Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Corruption system in relation to auto-flagging in open sea

Comments

• Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »
    It's a dealbreaker.
    Like EvE and ArcheAge, that's too PvP-centric for me.
    I won't be playing.
    Unless we can use the Divine Gateways to port to starting areas on other continents.

oh no... I don't see a "LMAO" from you today my friend :D maybe Phanteon will be the game for you...
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited August 2022
    SongRune wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm just not a huge fan of having to swim to shore (while being open game for re-ganking every time I spawn, cause I can't exactly fight while swimming) because my passenger transport was raided. That's my big complaint.

It'll literally take you 5 minutes, 10 at most, to reach shore, given the estimates provided.

And you can in fact fight in and under water. So you might be able to move and fight, though slower.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    Honestly, I'm just not a huge fan of having to swim to shore (while being open game for re-ganking every time I spawn, cause I can't exactly fight while swimming) because my passenger transport was raided. That's my big complaint.

If you die at sea, you will spawn on the shore. There are no corpse runs.

We also have water mounts. You can see them in teh alpha footage.
  • Options
    DizzDizz Member
    Good thing, but if it's just a vehicle battle which means that just ship fights ship and players only fight on ship fall in to ocean means death or underwater combat is not good like combat on land, no thanks, too much missing links.

A casual follower from TW.

↓Good youtube channel to learn things about creating games.↓
    Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv1DvRY5PyHHt3KN9ghunuw
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dolyem wrote: »
    Wouldnt this provide a slightly lighter load of ganking inland though? Could just avoid ocean content and have fun on the mainlaind
    Irrelevant.
  • Options

if you die at sea you should have a option to respawn at the last town you were at and/or there should be a boat you can wait for that you can be transported by and be safe. (as long as you aren't carrying to much and getting a free transports across against the sea).

There shouldn't be any point where you get griefed at sea with respawns.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Liniker wrote: »
    oh no... I don't see a "LMAO" from you today my friend :D maybe Phanteon will be the game for you...
    LMAO
    I went back to my first post and fixed that for you!!
    :D
  • Options
    players having the need to announce, that they will not be playing ashes after this change.. oh no...

.. anyway
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    NiKr When i heard sea is auto flag
    Yeah, that was definitely a huge "wait what?!" moment (in a good way). If I decide to live in Sujoma, I'm definitely gonna be fighting all kinds of ship battles. It's gon be gooood
  • Options
    I really hope we get a closer look at ship types/stats soon
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It'll have little to no impact. Given the size of the open ocean it doesn't seem practical to just sit out there and wait for people to kill.
  • Options
    darthaden wrote: »
    It'll have little to no impact. Given the size of the open ocean it doesn't seem practical to just sit out there and wait for people to kill.

Untrue if there are underwater dungeons, gathering zones, and points of interest in the open ocean.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options

Also untrue considering that you know the points of interest where 90% of the sea travels will start from (Harbors, Nodes along the cost line)
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    LMFAO
    It's a dealbreaker.
    I won't be playing.
    Unless we can use the Divine Gateways to port to starting areas on other continents.

I dont believe that you wont play. I am sure I will see you posting even after the game is launched.
  • Options

Untrue if there are underwater dungeons, gathering zones, and points of interest in the open ocean.

Considering that they are linked to Nodes, it's more likely that they'll be in territorial waters rather than the open PvP seas.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    @George_Black i cant imagine a forum without Dygz either.
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    @George_Black i cant imagine a forum without Dygz either.

I can. It will help my anger issues. I wish he finally comes to terms with the fact that AoC isn't an RP mmo like ff14. It's competitive and guild centered. You dont see me in ff14s forums asking for open world pvp, nor do you see me in bdos forums asking for no p2w servers.
    Each company has their vision clearly stated. If people choose to delude themselves, I wish at least they didn't flood the forums with fluff. Anyway, as said in todays Dev Up date regarding feedback: "all feedback is welcome" but also... "we won't pursue that direction".
  • Options
    I dont believe that you wont play. I am sure I will see you posting even after the game is launched.
    Posting is not the same thing as playing.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I wish he finally comes to terms with the fact that AoC isn't an RP mmo like ff14. It's competitive and guild centered. You dont see me in ff14s forums asking for open world pvp, nor do you see me in bdos forums asking for no p2w servers.
    Each company has their vision clearly stated. If people choose to delude themselves, I wish at least they didn't flood the forums with fluff. Anyway, as said in todays Dev Up date regarding feedback: "all feedback is welcome" but also... "we won't pursue that direction".
    If exploring the world auto-flags players as Combatant, it’s a PvP-centric game.
    Yes. We agree.

I don’t think I’ve asked for stuff that’s not in the game design.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Anyway, those news can't be pleasant for you. I'll give you a break.

Moving on. Some said that naval content will remove gankers from the mainland areas. First of all, what gangers? How many times do we have to say that people will have a valid reason to kill, and looting a a few raw materials isn't worth the risk of going red. Claiming an area or RB with your group/guild isn't ganking.

I don't think that pvp will be moved away from mainland to the see, since the sea doesn't have the flagging system. If crafting and the economy are done correctly, building competitive ships to provide confidence and security will take a huge effort for a group of players. I dont think that all this energy will go to "hey let's go pvp in the sea". I am pretty sure that whatever players come together to build and equip a ship will have in mind certain quests, certain locations with raw materials, and certain raids that they want to take down, as well as transporting their goods to another node. And from the details we heard about preparing/building/allocating attributes to a caravan, as well as the design of the caravan building, you can tell that making a caravan or a ships won't be a 10 minute activity.

Just like in the land, same with the sea, people hopeful of stealing materials from a ship or a caravan will have to camp areas and also win the fight. And then they have to carry the loot back to their node. or housing. It won't be "hey let's go have some non flagging, free pvp."

I am opposed to pvp zones in the land because they would dilute the PvX dynamic of the game, removing the conflict of interest, fragmenting the playerbase to those that have goals (gather, xp, quest) and those that want to just relax and have meaningless pvp). But building a ship? manning it properly? It will take effort. It won't be for trigger happy kids that just want to gank, like they do in ESO in cyrodiil or other games without meaningful pvp.
  • Options
    It is now.
  • Options

Underground areas might not count as sea, which also would be fine. But it would mean when you are trying to get back to land with your loot you will need to keep a eye open.
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Corruption system is already really harsh, up to extremely harsh based on how dense the server is with seeing people around. If you are red and walking by 20 people, there is a high chance they flag on you causing you to lose more progress than you gain and gear drops.

It's subjective and somewhat unknown, but yeah I'd agree on paper with what we know right now, the corruption system is harsh. Intrepid still has a lot of leeway to make it more or less harsh though depending on the final numbers they use.

I was just trying to throw Dygz a bone, saying that the ocean being lawless may open the door in Intrepid's mind to make the corruption system harsher than they originally intended. And as other people have pointed out, the oceans could draw more of the pvp minded players out from the land, making the land safer than it otherwise would have been.

But Dygz aint having any of it lol. I hope you still play though Dygz.

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yes, I very hope you play @Dygz . Be a dwarf who doesn't like the water, explore the land first, which will take quite a while.

Also, I would not be surprised if the Underworld didn't allow one to walk to some of the islands, perhaps from continent to continent, and perhaps to all the islands.

I'm sure you noticed Steven emphasizing that we will be clearly warned prior to getting into PvP territory. Therefore, it won't be the shoreline, it will be out a bit. So costal fishing and (perhaps) costal boats won't be in the PvP zone. Some islands might be reached safely, or after a very short run across the PvP zone, which could be done during non-peak hours.

In other words, I think there will be ways to minimize the risk so not to have it a significant factor.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Warning is irrelevant. I am unconcerned about the shoreline.
    If we can use the Divine Portals to teleport to the starting areas on distant continents - that might work.
    Family Summons with alts also might work.
    There has to be a bypass for auto-flagging Combatant while exploring.

Again... because auto-flagging as Combatant for exploring a zone means we are auto-consenting to random PvP just by playing the game. And if that's the case, I will choose not to play the game.

(We'll have to see how I would then feel about missing out on underwater content, but, Steven's current concept of risk v reward doesn't really work the way he thinks it does. Or maybe it does, but... my choice would be to just not play the game rather than deal with the "risk" of being forced into PvP combat when I'm not in the mood with no Corruption penalties just because I want to explore the world. That's a PvP-centric game; not a PvX game.)
  • Options
    HartwellHartwell Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    I'm very interested in this subject, as it does shake up the importance of certain ships and trade routes. It brings up questions.
    • The Northern part of the sea has a rather large island, so can we skim along the coast to remain in a non-PvP area?
    • Does the Underrealm have a safer, but longer, passage between the two main continents?
    • Will airships fly over the sea and prevent flagging for PvP automatically?
    • Bounty hunters rely upon corruption, so it might not be useful in this new design. Will there be a way to identify pirates using navigation skills as an alternative?
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Again... because auto-flagging as Combatant for exploring a zone means we are auto-consenting to random PvP just by playing the game. And if that's the case, I will choose not to play the game.

All the auto-flagging is doing is making it so people don't suffer penalties for killing you. You aren't consenting any more to pvp then you are when you log into the game.
  • Options
    Overthrow wrote: »
    Games that are gank boxes ALWAYS fail.

Albion Online says hello.
  • Options
    ElleandriaElleandria Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    LMFAO
    It's a dealbreaker.
    I won't be playing.

Ah yes, another casual crying because they aren't good enough to play the game and just want to be hand-held :joy: Don't play the game then kiddo, stop crying on the forums and having your alt accounts like your posts lol its very pathetic
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    All the auto-flagging is doing is making it so people don't suffer penalties for killing you. You aren't consenting any more to pvp then you are when you log into the game.
    It's significantly different because players who kill me are not punished with 4x the death penalties if they kill me. That is auto-consent because they will not be punished for ganking me while I'm exploring. And... that is not a game I will play.