Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Female Expression In AoC

Comments

• Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member
    Lithion wrote: »
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Also, most “female armors” posted here have been laughably bad. Drooping necklines to expose the upper torso to attacks. Bare midriffs to expose 80% of vital organs to attacks. Bare thighs and mini skirts that don’t make any sense at all. Heels! Those death traps.
    By that logic there should be no cloth armor either because it clearly cant stop a sword? And everyone should be in full plate right? The whole point is that this isn't the real world, its a fantasy video game lol. There is magic and other protections more than we have here on earth. On earth you need physical material of superior strength to stop incoming damage, yet in Fantasy worlds there is magic and other properties at work. That is why you can have a ring or necklace that boosts your defense by a huge amount. We also have thin cloth that people wear with magical properties that make it able to stop swords and arrows and hammers and anything else. So why does it make a difference that some skin is showing, if magic is the key defining factor?

For example, a level 1 suit of full plate armor head to toe wont do anything vs a max level player, yet max level light cloth armor will be tremendously effective against the same opponent. you cant use real world rules in a magic fantasy world where everything works completely different. If you do not like armor that shows skin then don't wear that armor, they shouldn't ban clothing based on a few people not liking it. Its the same in real life, girls can wear revealing outfits all they want, should they be banned from wearing anything revealing also? I'm just saying why should we ban or limit costumes because a few people don't like it? All the costumes don't have to be battle armor anyway, and I'm not advocating for bikini armor. All we want is some more Feminine looking armor options in addition to the stuff we are getting now.

P.S. I want to be able to show off my cool tattoos so I definitely would like to show some skin, I'm sure there are plenty of beefy guy characters that would also love to show off some sick scars and tattoos, or else what's the point of the tattoo system lol.

There is a big difference between showing some skin (off the shoulder, a little cleavage or a little side slit) vs some pictures posted on here that is very oversexualized and honestly inappropriate. Outfits that were only made to sexualize female characters. It's not even sexy, it's actually tacky AND OUTDATED. And I don't think a character wearing 6 inch heels running around in a forest, on mud, or on ice is fitting, even in a fantasy game.

Exactly this
  • Options
    LithionLithion Member
    edited May 2022
    There is a big difference between showing some skin (off the shoulder, a little cleavage or a little side slit) vs some pictures posted on here that is very oversexualized and honestly inappropriate. Outfits that were only made to sexualize female characters. It's not even sexy, it's actually tacky AND OUTDATED. And a character wearing 6 inch heels running around in a forest, on mud, or on ice is not fitting, even in a fantasy game.

Which examples do you find inappropriate? The question is where you draw the line between what you find too sexual and what is not? it will vary from person to person. I gave over 150 examples in my post of armor i felt would be good examples of female armor, are some of those too sexual also?

I agree on the heels thing and that's why in my post i mention they don't have to include heals in the designs at all because it would be weird running around un civilized wastelands in heels. Also some of my examples are for casual wear that isn't meant for battle at all. There will be plenty of people who choose not to participate in any combat at all in the game and just want to rp and artisan in towns, and thats fine the game is for them also. I think there should be casual outfits as well, there's no way every person is constantly in full armor even when in their homes or relaxing and crafting realistically, so having that option for casual wear is significant also.

I would love to see some examples of what you both feel would be appropriately badass and sexy female armor. @TheDarkSorcerer @Caeryl

edit, formatting
  • Options
    234Graph234Graph Member
    edited May 2022
    Nelirya wrote: »
    Seems like I am a little late to the party, but as usual, I do love when this topic comes up for discussion!

I am a female gamer and I very much enjoy my character to represent a "fantasy" version of myself in the games I play.

What I mean specifically by a fantasy version of myself is the way I want to dress/style my character. In the real, everyday world I am not able to go out wearing a form-fitting dress that makes me look and feel like a fierse, badass, sexy magician (apart from on Halloween perhaps). However, in a high fantasy world like Ashes of Creation, I think that this type of look should definitely be possible and an option for players to achieve.

I do not for a moment believe that the only way female characters can be viewed as "strong" and "powerful" is by having them dressed/designed in armour that is large, bulky, flat shoed and all-covering. I have definitely seen this viewpoint being shared before, and I really do disagree. Many females (myself included) actually feel empowered by having a choice to dress/style our characters in form-fitting, more revealing and even high heel styled armours. It allows us to represent ourselves in the way we want to be seen.

The most important point is CHOICE. I would just like to copy-paste what I said in a similar topic before:

I firmly believe that diversity and variation in armour/cosmetic styles in games is a good thing, and allows people to create characters that they like the look of to represent them. As long as there are options for both fully covering, non form-fitting (loose?), flat shoe/boots and then also more form-fitting, revealing, high-heel
    shoe/boots etc. that people can choose between - then why should this ever be seen as a problem? Although some people personally may not like one or the other style, why should others not be able to use them?

I think AOC is going for practicality when it comes to armour, hence why a "reveling", "sexy" armour would not make sense. Though maybe a revealing armour could work with the tattoo enchantments idea someone brought up
  • Options
    234Graph234Graph Member
    edited May 2022
    Zahie wrote: »
    I don't think it's simply about hate against sexy female characters.
    It's more about the sexual objectifying of female game characters and females in general.
    So far every girl that has commented has been in favor of making sexy characters though. So who is getting upset about sexualizing's women? Most of this topic isn't about putting women in mini bikinis or anything, just more feminine armor that is form fitting and sexy looking. Wouldn't you agree that most women would like the option to make their character sexy from time to time and feel sexy as they play? If you look back at page one the post by @Leiloni was a good example of sexy but still practical. I'm in agreement that bikini armor is a bit immersion breaking because how does it protect anything lol but I think a lot of this thread is just asking for armor that is more sexy than what we are getting currently. NOT full stripper mode lol

Let's be honest, all those people could be men posing as women.
  • Options
    NeliryaNelirya Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    234Graph wrote: »
    Zahie wrote: »
    I don't think it's simply about hate against sexy female characters.
    It's more about the sexual objectifying of female game characters and females in general.
    So far every girl that has commented has been in favor of making sexy characters though. So who is getting upset about sexualizing's women? Most of this topic isn't about putting women in mini bikinis or anything, just more feminine armor that is form fitting and sexy looking. Wouldn't you agree that most women would like the option to make their character sexy from time to time and feel sexy as they play? If you look back at page one the post by @Leiloni was a good example of sexy but still practical. I'm in agreement that bikini armor is a bit immersion breaking because how does it protect anything lol but I think a lot of this thread is just asking for armor that is more sexy than what we are getting currently. NOT full stripper mode lol

We COULD be. Or goodness forbid, we could be women who are expressing our honest opinions, imagine that? :smile:
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    234Graph wrote: »

I'd rather we not speculate as to who is and is not. Take people at their word unless they are inconsistent about it.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    SinderSinder Member
    I feel that because this topic keeps appearing there's been a failure on the part of the art department/community team to assuage people's fears that the game will be full of mainly plate coverings and there will be a lack of elegant and feminine design.
    wbauorbolxt1.png
  • Options
    DeftlyDeftly Member
    Agreed. Been playing MMORPGs my whole life, and in every game I'd say that 80% of my friends/guildmembers are women. Most of them LOVE the more feminine/skimpy outfits and costumes and mogs. The only thing they dislike is when skimpy clothes are the ONLY option for female characters.

I kind of am tired of seeing guys on these forums be so adamantly against "revealing" or "feminine" armor or cosmetics, like the Devs should listen to the ladies on this matter IMO.

Makeup is another thing that many games don't really put any effort into adding into the character creator that I see get a lot of flack from female players. The key thing in both cases in options, for male and female both.

I don't think the devs should only listen to women on this matter because I play female characters as well.

This doesn't need to be a man vs woman thing. Just make it flexible so everyone gets what they want. There are some women who play male characters, and I couldn't see myself saying, " they don't get a say in this."
  • Options
    LithionLithion Member
    Deftly wrote: »
    I don't think the devs should only listen to women on this matter because I play female characters as well.

This doesn't need to be a man vs woman thing. Just make it flexible so everyone gets what they want. There are some women who play male characters, and I couldn't see myself saying, " they don't get a say in this."
    I agree! I'm a guy but i only play women in games, and i love being able to have badass outfits for them.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Nelirya wrote: »
    We COULD be. Or goodness forbid, we could be women who are expressing our honest opinions, imagine that? :smile:

Unreasonable!
    Who could ever make such assumption?
    It's better to just judge people in bad faith and expected every single person asking for something so absurd as expecting female character in a game to have the possibility of wearing feminine cloths/armors which acentuates their femininity to be thirsty neckbeard gamers for the sake of virtue signaling. :D
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    JhorenJhoren Member
    edited May 2022
    IMO, heavy armor should not show any skin period. It looks super stupid. It doesn't have to be full plate, but definitely everything covered in sturdy looking armor. Also for women.

Medium and light, sure, show some skin if it fits the culture ingame, but cover the vital organs at the very least. Boob-windows also look stupid for armor. Armor can be plenty feminine without any skin showing at all.

High heels are straight up a no-go in any situation involving armor and combat.

Intrepid is leaning heavily towards cosmetic items, but I really, really hope they don't let players wearing heavy plate put on cosmetic items (other than the full body suits) that shows the player in a revealing evening gown. I hope they match the cosmetics with the proper armor class items.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2022
    *meh*
    If it's all based on mundane, non-magical European armor. Sure.
    Verra is a high magic world. Which includes illusions.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Jhoren wrote: »

This is a pet peeve of mine. No high heels please.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    *meh*

I agree with that. FFXIV had glamours a.k.a illusions that explained these things. I also agree that high heels and bikini armor are a no go. That shouldn't mean I can't have a nice set of armor that looks appealing. Maybe a nice pair a boots while i'm at it?
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    IMO, heavy armor should not show any skin period. It looks super stupid. It doesn't have to be full plate, but definitely everything covered in sturdy looking armor. Also for women.

Medium and light, sure, show some skin if it fits the culture ingame, but cover the vital organs at the very least. Boob-windows also look stupid for armor. Armor can be plenty feminine without any skin showing at all.

Intrepid is leaning heavily towards cosmetic items, but I really, really hope they don't let players wearing heavy plate put on cosmetic items (other than the full body suits) that shows the player in a revealing evening gown. I hope they match the cosmetics with the proper armor class items.

I wasn't gonna weigh in on this thread (figured I'd catch the next train) but I've just thought about something based on some design stuff I watched another group member do a while back for a character model.

Though some of the kinematics would be affected, there are a lot of situations in which this doesn't have to be a binary choice, relative to exposed spots on armor and heels. I have no skin in the game here because I hate clothes and run around with as much skin exposed as possible (to keep cool, you see), and while I absolutely see how one can consider that sexualized, or even to want to do so because it makes one feel attractive, wearing as little as possible just comes to mind as my default because I... don't like clothes.

I would love a game where armor sets had certain 'layer points' that you could just turn off. Sometimes it's cloaks, sometimes it's the hood, sometimes it's a scarf or other decoration, so now I wonder... why not heels? Why not back-out portions and if necessary, even 'boob windows'.

I don't like the idea of forcing anyone to wear more clothes than they want to, though obviously I'll swing in the direction of realism, but we've been talking about 'clothes that accentuate the form' as a way of getting around this and producing something 'tasteful' (no one's words but mine). That's not gonna fly for me, because given that incredible character creator, and the variations in races, we aren't going to know what that means for base models, far less individual players.

So, yeah, I want back-out top armor on Cleric. I want others to be able to sling the heels if they want to, in the same armor set, without me having to do it. I want our cosmetic options to go beyond 'color' and 'is my cape on or not'. If Intrepid has got us to the point of 'tattoos', I want everyone to be able to roll up their sleeves and walk around with their rippling biceps and whatnot on display, be they male or female, Ren'Kai or Nikua, without even thinking about 'why did Intrepid give that heels?'

I wanna think "why did that PLAYER give that outfit the heels?"

Except not really, I want to just never think about it at all because it's someone else's choice. If Ulricht Stormhammer of the Dunir Royal Guard has his bare chest revealed and is swinging a halberd around in 3-inch heels, well good for him for being three inches taller.

Thank you for enduring my rant.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    LithionLithion Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    *meh*

This. It also includes magical enchantments and tattoos. Like i can probably have a max level ring that gives more defense than a full set of level 1 gear lol. Thats why i never understood the "cant show skin or it breaks immersion" thing. Like, were in a world of magic and the rules of our world don't apply here. its also a video game
  • Options
    LeiloniLeiloni Member
    edited May 2022
    Armor can be plenty feminine without any skin showing at all.

Why can't I have both feminine armor that also shows skin? And make it heavy armor if I want to be more survivable? And heels make armor look more feminine, which is a huge problem with heavy plate armor, so that's a stylistic choice that makes us women feel prettier. It's less of an issue with leather or cloth.

But I don't want to be forced to wear in game armor merely for it's looks - I want whatever weight armor I choose to look pretty so I can make the best build choice for my character.

We have horns and tails and fling magic - reality was never on the table. If I want to look pretty, who are you to tell me no? Because you feel like it's not "appropriate"? Who decides that in a high fantasy video game? Let players have choices.

I felt like my Aion examples were stylish and tame and something everyone could agree on. I'd be ok with even more skin, but those are probably the best way to go.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2022
    Hmm, fully customizable gear huh. You could design certain layers of the outfit to be separated (if they aren't already) on the back end fairly easily I would imagine. Might be harder on some pre-existing outfits than others due to lack of clear segmented layers, but once this design strategy was adopted as a guideline it'd be easier and easier to add new outfits with this capacity.

I wouldn't expect this to be hard to implement given everything I know about the back end tech for this kind of thing and the design process for cosmetics. A couple months at most (and really the less they care about clipping the easier on the amount of time it'd take up.) I don't think it really need to be available at launch in a perfect form as long as we know that it's a priority post launch in either case meaning they have plenty of time/resources to achieve something like this in the long term.

It certainly would offer the ultimate form of choice on an outfit and make the question of 'more skin showing vs not' kind of moot. It certainly would assuage MY particular worries since Intrepid would be incentivized to make even MORE armor that skewed towards 'hard' designs that can be 'softened' depending on which layers you reduce.

The more clothing/layers pre-existing on outfits in such a system, the more customizable it could be, and therefore while there would certainly still be outfits that just had less layers than others and were more skewed towards dresses and such, the player base would over time incentivize intrepid towards more customization (if choice is really more important to people) with the their wallets.

You mean I can have the same outfit skew sexy at sometimes and badass in others? Or even mix and match layers to get things just right to my own taste rather than it being decided from the start in a board room? That's the ultimate dream to me! IS would certainly get a ton of money from me if they game was good and they implemented something like this.

I like the idea a lot the more I think about it, although they'd need to have several templates for the work flow to keep the outfits from feeling too cookie cutter. Better yet, maybe there are different types of layering you could apply via different blue prints... It'd take more resource to implement that way, but it'd keep things fresh in the long run and could be a continuing development goal after launch. Either way it's a very achievable goal given everything I have seen about their back end so far via the cc and the skill their art team shows, so I wouldn't worry about it taking up too many resources from other things in the slightest.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    FreyaFreya Member
    Kreed wrote: »
    I agree, players who chose a female character should be able to dress their character up in a fashion that makes them look really good and has some sex appeal.

male characters too. appearance shouldnt be locked to the player gender but customizable so either can look as masculine,androgynous or feminine as they want
  • Options
    LeiloniLeiloni Member
    The monthly cosmetic this month is a perfect example of what we're asking Intrepid not to do. Even in concept art they're not even trying to make this gear fit the female form better and have a different, more feminine design. Frankly it's ugly. This is the level of ugly I expect from New World (and I wrote in many a forum thread the same thing I'm writing here, albeit in more detail because I had in game armor screenshots to criticize). Please Intrepid change direction while it's still early.

monthly_cosmetics_05_20221920---Voyager-Plus---Background_JPG.jpg?fm=webp&q=80&w=1280
  • Options
    WuqingYeWuqingYe Member
    edited May 2022
    As a fellow girl, I completely agree on this point. Even though I play a lot of male characters, I still love to have the option of cute or sexy options for when I do play as a female. Obviously, as you've stated, Intrepid wants to keep a more realistic approach to the world of Verra but I would definitely love to see some of the more effeminate options available as well. There are many ways to keep realism in the game while tackling the task of incorporating a cute armor look! I hope they do this! I have a soft spot for frills and I'd love to make a girl alt who wears plenty of them :')
  • Options
    Leiloni wrote: »
    The monthly cosmetic this month is a perfect example of what we're asking Intrepid not to do. Even in concept art they're not even trying to make this gear fit the female form better and have a different, more feminine design. Frankly it's ugly. This is the level of ugly I expect from New World (and I wrote in many a forum thread the same thing I'm writing here, albeit in more detail because I had in game armor screenshots to criticize). Please Intrepid change direction while it's still early.

monthly_cosmetics_05_20221920---Voyager-Plus---Background_JPG.jpg?fm=webp&q=80&w=1280

I'm not sure what you mean here, so I'm genuinely asking. Looking at that set, i can't think of what someone would want to be different about it? To me personally, this looks exactly normal and what I would want. The underlying form of the character would determine the overall look of this gear.

So, uh... what would you want changed here?

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited May 2022
    Azherae wrote: »

I'm not sure what you mean here, so I'm genuinely asking. Looking at that set, i can't think of what someone would want to be different about it? To me personally, this looks exactly normal and what I would want. The underlying form of the character would determine the overall look of this gear.

So, uh... what would you want changed here?

It simply isnt modeled for female gamers. It's a copy paste of the male design.
    Personally I like the low quality monthly cosmetics. They keep their word when they said "best stuff will be found ingame".

Now back to the topic...

Just like if you asked every guy "would you like to look stronger", they would all say yes, similalry all girls would say yes when asked "would you like to look more attractive." And vise versa.

No guy or girl would say yes to "would you like to seem more average?".

And that is shown by players (both male and female) creating strong and goodlooking male or female characters.
    Some irronically create funny looking characters.

Does this mean bikini armors? No. Should there not be high heels? No.

This months cosmetic is a safe female model. Average. The female gamers and horny dudes on this topic have posted good looking female designs.

The politically motivated people on this topic have talked about sexualization and objectification of the female armors, have called for revealing male outfits here, instead of creating a topic "we want revealing male designs and here are some pictures", some have mentioned cross dressing which is offtopic. I for one dont care if the devs allow for male characters to wear wedding dresses. It's still offtopic.

Some go the other route of cant have openings in the armor to show boobs, it's not realistic. Ye right, because taking 10 sword hits or fireballs is realistic.
    Should we make armors looking like modern day bomb disarm gear? More realistic for you? Shut up....
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Let go of your hate people...

Realize that those that feed you scripts on the name of equality between sexes and sexual prefrences arent looking to heal, but divide, since they NEVER cured the social diseases, but just treated the symptoms.
    Division serves them, and the more you attack each other the more you further their goals. All the same like being their mouth piece.

What's wrong with having video game armors (spoiler alert: no real) look attractive since people want them?
    They themselves have stated "no to bikinis and asian anime female forms".
    Why do you keep on hating?

How can we argue about attractive armors in a video game, when in real life those that pretend to speak against inequality and female objefication collect taxes from onlyfans.

Is this the fight for female empowerement online? Video game armor conservatism while our classmates daughters, sisters friends etc etc do onlyfans?

There should be realistic armors, attractive armors, high heels, no heels. It's ok. It's not a "male dominated blah blah blah" crime.
    There shouldnt be bikini armors and anime boobs and waists. It's REAL sexualization, with minors exposed to it.
  • Options

It's 'a design'. It fits both. I want it, just not in that color. My hype for gear pieces in Ashes when I see the below:

529px-armorleak.image.png

That's probably all that's worth saying to that...

• Options

It's 'a design'. It fits both. I want it, just not in that color. My hype for gear pieces in Ashes when I see the below:

Nothing worth saying if you aim to score status quo balance points. And that's all Im getting from your posts.

"It's a design". You dont say. Could we do without it? 100%. It doesnt amaze anybody. Except you, when you pretend to.
    Video games need to amaze and excite gamers. Not making sure they dont risk "offending".
  • Options

Nothing worth saying if you aim to score status quo balance points. And that's all Im getting from your posts.

"It's a design". You dont say. Could we do without it? 100%. It doesnt amaze anybody. Except you, when you pretend to.
    Video games need to amaze and excite gamers. Not making sure they dont risk "offending".

If it is this difficult for you to respect the preferences of others, there's not much to say.

Intrepid, please keep doing what you're doing, there's a specific piece that I liked so much that I absolutely want it, but I couldn't find it to add to the post and make the point, so I chose the closest thing.

It's really not my business whether or not others 'don't believe I can be real' because I think that armor type looks coolest, it's only my business whether or not I get my armor, and preferably without preventing others from getting theirs.

You can just assume everything I said is 'pretense', George, that way you don't have to engage on it any further. As long as I get the armor and similar armor, it's fine if you don't believe I'm real.

• Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member

Your opinion. And that’s all it is.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

The above costume isn't my cup of tea either, but the gear is clearly fitting the female form. You can at a glance immediately see which one is male and female. Bosom, waist, hips are clearly different. I get you don't like the aesthetic, but for what it is, the form is perfectly fine and distinctive. Sometimes they differentiate a lot between male and female, and sometimes they are similar. In Alpha 1 they even changed the color of a cloak depending on the sex of the wearer.

In the past they've sometimes differentiated heavily between male and female designs for some costumes. These below look very different depending on which sex wears the exact same costume piece:

4._Costume_PNG_original-1920.png
    costumes.png
    Monthly_Cosmetics_-_2_-_2019_-_Costumes.png

They have also made some where the difference is less blatant, but still with distinctive design differences based on the sex. For example this armor set:

costume.png

And then we have some like the current one where the design is almost a mirror, but the shape is clearly form fitting and different between male and female.

I like the variety. I certainly don't want all the costumes to be wildly different between male and female, but on the flip-side I am also happy some are, and that some are close in design, yet still different.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2022
    I don't like male versin of this month's cosmetic either.
    But, it's OK to have some sets that are basically gender-neutral.

For me, how feminine I want my armor depends on the specific character and class.
    And personality. I've had at least one character who is a male skank in sexily revealing armor.
    And one male character who likes to appear a bit more feminine without being a skank.