Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Could there be a server where you only have 1 character?

Comments

• Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited August 2023
    Vaknar wrote: »
    So your concerns are mostly that of alts taking away from some experiences? From my own experience, I've usually kept most of my playtime to one or two characters on a server, just because that's what my time allows. I know friends who have had many alts, but they also generally had more time to invest!

alts do have bonus when it comes to economy, since alts have have different profession you can effectivly do almost everything on the one account from my understanding . 1 character master mining, 1 masters smelting another master armor crafting and so on then you can do do basicly the whole line on crafting as a small example and im guessing u can have 8 characters so you can do alot craftig wise solo with the use of alts (might take awhile to get there) however it seems to be possible.

• Options
    Veeshan wrote: »
    So your concerns are mostly that of alts taking away from some experiences? From my own experience, I've usually kept most of my playtime to one or two characters on a server, just because that's what my time allows. I know friends who have had many alts, but they also generally had more time to invest!

alts do have bonus when it comes to economy, since alts have have different profession you can effectivly do almost everything on the one account from my understanding . 1 character master mining, 1 masters smelting another master armor crafting and so on then you can do do basicly the whole line on crafting as a small example and im guessing u can have 8 characters so you can do alot craftig wise solo with the use of alts (might take awhile to get there) however it seems to be possible.

And, if someone chooses to spend 3 years of their life maxing those 8 separate artisan professions, then they'll get the benefits of it. I don't see it as a problem.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    daveywavey wrote: »

And, if someone chooses to spend 3 years of their life maxing those 8 separate artisan professions, then they'll get the benefits of it. I don't see it as a problem.

Over time, it kills the trade. I know how to mine metal, so I won't buy metal from someone else who has 1 character and won't be able to sell the metal to anyone. And he also needs to start making 2 alt characters to complete his production line.
  • Options
    HartassenHartassen Member
    edited August 2023
    One character per server is beneficial in a lot of ways

1. It means your choices have real consequences, scam a guild and you can't just send all your loot into a new character with a different name

2. It means alts won't be there to fill in every processing/crafting gap you need, therefore encouraging growing relationships with others that have skills that you need

3. Reduces griefing (making characters at low level to grief or kill lowbies with no consequences to your main character)
  • Options
    On wiki we get the info that "There will be a "comfortable" number of character slots available for alts."
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Alts
    I wonder what "comfortable" means.
    I like the idea that small number of alts could make each player be more important for the guild or node.
    But I think the limited number of freeholds will also achieve the goal of making the impact of a player relevant as a crafter upon the economy.
    The goal Steven seems to prepare is: have many alts, buy cosmetics for them, enjoy fighting but if you want to be a crafter, fight harder.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited August 2023
    xmix wrote: »
    Over time, it kills the trade. I know how to mine metal, so I won't buy metal from someone else who has 1 character and won't be able to sell the metal to anyone. And he also needs to start making 2 alt characters to complete his production line.
    Except if both of you are just solo players then you ain't farming shit in the first place. Groups will control top quality locations, so your years spent on leveling up several alts will be wasted, because you'd need to rely on others either way.

Also, even if somehow that is not the case, the amount of people who'd be willing to level up several chars to a master level will be way smaller than the amount of people buying mats for crafting.
  • Options

thats the problem right there...this game is about interacting with other players to get what you want. this alts removes that...with enough alts, you will be able to gather and craft everything, and process 2 things. so it reduces player interaction a lot.
  • Options

yep eventually everyone will get to the stage where there doing craft by themself killing trade, some player may do it quicker than others but since there no decay on skill level for not doing an activity once somone maxed they can start progressing other complimentary crafts with alts, also as alts level up they can cut there costs on supplies and thing since they can cut out middle men and reduce there end craft prices undercutting people who have to cover material cost which eventualy kills markets for those players.
  • Options

yep eventually everyone will get to the stage where there doing craft by themself killing trade, some player may do it quicker than others but since there no decay on skill level for not doing an activity once somone maxed they can start progressing other complimentary crafts with alts, also as alts level up they can cut there costs on supplies and thing since they can cut out middle men and reduce there end craft prices undercutting people who have to cover material cost which eventualy kills markets for those players.

Some players want to have progression.
    How do you keep them in game?
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Liniker wrote: »
    this is incorrect, not everything is subject to change as steven explains in this clip

when he uses the "everything is subject to change" he is talking about a specific showcase, the visuals, skills, etc
    LMFAO
    When Steven says everything is subject to change he is correct.
    But, when I say the exact same thing, I am incorrect?
    How does that work exactly?
  • Options
    RP, is usually done on a private server and is supervised by the players.and displays and things are displayed with mods.RP: RolePlay - Roleplay reflects so much, you have to act like you do in real life.How would I react to a 20-meter dragon or a 3-meter spider?panic panic. If you die, you cannot live again .
    RP is often done to some degree on all servers.
    It is also quite common for AAA MMORPGs to have officially designated RP servers that are not private servers.
    You don't necessarily have to act like real life - rather you attempt to stay in character - and that character can be like a character in a novel.

Whether a character remains dead when they die often depends on how magic and miracles work in that specific setting.
  • Options
    There was a change about freeholds.
    They added PvP deep sea.
    Maybe they'll make corruption penalties severe to attract more players.
    Alpha 2 will not be only about finding bugs.
  • Options
    Even Steven changes over time.
  • Options
    As someone who almost only ever uses Alt's for storage or getting around profession-limitations(Warhammer was the only exception so far), I would argue that if you really want to coerce people to work with others, limiting them to 1 character per server makes a whole lot of sense. And if it came down to a vote, or to choose a server among many, I'd most certainly vote for or pick the one with that limitation.

But there are very good arguments in this thread for why it wont be as important in AoC, and it goes without saying that if done globally it affects the people that doesn't commit as hard to a single character in quite severe ways.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2023
    Dygz wrote: »
    LMFAO
    When Steven says everything is subject to change he is correct.
    But, when I say the exact same thing, I am incorrect?
    How does that work exactly?

Because when Steven says the exact same thing he is in the context of a specific showcase, like a class kit or a basic attack showcase context, in that context yes, everything is subject to change,

but when you said it, the original message you replied to was about people that hate PvP, you said people will continue to express their unsatisfaction with the design, and added the "everything is subject to change" in that context, so that is incorrect, as shown in the clip ashes design pillars like PVX will never change, I think thats important to point out,

Intrepid is being very clear on who the target audience is, and holding on the 'subject to change' might be very frustrating for some people in the long run, theres people that still hopes Intrepid makes PVE servers due to misunderstanding the "everything is subject to change" part, and they might even be buying cosmetic and supporting the game based on that.. so yea..
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    A way to have more characters and to still lower the impact onto economy could be to have to do some quest o switch between them. They could add some lore for it.
  • Options
    Raven016 wrote: »
    A way to have more characters and to still lower the impact onto economy could be to have to do some quest o switch between them. They could add some lore for it.

True, similarly, if you only allowed switching of active character every X amount of time, and X is cleverly chosen, you could get most of the benefits of limiting characters with far less of the downsides.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    [W]hen Steven says the exact same thing he is in the context of a specific showcase, like a class kit or a basic attack showcase context, in that context yes, everything is subject to change.
    I would say it's not limited to that because the Open Seas is a signifcant change.
    What isn't subject to change are the core pillars.

but when you said it, the original message you replied to was about people that hate PvP, you said people will continue to express their unsatisfaction with the design, and added the "everything is subject to change" in that context, so that is incorrect, as shown in the clip ashes design pillars like PVX will never change, I think thats important to point out.
    Actually, I was responding to a biased interpretation about a "vocal minority" who are sharing their perspectives of the game even if they have recently discovered they are not in the target audience.
    And, what I said is that everything is subject to change - so...
    Just as we recently learned something new that makes us think we aren't in the target audience, we might learn something new that places us back in the target audience.
    Also... we haven't tested Alpha 2 yet. So it may be that once we play Alpha 2, we discover it provides enough of what we originally hoped to see in Ashes.
    So... it's not that what I said is incorrect. Rather the context that Abarat setup is incorrect.
    I said the exact same thing as Steven. In the same context as Steven.

I don't hate PvP. As far as I know, Noanni doesn't hate PvP.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Everyone wants a cookie made of gold these days, tsk tsk tsk.
  • Options
    MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited August 2023
    This is 1 request and 1 question. The majority likes that several characters can be used on 1 server, I don't want this to change on every server, just make 1-2 exceptions if there is a need for it.if you can have more than one character on 1 server, my personal problems with it: time-consuming, pvp with your non-main character with minimal negative impact,event with multiple characters,it does not look for a missing main character, but instead switches to it,more characters you can learn more professions, this also reduces the interaction with the others Clearing dungeons multiple times,your alt character is in a small guild, your character is big in a big guild. if you only have 1 character, the classes and the character itself are more important and pvp is less. thank you in advance for your feedback. (if something is weird, it's because I translated it with a translator, but I hope you can understand roughly what I'm writing)

I think most of people will have only one character whatever you can make 2 or 3. It is a quesion of time invested. If someone have more to time to invest, he must be able to create another char on the same server.
    Having two characters on two different servers is kind of weird... You must have two guilds, separated friends and you cannot farm for another character.

And as in many MMO, there are always classes much better in PVE and classes better in PVP (even if everything is done to balance), so why not having another char to farm. We cannot take it away to players, it's unfair according to me.

Regarding the PvP reasons, it's possible to imagine some area where you cannot go in 30 seconds to kill the guy who killed your noob. Or a system for you cannot plug everywhere without being teleporter to a relay or something. I agree that I could be annoying if HLVL players plug into popular area to relog cleaning noobs and reconnect their second character.

This must be discussed in advance.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    Thank you for the comments. I think there were more positives than negatives. There were several people who wouldn't mind if there was such a server in addition to the regular servers.I liked the discussion and you are planning more similar ones.If this doesn't work, I'll look for another solution, if it doesn't work, I'll give up xD
  • Options
    hleVhleV Member
    Since you can't be "everything" with just one character, forcing just one character per server may be too big of a restriction. One player, however, should be limited to just one guild, regardless of how many characters they have.
  • Options
    Haha. Except espionage is an aspect of PvP.
    And... Steven wants both espionage and about as much PvP in the game as possible.
    That's part of the Risk of allowing people to join your guild.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    hleV wrote: »
    Since you can't be "everything" with just one character, forcing just one character per server may be too big of a restriction. One player, however, should be limited to just one guild, regardless of how many characters they have.

this would be the essence of the game, that you can't do everything with 1 character. But the solution to this is not to add + 2 characte?so the game will be solo and you won't have to interact with others.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    And... Steven wants both espionage and about as much PvP in the game as possible.

espionage could also be a guild skill or character specialization could also be espionage. You wouldn't need + 1 character for that.
  • Options
    hleVhleV Member
    No reason to encourage it by making it too accessible. It will still be done using alt accounts.
  • Options
    hleV wrote: »
    It will still be done using alt accounts.
    I think I said that?

• Options
    As far as I am aware all servers will be the same. There won't be an offering of pve servers, pvp servers, hardcore servers, etc. So a server such as the one you are suggesting is not very likely.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member

2 characters is not so dangerous, caste change and such, if you want a new character, don't fail everything you have collected so far.Problems: you own several professions, so you lose someone's job. You can be a guild of several sizes, you farm in a small guild with bonuses,big guild you go to dungeons with pvp.

if you have more characters, 3 or more. In 4-8 cities, I monitor the market almost like fast travel. You can choose a character who doesn't care about his reputation. Those who have a lot of characters will not actually get involved in the game or only for a very long time. And it will be that we are not looking for a missing caste, but someone just changes characters.

this is just 1 example: I make 1 character called Vaknarr, I use the same tools as yours and I kill your guildmates, then I run to the other side of the map, then I go back to my big character, I go back to kill 2-3 times a day

I'm not saying that all servers should be like this, only if there are enough people interested in it, there could be 1 such server, but they are very reluctant to start different types of servers.

10-12 were written, not a lot, but the other half wouldn't mind if the other half liked it, and only 1-2 people said no or it won't happen, I'd like it in vain

if there is no flexibility in the developers, then the broken servers will come. The more options there are in 1 game, the smaller the chance that it will start, I think, especially if it is a monthly fee.

thank you for the answer, I hope I will get some feedback on this as well.

(Sorry, I don't know English, but I hope it's understandable as I described it, I apologize in advance if something was translated strangely)
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    All servers can be 1 character only. Just don't create any others.