is your view on raiding.
  • Options
    Samson wrote: »
    darthus wrote: »
    In all major current MMOs out there, addons are made by the community and improved the gameplay by a lot.

Specifically for the damage meters, it is a fundamental feature for competitive gameplay and keeps people focused, in most cases (including myself). Even during the battle you can altered your rotation to improve your dps, and is a good way to spot mistakes.

Also, dps meters are optional feature. If you don't like it, you don't use. But forcing others not to use it , by telling the studio to disable it, is an ill request.

Remember - Whatever works in the past, it is good to keep it that way for the future. History is a great teacher for many things

It's already been stated many..many times by Steven that there will be no add-ons or DPS meters in the game.

This is true. It's already an established fact that the devs won't support third party addons. I can also see the argument against the DPS meter as it pulls attention away from the game/fight/mechanics, which is why I'm proposing this compromise.
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    krojak wrote: »
    So, you want a DPS meter. Just not an active one. You want to have all the information parsed out so that the elitists can say they did amazingly (or had a bad day, bad internet, not my fault) and the other person was suxorz.
    Why not just ask for full DPS meters. The only difference with this is that you don't know until after the fight who you need to shame.

If you think this is about shaming people, you've misinterpreted the purpose of the OP. I also fear that you've been running with the wrong kinds of guilds/groups if this is your view on raiding.

Nope, just been ruining my mind by reading all of the 'We need a DPS meter / parser / damage report threads. According to a lot of people, that is what happens. I have been very lucky to have found guilds where people are mostly very nice.
  • Options
    krojak wrote: »

Nope, just been ruining my mind by reading all of the 'We need a DPS meter / parser / damage report threads. According to a lot of people, that is what happens. I have been very lucky to have found guilds where people are mostly very nice.

That's awesome, I'm glad you've had those positive experiences. My guilds have been pretty cool and chill too.
  • Options
    Pl1xPl1x Member
    We are waiting for a game that looks amazing, but every 3rd thread is about damage meters....
    Really? Does every game have to be elitist minmaxing e-sport game?

Can we please discuss other things?
  • Options
    Pl1x wrote: »
    We are waiting for a game that looks amazing, but every 3rd thread is about damage meters....

How about combat trackers?
  • Options
    mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

you're new here so let me tell you how it is: new people dont want to use same thread so they remake once a day. The forum admins dont want to enforce spam code of conduct rule so said users can go on doing this. Lastly, what are your views on multi boxing?
    E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    YuyukoyayYuyukoyay Member
    edited August 2020
    As long as there is relatively obvious push back against the idea they won't consider it though. There is a slight chance they could change their mind otherwise, but I don't think DPS meters accomplish anything in the game. A good player can get a grasp of how much damage they are doing without one. So you will probably be able to get a good look at if you are playing the class correctly or not.

I'm against them because I don't want to use them. If they are in the game I'm going to be forced to use them.

Also there are going to be a lot of class combinations that will be good that won't be able to use them. There are probably going to be a lot of classes that bring utility that the stats are blind to. Like how in classic WoW Paladins did the most damage in the game that can't be tracked by the game because it was through buffs.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Pl1xPl1x Member
    edited August 2020
    noaani wrote: »

How about combat trackers?

Not sure how they work, are they like the logs in wow?

It's probably better, but i wouldn't mind if they dropped both.
    Enjoy the game, if you fail on a boss try to change something, have fun.
    That's what i think they want us to do.

My point, though, is that i wish there would be other discussions on this forum, or keep all the dps meter shit in the same thread, and not generate new threads for every thought you have on the subject.
  • Options
    Bolorny wrote: »
    (Almost) Every game has chat text recordable as .txt log files.
    Set your chat windows to make a tab dedicated to combat logs only, record it, parse it, and voilà ! You'll have your dps meter... just not in game, aside from it.

Text parsers are fairly easy to code, I'm assuming someone in the community will do it and share it with everyone, no doubt about it.
    That's how we did it in Everquest, 21 years ago.

And so, both people who want and don't want dick-o-meters will be happy.

Done with the dps meters threads ! Next !

You can't use third party add ons. If you only have a chat window with the information this means you need to manually enter this data elsewhere to analyze it. If you try to automate this process, I believe this is an addon scraping the IS client.
    If someone finds a way, then you just get a tracker after the combat is done and analyze data anyway.

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Daedrik45 wrote: »
    Oh ok makes sense, the meter used on wow actually has different stats like for example. Dps, hps and I believe a few other things. People underestimate the trauma wow refugees suffer from lol the struggle is real.

Yes, Noanni loves to twist the concepts. Damage Received calculates the Damage Per Second taken.

Only Noobs need a tool to tell them not to stand in lava.

not even noobs in most cases it fools
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Oh look yet ANOTHER dps thread
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »

no no no...this one's different. More different than

this one ,or this one,or this one,or THIS one.

(only went back 2 pages with last updated of 8/1 to get those links.
    E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    mrwaffles wrote: »
    you're new here so let me tell you how it is: new people dont want to use same thread so they remake once a day. The forum admins dont want to enforce spam code of conduct rule so said users can go on doing this. Lastly, what are your views on multi boxing?

Masterful. Hahahah
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I just want to point out, I have never stareted a thread on this topic.

I am, however, a master of carrying on conversations.

That you are. :smiley:
  • Options
    ShaladoorShaladoor Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Daedrik45
    I did a dps meter experiment this morning on wow!!

You're still playing WoW... *hug* Hang in there buddy, better days are on the horizon.
  • Options
    mrwaffles wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

no no no...this one's different. More different than

this one ,or this one,or this one,or THIS one.

(only went back 2 pages with last updated of 8/1 to get those links.

you're right this is completely different
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options

I just want to point out, I have never stareted a thread on this topic..

This is true and I respect that. I've spammed the forums with more posts than you and I've only been here for a week or so.
  • Options

I just want to point out, I have never stareted a thread on this topic..

This is true and I respect that. I've spammed the forums with more posts than you and I've only been here for a week or so.

Me too. xD
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    NyxSidusNyxSidus Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    As long as there is relatively obvious push back against the idea they won't consider it though. There is a slight chance they could change their mind otherwise, but I don't think DPS meters accomplish anything in the game. A good player can get a grasp of how much damage they are doing without one. So you will probably be able to get a good look at if you are playing the class correctly or not.

I'm against them because I don't want to use them. If they are in the game I'm going to be forced to use them.

Also there are going to be a lot of class combinations that will be good that won't be able to use them. There are probably going to be a lot of classes that bring utility that the stats are blind to. Like how in classic WoW Paladins did the most damage in the game that can't be tracked by the game because it was through buffs.

parsers can check that now. look at dancer in ff14 XD, also if youre a high end guild you cant get a "feel" for your dmg as opposed to others if youre in a pure dps role. if you feel your class combo is sub par to another you have limited ways to test yourself against others. they need to find a happy medium between the pros and cons of a dps meter
  • Options
    No combat tracker means all PvE content will be less complex, and thus easier to figure out. Players like myself will use combat trackers not because it gives us an dvantage, but because it will - in time - force Intrepid to accept their use just as happened in GW2.

Imagine approaching Dark Souls or Monster Hunter with that attitude. "Unless the game forces me to parse invisible data, it's not complex enough mechanics". Ridiculous.
    You could argue that a tool akin to DBM goes against the design direction of Ashes, but having access to information is absolutely consistent with everything else in the game.

It's about having perfect information, when the world is trying to convey itself as natural, breathing. Having imperfect information is part of life and informs so many decisions we make as humans, taking that uncertainty away just turns it all into a math problem.
  • Options

Most people would just keep quiet and chip away, but no, the e-peen people must make the threats in some vain attempt to display misguided superiority. They couldn't learn to play without extra tools elsewhere and they want those extra tools in Ashes or 'Ashes won't be good'. What a bland and bothersome escapade we keep repeating.

I believe it's happening because Steven has been doing all those interviews with very popular streamers and keeps saying to bring feedback to them and come talk in the forums. So that's what they are doing, they want dps meters so they are talking about them. Are they doing it the best way and reading past threads and adding to them? No, but the fact that there are these many threads just shows how important this topic is to many MMORPG players.

I've played MMOs with and without DPS meters and I've played BDO which doesn't even show a number when you hit someone or something, I'm fine with either decision .If the game is fun people will play it meters or not. I'm not sure if it's even a debatable thing, but since Steven says they want all the feedback possible then here we are lol.
  • Options
    Well in pvp you will be getting destroyed in mirror matchups and be wondering why. Since pvp is going to be forced more or less then it's going to happen eventually. Also high end guilds do have a sense of when their damage isn't enough. It's tied to why they are high end in the first place. Once you learn what each class is capable of at their best then you can make a prediction on mass if your guild is doing good or not.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    KtGbhYU.gif
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    NyxSidusNyxSidus Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    Well in pvp you will be getting destroyed in mirror matchups and be wondering why. Since pvp is going to be forced more or less then it's going to happen eventually. Also high end guilds do have a sense of when their damage isn't enough. It's tied to why they are high end in the first place. Once you learn what each class is capable of at their best then you can make a prediction on mass if your guild is doing good or not.

but you cant tell who is lacking in dps and how they have to improve if you cant see a physical representation.