Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Female Expression In AoC

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Leiloni wrote: »
    Azherae wrote: »
    All of those sets you linked only look good one one of the two sexes.

This part right here, this precise part is the part where you have to understand that this is entirely your opinion in every way and that giving you what you want is not as good (in total) as doing what FFXIV does.

And this is the ONLY reason I hope Intrepid ignores your opinion, not even your desire. I hope they make lots of gear. I hope they make it fit both approx the same, and I hope they make something that you like on your female character.

But I absolutely do not hope that 'the equivalent of the Female Bale Set in FFXIV' looks different because you happen to not like full plate armor.

EDIT: Out of curiosity actually, which of the two Hattori ones is 'correct' to you?

I don't want unisex armor.

I mean, sorry... but the monthly cosmetics already show a lot of unisex armor sets.

Even so, @Leiloni has just seriously said...

"This guy should have shoulderpads to make the armor look more masculine, and the colors of this armor are not feminine enough."

I feel like they have a much lower bar for 'unisex' than some of us.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    LeiloniLeiloni Member
    edited July 2022
    Here's another one of those sets (the purple chain set) in both male vs female -

5j7x3d7a2ge2.jpg

pgt0h7l86pgx.jpg
  • Options

If the style is the same for male vs female it's unisex.

• Options

Yes sorry, that's why I put it in quotes.

I mostly just wanted to understand your perspective to see if there was some chance I could agree with it, maybe I misunderstood you or something.

But you've made it very clear that you have opinions on the 'masculinity' and 'femininity' of shoulderpads, colors, and I'll also assume helmets and boots. So now I'm completely sure that I disagree with you and that I don't misunderstand you.

Again, I truly hope that you do get something you want. Unless that 'something you want' is to prevent male characters from wearing https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/gearset/dancers

In which case I must vehemently object.

• Options

I mostly just wanted to understand your perspective to see if there was some chance I could agree with it, maybe I misunderstood you or something.

But you've made it very clear that you have opinions on the 'masculinity' and 'femininity' of shoulderpads, colors, and I'll also assume helmets and boots. So now I'm completely sure that I disagree with you and that I don't misunderstand you.

Again, I truly hope that you do get something you want. Unless that 'something you want' is to prevent male characters from wearing https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/gearset/dancers

I think armor should be designed in a way that makes sense for that piece of armor. This for example the male and female have different styles to fit each better, but it's still the same overall type of look -

992px-Magistrate_of_the_Sands.png

But this one is the same and that's also fine. The outfit looks good on both of them and more importantly, makes sense for the style of outfit that it is -

Feyguard%27s_Vengeance.png

This however doesn't make sense. The concept artist made no attempt to even show the female form. Her body looks exactly like the male in every way. No boobs, no hips. And why does one have a hood and one doesn't? I'd prefer the outfit for the female be more close fitting to actually show her body. Then some design elements make no sense for a female, such as the top coming down over the thighs and splitting in the middle. You see that in a lot of male armor but it feels too bulky and seems to have no purpose for the female. And the crisscross straps across the chest? That's uncomfortable with boobs and in real life, we avoid it when possible. Further, it doesn't seem to serve any purpose on this set for either of them.

Harvest_Guard.png

As for your FFXIV Dancer outfit it's fine. The look in general is a bit too silly for my personal tastes, but the design makes sense for both.

• Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member
    As a Female MMO gamer I would like to suggest giving more effeminate options in armor styles. My concern is that I would like to have the option for dressing effeminately. The reason I am suggesting to make it optional is so people can dress as feminine or masculine or neutral as the player choses. This aids players self expression. Different armor styles as well as jewelry and makeup would be very helpful in this goal. I understand that you would like to keep things on the more practical side but this could be stifling to the communities creativity. Self expression and fashion is very important to me as a player I would like as many options as possible in creating my character.

it's not enough to have a bust, a female expression rig would be really fun because women have different behavior than men and that makes them feminine features, their delicate movements, their grace and sweetness can all be applied using motion capture, Steven take a minute to analyze the feedback.

There is something deeply wrong with you if you actually think there is some mystical ‘sweetness’ in the way women walk. If Intrepid puts a hip-sway bullshit walk in this game for female characters then I have no hope for anything in this game being good.
  • Options
    B_B_ZB_B_Z Member

I think armor should be designed in a way that makes sense for that piece of armor. This for example the male and female have different styles to fit each better, but it's still the same overall type of look -

992px-Magistrate_of_the_Sands.png

But this one is the same and that's also fine. The outfit looks good on both of them and more importantly, makes sense for the style of outfit that it is -

This however doesn't make sense. The concept artist made no attempt to even show the female form. Her body looks exactly like the male in every way. No boobs, no hips. And why does one have a hood and one doesn't? I'd prefer the outfit for the female be more close fitting to actually show her body. Then some design elements make no sense for a female, such as the top coming down over the thighs and splitting in the middle. You see that in a lot of male armor but it feels too bulky and seems to have no purpose for the female. And the crisscross straps across the chest? That's uncomfortable with boobs and in real life, we avoid it when possible. Further, it doesn't seem to serve any purpose on this set for either of them.

Harvest_Guard.png

As for your FFXIV Dancer outfit it's fine. The look in general is a bit too silly for my personal tastes, but the design makes sense for both.

I think that armor looks appropriate for the female. It's armor, which primary purpose is to protect the wearer from injury and desth not to show off their boobs, tiny watse or big butt. Also not all woman have large breasts or have a "perfect female" form. I think the design artist is doing a pretty good job. I expect some armors will exsentuate the female form more than others.

When I watch a fantasy show and the female character has a tight leather piece on that pushes up her boobs and shows mass cleavage I roll my eyes. Its not practical, and solely their for eye candy.

Like I said before just because its a magical world doenst mean we should suspend all realism or practicality. Those armors look pretty practical for a fantasy game and I appreciate that.
  • Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    edited July 2022
    For a game relying on cosmetics on an equal or potentially better level to subscription....

Intreprid does not make the best shit :lol:

@B_B_Z not surprised at all that you would dodge my earlier post, given that you artistry tastes are only sided toward the side of practicality. This goes even further beyond the tight constraints of LotR fantasy, the exceptional fighters and casters did not wear absolutely everything.

People in most cases want their character to stand out, Intreprid is not showing that and with their recent Dwarf cosmetics revealed, we are pawns on a chess board, not characters who can potentially shape the course of the world.
  • Options
    ElderElder Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Variants of the monthly cosmetics are being used to populate the world, therefore they may not necessarily be designed with player aesthetic as a priority.

It may potentially be the case that cosmetics designed post release are more expressive of unique player aesthetics.
    Which is the greater folly, summoning the demon or expecting gratitude from it?
    gif.gif
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member
    Here's another one of those sets (the purple chain set) in both male vs female -

5j7x3d7a2ge2.jpg

pgt0h7l86pgx.jpg

This a great example of what not to do when designing armor!

The male character gets full body coverage with (presumably enchanted) thick cloth. It looks interesting AND practical!

And then they gave the female character a miniskirt and high heels and sheer cloth that looks practically vacuformed. It’s such an blatant double standard I’m shocked anyone would actually claim that’s a good standard to follow
  • Options
    B_B_ZB_B_Z Member
    NishUK wrote: »
    For a game relying on cosmetics on an equal or potentially better level to subscription....

Intreprid does not make the best shit :lol:

@B_B_Z not surprised at all that you would dodge my earlier post, given that you artistry tastes are only sided toward the side of practicality. This goes even further beyond the tight constraints of LotR fantasy, the exceptional fighters and casters did not wear absolutely everything.

People in most cases want their character to stand out, Intreprid is not showing that and with their recent Dwarf cosmetics revealed, we are pawns on a chess board, not characters who can potentially shape the course of the world.

I havent read your earlier post nor this most recent one. I read the first few sentences and wasnt jnterested and then saw you wrote me a 10 paragraph essay which I wasnt and still am not interested in reading.

I'll read and respond to which posts interest me, I have no obligation to read or respond to yours.

Have a good day.
  • Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    @B_B_Z absolutely incredible stance, ignoring opinions and alternatives and you're just happy continuing to champion less or in some cases zero exposure in gaming.

living by ignorance automatically makes you right, so I'll applaud you for that.
    Meanwhile AoC needs to make a good living off of a sub + cosmetics, you'd do well to remember that.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2022
    Caeryl I think you just dislike attractive people.
  • Options
    It's so weird to see how some people try to push their personal subjective design opinion as a universal empirical concept....

Completely disregarding and dispising any design that deviate from their ideal as if all designs should just be the way they want for the sake of things like "realism"(in a fantasy setting) with no possibility of variety and creativity.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    It's so weird to see how some people try to push their personal subjective design opinion as a universal empirical concept....

Completely disregarding and dispising any design that deviate from their ideal as if all designs should just be the way they want for the sake of things like "realism"(in a fantasy setting) with no possibility of variety and creativity.

t3qkhrohrh321.jpg

• Options

t3qkhrohrh321.jpg

The second half has the sauce. :D

6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Given how hideous this months cosmetic armor is I feel like this is a perfect time to come back to this discussion. For anyone who hasn't seen this month's armor set yet, here it is -

08_20221920---Costume.png
    This makes me want to download NWO so I can try to recreate the flirty outfits I had my male Rogue wear.
    I think this armor is great for what it is.

But, sure...
    I wouldn't mind seeing some more feminine attire that my gender-queer male characters or non-binary or androgynous characters might also wear. In addition to my female characters.
  • Options
    Dolyem wrote: »
    Can we all at least agree that Stuffertons was a mistake and we should all KoS anyone riding one?
    Nope. I'm still hoping to find a Stufferton equivalent in-game.
  • Options
    Well, I believe it really comes down to that, doesn't it?

You don't like what you consider unisex armor. For me (and again maybe Intrepid), that isn't even the way to think about it. Armor is armor. You look good in what you think you look good in. I hope you get some glamor sets once they are past the main crop of cosmetics.

As for your current problem, remember that cosmetics we buy right now are actually 'designs for NPCs' and if Intrepid's design scope is similar to FF games where the NPCs don't have 'sexed' armor, then we probably won't see any 'explicitly' different ones for a while. And then we'd have to define what that is.

I don't expect them to change much given this, but I hope you get something cool to wear from later cosmetics.
    Yeah...
    I think...(?) I want outfits to be mostly unisex. I don't want my female characters to be forced into to an overly girly version of an outfit just because of the sex they were assigned at birth.
    I'd much rather it be similar to what's implied by this month's armor... people who choose that armor set choose to be fully covered in plate. People of any gender.

But, we should also see sets similar to those examples from FFXIV, where people who want more revealing armor will wear the more revealing armor.

Also, we will be abe to mix and match the in-game attire, so... you should be able to be as feminine as you hope to be.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

What is it that makes the outfit look good on both of them??
    It's pretty much the same outfit - but it shows some midriff... on both.

Harvest_Guard.png
    I mean... I'm pretty sure boob sliders and hip sliders in Character Creator will change the silhouette of the female armor. Some women are petite and some women don't want to accentuate their boobs and hips.
    I'm not sure what that has to do with the design of the armor.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Thank you Dygz for covering all bases. I am not the one that gives out the points, but I am sure whoever does will give them to you. Clap clap clap.

Moving on. Just as people were screaming against greatswords, and advocated for two-handed swords instead, arguing with semantics and calling upon realism, we all saw the sword on the recent update. It looked great, it looked big, and whoever got offended for feeling momenteraly inadequate gave me a delight.

I am sure there will be attractive designs for heavy, robe, leather for the ladies to dress up nicely and many male characters will wear them as well.
    And whoever here arguess against this will rage and then forget all about it.

And I will say this once again. I am glad that so far the monthly cosmetics, that can be purchase with real money, will look worse than ingame armors. I will never understand why ppl fomo over them....
    They are solid designs for NPCs and will make the world look better than all other mmos.
  • Options
    LeiloniLeiloni Member
    edited July 2022
    Dygz wrote: »
    Well, I believe it really comes down to that, doesn't it?

You don't like what you consider unisex armor. For me (and again maybe Intrepid), that isn't even the way to think about it. Armor is armor. You look good in what you think you look good in. I hope you get some glamor sets once they are past the main crop of cosmetics.

As for your current problem, remember that cosmetics we buy right now are actually 'designs for NPCs' and if Intrepid's design scope is similar to FF games where the NPCs don't have 'sexed' armor, then we probably won't see any 'explicitly' different ones for a while. And then we'd have to define what that is.

I don't expect them to change much given this, but I hope you get something cool to wear from later cosmetics.
    Yeah...
    I think...(?) I want outfits to be mostly unisex. I don't want my female characters to be forced into to an overly girly version of an outfit just because of the sex they were assigned at birth.
    I'd much rather it be similar to what's implied by this month's armor... people who choose that armor set choose to be fully covered in plate. People of any gender.

But, we should also see sets similar to those examples from FFXIV, where people who want more revealing armor will wear the more revealing armor.

Also, we will be abe to mix and match the in-game attire, so... you should be able to be as feminine as you hope to be.

My problem is that 99% of MMO's who get lazy (yes it's a lazy choice not to properly design and fit armor for a female and a male separately) and make unisex armor merely make armor for the male and then make a slightly smaller version for the female. We've seen plenty of that here already, it was an issue in New World, and plenty of older MMO's have done it as well. We end up with less variety and less choice, not more.
  • Options

Harvest_Guard.png
    I mean... I'm pretty sure boob sliders and hip sliders in Character Creator will change the silhouette of the female armor. Some women are petite and some women don't want to accentuate their boobs and hips.

The armor is going to fit the character model the same for every character regardless of how you big or small you make your toon. This armor doesn't fit her is the problem. It's bulky and too big instead of more form-fitting.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Q477fEg.jpg

ouIcNAv.jpg

l96ectD.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Harvest_Guard.png

The armor is going to fit the character model the same for every character regardless of how you big or small you make your toon. This armor doesn't fit her is the problem. It's bulky and too big instead of more form-fitting.

Dont bother Leiloni. Political agendas should be obvious by now in this thread. That, and some people are very prude. But dont worry too much about those npc designs.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Harvest_Guard.png

Dont bother Leiloni. Political agendas should be obvious by now in this thread. That, and some people are very prude. But dont worry too much about those npc designs.

Seriously? You're the only one who is trying to make this thread political. Please just stick to arguing what your preferences are and drop the white knight culture warrior BS. Yeah I am being blunt here, but you seem like a person who appreciates being blunt.

• Options
    Nerror wrote: »

Harvest_Guard.png

Seriously? You're the only one who is trying to make this thread political. Please just stick to arguing what your preferences are and drop the white knight culture warrior BS. Yeah I am being blunt here, but you seem like a person who appreciates being blunt.

Last time I was given a villainous. How did you get white knight culture warrior from all this?
    Yes I am serious. I have heard all weird attacks on feminine looks from heels to armor is armor.
    Have you not read every single post in this thread, including the latest gem by dygz, who went through the most round-about way of showing some support for feminine design?
    Unlike the other threads that drag on forever, this one has true importance and I've read every response.
    Yes I am serious that people here dismiss views that want both male and female designs in a videogame, under the pretext of realism. Btw, go and look into the drawings in the classic D'Artagnan novels. The musketeers there wore boots with heels and in many movies and other pop culture media there are female queens and warriors wearing armors with boob plates, not just male equipment.
    If you are blind and want to keep mute as well on this issue, do so, it's ok, you dont even have to blush and say "yeah Im blunt, with your permission".

Yes I will speak out and directly. And if I was a woman I would ask for intrepids intentions on ingame heavy robe and medium design on this months Q&A.
    And you may think that I care for politics, but you havent said a word about those who call others names for having a different view.
    Are you afraid of the many? They are an easier target from the one that stands strong. Dont take aim at me when you feel "blunt".

• Options
    edited July 2022
    ... it's ok, you dont even have to blush and say "yeah Im blunt, with your permission".

:D Ok that was actually funny :) It's not a permission thing, I am just naturally more inclined towards more diplomatic phrasing. It yields better results. But probably not with you, and that was all I meant :smile:

Anyways, back on topic:
    I have heard all weird attacks on feminine looks from heels to armor is armor.
    Have you not read every single post in this thread, including the latest gem by dygz, who went through the most round-about way of showing some support for feminine design?
    Unlike the other threads that drag on forever, this one has true importance and I've read every response.
    Yes I am serious that people here dismiss views that want both male and female designs in a videogame, under the pretext of realism. Btw, go and look into the drawings in the classic D'Artagnan novels. The musketeers there wore boots with heels and in many movies and other pop culture media there are female queens and warriors wearing armors with boob plates, not just male equipment.
    <snip>

Yes I have read all the posts (skimmed some admittedly), and like anybody else here, I can only speak for myself and my own preferences.

I completely disagree with the premise that feminine looks on armor must include high heels or cleavage/boob windows or showing thighs or be super form fitting to show curves at the cost of the efficacy of the armor, or the other examples that have been linked here. All that stuff can look amazing as clothes and light armor, and I have no problems with costumes like that existing in the game for women and men. Just not as something you would wear as heavy armor and in many cases not as medium armor either. As town clothes, sure, go absolutely nuts in evening gowns, or as a guy if someone prefers to look more like Jimin from BTS I am totally cool with that too.

The same thing goes for the men obviously. A few pieces of metal and leather covering the groin, head and wrists, showing off an impressive figure (Conan), doesn't suddenly make it heavy or medium armor either. It's light armor at best, and even that is being generous to the term "armor".

I completely understand the pop culture influence here, from movies, anime, games and drawings etc. I don't blame people for wanting it either. I get it and there's no judgment from me. But I don't like it for armor sets in this game, including on other people, so I push back against it. I think it looks stupid in pop culture too. I don't like Stufferton either. I don't think it fits the game at all, and it shouldn't have been included. Same thing.
  • Options
    Ok so here is the bottom of the line...
    I want feminine options for the armor designs. You dont because it looks stupid and not realistic.

Nobody will ever convice the other side, and I dont care much for the "stupid" or "weirdo" insults going around in this forum, directed at girls wanting to look good.

I find the arguments regarding realism as nonsense since it's a fantasy videogame. They are alrdy doing it in other media, ofc they should be in games. And I am against silencing those views especially when talks of "sexualization" come to the conversation.
    I find all that as misguided activism since as you have seen in the news, real issues trouble real people. And I spoke against that.

There is no wrong or right about revealing armor in a game, based on logic.
    There is a right and a wrong about the way people go about their views and their judgement of their opponents.

And that's all there is to it.

• Options
    Ok so here is the bottom of the line...
    I want feminine options for the armor designs. You dont because it looks stupid and not realistic.

You are misrepresenting my stance.

I don't mind feminine options for armor. I reject the notion that femininity is defined so narrowly that it must include stuff like boob windows or bare midriffs or high heels, that significantly reduce the efficacy of the armor in combat.

Here's a great example with several pictures of female plate armor: https://armstreet.com/store/armor/female-armor-kit-made-of-blackened-spring-steel-dark-star

It's not over the top feminine no, but still clearly made for a woman.