Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Leveling Speed

12346»

Comments

• Options
    FlankerFlanker Member
    @Xeeg don't wanna quote that long message, but you can add Enchanting to the list as well
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • Options
    It can be even slower the leveling speed doesnt really matter but the problem is most of the games on the market you cannot do anything fun in the game until you reach max level so if it will be like that i would like it to be faster. if leveling enjoyable and you can still do fun contents and play the game like normal doesnt really matter
  • Options
    It can be even slower the leveling speed doesnt really matter but the problem is most of the games on the market you cannot do anything fun in the game until you reach max level so if it will be like that i would like it to be faster. if leveling enjoyable and you can still do fun contents and play the game like normal doesnt really matter

Can be true. But for me it's mainly an économical issue (between other potential issues) I don't to grind just for grinding. I alway liked crating and doing business in game (in real life too). In MMO's I like when you can find, craft, sell items a good price, whatever you are level 10 or 50.

• Options
    I think the game should push you to get max level no matter what. It only depends if the leveling process is enjoyable.

What i don't like about big MMOs is the HUGE gap between hardcore/long term players and casuals/new players in levels. Mainly because if the server is 4 years old and it takes 300-400h of playtime to achieve lvl 50, new players will feel like they have a too long journey to achieve the same levels as hardcore players. And this is not to say if Intrepids doesn't increase the level cap. Gw2 does this well because at a certain point in the game, we all have the same power, so it's only a matter of knowledge and build varieties.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    NiKr wrote: »
    Slower

I would love it if it took 6 to 12 months for the majority of the players to get max level.
  • Options
    XeegXeeg Member
    Smaashley wrote: »
    What i don't like about big MMOs is the HUGE gap between hardcore/long term players and casuals/new players in levels. Mainly because if the server is 4 years old and it takes 300-400h of playtime to achieve lvl 50, new players will feel like they have a too long journey to achieve the same levels as hardcore players. And this is not to say if Intrepids doesn't increase the level cap. Gw2 does this well because at a certain point in the game, we all have the same power, so it's only a matter of knowledge and build varieties.

So far I have been agreeing with Intrepid's approach to levelling. ~250 hrs to max level seems like a solid amount of time that it is a meaningful achievement to hit 50. Plus, at launch we will all be in similar stages so if we lag behind by a few weeks or so its not a big deal.

But people joining later in the game might feel like it is just 250 hours before they can "play with everyone else".

It might just be one of those issues that Ashes has to tackle as it comes. What makes great MMOs is the dev team watching the player base and responding to what is working well and what isn't. The game at launch doesn't have to be the same game 1 year later or 4 years later. They are getting a subscription fee for a reason.

Another thing to think about are exponential tiers of character power (as opposed to character level). If it takes 50 hours to get 50% of max, 250 hours to 75% of max (at level 50), and 1000 hours to 100% of max, then there is a huge time overlap where the majority of players are in the same ballpark when it comes to raw character power.

This method could allow characters to have all these different sources of character power, including levels, while still keeping the game mostly skill based. 2 level 40s could still gank a decked out 50, possibly.

They have already talked about how they aren't going to have artificial level scaling, ie; combat modifiers based on level difference, like miss +5%/level or something. So that can play into this as well.

• Options
    Ethanh37Ethanh37 Member
    edited March 16
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Ethanh37 wrote: »
    I don't agree with you and that is why i find the root of your answer tot his wrong. 25% end game content pretty much means no content. You spend all this time leveling and you have a minimal amount of content to do and there aren't even instances lmao.

not agreeing with me is fine miss Quoting me is not. i said 25% end game and if its good people will stay if not you will lose retention. the 25% end game content is the whole point of the game its the repayable loop that encompasses guild wars, caravan events, world bosses, high level uncovered raid bosses, castle sieges, high level questing that's opened due to high level nodes. and this content is repayable endlessly as its more player driven content as to where and when it will be available and when its available. and I'm not saying its like this I'm saying that how i see it would work out right now.
    You are looking at node progression in the wrong way its more like keys that unlock content with a complex form of logic tied to other events that can open up because of node growth. It isn't players of this lvl did this so content scales to these levels of players. The only scaling they talked about was dungeons becoming more difficult based on progression.

we know that nodes level up and that could be tied to other events to open up more content/events. but we don't know that it is not tied to the avg players level that gave it node exp to level. or the avg level of it citizens, or any of those thing. but you clearly say it is not. that's another opinion of yours and not a fact. as they haven't talked about a lot of the mechanics in the game, i prefer to be on the open side of thing and have a discussion where it might be possible until there a reason why it wouldn't be... and i don't see a reason why it couldn't be tied to the avg level of players gaining exp for the node.
    This also works against what they talked about having lower level and high level players coming to the same town. It would mean a level 50 town wouldn't see lower levels because its scaled to those levels for most its content.

towns wont have levels but say the avg player gain exp to a level 5 node was 50max we know the nodes around them will become vassals and so the content for the main node might be 50 and maybe one other node but the other nodes its tied to might be 40 and 30 a spread out, and that wouldnt stop anyone still going to that town and using it or even getting quests from it if you were lower level you would just have to be carefull of the PVE content in that area as its not for you yet....

again we know there are only a certain amount of higher tear nodes so there will still be plenty of lower nodes/towns for lower level players. as for "mob scaling" it is one of the worst PVE content there is(dont agree with it at all, its lazy). i like walking into a area and seeing level 35 mobs when I'm level 25 it means i shouldn't be there yet and its content i have to look forward too..

Tell me something positive about level scaling that you like? explain your best way, you could see ashes levelling work out in the world....?

Not miss quoting in fact if u are counting pvp end game in that 25% than your take is even worse than i thought....

Again you are making things up node level is not tied to the level of players leveling it up....please stop bringing up that point or bring a quote that says based on the level of people contributing the mobs in that area are of that node I've already mention how what you are saying doesnt make sense for what they are going for in previous post you are just repeating this...

You missed the point of my post... about levels. Increasing levels of lower level mobs intended for less tool set of players does not equal a greater challenge. Im leaving it at that and not talking about mob scaling as that wasnt the point of my comment.

I didn't really appreciate any one saying stop thinking or stop taking about this its a very closed mind set that really sets how people see you, so i felt the conversation with you was done how ever a really good video come out from ashes of relation and i think people should watch it. in the early part of the vid https://youtu.be/hzK_EAdCFEU?t=178 a dev is talking about commissions and how the server, the world stats and the nodes are looking at the world and the players in it to decide what content to give out to you. while he does not say the words the nodes content is chosen by the avg players with in its ZoI he does say something very similar. the video is a great example that if levelling speed is in the 500hrs mark that there is going to be so much dynamic content that it will be a joy to play though constantly different.

also predictive text made my last Question to you come out wrong and i was asking of something positive about level speed (not scaling).
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    I don't agree with you and that is why i find the root of your answer tot his wrong. 25% end game content pretty much means no content. You spend all this time leveling and you have a minimal amount of content to do and there aren't even instances lmao.

not agreeing with me is fine miss Quoting me is not. i said 25% end game and if its good people will stay if not you will lose retention. the 25% end game content is the whole point of the game its the repayable loop that encompasses guild wars, caravan events, world bosses, high level uncovered raid bosses, castle sieges, high level questing that's opened due to high level nodes. and this content is repayable endlessly as its more player driven content as to where and when it will be available and when its available. and I'm not saying its like this I'm saying that how i see it would work out right now.
    You are looking at node progression in the wrong way its more like keys that unlock content with a complex form of logic tied to other events that can open up because of node growth. It isn't players of this lvl did this so content scales to these levels of players. The only scaling they talked about was dungeons becoming more difficult based on progression.

we know that nodes level up and that could be tied to other events to open up more content/events. but we don't know that it is not tied to the avg players level that gave it node exp to level. or the avg level of it citizens, or any of those thing. but you clearly say it is not. that's another opinion of yours and not a fact. as they haven't talked about a lot of the mechanics in the game, i prefer to be on the open side of thing and have a discussion where it might be possible until there a reason why it wouldn't be... and i don't see a reason why it couldn't be tied to the avg level of players gaining exp for the node.
    This also works against what they talked about having lower level and high level players coming to the same town. It would mean a level 50 town wouldn't see lower levels because its scaled to those levels for most its content.

towns wont have levels but say the avg player gain exp to a level 5 node was 50max we know the nodes around them will become vassals and so the content for the main node might be 50 and maybe one other node but the other nodes its tied to might be 40 and 30 a spread out, and that wouldnt stop anyone still going to that town and using it or even getting quests from it if you were lower level you would just have to be carefull of the PVE content in that area as its not for you yet....

again we know there are only a certain amount of higher tear nodes so there will still be plenty of lower nodes/towns for lower level players. as for "mob scaling" it is one of the worst PVE content there is(dont agree with it at all, its lazy). i like walking into a area and seeing level 35 mobs when I'm level 25 it means i shouldn't be there yet and its content i have to look forward too..

Tell me something positive about level scaling that you like? explain your best way, you could see ashes levelling work out in the world....?

Not miss quoting in fact if u are counting pvp end game in that 25% than your take is even worse than i thought....

Again you are making things up node level is not tied to the level of players leveling it up....please stop bringing up that point or bring a quote that says based on the level of people contributing the mobs in that area are of that node I've already mention how what you are saying doesnt make sense for what they are going for in previous post you are just repeating this...

You missed the point of my post... about levels. Increasing levels of lower level mobs intended for less tool set of players does not equal a greater challenge. Im leaving it at that and not talking about mob scaling as that wasnt the point of my comment.

I didn't really appreciate any one saying stop thinking or stop taking about this its a very closed mind set that really sets how people see you, so i felt the conversation with you was done how ever a really good video come out from ashes of relation and i think people should watch it. in the early part of the vid https://youtu.be/hzK_EAdCFEU?t=178 a dev is talking about commissions and how the server, the world stats and the nodes are looking at the world and the players in it to decide what content to give out to you. while he does not say the words the nodes content is chosen by the avg players with in its ZoI he does say something very similar. the video is a great example that if levelling speed is in the 500hrs mark that there is going to be so much dynamic content that it will be a joy to play though constantly different.

also predictive text made my last Question to you come out wrong and i was asking of something positive about level speed (not scaling).

You are not understanding half the points I'm talking about so im just sounding like a broken record. There are a lot of points ive already brought up.

At the core i dont' agree with you say there is 25% end game and in that 25% you are including pvp lol. So you are pretty much saying there is nothing for people to do at max level but a few pieces of content..