Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dealing with random player killing in an open-world PvP MMO.

Comments

• Options
    I disagree that you have this ability and I think it's fairly obvious you've failed to exhibit that at any point in any thread you've been a part of.

Keep fighting that good fight "for the other players" while you start every sentence with "I", I think there are other people who probably agree with you but I would wager that none of you have truly played an open world PvP game that didn't have restrictions on levels, factions or simply limit it to arena pvp. It's hard to have perspective on things you've never seen especially if you can't process what most of us appear to be saying regarding it.
    Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    (Yes same Tyrantor from Shadowbane)
    Book suggestions:
    Galaxy Outlaws books 1-16.5, Metagamer Chronicles, The Land litrpg series, Ready Player One, Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Options
    Honestly, RPKing is part of the game. it is something that is put in on purpose, and unless it makes the game impossible to play, they wont change it.

Its not RPKing that I care about. Its methods of griefing that circumvent the corruption system that I'm concerned about.
  • Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited September 2020
    Tyrantor wrote: »
    I disagree that you have this ability and I think it's fairly obvious you've failed to exhibit that at any point in any thread you've been a part of.

Keep fighting that good fight "for the other players" while you start every sentence with "I", I think there are other people who probably agree with you but I would wager that none of you have truly played an open world PvP game that didn't have restrictions on levels, factions or simply limit it to arena pvp. It's hard to have perspective on things you've never seen especially if you can't process what most of us appear to be saying regarding it.

I don't care about your personal hate towards me. I'm used to idiots like you. If everyone disagreed with me, I wouldn't be posting here. When I make posts, I make it based on my opinions. If I see people accept it, then cool. If you disagree, then that's fine as well. But if you're flat out wrong, like you're in this thread, I won't accept your statements cuz they're just blatantly stupid.

You're supporting griefing just cuz it existed in other games. You want harmful behavior like that to be solved by players, which is a super inconsistent variable. Sometimes you start out new and alone, sometimes you don't have friends that play the game, sometimes you'll be logging in at an unpopular time. All of these cases cannot be dealt with by "player help".

Since you guys can't keep context in mind, I'm referring to THE SITUATION. NONE of this applies to PKing.

I'm not going to quote it again.

Also, its pretty much just you guys, @Tyrantor, and @Bricktop that commonly disagree with me. But because you're more vocal, you come off as the majority. A lot of people don't like conflict and wish to avoid it, that ain't me.

I'm done arguing on this thread. I know I'm right on this one, and if you think differently, you will agree with me the moment you experience it in game. But fear not, Intrepid won't do something stupid like that and let players decide how to stop methods that circumvent griefing.

Its like asking people to punish people that get reported. So stupid. Can't believe I'm even arguing over a topic that only has a single clear answer to it. And if you don't know or if you have a different answer, that answer is to Let Intrepid Fix it. Plain and simple.

Also no, you're right. I can't see another perspective, at least not on this thread. There's only one definitive answer to it, which I stated above. End of story.
  • Options
    CaptnChuck wrote: »

I don't care about your personal hate towards me. I'm used to idiots like you. If everyone disagreed with me, I wouldn't be posting here. When I make posts, I make it based on my opinions. If I see people accept it, then cool. If you disagree, then that's fine as well. But if you're flat out wrong, like you're in this thread, I won't accept your statements cuz they're just blatantly stupid.

You're supporting griefing just cuz it existed in other games. You want harmful behavior like that to be solved by players, which is a super inconsistent variable. Sometimes you start out new and alone, sometimes you don't have friends that play the game, sometimes you'll be logging in at an unpopular time. All of these cases cannot be dealt with by "player help".

Since you guys can't keep context in mind, I'm referring to THE SITUATION. NONE of this applies to PKing.

I'm not going to quote it again.

Also, its pretty much just you guys, @Tyrantor, and @Bricktop that commonly disagree with me. But because you're more vocal, you come off as the majority.

I'm done arguing on this thread. I know I'm right on this one, and if you think differently, you will agree with me the moment you experience it in game. But fear not, Intrepid won't do something stupid like that and let players decide how to stop methods that circumvent griefing.

Its like asking people to punish people that get reported. So stupid. Can't believe I'm even arguing over a topic that only has a single clear answer to it. And if you don't know or if you have a different answer, that answer is to Let Intrepid Fix it. Plain and simple.

Nice job man, another forum battle under your belt chock full of name calling and smugness. You can sleep well tonight knowing you defended all these hordes of players agreeing with you.
  • Options
    VyrakaVyraka Member, Alpha One
    I think the sane people are done here. Good luck!
    Axiom-Guild-Signature-Vyraka.png
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    edited September 2020

You have no idea what other people has played or wants, you don't know them.

I like PvP and I have played pvp open world games, and enjoyed it.
    The problem is that we demand challenging PvE, very hard stat-wise bosses and dungeons. Not PvP as an excuse to make it more difficult.

And then people get triggered instanly when others talk about wanting good quality PvE. We like the game, we are gonna play the game and we will do good on PvP trust me, but we want memorable PvE. All these big mouth "PvP tough guys" in the forum are gonna get destroyed by people who care about PvE.

Stop the nonsense, getting triggered and calling people carebears for wanting quality PvE.
  • Options
    BricktopBricktop Member
    edited September 2020
    Marcet wrote: »

The problem is that we demand challenging PvE, very hard stat-wise bosses and dungeons. Not PvP as an excuse to make it more difficult.

And then people get triggered instanly when others talk about wanting good quality PvE. We like the game, we are gonna play the game and we will do good on PvP trust me, but we want memorable PvE. All these big mouth "PvP tough guys" in the forum are gonna get destroyed by people who care about PvE.

Stop the nonsense, getting triggered and calling people carebears for wanting quality PvE.

This is the guise you all use. I have called time and time again for challenging, unique PvE. Anybody paying attention will take notice how there are dozens of posts floating around with suggestions to maintain the integrity of the open world, and also have challenging PvE. None of that is ever good enough though for a certain select few, oh no no no. The only thing good enough are MORE instances and the best gear in the game coming from them.

I could do what you all do, and whine and cry and lead forum crusades about the 20% instancing and talk about how it isn't a true open world game and how that hurts PvPers and "PvP focused progression". But I don't do that because i respect the vision of the devs
  • Options

This thread is about PvP not PvE so I am on topic with my discussion here. Furthermore incase you do not understand what the word "wager" means, it means that I bet neither of those words mean "know".

If you want to have a discussion about instanced PvE feel free to tag me in an appropriate thread for it instead of you and @CaptnChuck always hi jacking other topics to turn everything into PvE saftey discussion.

Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    Book suggestions:
    Galaxy Outlaws books 1-16.5, Metagamer Chronicles, The Land litrpg series, Ready Player One, Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Options
    You can't stop player griefing and have PVP at the same time. It's literally impossible. We had this problem in Ultima Online. Their solution: Split the world into 2 parallel universes, 1 dimension for Trammel where it was only PvE, the second dimension of Fel which was PvP and PvE.

The end result, many Pkers only played in Fel, but 95% of the community played in Trammel. So at the end of the day, PKers (Reds-same thing as AoC...which is probably why they chose the term) would sit by the portals and wait for anybody to enter and would gank you almost 80-90% of the time. Doing this made Fel a no go zone and hordes of Reds would chase and grief you. Another issue arose was a shortage of player housing in Tram, so people were forced to live in Fel, you could have door campers invisible attacking you as soon as you tried to run off. At the end of it, they introduced new raids in Fel that made more people visit the PvP dimension, the end result to that was at the end of a raid, a zerg army of Reds would come in and kill everyone to get the rare loot which was super annoying.

One thing to note which I wish AoC would change, if you play as a Red PKer in AoC, you should have FULL loot drop. I'm no fan of the debuff around being a PKer, its not fair IMO and would actually drive less PVP. You would then be more worried about the Green (non combatant) that might randomly attack you out of nowhere. At Least in UO you had a good idea who you could trust. But then again, if a non combatant or combatant attacked a regular or joe, what is the point of doing PvP if there is no loot drop that's of value besides the satisfaction of Pking someone for no reason.

xKMTkyZ.jpg
  • Options
    Bricktop wrote: »

This is the guise you all use. I have called time and time again for challenging, unique PvE. Anybody paying attention will take notice how there are dozens of posts floating around with suggestions to maintain the integrity of the open world, and also have challenging PvE. None of that is ever good enough though for a certain select few, oh no no no. The only thing good enough are MORE instances and the best gear in the game coming from them.

I could do what you all do, and whine and cry and lead forum crusades about the 20% instancing and talk about how it isn't a true open world game and how that hurts PvPers and "PvP focused progression". But I don't do that because i respect the vision of the devs

Man im sorry but you are too triggered already by countless arguments you had with other people. My personal vision is how the devs want it and I respect their game, im just asking for well crafted and memorable PvE.
  • Options

Man im sorry but you are too triggered already by countless arguments you had with other people. My personal vision is how the devs want it and I respect their game, im just asking for well crafted and memorable PvE.

As am I, and i'm asking you don't kill off the open world in your pursuit for challenging PvE.
  • Options

This thread is about PvP not PvE so I am on topic with my discussion here. Furthermore incase you do not understand what the word "wager" means, it means that I bet neither of those words mean "know".

If you want to have a discussion about instanced PvE feel free to tag me in an appropriate thread for it instead of you and @CaptnChuck always hi jacking other topics to turn everything into PvE saftey discussion.

You haven't read at all my post, and I think you are quite emotional on this argument already.

I didn't said anything about PvE safety, nothing.
    I didn't said anything about less PvP, and I don't know this captn guy at all. I think you are a lil bit in your own head.

I just ask for amazing PvE, not safety. I respect the devs and their work, I like the game.
  • Options
    BricktopBricktop Member
    edited September 2020

You haven't read at all my post, and I think you are quite emotional on this argument already.

I didn't said anything about PvE safety, nothing.
    I didn't said anything about less PvP, and I don't know this captn guy at all. I think you are a lil bit in your own head.

I just ask for amazing PvE, not safety. I respect the devs and their work, I like the game.

Haha how on earth do you get emotions from peoples posts? I think you are projecting right now.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @Marcet Don't even bother. You're wasting your time. They think that they're in the majority cuz they're more vocal about their opinions. Even if people do start to speak out against some of the bullshit that @Bricktop and @Tyrantor come up with, they'll never understand. Cuz they're children and they refuse to at least try to comprehend other people's opinions.

Leave PvE difficulty behind, look at how adamant they are when it comes to a topic like griefing. I gave a clear cut situation that had ONE clear cut answer to it. LET INTREPID FIX THE CORRUPTION SYSTEM. Instead, for some reason that I don't know of, they're insistent on wanting players to solve griefing, something that is almost guaranteed to not be consistent for a variety of reasons.

I explained why in detail, over and over again, yet they refused to even try to comprehend it.

The ONE thing that they and @Vyraka and @Mojottv are good at, is NOT COMPREHENDING another person's perspective AT ALL. All of them, despite me saying REPEATEDLY otherwise, seem to think that I'm against PKing and that I think killing someone is griefing. This is largely because of their PRECONCEIVED notion of me as someone who is a "carebear".

I'm positive that AoC will find the right way to solve griefing without compromising on PvP. The only way to give these people a reality check, is to prove them wrong. And I can't wait to do so.
  • Options
    @Marcet Don't even bother. You're wasting your time. They think that they're in the majority cuz they're more vocal about their opinions. Even if people do start to speak out against some of the bullshit that @Bricktop and @Tyrantor come up with, they'll never understand. Cuz they're children and they refuse to at least try to comprehend other people's opinions.

Leave PvE difficulty behind, look at how adamant they are when it comes to a topic like griefing. I gave a clear cut situation that had ONE clear cut answer to it. LET INTREPID FIX THE CORRUPTION SYSTEM. Instead, for some reason that I don't know of, they're insistent on wanting players to solve griefing, something that is almost guaranteed to not be consistent for a variety of reasons.

I explained why in detail, over and over again, yet they refused to even try to comprehend it.

The ONE thing that they and @Vyraka and @Mojottv are good at, is NOT COMPREHENDING another person's perspective AT ALL. All of them, despite me saying repeatedly otherwise, seem to think that I'm against PKing and that I think killing someone is griefing. This is largely because of their PRECONCEIVED notion of me as someone who is a "carebear".

L2's karma system wasn't sufficient and these idiots seem to think that it was. I'm however positive that AoC will find the right way to solve griefing without compromising on PvP. The only way to give these people a reality check, is to prove them wrong. And I can't wait to do so.

A true forum warrior the world has never seen the likes of. Plenty of name calling and iamverysmart in this one, that's always a great way to get people to agree with you. I already told you i don't agree with your definition of grieifing. I await your massive response assuring me you are indeed extremely smart and right.
  • Options

This is the point in an open world game designed around political conflict, it will fuel castle and node sieges, guild wars, caravan raids and on the smallest absolute scale player griefing. The whole point in the system is to let players resolve the issue IN game. Your paragraph here shows exactly how little you understand when it comes to this topic, you should really stick to the instanced PVE conversations so you can pound your chest with confidence that you're the best PVE player in the world.

The game is designed so you have to resolve the issue yourself it's literally the core design of the game, you've been missing the point when people are saying "Open world pvp" is the core design. No the actual design is for YOU the player to figure out how to play the game within the scenarios that unfold on the server your in.

If the level 20 picks on you, get someone bigger to pick on him (OR) you get bigger and deal with it yourself, sure there are going to be snags along the way and sure you'll die to get this unfair odds they had more people, they were higher level, they had better gear, build their characters better or they know how to mash their buttons better etc. At the end of the day that's what it is. If you notice it's a specific group farming you - try to join their guild maybe that resolves it or maybe you see them fighting with another guild and want to join their enemy maybe that resolves it or mabe you just have to tuck your tail like a litte and move across the map because well "not fair" or of course you can re-roll on a new server because someone picked on you maybe one server has a massive RP playerbase and there are less people in the world picking on poor @CaptnChuck

Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    Book suggestions:
  • Options
    @CaptnChuck You have a serious narcissistic personality problem going on. You are so full of yourself that you don't even realize how much of a fool you are making yourself look. I would step away from the forums for a few days, you need a break.
    SIG.png
    We are recruiting PvPers!
  • Options
    bigepeenbigepeen Member
    edited September 2020

Why did you come into a thread about PvP and try to completely derail it into another discussion about PvE? Did you read the title "Dealing with random player killing in an open-world PvP MMO"?

The ONE thing that they and @Vyraka and @Mojottv are good at, is NOT COMPREHENDING another person's perspective AT ALL. All of them, despite me saying REPEATEDLY otherwise, seem to think that I'm against PKing and that I think killing someone is griefing. This is largely because of their PRECONCEIVED notion of me as someone who is a "carebear".

I'm positive that AoC will find the right way to solve griefing without compromising on PvP. The only way to give these people a reality check, is to prove them wrong. And I can't wait to do so.

You're mischaracterizing us as being unable to comprehend that griefing will be possible with the corruption system. You say "I explained why in detail, over and over again, yet they refused to even try to comprehend it". But this is not true. I and everyone else understands the issue. I even tried to figure out a solution, but I didn't consider all the ramifications of my solution, so it was rightly pointed out as something that shouldn't be implemented. The carebear's solution is to get rid of player freedom (which is a big part of this game), and the solution of the majority, who like open world PvP, is to rely on being social (player interaction is much better in games with open world PvP). We need games that give players more agency, rather than authoritarian rules punishing everyone because of a few bad actors. It's not a huge deal if someone griefs you, get stronger or get some help, then fight back.
  • Options
    If a level 50 wants to follow around a level 30 and smack him for 4 hours and keep him at 10% HP, that's the biggest waste of life I have ever heard of, but also his prerogative. Just because it isn't fun for you doesn't mean it should be gotten rid of. Why do you get to dictate how that person has fun in an open world MMO?

Yea my bad @Bricktop . I'm sure that that is a FUN experience for other people. I'm the ONLY one who won't enjoy that.

Jesus, what kind of people am I talking with. It feels like I'm talking to children.

Some people ENJOY ruining a person's experience. It isn't "wasting time to them". They enjoy the other person's sadness/dissapointment/anger. I can't believe that you think that that's ok and should be allowed in game. I vehemently disagree with you. Killing players is fine, but continuous griefing? Hell no.

Yes they do, and it's all just part of the open world experience to me chucky.

Listen brickhead, it ain't. Just because the game is open world, it shouldn't support negative behavior like that.

And guess what? It won't. This situation that I suggested, will be addressed by Intrepid and won't be left to be dealt with by players. I'll PM you then to see your reaction. Can't wait.

oh man, best part of this pvp system, is that if run in into people like you ingame, i will be able to grief your ass till you decide to take a break or stay in town making furniture n shit....wouldnt even care if i drop my shit...
  • Options
    Mojottv wrote: »
    If a level 50 wants to follow around a level 30 and smack him for 4 hours and keep him at 10% HP, that's the biggest waste of life I have ever heard of, but also his prerogative. Just because it isn't fun for you doesn't mean it should be gotten rid of. Why do you get to dictate how that person has fun in an open world MMO?

Yea my bad @Bricktop . I'm sure that that is a FUN experience for other people. I'm the ONLY one who won't enjoy that.

Jesus, what kind of people am I talking with. It feels like I'm talking to children.

Some people ENJOY ruining a person's experience. It isn't "wasting time to them". They enjoy the other person's sadness/dissapointment/anger. I can't believe that you think that that's ok and should be allowed in game. I vehemently disagree with you. Killing players is fine, but continuous griefing? Hell no.

Listen brickhead, it ain't. Just because the game is open world, it shouldn't support negative behavior like that.

And guess what? It won't. This situation that I suggested, will be addressed by Intrepid and won't be left to be dealt with by players. I'll PM you then to see your reaction. Can't wait.

oh man, best part of this pvp system, is that if run in into people like you ingame, i will be able to grief your ass till you decide to take a break or stay in town making furniture n shit....wouldnt even care if i drop my shit...

He's the type of person that won't take a break or try to solve his own problems... He will run to the forums and make 50 whine posts about it and demand IS solve the issues for him the way he wants them solved.
    SIG.png
    We are recruiting PvPers!
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    To say that I can't find the words is misleading. I can, but I think it would be a waste of my time. @CaptnChuck clearly has a narrow vision of certain people and what they have to say.
    I believe @Xlys is right in Chuck needing to take a break.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Xyls wrote: »

He's the type of person that won't take a break or try to solve his own problems... He will run to the forums and make 50 whine posts about it and demand IS solve the issues for him the way he wants them solved.

@Xyls

What? Literally my last post discussed a problem and ways to solve it. I can't come up with solutions for EVERYTHING. I merely stated a workaround. I didn't have a definitive way to solve it without sacrificing certain aspects of PvP. If I do come up with one though, I'll tell you.

And trust me, it will be way better than the bs that you came up with.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @bigepeen

I mean, I was the first one to say that giving corruption when you attack is not the best idea.

Also yes, maybe not you, but the rest of them thought that by griefing I was referring to random PKing and not the abuse that I mentioned above. It clearly showed in their replies.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

@Mojottv

What? People like you should just stick to talking without comprehending. When it comes to actual PvP, I'll murder you.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Vyraka wrote: »
    To say that I can't find the words is misleading. I can, but I think it would be a waste of my time. @CaptnChuck clearly has a narrow vision of certain people and what they have to say.

@Vyraka

You should prob re-word your reply to "I didn't understand the context of @CaptnChuck 's replies, but I'm not going to admit it. Instead I'm going to say that its a waste of my time in order to avoid saying that I was wrong, and that I didn't know that he wasn't referring to PKing and was instead referring to a particular situation that circumvented the corruption system".

There you go, fixed it for you.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @Tyrantor

Sorry man, I'm not even gonna read your reply. Its prob just some weak insult or something.

I'm never going to read 3 paras from a guy who thought that implementing boss mechanics in an open world is the same as implementing them in an instanced one. You're beyond repair.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

@Vyraka

You should prob re-word your reply to "I didn't understand the context of @CaptnChuck 's replies, but I'm not going to admit it. Instead I'm going to say that its a waste of my time in order to avoid saying that I was wrong, and that I didn't know that he wasn't referring to PKing and was instead referring to a particular situation that circumvented the corruption system".

There you go, fixed it for you.

No, that isn't what I meant at all. But I do realize in your delusional world that you project upon others that is what I was thinking.

I was thinking more along the lines that you seem like an emotional teenager, and it would be wrong of me to continue to argue with someone who clearly has no sense of perspective other than his own.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Like I said, I've played games solo before and been randomly targeted and killed via PVP. It stings! In the beginning, I probably reacted like you and cried about it, but as time went on, I grew up and learned how to deal with it.

I've learned to shrug it off, and have actually become friends who people who randomly killed me. Some did it just to see if they could, some were indiscriminate on who they killed, but once I made it clear that it didn't bother me, it stopped.

@Vyraka . Why are you lying to yourself? This was your reply to me. Its blatantly obvious that you missed my point entirely. Just like @Mojottv .

Idgaf about PKing. I was talking with respect to the situation that I explained above. You clearly, in your fiery rage for open world social blah blah, didn't bother understanding the context of my statements first.

So yea, you didn't comprehend shit.

Maybe you need to look in the mirror in order to see who the actual emo teen is.
  • Options
    Harassment is harassment. Whether it's PKing someone - or getting them down to a quarter of your health. I was relating to the harassment part. I understand that went over your head as many things tend to do.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Harassment is harassment. Whether it's PKing someone - or getting them down to a quarter of your health. I was relating to the harassment part. I understand that went over your head as many things tend to do.

The amount of bs that comes from your mouth, @Vyraka , is truly ridiculous. That wouldn't be your reply to me if you actually understood the context of my statements. Cuz if you did, you would mention it at least once or even talk about it. But you didn't, you just talked about PKing. You might have 4 others to cover for you, but why lie? I'd always choose an emo teen over a liar anyday.

Now if you actually did say all that stupidity even after understanding the context of my statements, then you're beyond repair as well. There ain't no amount of reasoning that can get through to someone like that.

Might as well make it so that the players who are caught botting or gold selling are punished by players and not by Intrepid themselves. That should add to your vision of an open world game very well right?

I'm really glad that none of you: @Vyraka , @Mojottv , @Bricktop , @Tyrantor , @Xyls , are game designers. Cuz lord help the players if you were. You'll prob make the players create the code for the game as well.