Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dev Discussion #28 - Hybrid Combat

Comments

• Options
    Also like to point out they probably aren't going to address missing with abilities quite as harshly as you might think. I see no reason to be rewarded for sucking at the game. So if you do play with AC you better get good at aiming because it could be that missing a single ability makes you lose a fight.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited March 2021
    Apotos wrote: »
    Dreoh wrote: »
    Hedgemon wrote: »
    Good thing you dont have to choose one!

As a matter of fact, they do.

Actually they don't.

And in fact, you're forced to have 25% of the one you might not want.

Can you stop being stupid? Definition of choice

They can choose to have 75% TT and 25% ac or 25% TT and 75% ac. And everything in between. People have 12 abilities.

To start off, I don't know why you're suddenly so hostile.

You're right, they get to choose a playstyle up to a maximum, but they can't fully spec into their preferred playstyle, which is what I said.

They're literally stopping you from making the choice of going 100% TT or AC.

The definition of choice doesn't matter here.

It's like when you offer a child the choice of green beans or broccoli because you know they'd really choose ice cream if they could, and you're tricking them into not thinking about ice cream being a choice. I'm not saying here whether it's good or bad, all I did was point out that they don't have the choice you inferred they did.

I've gone in depth earlier in this thread about my opinions on their "forced hybrid" system so I won't rehash that here.
  • Options
    Tab combat in my opinion is awesome and allows for more creativity. Smash combat or whatever its called is mundane, sure its aim skill but i find tab combat overall more enjoyable and fun.
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Actually they don't.

They can choose to have 75% TT and 25% ac or 25% TT and 75% ac. And everything in between. People have 12 abilities.

You're right, they get to choose a playstyle up to a maximum, but they can't fully spec into their preferred playstyle, which is what I said.

It's like when you offer a child the choice of green beans or broccoli because you know they'd really choose ice cream if they could, and you're tricking them into not thinking about ice cream being a choice. I'm not saying here whether it's good or bad, all I did was point out that they don't have the choice you inferred they did.

I've gone in depth earlier in this thread about my opinions on their "forced hybrid" system so I won't rehash that here.

the green beans and broccoli analogy literally doesnt relate in anyway to the choice at hand
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member

Actually they don't.

the green beans and broccoli analogy literally doesnt relate in anyway to the choice at hand

It's not an EXACT analogy, but it's close enough.

They're letting you choose up to 75% of your preferred playstyle, but not 100%.

The 100% would be the ice cream.

You could say "Oh they're LETTING us have up to 75% of our preferred playstyle!"
    But really that only means they're not letting you play 100% of your playstyle.

Which is fine, but don't act like it's an amazing choice.
  • Options
    I have a feeling a lot of the AC abilities will be AOE and impactful. So having to have 25% when 2-3 AC skills are going to be standard and fun to use anyways wont make a big difference. I am of the opinion that you will probably be able to play with mostly tab targeting and the AC AOE abilities will still feel good and rewarding.
    Trample the dead and hurdle the fallen. Run, and you will only die tired.
  • Options
    Good idea.
    So i have a game that gathers my eso and wow friends. I prefer tab target but some skill shots would make the game more intresting and not that exhausting like wow in some cases.

The mix with tab targeting and action combat will be awesome in pvp
  • Options
    A bit late to the party, but I'm looking forward to the more action based skills.
    Tab targeting has become really boring to me over the past 15 years of playing and checking out different mmo's, I get why they do it and it's probably mostly from a technical standpoint not having to track projectiles in realtime etc.
    I like to win a battle knowing that my reflexes, skillshots etc are better because I've trained them due to practicing instead of 'oh I won because I searched this min max build up and I just lock on some1 and destroy them pressing buttons in x order'.
    I know people are going to be like 'why not play a MOBA then KEKW', well my friend, that's why MOBA's aren't dead even with 1 map for years. Landing skillshots is fun IMO
  • Options
    OrymOrym Member
    Okey just going to write a more constructive comment than my last one even if this debate is over or whatever.

Ashes is obviously going to have a hybrid combat system and how much we all want it to be precisely how we want it, it is not going to happen. I think a hybrid combat system sounds interesting and unique and the thought that every player gets to choose how they want to play is intriguing. I do fear it's going to be hard to balance and it will become a clear meta what abilities to choose as action or tab, Pvpers is OBVIOUSLY going to play whats optimal and even in dungeons and raids you probably will have to spec a specific way to get invited to a decent group.

We have all heard it before in other games, "choose exactly how you want to play, mix and match whatever gear, skills, and weapons you want", it never ends that way. If you choose "wrong" abilities or "wrong" setup in any way you are far worse suited to compete with the metagamers that chooses all the "right" things to take. And we all know the heard follows whats meta.
    And again as I said in my other comment I'm one of those players that want to be viable in most situations, mostly in the pvp aspect so im going to spec how i need too even if tab is more my prefered playstyle. I'm obviously very hyped and curius to see what they come up with either way. And I do hope it's going to be more situational and what you prefer how you spec your character rather than very clear cookie cutter builds.

And just some things I appreciate about tab combat is the control you have over the battlefield, as healer you can instaltly snipe heal someone in the front line and click someone in a sea of players or maybe click a player in your party window. Same with dps classes, you have very good control over what person takes damage and who does not, maybe someone you dont want to free from a stagger or root type ability that gets removed by damage. But then again i don't know how the overall combat is going to look like so just going of other tab mmos i've played.
    With action combat I mostly appreciate the aoe aspect, to jump in a sea of enemies and go ham, swinging left and right and see people vanishing. Not so mush the "skillshots" people talk about. I'm afraid skillshots is not going to feel as rewarding as it can in a proper fps game like CS where a headshot is an instakill. It's prpbably going to be more of a 5-15 skillshot type of scenario but idk.

And even if it might be true that the skill ceiling is even higher with you having to aim your abilities it does not take away that tab combat have to be boring or easy. Having 30+ abilites to press in the right situation on the right target at the right time can feel amazing ones you have mastered that class. I usually think of it like sitting in an airplane cockpit and knowing exactly what each button does. If the argument for action combat is I want a higher skill cieling why not just add more things like the screen turns upside down each 10 seconds or you have to press a flying squirrel before you can continue attacking. The argument should be what feels more rewarding and fun. Because only having to press right abilities in the right situation on the right person is right there a huge skill cieling to begin with as y'all probably are familiar with.
    Very hyped to jump in to the game and see for myself when the day comes either way.
  • Options
    Do you guys Like Ashes of Creation Apocalypse ? This Game dont have many Players. And i think, because of the AC System.
  • Options
    SeloSelo Member
    I like to win a battle knowing that my reflexes, skillshots etc are better because I've trained them due to practicing

Yea lets make a system that caters to 10% of the playerbase...
    90% of the playerbase can play great in a TT system
    10% will be great in a AC reflex, skillshot system.
    Affiliate Code:
    0dbea148-8cb8-4711-ba90-eb0864e93b5f
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Selo wrote: »

Please don't come at me with 'underbelly feelings' made up statistics..
    Unless you have some unique insight into the dev team's data, where did you get that 10% of the player base stuff? I've seen your comments in this thread and you obviously dislike action combat, which is fine but don't pull numbers out of nowhere to discredit other preferences, it's a bit disingenuous.
  • Options
    PatsoldPatsold Member
    edited April 2021

Unless you have some unique insight into the dev team's data, where did you get that 10% of the player base stuff? I've seen your comments in this thread and you obviously dislike action combat, which is fine but don't pull numbers out of nowhere to discredit other preferences, it's a bit disingenuous.

Ashes of Creation Apocalypse.i dont know the number of Players now. but this 10% seems legit.

Edit : https://steamcharts.com/app/1133430
    The Game is closed allready , but you can see how many players playd it yeahrs ago
    https://youtu.be/uRXerkL8kP8?t=45 One of my Favorite TT Games. Combat is a lot of fun .
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited April 2021
    Patsold wrote: »

Ashes of Creation Apocalypse.i dont know the number of Players now. but this 10% seems legit.

The Game is closed allready , but you can see how many players playd it yeahrs ago
    https://youtu.be/uRXerkL8kP8?t=45 One of my Favorite TT Games. Combat is a lot of fun .

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say here, not trying to be mean.

AoC Apocolypse isn't active anymore too.

It was also just them trying out making action combat, and it should be considered pre-pre-alpha combat because of that. It's even possible that none of the combat seen in it could even be in the MMO final product.
  • Options

What?

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say here, not trying to be mean or anything.

AoC Apocolypse isn't active anymore too.

It was also just them trying out making action combat, and it should be considered pre-pre-alpha combat because of that. It's even possible that none of the combat seen in it could even be in the MMO final product.

I just wanted to illustrate that the combat system didn't attract a lot of players. yes it was all in a early version but i see the player numbers as an indicator against AC. imagine .. after a few months there were only 2-3 players left ON A ONLINE GAME. So you have to conclude that nothing in this game was fun.

therefore i support the statement that more people like the TT system. There is no game that has had significant success with an AC system.

don't get me wrong, AC has its advantages. But in my opinion the disadvantages predominate for the most parts. I see it more as a gimmick.
  • Options
    There is no game that has had significant success with an AC system.

Straight up disregarding Tera and BDO mate, come on. :D
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Like..I'm trying to follow your logic and how you got to your conclusions but I just can't.
    This is literally data from the APOC wiki: (it came to steam a year later when every1 was already probably done with it and on march 10, 2020 the test ENDED)

Statistics from the December 2018 testing of Ashes of Creation Apocalypse.[26]
    There were 86,000 registered logins from unique accounts.[27][28]
    There were 16,000 daily active users (DAU).[29]
    There were approximately 3 - 4,000 concurrent users each day.[30]

I would not call that underwhelming. Also it's tests for very isolated scnenarios so obv. people will drop off because you can't really progress and w/e.

To be fair I don't think you've done your homework or else you would know that the steamcharts stats are from a literally dead test client that people fire up (for some reason) probably now and then.
  • Options
    PatsoldPatsold Member
    edited April 2021
    There is no game that has had significant success with an AC system.

Straight up disregarding Tera and BDO mate, come on. :D

haha , yea sry but its not a significant success in my opinion.
  • Options
    Like..I'm trying to follow your logic and how you got to your conclusions but I just can't.
    This is literally data from the APOC wiki: (it came to steam a year later when every1 was already probably done with it and on march 10, 2020 the test ENDED)

I would not call that underwhelming. Also it's tests for very isolated scnenarios so obv. people will drop off because you can't really progress and w/e.

To be fair I don't think you've done your homework or else you would know that the steamcharts stats are from a literally dead test client that people fire up (for some reason) probably now and then.

I don't know where this data comes from, according to Google, the game was released in 24. Sep 2019. maby, do you mean the first test phases? of course numbers fluctuate.
    I played the game myself and couldn't find a match. and I just gave up after 2-3 days.
  • Options
    haha , yea sry but its not a significant success.

Interesting, would you mind sharing your idea of "significant success".

6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited April 2021

I don't know where this data comes from, according to Google, the game was released in 24. Sep 2019. maby, do you mean the first test phases? of course numbers fluctuate.
    I played the game myself and couldn't find a match. and I just gave up after 2-3 days.

He said the Apoc wiki

It literally took me 2 minutes to find it, it took no effort at all.

e7f85e97c6.png
  • Options

Its esport.
    PvP tournaments and how mutch peopel go into it / how many players want PvP.
    And i see mutch more TT Games whit larger PvP Base then AC Games.
  • Options

He said the Apoc wiki

http://puu.sh/HuVRu/e7f85e97c6.png

Okey, but the release was at 2019
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member

He said the Apoc wiki

So?
  • Options
    Its esport.

Quite a niche and arbitrary method of measuring a mmorpg success as most of them don't have major emphasis in PvP tournaments.... And personal bias doesn't help alot...
    I would go for something more meaningful and general like popularity and revenue.
    In which you would find 3 action combat mmorpgs(BDO, Tera and Blade and Soul) in the Top 10 in past years....
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    Its esport.

Quite a niche and arbitrary method of measuring a mmorpg success as most of them don't have major emphasis in PvP tournaments.... And personal bias doesn't help alot...
    I would go for something more meaningful and general like popularity and revenue.
    In which you would find 3 action combat mmorpgs(BDO, Tera and Blade and Soul) in the Top 10 in past years....

AoC is supposed to be an open world PvP game and the focus is more on PvP than in any other game. Sure the listed games are not bad in terms of numbers, but personally I miss this PvP aspect, which is very important at AoC. This is where my opinion comes from. This is my experience that I have made.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't work, we don't know what the system will look like in the end. From my point of view, it would be better to deal directly with the TT system if you had to choose between the two.
  • Options

He said the Apoc wiki

So?

Of course there is great interest in people who have alpha or beta access. and the numbers reflect phases, not the whole year. So it's better to look at the general release. You can see how many people showed interest in the game, how long they remained interested and in the end how well the game attracted fans. and that looked very bad for years.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Its esport.

An MMO that is an e-sport?

WOW is not even a successful e-sport.
    So tell me, what MMORPG is a successful e-sport? Nothing comes to mind.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

Its esport.

An MMO that is an e-sport?

WOW is not even a successful e-sport.
    So tell me, what MMORPG is a successful e-sport? Nothing comes to mind.

compared to other mmos.

let's be real, mmos are dying. If we look at the numbers of players in the past compared to today, then we cannot speak of success. even wow has lost around 50% of players.
    The players mainly play PvE, one of the reasons New World was redesigned.