Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Female Expression In AoC

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This thread is fun.

My wife likes armor that appeals to her. The metal bulk does not. Leathers and cloth that fit her form do.

My Tulnar will wear loincloth and a skull belt if I get my way. Full body tattoos.

Breaks your immersion? Put a bag over your head.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    Aerlana wrote: »
    Yeah yeah, overly sexualised lady

So don't come "how do you run with those high heels lol" ...
    Honestly, all I saw there was:
    Asian game
    Asian game
    Asian game
    Asian game

That being said...
    We have yet to see what the cultural variations of armor sets/cosmetics look like.
    I didn't pay much attention in Alpha One. Seemed like there wasn't much difference other than conforming to size.
  • Options
    Otr wrote: »
    :
    Solvryn wrote: »
    Breaks your immersion? Put a bag over your head.

You are toxic.

Oh?
  • Options
    LeiloniLeiloni Member
    edited July 2022
    So just to get the arguments straight from some of you - I can be a deer-tree-elf thing, who slings spells at people, but can't wear flattering, stylish, form-fitting armor because "realism"? But also because "realism" I must instead have bulky, oversized plate that restricts movement and a helm that covers my eyes because that is somehow "practical"? Just want to make sure I understand this properly.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Leiloni wrote: »
    So just to get the arguments straight from some of you - I can be a deer-tree-elf thing, who slings spells at people, but can't wear flattering, stylish, form-fitting armor because "realism"? But also because "realism" I must instead have bulky, oversized plate that restricts movement and a helm that covers my eyes because that is somehow "practical"? Just want to make sure I understand this properly.

You're conflating 'people prefer to have armor be that way' with 'you cannot do X'.

You're arguing too early, basically. "I want form fitting heavy armor and I don't see any yet!"

Just assume they're making the bulky heavy armor first.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2022
    realism is just a word they use to hide behind while in reality it is just puritanism.

Realism or immersion is a word some use as a magical word to defend an idea people know it is not easy to defend... And nothing surprising here :
    Realism is just a personnal taste. (I really don't care about realism... i wouldnt play fantasy games...)
    Immersion is really subjectiv thing. For a same subject, 2 people can have a way to get immerse in total opposite and contradictory way. As we saw about proximity voice chat, some saying more immersiv, other saying immersion breaking. Here we see the same, some like me (or you) needs to have their character as close as they imagine it for the most immersion possible, other needs OTHER character to be as close as they want them to be...

And this is were is the real toxicity for me : when you decide for other people how they have to do. and want to restrict freedom... Not when people say "just don't watch me"
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Heels in heavy armor to some people are like bright neon dyed metal armor to others. Boob windows and other unrealistically exposed heavy armor sets to some people are like people wearing a bunch of mismatched bright colors in their outfits, 'clowns' as Steven called them, to others.

I for one am very pro choice when it comes to colors and dyes. I like bright colors and advocate for less limitations on palette. I just also happen to have empathy for others who value immersion in their games and therefore can accept some amount of limits to these immersion breaking elements. So I am willing to accept limits on bright colors depending on material.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    Aerlana wrote: »
    realism is just a word they use to hide behind while in reality it is just puritanism.

Realism or immersion is a word some use as a magical word to defend an idea people know it is not easy to defend... And nothing surprising here :
    Realism is just a personnal taste. (I really don't care about realism... i wouldnt play fantasy games...)
    Immersion is really subjectiv thing. For a same subject, 2 people can have a way to get immerse in total opposite and contradictory way. As we saw about proximity voice chat, some saying more immersiv, other saying immersion breaking. Here we see the same, some like me (or you) needs to have their character as close as they imagine it for the most immersion possible, other needs OTHER character to be as close as they want them to be...

And this is were is the real toxicity for me : when you decide for other people how they have to do. and want to restrict freedom... Not when people say "just don't watch me"

That’s right if they don’t like what they see they can put a bag over their head.
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    Dygz wrote: »
    But this one is the same and that's also fine. The outfit looks good on both of them and more importantly, makes sense for the style of outfit that it is -

Feyguard%27s_Vengeance.png
    What is it that makes the outfit look good on both of them??
    It's pretty much the same outfit - but it shows some midriff... on both.

This however doesn't make sense. The concept artist made no attempt to even show the female form. Her body looks exactly like the male in every way. No boobs, no hips. And why does one have a hood and one doesn't? I'd prefer the outfit for the female be more close fitting to actually show her body. Then some design elements make no sense for a female, such as the top coming down over the thighs and splitting in the middle. You see that in a lot of male armor but it feels too bulky and seems to have no purpose for the female. And the crisscross straps across the chest? That's uncomfortable with boobs and in real life, we avoid it when possible. Further, it doesn't seem to serve any purpose on this set for either of them.
    Harvest_Guard.png
    I mean... I'm pretty sure boob sliders and hip sliders in Character Creator will change the silhouette of the female armor. Some women are petite and some women don't want to accentuate their boobs and hips.
    I'm not sure what that has to do with the design of the armor.

The armor is going to fit the character model the same for every character regardless of how you big or small you make your toon. This armor doesn't fit her is the problem. It's bulky and too big instead of more form-fitting.

Dont bother Leiloni. Political agendas should be obvious by now in this thread. That, and some people are very prude. But dont worry too much about those npc designs.

Seriously? You're the only one who is trying to make this thread political. Please just stick to arguing what your preferences are and drop the white knight culture warrior BS. Yeah I am being blunt here, but you seem like a person who appreciates being blunt.

Last time I was given a villainous. How did you get white knight culture warrior from all this?
    Yes I am serious. I have heard all weird attacks on feminine looks from heels to armor is armor.
    Have you not read every single post in this thread, including the latest gem by dygz, who went through the most round-about way of showing some support for feminine design?
    Unlike the other threads that drag on forever, this one has true importance and I've read every response.
    Yes I am serious that people here dismiss views that want both male and female designs in a videogame, under the pretext of realism. Btw, go and look into the drawings in the classic D'Artagnan novels. The musketeers there wore boots with heels and in many movies and other pop culture media there are female queens and warriors wearing armors with boob plates, not just male equipment.
    If you are blind and want to keep mute as well on this issue, do so, it's ok, you dont even have to blush and say "yeah Im blunt, with your permission".

Yes I will speak out and directly. And if I was a woman I would ask for intrepids intentions on ingame heavy robe and medium design on this months Q&A.
    And you may think that I care for politics, but you havent said a word about those who call others names for having a different view.
    Are you afraid of the many? They are an easier target from the one that stands strong. Dont take aim at me when you feel "blunt".

Geez I forgot I made this thread. Thanks for fighting the good fight I guess. I have made myself clear multiple times. I don't care if Intrepid puts Unisex armor in the game. In fact I'm all for it, I just want options, I don't like it when game companies narrow my choices because of a what if. I play a character as a self insert and would like to have the options to be feminine. I don't want bikini armor or heels. I'm not looking for only feminine and masculine gear. I want everyone to get what they want not just one group of people. When the community is happy I'm happy. It's amusing that people keep trying to argue against options though.
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    I am personally all for more feminine looking armor, so long as it at least looks like it could in fact offer protection.

I think these videos are a better way to convey my meaning and the possibilities for more feminine armor types:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBtvS5yhTA8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KHz0qWQA9I&t=4s

https://youtu.be/8celc7iJI8U
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    IridiannyIridianny Member
    edited August 2022
    I am a woman and I enjoy feminine, perhaps sexy, armor for my fantasy characters. I also do see a problem with it. This might be a solution I just stumbled across on Pinterest…

0nb7s2jz4t5m.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    With the variety of tattoos available in Ashes, in addition to boob windows, I now want thigh windows and calf windows and back windows and shoulder windows...anything that will allow me to show off my body tattoos instead of having them completely covered by armor.
  • Options
    TatianaTatiana Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited August 2022
    I completely agree with the OP on this subject. Personally, I am a "girly girl" when it comes to cosmetic expression, both in games and in real life, so it's important to me to have this option in the game. Too many people automatically equate feminine with skimpy, you don't have to make "bikini" armor for it to be feminine, you can have heavy/plated armor that is still form fitting and doesn't hide/mask the silhouette while still having total coverage.

Light/Cloth "armor" doesn't really provide "practical" protection anyway, so you can easily have the more revealing options in this category, and to a lesser extent the medium/leather category. In the end, this is a fantasy video game so it is important to strike a good balance, without totally losing yourself in "function over form, practical over impractical" all the time.
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    the "bag on head" is not a nice way to defend right to have liberty of outfit. (and again, we are not speaking about "slutmogs" ...)
    Dygz wrote: »
    With the variety of tattoos available in Ashes, in addition to boob windows, I now want thigh windows and calf windows and back windows and shoulder windows...anything that will allow me to show off my body tattoos instead of having them completely covered by armor.

Most games are doing "full armor" to men, and... while i would stuff any male character this way personally. i also HATE this.
    I mean, "say me name of strong powerfull male warrior in fantasy stories" You could say lancelot sure, with full plate armor, aragorn, in medium/light armor or Conan, with just enough to hide his intimacy... Because he doesnt need, his adamant muscles are enough to block any sword.

For this i defend, here, some sexy (NOT SLUTTY) armor for female, even if "unrealist"... While i hope the same goes for male, with a "conan the barbarian" mindset...