Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Dealing with random player killing in an open-world PvP MMO.

Comments

• Atama wrote: »
    Atama wrote: »
    Now, according to the wiki they're suggesting that player's killed by another player still suffer xp loss outside of corruption and to me that's not ok. But since it's only an idea at this point it might not be that big of a deal. In theory.
    There is no XP loss on death. You get XP debt. Some might think that’s semantics but it’s not, it’s a huge difference. You won’t ever delevel, you just have to work a lot harder to advance.

The death penalty might make you feel like you lost a level, though, as your stats temporarily drop...

And the second law of thermodynamics is...

Either way you have lower stats and spend time doing lower tier content to work it off.

Cool I don't have to change my gear. Other than that, literally just semantics.
    Uh, no. Your skills are also tied to your level. Imagine dropping a level and no longer being able to have a secondary class. Or being unable to do anything else gated by level. Getting a level is not just raising stats.

Your stat loss won’t be identical to dropping a level. It might be worse, or not as bad. It might depend. But it’s not the same. Claiming you lose XP/levels is just misinformation. Claiming “semantics” is ignorant.

Over analyzing semantics to make the other persons piont seem less valid is just plain immature.

Maybe once people get past thinking that all PVP is related to corruption we can move on to arguing about how xp debt is just a kinder gentler way to level down.
  • Merek wrote: »
    I completely dislike 3rd party interference in games. Once I'm in, I don't want an admin or anyone but players dealing with each other. So I'm all for this,

However, I do find the corruption system too good to be true. I doubt it's going to be completely sound and un-cheesable. It'll get to the point where people bait those with good gear into getting corrupted simply to take it from them. The system forces all PVP to be "consensual" which removes most of the risk from doing anything in the game.

Yup, agreed. Implementation - not theory - is the key to any flagging system.
    Paradise.png
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Maybe once people get past thinking that all PVP is related to corruption we can move on to arguing about how xp debt is just a kinder gentler way to level down.
    Nope, that isn't the case at all.

Being a lower level doesn't lower the drop rate on encounters you kill, but having experience debt does.
    Being a lower level means you don't have access to things that are level gated to levels that are above you, experience debt doesn't have this restriction.

So, we have examples of a detrimental thing that lowering levels would do to players that experience debt won't, and we have an example of a detrimental thing that experience debt does to players that lowering levels won't.

So, we can no longer argue they are the same thing.

Are they similar? I mean, if you want to argue semantics, go for it. But are they the same? Hell no.
  • Noaani wrote: »

So, we can no longer argue they are the same thing.

Are they similar? I mean, if you want to argue semantics, go for it. But are they the same? Hell no.

You have the strangest method of agreeing with people I have ever seen.
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am going to kill people on sight. Especially when they run by me and do some dumb janky emote as if we are friends. I'm going to murder them, then I am going to call some guildees over and we are going to murder the friends that they bring. When we have fed our bloodlust, we will loot up, finish farming and head back home.

I'm never going to kill lowbies in low lvl areas. If a low level is traveling through a high lvl area.....I will certainly contemplate it. I will also focus players who do kill low levels. People wanting to be near my area that are not a citizen of my city will be murdered. This is my perspective of how I will play. Others will hate me but hey.....at least I didn't grind them at spawn.
  • KHRONUS wrote: »
    I am going to kill people on sight. Especially when they run by me and do some dumb janky emote as if we are friends. I'm going to murder them, then I am going to call some guildees over and we are going to murder the friends that they bring. When we have fed our bloodlust, we will loot up, finish farming and head back home.

This made me laugh. Our guild had a macroed KOS (kill on sight) list, that created very similar results. =D

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • CROW3 wrote: »
    KHRONUS wrote: »

This made me laugh. Our guild had a macroed KOS (kill on sight) list, that created very similar results. =D

It's gonna be nice to play a game that brings back the KoS list.

I'm never going to kill lowbies in low lvl areas. If a low level is traveling through a high lvl area.....I will certainly contemplate it. I will also focus players who do kill low levels. People wanting to be near my area that are not a citizen of my city will be murdered. This is my perspective of how I will play. Others will hate me but hey.....at least I didn't grind them at spawn.

Reminds me of Darkfall and Mortal Online.
    Paradise.png

If the pvp system will work as in lineage, then good luck :D after 1 hour of doing this you and your guildies will go back to gathering rocks and berries just earn enough for starter gear :D
    @Mojottv Let's hope they don't trash the game by following Lineage. open world pvp that prohibits open world pvp....sounds like that failed game New World.
  • JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter

This is the exact attitude that will cause this game to fail and why I will not play. I refuse to be your victim.
    @Mojottv Let's hope they don't trash the game by following Lineage. open world pvp that prohibits open world pvp....sounds like that failed game New World.

Lineage 2 was an extremely hardcore game with an absurd amount of PvP. You would PvP all day every day to defend your area while grinding mobs to get your exp. Lineage and New world are not even close to similiar.

The corruption system is there to prevent people from smashing lowbies all day. It's in a player's best interest to flag back if they are of equal level because they lose less gatherable materials this way.
    @Bricktop I never played Lineage but assumed it was carebear based on what the other guy said about it. From how you describe it, seems like I missed out on a good game.

@jubilum You don't want open world pvp in an open world pvp game? good bye I guess? Your forum Icon and your opinion on open world pvp are so vastly different, I don't think you know what you even want haha.
  • BricktopBricktop Member
    edited September 2020
    @Bricktop I never played Lineage but assumed it was carebear based on what the other guy said about it. From how you describe it, seems like I missed out on a good game.

@jubilum You don't want open world pvp in an open world pvp game? good bye I guess? Your forum Icon and your opinion on open world pvp are so vastly different, I don't think you know what you even want haha.

The corruption system in AoC is extremely similiar to Lineage 2's Karma system.

Mostly everybody flagged back in L2 because you would lose a lot less exp if you died flagged then if you got killed without flagging or defending yourself. And exp was painful to get in that game. I'm talking hours and hours of grinding mobs to get a few % of a level. And guild wars brought that exp loss down even more and made it impossible to get "corruption" from killing enemy guild members, so everybody was going to war often.

I recommend anybody go watch a few Lineage 2 mass PvP videos to see the flagging system in action.

I am looking forward to daily consensual pvp, I enjoy organized, meaningful pvp. It's the forced pvp/murder of people that don't want to participate in pvp to be forced to do so. It's just pure evil and morally corrupt to force a gamer to do something he/she has no desire to do.

It is shame that a game that ticks so many boxes for gamers has to insist on ruining the experience for a large percentage of the player base by insisting that they participate in such a horrific activity.
  • CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited September 2020
    @Bricktop @Riegnar @Bangeo @Hurf Derfman @Tyrantor

Based on what we know of the corruption system, its highly exploitable and won't be good enough to stop griefing. There are several threads listing many of them, look it up.

But we don't know everything yet. So hopefully there will be mechanics to ensure that none of these exploits can occur in the game. I'm sure that the devs will alpha/beta test this and ensure that a balance is struck between player risk and player griefing.
    maouw wrote: »
    *Raises hand Hermione style*
    I have a question!

Would people have an account that they pop into to PK and then log off?

Is that a thing?
    @maouw

In one case yes. Viewers of a particular streamer might do this to constantly PK the streamer and ruin their experience.

Mass, continuous griefing is something that the current corruption system does not combat.

Thankfully though, I don't think that a lot of normal people would do this as there is no real benefit to it.
  • CaptnChuck wrote: »
    @Bricktop @Riegnar @Bangeo @Hurf Derfman @Tyrantor

Based on what we know of the corruption system, its highly exploitable and won't be good enough to stop griefing. There are several threads listing many of them, look it up.

But we don't know everything yet. So hopefully there will be mechanics to ensure that none of these exploits can occur in the game. I'm sure that the devs will alpha/beta test this and ensure that a balance is struck between player risk and player griefing.

I think you will never make everybody happy and there are going to be people disappointed at launch when they discover the amount of PvP the game will actually have since it's based around L2 and Archeage.

Your definition of grieifing and mine differ I can assure you that.

• CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited September 2020
    jubilum wrote: »
    I am looking forward to daily consensual pvp...

Based on all available information, logging into AoC IS your consent to participate in pvp.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited September 2020
    Bricktop wrote: »

@Bricktop

There is no subjective definition to griefing. Only an objective one. Killing a player once or twice isn't griefing. Killing an innocent player, multiple times, is griefing. Killing multiple innocent players is also griefing.

Causing disruption in a player's routine isn't griefing. But negatively affecting their in game experience, for a large amount of time, is griefing.

If you actually read through some of the threads on this forum before you joined, you will notice that a lot of them discuss actual issues involving griefing and how the current corruption system won't be capable of handling it. But ofc, we don't know everything yet and a lot of this might not exist in AoC by the time of launch, as I'm sure that the devs will playtest this extensively.
  • DolyemDolyem Member
    edited September 2020

I am looking forward to daily consensual pvp, I enjoy organized, meaningful pvp. It's the forced pvp/murder of people that don't want to participate in pvp to be forced to do so. It's just pure evil and morally corrupt to force a gamer to do something he/she has no desire to do.

It is shame that a game that ticks so many boxes for gamers has to insist on ruining the experience for a large percentage of the player base by insisting that they participate in such a horrific activity.

Could say the same, forcing PvPers wanting an open PvP game to play an opt in pvp system. It isnt a bad thing, its just not for you. Nobody is going to force you to play this game. Just because a system isnt to your liking doesnt make it wrong. And the corruption system penalizes anyone for taking advantage of people like you so... I dont know what to tell you except go play New World or Retail WoW. Otherwise quit complaining about it seeing as it is literally a core system for AoC that will not be getting switched out.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • CaptnChuck wrote: »

@Bricktop

There is no subjective definition to griefing. Only an objective one. Killing a player once or twice isn't griefing. Killing an innocent player, multiple times, is griefing. Killing multiple innocent players is also griefing.

LOL I hope everyone gets the humor in this reply, or should I say, because of this reply.

Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    (Yes same Tyrantor from Shadowbane)
    Book suggestions:
    Galaxy Outlaws books 1-16.5, Metagamer Chronicles, The Land litrpg series, Ready Player One, Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Tyrantor wrote: »
    CaptnChuck wrote: »

@Bricktop

LOL I hope everyone gets the humor in this reply, or should I say, because of this reply.

I get my humor from watching spineless worms like you talking.
    Dolyem wrote: »

Could say the same, forcing PvPers wanting an open PvP game to play an opt in pvp system. It isnt a bad thing, its just not for you. Nobody is going to force you to play this game. Just because a system isnt to your liking doesnt make it wrong. And the corruption system penalizes anyone for taking advantage of people like you so... I dont know what to tell you except go play New World or Retail WoW. Otherwise quit complaining about it seeing as it is literally a core system for AoC that will not be getting switched out.

I am not complaining about anything, I have been pointing out for 3 years that this is a terrible decision and will continue to do so until launch day. Unless there is dissent on this topic AoC will not change. They will eventually see the light and realize the almighty buck reins supreme, if not I have no respect for their business model and will not play their game.
  • jubilum wrote: »
    Dolyem wrote: »

I am not complaining about anything, I have been pointing out for 3 years that this is a terrible decision and will continue to do so until launch day. Unless there is dissent on this topic AoC will not change. They will eventually see the light and realize the almighty buck reins supreme, if not I have no respect for their business model and will not play their game.

Still sounds like complaining, especially if you have been going on about it for 3 years. I would also like to see where you are getting your "High percentage" players numbers agreeing with you. Because if anything people have been praising the open world pvp more than damning it from what I have seen in streaming chats and youtube videos. And complaining about the system for the next year or 2 is going to be a waste of your breath seeing as several other systems the game is built on relies on open world pvp. The needless ganking you are likely very against is taken care of with the corruption system, so what you are telling me is just that you personally are unhappy that there is a risk of you getting ganked by another player, despite a system being put in place to negatively affect them. You're going to be wasting your breath until release, only to go back to whatever other opt-in pvp game you have been playing, or used to play. AoC is on the right path, open world PvP with consequences to ganking sounds amazing. If you want a game where your hand is held all the way through go play world of warcraft.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • jubilum wrote: »

The game was always advertised as such, an open-world PVP game. Why did you back the project without realizing this? It's people like you that have held MMO's back for years. You buy into a project without thinking about what you're getting into and then when it hits you, you lose your mind. If they do for some reason, gut the PVP in this game, like Amazon did with New World, enjoy your 6 months of entertainment before it's dead.
  • Merek wrote: »

The game was always advertised as such, an open-world PVP game. Why did you back the project without realizing this? It's people like you that have held MMO's back for years. You buy into a project without thinking about what you're getting into and then when it hits you, you lose your mind. If they do for some reason, gut the PVP in this game, like Amazon did with New World, enjoy your 6 months of entertainment before it's dead.

Don't worry. They won't gut this game. The creative director has a vision and it's based off L2 and Archeage, 2 games chock full of PvP.

The best part of Lineage 2 was that it was least prohibitive mmo i ever played. But due to success of wow, where its all about everyone wins, everyone matters, be nice to each other and stay safe what killed mmorpg genre.

In lineage 2 you could kill whoever you wanted where you wanted, except for cities. That being said, the non concensual pvp was punishable in terms of karma (corruption), which was not too much a big deal to deal with, unless you go on killing spree, then you might as well reroll. It doesnt eliminate completely griefing, but makes it extremely punishable and by griefing i mean going around just killing random people who want no part in pvp.

So its really refreshing to see at least one game that took this system back.
  • Bricktop wrote: »

Lineage 2 was an extremely hardcore game with an absurd amount of PvP. You would PvP all day every day to defend your area while grinding mobs to get your exp. Lineage and New world are not even close to similiar.

The corruption system is there to prevent people from smashing lowbies all day. It's in a player's best interest to flag back if they are of equal level because they lose less gatherable materials this way.

thats not entirely true, you would get same exp penalty for either being killed while flagged or unflagged. Players usually would flag back to fight back and to avoid being killed at all. so if 4 players gank you and try to flag on you, you would just ignore them, run away or let them pk you, so you could come back and kill the one with karma to get his shit or force him to get even more karma, or his teamates getting karma.

It was hardcore untill they removed posibility to drop items on death from mobs, added augments that prevented dropping weapons even when with karma, introduced loads of instances etc etc.
  • Bring Dion Town gate pvp back!!!!
  • stolyaR wrote: »
    Bring Dion Town gate pvp back!!!!

yeah boy!