Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Female Armor

So I've been showing this game to my wife. We play some games together but she only likes to play "hot girl characters". When we play League of Legends, she refuses to play "ugly champions" even if they are really good lol. So when I showed her some armor set images from AoC, she immediately asked "where's the hot girl armor?" I know AoC isn't going to have Hyper Sexualized armor, and that's fine, but will girls have some sort of flattering armor sets? Despite some people's beliefs, it's not just guys that want sexy female characters to look at. Just as some of us guys want to play the super ripped heroic fighter, our wives/girlfriends/female players want to be sexy. Any info or screenshots of such armor? Thanks!
f51pcwlbgn8a.png

Comments

• JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    They don't have any plans on doing oversexualized armor.

There have been some sets that flattering, you can see all the concept art here: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Costumes
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • BirdieBirdie Moderator, Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Realistically speaking, over-revealing armors aren't that protective 🤷‍♂️
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The "bikini armor" debate raged back and forth early on in development. Intrepid has stated a few different times that they are looking for a "high fantasy" feel and will shy away from making something sexy just for titillation. If you are looking for "Bikini's and AK's" out of the title I bet you will be disappointed. Just like there will be no overly sexualized children for another niche. There are a few concept art armors out there that may or may not be what you are looking for. From the wiki.

I'm more of the mind that it wouldn't really serve a purpose to have bikini plate armor, just in like reality, if you're going to have armor, it should be protective. I think from a fashion statement is enjoyable for some people, but it's a kind of an immersive issue.[9] – Steven Sharif

We're going for kind of a more realistic look; not necessarily realistic setting, but we want our characters to have weight and kind of feel like they're there.[9] – Jeffrey Bard

south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • superhero6785superhero6785 Member
    edited May 2020
    Thanks for the wiki link. I sent my wife some screenshots of the male/female side-by-sides. She responded "I like". So I think we are in good shape :)

I vote Intrepid gives us some previews of in-game female armor for all our girl gamers out there!
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    edited May 2020
    Thanks for the wiki link. I sent my wife some screenshots of the male/female side-by-sides. She responded, "I like". So I think we are in good shape :)

I vote Intrepid gives us some previews of in-game female armor for all our girl gamers out there!

your wife isn't the only one lol there are plenty of us male/female/other who want more flattering/tasteful armours for females.

As we have been shown in some of these monthly packs, it can be done tastefully.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It's just nice to see armour as armour and not some silly skin
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Show her the mage in the early videos. Its a nice compromise between revealing and practical.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Well even if they do not have bikini armour in most games female armour types do kind of hug their curves if you know what I mean. As for as bikini armour really do not think it adds to much to the role playing value of the game. Actually I find it kind of annoying in movies while yes they do look nice it is so far from the truth that is comical. Going into combat with with so much of your body exposed just not very smart.

Besides the full set of armour sets that we have been put out look a lot better than bikini armour. So you will look very nice.
  • Sabrina LancasterSabrina Lancaster Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2020
    There's infinitely more appeal to something that can be aesthetically pleasing and attractive without being made literally to invoke that effect.

At the very least if they really wanted to invest the resources they could make it a toggle but really, what's the point in doing that? I.E if you equip an item you can disable if it's battle bikini or full plate on a female character and that setting will show to everyone. I.E "Display as Option A or B" but that would be a lot of work that's unrealistic to ask for.

I'm just glad games are getting over the "super sexy woman characters" trope in fantasy games. It isn't that I don't like seeing it, I just hate how mandatory it can become. "Oh look, a really cool chestpiece with amazing stats. . . and it's basically a metal or leather bra. God damn it."
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Here’s a practical suit of armor that’s feminine without being exploitative.
    57c90c327d4fffcb364e8b9803c1ba54.jpg

I’m hoping their female armor is equivalent.

Hhak63P.png
  • RavudhaRavudha Member
    If it helps, you could mention that they plan to make the character creator pretty robust...so lots of options with your character's face.
    Atama wrote: »
    Here’s a practical suit of armor that’s feminine without being exploitative.
    57c90c327d4fffcb364e8b9803c1ba54.jpg

I’m hoping their female armor is equivalent.

love the grey warden armour :D

here is one I love

DUvJrLdXcAESu-k.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • xlangatangxxlangatangx Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If you look at the female armor from apocalypse, you will find it sufficiently curvy and decorative, yet still covers the entire body. It is flattering to the female form without showing skin. It was very tastefully done and hope there is more like it to come.

Still waiting for my battle kilt though...
  • FlareFlare Member, Founder
    This discussion made me wonder if there will be clothing that serves another purpose than protection. Like attractive clothing for when I go to bar in the evening or something more casual than full-plate armor when I have a shopping day in the nearest metropolis.
  • darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
  • FlashmanFlashman Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    It's one of those debates, isn't it, where some people are all, "Hey, I found a woman who'd like hot armour... so we should have it..." and others are all, "Hey, we're sick of the cliche armour for women in games..." and wherever these comments come from, and however deeply they're felt, and for whatever reason they're being said... my thought is simple.

Let the devs make the game they want, in the style they want.
    Flare wrote: »
    This discussion made me wonder if there will be clothing that serves another purpose than protection. Like attractive clothing for when I go to bar in the evening or something more casual than full-plate armor when I have a shopping day in the nearest metropolis.

I think that would be under roleplay as there would be no advantage unless you want to use a transmog
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• CaerylCaeryl Member
    blur wrote: »
    It's one of those debates, isn't it, where some people are all, "Hey, I found a woman who'd like hot armour... so we should have it..." and others are all, "Hey, we're sick of the cliche armour for women in games..." and wherever these comments come from, and however deeply they're felt, and for whatever reason they're being said... my thought is simple.

Let the devs make the game they want, in the style they want.

It’s not a “cliche” to have awfully designed armor that’s whole purpose to make women look sexually appealing, and often like some kind of amateur stripper. It’s just disrespectful and extremely cringey.
  • FlashmanFlashman Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited May 2020
    Caeryl wrote: »
    It’s not a “cliche” to have awfully designed armor that’s whole purpose to make women look sexually appealing, and often like some kind of amateur stripper. It’s just disrespectful and extremely cringey.

Then you misunderstand what I'm saying. The cliche is real. The cliche is that fantasy games, even pre-computers, have done this stuff for decades. And it perpetuates itself again and again. THAT is why it's cliche.

It is also disrespectful and cringey, yes.
  • New here, but as far as busty female armor, it's not at all practical and would actually be dangerous in real world. If you took a chest hit, or even tripped and fell over, your sternum could break.
    Roland40 wrote: »
    New here, but as far as busty female armor, it's not at all practical and would actually be dangerous in real world. If you took a chest hit, or even tripped and fell over, your sternum could break.

when is armour ever realistic in games :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Not all combat oriented gear needs to be armored, Robes and lighter hide/leather armor also should have their place on the battle field even though they would offer little to no protection from physical attacks.
    k2U15J3.png
  • WizardTimWizardTim Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'd argue that bikini armor serves as a joke.

"Ha! I wear chainmail bikini to mock your need of armor!" kind of joke.

After all, the only people who wear it are heroines. It's rarely done to show off the effectiveness of the armor, rather the skill of the warrior wearing it.

It's still dumb, but that's kind of how I work my brain around it. Otherwise, the broken logic just hurts.

I do think armor should have a weight to it, and lighter armor or even clothing should allow players to dodge further or faster.

Having the option to wear any level of armor, but also to benefit appropriately from NOT wearing it, seems appealing to me.
    Azryil wrote: »

Not all combat oriented gear needs to be armored, Robes and lighter hide/leather armor also should have their place on the battle field even though they would offer little to no protection from physical attacks.

that's why they should stay on the back lines but noooooo even forbid people stay out of melee range as a mage
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• DrEpochDrEpoch Member, Phoenix Initiative
    Here I am wanting oversized sweaters and things that look comfy. At the same time, Leather armor that is "revealing" in certain situations, plays nothing short of exploitatious. Rather, it may play in favor of diverting devious eyes from the tip of a blade. Like a magician and his tricks.
  • WizardTimWizardTim Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Fooshyy wrote: »
    Here I am wanting oversized sweaters and things that look comfy. At the same time, Leather armor that is "revealing" in certain situations, plays nothing short of exploitatious. Rather, it may play in favor of diverting devious eyes from the tip of a blade. Like a magician and his tricks.

See, I don't like the classic "distraction" excuse.

I just can't see any dude being so distracted by a woman's body that he ignores her stabbing his face. I know I'm not a typical example of a guy, but I can't believe we're all that easily dooped in a life or death situation.

I suppose a study needs to be done, or something, but I don't see half naked women as being an effective distraction.

I think armor should focus on practicality first, and appearance second. If you wear cloth armor (or just clothing), sure, show midriff. Otherwise, more serious armor shouldn't bare any part of the torso.
    Fooshyy wrote: »

tell that to a skeleton
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• BCGBCG Member, Intrepid Pack
    #NOSTRIPPERARMOR SEND THEM WEEBS AWAY !!!
    #NOSTRIPPERARMOR SEND THEM WEEBS AWAY !!!

are you saying Conan is for weebs?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• BCGBCG Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited May 2020
    If you show me orc, elfs, dragons, and dwarfs in Conan than we can talk !!!

and Conan is the best example of stripper armor!!!