Monetization

Comments

• Asgerr wrote: »
    Iridianny wrote: »
    Also, the game was fully funded.

Fully funded to allow the game to be released.

Do you expect everything beyond that point to be just Steven forking out truckloads of money to fund the game forever?

There has to be a revenue stream. Adding and upping the box cost will limit the amount of players you get. If you further up the sub cost, you also won't retain them.

Then then game is dead. But congratulations, you didn't get a cash shop. You can stand proud next to the servers once they shut them down.

You'd rather the game you enjoy be funded by the part of the player base who enjoys rp, than for you to pay a reasonable amount to compensate the work of creating an expansion of a game you'd have hundreds of hours playing by that point. There can be a higher sub fee and if the game is good enough people will pay it.
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member, Alpha Two
    Asgerr wrote: »
    Also, the game was fully funded.

Fully funded to allow the game to be released.

Do you expect everything beyond that point to be just Steven forking out truckloads of money to fund the game forever?

There has to be a revenue stream. Adding and upping the box cost will limit the amount of players you get. If you further up the sub cost, you also won't retain them.

Then then game is dead. But congratulations, you didn't get a cash shop. You can stand proud next to the servers once they shut them down.

You'd rather the game you enjoy be funded by the part of the player base who enjoys rp, than for you to pay a reasonable amount to compensate the work of creating an expansion of a game you'd have hundreds of hours playing by that point. There can be a higher sub fee and if the game is good enough people will pay it.

Already replied to this exact same statement on the other thread.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • GeronimoGeronimo Member, Alpha Two
    edited February 2022
    Is a cash shop during the development period as a form of reward for investment fine? Yes. I am talking about it for the future of the game after it's released. Also, the game was fully funded.

Support is even more relevant after the game is released, it doesn't stay "fully funded" indefinitely.

I would much rather pay my own hard-earned money towards the art direction that I personally like than to an increase in sub-cost, at least there is some basis to it. That's my opinion, but I believe I AM fully entitled to that opinion because it is my money after all.

In the "more to the subscription cost" scenario you are proposing, then the devs that make the art that I personally DISLIKE in the game would be equally funded and no one could tell the difference. It's much better to be able to support what you like.

And I do not do RP by the way, I just like to pay for things I like, not things I do not like.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha Two
    Noaani wrote: »
    If it were, I would then be able to complain that the barrier to entry for me is several dozen hours of effort in order to get leveled up to the level cap - which is where I consider the game to begin.

Stop your whining.

In response:
    Franquito wrote: »
    I hate that argument that you have to play an MMO for 100+ hours to start to see the fun. That's just another cop out for poor game design.
    That point obviously went WAY over your head.

Me saying that the game starts at the level cap is an issue with me, not an issue with the game or the games design.

It is my problem that I need to come to terms with on my own.

This is the same as your issue with the cash shop. It is your issue that you need to come to terms with on your own.
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    edited February 2022
    Steven has said that Ashes won't be a game for everyone.

This isn't some cheap cop-out to explain away why something isn't ideal, it's just a fact that he's designing the game how he wants, and he's not going to try and please everyone.

Sometimes, you need to just accept you aren't one of those people he's going to please because your core philosophy doesn't align with the direction the game has chosen to go.

Arguing over which way is better isn't going to change the fact that the design of this game is going to go a direction, and that direction is NOT going to please 100% of people who want to play this game. It sucks to find out you are on the side not included in that, but if every game tried to please EVERYONE, then you more often than not please no one, because you get half-measures, and compromises that defeat the point of even having that content to begin with.

Aq0KG2f.png
  • E_THE_REAL1E_THE_REAL1 Member, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    edited February 2022
    tautau wrote: »
    Every time there is an 'anti-buy cosmetics' thread, I go to the store and buy some cosmetics.

I’m going to start doing this too now
  • Sure, but maybe they should replace pay for cosmetics for pay to win is what I am saying. It would make them a lot more money if having multiple revenue streams is important and it doesn't ostracize players that enjoy cosmetics and social gameplay.

Stick to Skyrim buddy

It was a hypothetical stance to show that when it comes to affecting *your* type of gameplay it’s not okay now. Which you’ve proven here with your comment. I am against cash shops in all forms, it was to try to produce some sympathy and perspective for the players affected by cosmetic shops. Which seems impossible at this point. You’d rather isolate player types from a game that needs many players after release to be successful than to see a potential flaw in the current monetization model. I don’t play Skyrim, but thanks for the suggestion.
  • E_THE_REAL1E_THE_REAL1 Member, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    If you’re advocating pay to win, just go play Skyrim, MMO’s are not for you.
  • If you’re advocating pay to win, just go play Skyrim, MMO’s are not for you.

I’m not and if you could read what I’ve said before responding, you’d understand that.
    I quite enjoy MMOs but thanks for the suggestion.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    Boanergese wrote: »
    Steven has said a billion times there is no pay to win.

Sure, but maybe they should replace pay for cosmetics for pay to win is what I am saying. It would make them a lot more money if having multiple revenue streams is important and it doesn't ostracize players that enjoy cosmetics and social gameplay.

If you're weighing pay for cosmetics versus pay to win ... pay for cosmetics is the lesser evil by a country mile.

It's not even close.
    For me, pay for cosmetics isn't much different than pay to win.
    I don't really get Steven's high horse about no pay to win when he has pay for cosmetics.
    But, neither are a deal-breaker for me, so, I don't really care at the end of the day
  • Dygz wrote: »
    I don't really get Steven's high horse about no pay to win when he has pay for cosmetics.
    But, neither are a deal-breaker for me, so, I don't really care at the end of the day

Indeed. Attempting to shed a light on the hypocritical monetization and offer a counter perspective doesn’t go very far to people who seem to worship this Steven fellow and all his decisions. Discouraged was the word I used in my original post. Not a deal breaker for me to try a month of this game that has promising features, we will see how far they take the cash shop though. I think It’d be better to design the monetization after release without it for the longevity of the game and happiness of the player base is all. But I don’t claim to know the best way to do things, just that there are many ways to do everything.
    edited February 2022
    Dygz wrote: »

I fully understand his high horse about this, and I agree with it wholeheartedly.

• KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    edited February 2022
    If you see looking pretty as "winning" then I guess you could see it that way. There's of course intangible elements, such as FOMO, but this is highly subjective.

I don't really see any tangible advantage to cosmetics, unless they hide you better from enemies or grant you stats, MAYBE allowing you to cut in line and skip content in the game, which none of the ones we've seen so far would indicate.

Given we've been promised comparative in game equivalents (or better, which Steven has stated) of the paid for cosmetics, on a scale showing in-game advantages over others, based on 1-10, 10 being "Ultra Pay To Win, this system hits at around a 1.5.

Given personal preference, I'm wiling to concede a 2 point margin or error, so 0-3/10, which any way you look at it, is far better than the alternative.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    edited February 2022
    Dygz wrote: »

Indeed. Attempting to shed a light on the hypocritical monetization and offer a counter perspective doesn’t go very far to people who seem to worship this Steven fellow and all his decisions. Discouraged was the word I used in my original post. Not a deal breaker for me to try a month of this game that has promising features, we will see how far they take the cash shop though. I think It’d be better to design the monetization after release without it for the longevity of the game and happiness of the player base is all. But I don’t claim to know the best way to do things, just that there are many ways to do everything.

When you resort to insulting people who disagree with you, clearly you are bankrupt of ideas and rational arguments. Frankly you're just trolling now.

I've participated in the various iterations of this message board for years (I think this is the 3rd board now) and someone like you always pops up, makes a lot of noise about this issue, then goes away forever. I'm just waiting for this to fizzle out like it always does.

Hhak63P.png
  • Karthos wrote: »
    If you see looking pretty as "winning" then I guess you could see it that way. There's of course intangible elements, such as FOMO, but this is highly subjective.

I don't really see any tangible advantage to cosmetics, unless they hide you better from enemies or grant you stats, MAYBE allowing you to cut in line and skip content in the game, which none of the ones we've seen so far would indicate.

You clearly do not understand the perspective of someone who enjoys outfitting and rp in an mmo and that's okay. You are roleplaying as your character being able to fight dragons in a fantasy world. Some people play in a different way though. AoC said there are many types of progression besides combat. That was a core principle. You can be a mount breeder, a tavern owner, a baker, etc... They were trying to appeal to people who enjoy social aspects of mmo's with their principles of making many paths of progression and not the typical xp to level 100 and done.

I've said in earlier posts my stance on monetizing part of what makes an rpg fun for people who like to rp in different ways. I will bring back the example for you:
    Hypothetically, I should be able to be a (for example) baker as my gameplay when I pay my monthly sub. Now, it the "baker" costume costs $20 on the cash shop, my entire gameplay has a barrier to entry that no one else had. It's not about the one costume, though, this could be hypothetically said about any cosmetic that they charge extra for.
    By this logic, I prefer a box price. I'd rather pay $60 once than $20 multiple times to get the furniture for the shop, the different costumes, etc, etc, etc. If you are the 1/4 of the player base that is wanting to play this part of the game, it now has the burden of being monetized.

I know many people have issues with box price, but I think that a free trial can aid with this. I don't think a box price is an unfair compensation for expansions 2 years down the line. In fact, I think that's reasonable! Perhaps the cosmetics + the donations so far and then the monthly fee is enough to cover not having a box price for the release game and not "needing" a cosmetic cash shop? I'd say most likely. $15/month x let's say a very low figure of 100k players for the release... that's $1.5 mil in one month. The game has been fully funded already. I am not claiming to understand their budget system by any means. Simply that a cash shop seems like a slippery slope into future pay to win when people start to get bored with content and an unnecessary cash grab on role players at the start.
    edited February 2022
    They were trying to appeal to people who enjoy social aspects of mmo's with their principles of making many paths of progression and not the typical xp to level 100 and done.
    Being a mount breeder, a tavern owner or a baker is not about a costume.

Based on what Intrepid have said, you should be able to be a baker as a core part of your gameplay. This means making and selling baked goods, not wearing a costume. The costume isn't a part of it at all - the gameplay is what is being talked about. They aren't saying you should be able to find a bakers costume and RP as a baker, they are saying you should be able to play the game and progress as a baker.

If you really care about outfitting your characters, about getting the look just how you want it, then the whole cosmetic store thing really shouldn't bother you at all. If you are that concerned with it all, you will use in game cosmetics that you can mix and match. You can essentially ignore the store and it's cosmetics as being for people that are less concerned with how they look than you are.

As to the cash shop being the start of a slippery slope - no it isn't.

The cash shop was stated to be a part of the game from day 1. It is mentioned on the kickstarter page iirc.

As such, the cosmetic only cash shop is the level ground before the slope, as it is a foundational aspect of the game. The start of a slippery slope requires a change from the status quo - and the status quo in Ashes is a cosmetic only cash shop.
  • Atama wrote: »
    When you resort to insulting people who disagree with you, clearly you are bankrupt of ideas and rational arguments. Frankly you're just trolling now.

I've participated in the various iterations of this message board for years (I think this is the 3rd board now) and someone like you always pops up, makes a lot of noise about this issue, then goes away forever. I'm just waiting for this to fizzle out like it always does.

What did I say that was insulting? Many people have been citing and clinging to "Steven's words" since this post started as if it was their own thoughts. I was not asking for his words, he's quite biased as the creator of the game and I can find them myself with a quick search. I am sharing an opinion of monetization and mmo's in general. That's nice that you have offered no beneficial conversation to an idea that has continuously been brought up, and clearly dismissed, in hopes that it will "fizzle out." There are things to be learned from different perspectives. Have a nice day.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    edited February 2022
    Karthos wrote: »

Given we've been promised comparative in game equivalents (or better, which Steven has stated) of the paid for cosmetics, on a scale showing in-game advantages over others, based on 1-10, 10 being "Ultra Pay To Win, this system hits at around a 1.5.

Given personal preference, I'm wiling to concede a 2 point margin or error, so 0-3/10, which any way you look at it, is far better than the alternative.
    I don't consider myself to be competing with other players when I play MMORPGs...
    So, for me, both Pay for Cosmetics and Pay to Win are really just Pay for Convenience.
    If people want to Pay for Convenience, it's fine by me. Neither version is worse than the other.

"In-game equivalents of the cosmetics" don't really mean much to me.
    My brother died the month the Stufferton was offered - I missed that opportunity while I was distracted prepping memorials in two different states. Can't get an in-game version of the Stufferton, as far as I know.
    I'm sure I can get some other Bear mount in the game to represent being a carebear, but it's not going to be as epic as riding a Stufferton.
    So, I would consider purchasing a Stufferton as winning because it's a perfect representation of the Dygz role. And losing out on the opportunity to obtain a Stufferton feels like a significant loss.
    Many people have been citing and clinging to "Steven's words" since this post started as if it was their own thoughts.
    You have been asking for change, people have been pointing you to what the person that is paying to get this game made has said on the matter.

Essentially, it doesn't matter what you or I think, this matter is settled.

If you want to talk about whether a cosmetic only cash shop is a good thing for MMO's in general, have at it. Just don't bother having that conversation in the context of Ashes, as in this game, the matter is settled.
  • BabayugahBabayugah Member, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    Boanergese wrote: »
    Steven has said a billion times there is no pay to win.

Sure, but maybe they should replace pay for cosmetics for pay to win is what I am saying. .

No.

There's no other answer to be given and no explanation needed in response to your statement other than No.

• Noaani wrote: »
    ...this matter is settled.
    Just don't bother having that conversation in the context of Ashes, as in this game, the matter is settled.

Are you trying to convince me or yourself that "the matter is settled"? I don't think you get to decide that or when a conversation ends that you cannot see the other side of to begin with.
    edited February 2022
    The game has been fully funded already. I am not claiming to understand their budget system by any means. Simply that a cash shop seems like a slippery slope into future pay to win when people start to get bored with content and an unnecessary cash grab on role players at the start.

This thread is getting silly now, Steven said it is never going to be pay to win. So now it's just about whether you believe Steven or not.

Like I said earlier, I am not a role player whatsoever, in 20 years of MMOs I have participated in 20 minutes of RP. However, I do support the cosmetic shop and purchase cosmetics to support the development and the art direction of what I like to see in the game, I do not purchase the cosmetics that I dislike. At least Intrepid will know what I think is worth money and what I don't think is.

If it was an increased subscription I would have no idea what my money is supporting and neither would Intrepid, with cosmetics I know exactly what type of artwork my money is supporting.

• Babayugah wrote: »
    No.

There's no other answer to be given and no explanation needed in response to your statement other than No.

It was a hypothetical stance and if you read anything before typing, you wouldn't have felt the need to respond. Obviously I don't want either nor was I seriously suggesting it.
  • Geronimo wrote: »
    Like I said earlier, I am not a role player whatsoever, in 20 years of MMOs I have participated in 20 minutes of RP.

Then you offer little perspective to why it might be important to a roleplayer and should consider understanding other types of players viewpoints.
  • ItsFayneItsFayne Member, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    I am really discouraged to hear that the monetization will be coming from cosmetics. Cosmetics are a big part of the immersion of an mmorpg for me, a long-time role player. Having to pay for cosmetics with real money takes player customization out of the game and makes me enjoy it less.
    Player customization is one of the most important features of a game for me. I don't necessarily mean face sliders either! I mean collecting things in game that are unique and special to my character. Collection is a huge feature to me in any mmorpg, but I do not like to pay extra for it as it feels like the fun of playing the game...
    Things like outfits, house items, pets, and mounts are what I am assuming is going to be monetized. I feel that this added art could be continuously compensated fairly through a monthly fee.
    These things add to the experience of playing the game... like rare items, specialty clothing shops, achievement items, etc.
    It gives more to do in the game itself when specialty cosmetic items are earned. A monthly subscription fee is something many mmo players are comfortable and willing to pay for an engaging game. I would be willing to pay more than the average for a game with consistent "free" cosmetics being added to collect!

So you like cosmetics but just have an issue with where they come from?
    7l7hsjx.png
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    Atama wrote: »

What did I say that was insulting? Many people have been citing and clinging to "Steven's words" since this post started as if it was their own thoughts. I was not asking for his words, he's quite biased as the creator of the game and I can find them myself with a quick search. I am sharing an opinion of monetization and mmo's in general. That's nice that you have offered no beneficial conversation to an idea that has continuously been brought up, and clearly dismissed, in hopes that it will "fizzle out." There are things to be learned from different perspectives. Have a nice day.

Claiming that people are worshipping Steven, essentially accusing people of being in a cult, you don't think that's insulting? You're being ridiculous. You were intentionally insulting, and now you're playing coy about it, and it's unappreciated. That gets you put in ignore land, where clear trolls go. Fortunately, I'm sure you'll flitter away from this board soon, assuming your increasingly hyperbolic rhetoric doesn't lead to a ban before then.

The idea keeps getting brought up by people who are unfamiliar with the game and ignorant about how it works. They are one-issue gadflies who have no real interest in this game at all. They hear that a game is coming out that allows microtransactions, create an account to whine about it, then go away because they don't have anything else to talk about.

Steven Sharif is the Creative Director of the game. He started it, and he makes the decisions about it. He's the head honcho. That means that if he wants something to be a certain way, it will happen. We can give feedback about things, but if he is dead set on something, that's what is going to happen.

I have my disagreements with the game, and with Steven's decisions. I've made them public. I have voiced those disagreements here. But I've done so knowing that ultimately if that's how he wants to go, that's how it will go. Basically, there is no greater authority about anything in this game then him.

It's like griping about Amazon then wondering why people are talking about this "Bezos guy", as if what he says matters.

Anyway, ta-ta. One thing that's great about a message board is that you get to erase people that have negative value.

Hhak63P.png
    If Ashes were going to slip to Pay to Win in the future due to player boredom, it would do so regardless of having a cosmetic cash shop.
    But, Pay to Win is a pet peeve of Steven's, so it's highly unlikely slip to Pay to Win will ever happen.
    Steven sees cosmetic shop as a very, very different thing than Pay to Win.
    Even though they may seem similar to you, Steven doesn't share that perception.
    edited February 2022
    Noaani wrote: »
    ...this matter is settled.
    Just don't bother having that conversation in the context of Ashes, as in this game, the matter is settled.

Are you trying to convince me or yourself that "the matter is settled"? I don't think you get to decide that or when a conversation ends that you cannot see the other side of to begin with.

I didn't say the conversation is over, I said the matter is settled.

If you are going to argue against what someone says, at least get what they said correct.

As a discussion, this will likely not be over until the game closes down. However, the matter is still settled. Steven has seen all the arguments you have made (and better arguments that have been better presented), and stands by his decision.

There would likely be a riot and mass exodus from the game if Intrepid changed things now. Not necessarily because of the change, but because we are all here based mostly on trust in Steven and Intrepid. If they go back on a major aspect of the game that they have said many times is just how it is, then that trust is gone.

So, the matter is settled.
    edited February 2022
    Then you offer little perspective to why it might be important to a roleplayer and should consider understanding other types of players viewpoints.

Incorrect, I am trying to broaden your perspective of why there is a cosmetic shop, it is not just for RPers. But I can see why they would like to use it.
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    So here it is plain and simple: You don't like the monetization model. That's ok. Don't play the game.

Until you can come back with a load of data that can prove Intrepid would be better with a higher than $14.99 a month sub and not lose customers, all you are saying is you want it this way.

This isn't BK, you can't have it your way. Th
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101