Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What sex will your character(s) be?

Comments

• Options
    Mh I don't really think I fall under one of those 3 cat tbh, I like to use a character that is appealing to my eyes in terms of beautiness and theme. It usually translates into choosing female's alt but just because they have a better theme in my eyes most of the time (for example i like sorceress and in bdo was playable only with a female; diana in league of legends is my main mainly because of the moon's theme) but it happened the same with males too though.

With AoC I hope to see appealing features in both, with the innovative class I can't really predict which gender I will choose nor the theme.

1. Men(Note men, none of the females in the conversation fell into this category.) that made female characters to oogle because of sexual desire, yeah! 

There are females that fall in this cathegory though, it is just difficult to convince them to tell you if you are not one of his close friends. It usually comes out as "look at those abs, I'm totally going to create my ideal husband!" as a "female chit chat" when we play together ^^ 

• Options
    Seeing ill be playing the underrealm race aka beast like im geussing ill be a Bitch?
  • Options
    I hope to create a serious male char , which wont look gay. Otherwise , there will be no choice and again ill have to make female char. Almost in every game males looks to sweet.
  • Options
    #3 for myself
  • Options
    nirablade said:
    Mh I don't really think I fall under one of those 3 cat tbh, I like to use a character that is appealing to my eyes in terms of beautiness and theme. It usually translates into choosing female's alt but just because they have a better theme in my eyes most of the time (for example i like sorceress and in bdo was playable only with a female; diana in league of legends is my main mainly because of the moon's theme) but it happened the same with males too though.

With AoC I hope to see appealing features in both, with the innovative class I can't really predict which gender I will choose nor the theme.

1. Men(Note men, none of the females in the conversation fell into this category.) that made female characters to oogle because of sexual desire, yeah! 

There are females that fall in this cathegory though, it is just difficult to convince them to tell you if you are not one of his close friends. It usually comes out as "look at those abs, I'm totally going to create my ideal husband!" as a "female chit chat" when we play together ^^ 

Okay first, Question (how do I quote a specific part of a post.) 
    Second, (Most of the girls were like me, we made female characters or male characters based on rp/theme of the character. Or based on ourselves.) 
    "Creating ideal husband." normally had them as an alt xD, Like on guild wars two I made a male charr that my character adopted as her son by uh.. rp standards. 
  • Options
    @ruairidh
    Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not the type of girl to shy from ogling a man or being perverted. 

I apologize for offending the royal pervert association. Please waifu me later if you'd like as an apology. 

Maybe.
    You know, if you're not a creep. 
    Sincerely, 

• Options
    nirablade said:

Okay first, Question (how do I quote a specific part of a post.) 

Just erase the part of the quote that you don't want to quote.
  • Options
    I have the classic believe that these characters are your avatar's and should reflect your gender. (or the gender you identify most with for the LGBTQ community  :) )

So since I'm male, all of my characters have been male.
  • Options
    @PlagueMonk
    Same! 

• Options
    All my healer toons are female and that will be the first toon I make. That being said when I was playing SWTOR I had a precise 50/50 split with 4 male, 4 female toons. I dont plan on having 8 toons here but I will probably do something like 1 female healer (possibly 2 if I spec cleric/cleric and cleric/tank), 1 female mage and 1 male ranger type.
  • Options
    I have the classic believe that these characters are your avatar's and should reflect your gender. (or the gender you identify most with for the LGBTQ community  :) )

You think the characters are supposed to represent the player??
    Instead of the players being actors?
  • Options
    Male, because i like my characters to be an extention of me.  Most guys will say they want to look at a nice butt so they roll a girl.. but i think its something a little deeper than that.
  • Options
    Dygz said:

I think that more than "the player", correct me @PlagueMonk
     if I'm wrong, is the image that the player has of himself. You can be courteous, brave, strong, magical however you want, you can vent you frustrations and anger by being a vengeful cunning rogue or your social injustice issues by being the noble thief. Just, with the skin of an elf, or a dwarf, or orc...

Inventing a completely new character to fully represent, as a real actor would probably tell, is a very difficult thing to do, if done well enough. Maybe you won't have to care about facial expression or body movement and position, but the mindset, the behaviour, the personality of the person you're wearing the shoes of are all there.

Most players that choose to have a female avatar are simply themselves with boobs. Then you have the occasional role player, but a lot of the time they don't "act" anything.
  • Options
    I will be playing a man because it feels like an extension to me. I would not be upset if I had to play as a female though. Some games you don't get a choice.
  • Options
    So curiosity got the best of me after a discussion with some of my fellow community members. 
    It came down to basically these three types.
    1. Roleplayers that make a character for story or character purpose.
    2. Men(Note men, none of the females in the conversation fell into this category.) that made female characters to oogle because of sexual desire, yeah! 
    3. To place yourself into the game, or a character of how you wish to see yourself. 
    I'm curious about you guys, how do you fall into the spectrum? 
    Personally I'm #3, if you don't fall into a category I would love to hear why and how you view it.

Probably mixed, but even though I am a (hu)man, I tend to play female characters. Main will prbably be female, second is usually male. Think it is either 1 or 2 to be honestly.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    ruairidh said:
     if I'm wrong, is the image that the player has of himself. You can be courteous, brave, strong, magical however you want, you can vent you frustrations and anger by being a vengeful cunning rogue or your social injustice issues by being the noble thief. Just, with the skin of an elf, or a dwarf, or orc...

Inventing a completely new character to fully represent, as a real actor would probably tell, is a very difficult thing to do, if done well enough. Maybe you won't have to care about facial expression or body movement and position, but the mindset, the behaviour, the personality of the person you're wearing the shoes of are all there.

Most players that choose to have a female avatar are simply themselves with boobs. Then you have the occasional role player, but a lot of the time they don't "act" anything.
    Is the gender of the player somehow related to being courteous, brave, strong, magical or venting frustrations and anger by being a vengeful cunning rogue or your social injustice issues by being the noble thief?
    I am not a elf or a dwarf or an orc in real life, but some times I play those races in RPGs.
    I don't understand why the same would not be true of gender.
    Gender is as much of a skin in RPGs as race.

• Options
    Dygz said:
    ruairidh said:

Is the gender of the player somehow related to being courteous, brave, strong, magical or venting frustrations and anger by being a vengeful cunning rogue or your social injustice issues by being the noble thief?
    I am not a elf or a dwarf or an orc in real life, but some times I play those races in RPGs.

No, of course those things are not related to gender, but usually you identify yourself with one or another, so if it's you that is projected into the character, then the character will be a reflection of yourself, gender likely included. 

You may want to choose a different gender for many reasons: either you identify yourself with a different gender than your biological one and are more confortable so, either you desire to play a specific character that is meant or can only be of that different gender, either you simply want to change... or ogle.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in choosing a different gender, but, in my opinion, it is frequent, if not "more" frequent, to have a character of your same gender, it feels more immediate. It may be my lack of imagination but is more simple for me, as a man,to imagine myself as a brave strong male warrior than as a brave strong female warrior, because I'm not female.  Nothing bad in brave strong women, it's just that I have a penis. 

(If this is the case for others too, then I hypothesize that most people won't stick with the female character created for ogling for long, they will ogle it then turn back to their male main.)
  • Options
    3. I am male I play males. I'm also an rper
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    ruairidh said:
    Dygz said:

No, of course those things are not related to gender, but usually you identify yourself with one or another, so if it's you that is projected into the character, then the character will be a reflection of yourself, gender likely included. 

You may want to choose a different gender for many reasons: either you identify yourself with a different gender than your biological one and are more confortable so, either you desire to play a specific character that is meant or can only be of that different gender, either you simply want to change... or ogle.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in choosing a different gender, but, in my opinion, it is frequent, if not "more" frequent, to have a character of your same gender, it feels more immediate. It may be my lack of imagination but is more simple for me, as a man,to imagine myself as a brave strong male warrior than as a brave strong female warrior, because I'm not female.  Nothing bad in brave strong women, it's just that I have a penis. 

(If this is the case for others too, then I hypothesize that most people won't stick with the female character created for ogling for long, they will ogle it then turn back to their male main.)

Usually I identify as a human, but if I'm playing a character in a virtual world, my character might identify as something other than human. I'm still trying to understand why you think that would be different for gender. In a video game, I'm typically not playing myself - I'm playing a character. In a high fantasy RPG, that character will have all kinds of abilities and biological traits that I, the player, don't have: Magic, Strength, Dexterity, Race, Gender. So...I'm still wondering why gender seems different to you than any other traits a character might have that are different from the player - especially biological traits like race and age and fitness.
  • Options
    It's simply a different process. Either you think yourself free to play whatever you want, either you just want to play a better looking/performing version of yourself that happens to cast magic.

I fall into the second category, which is also why I usually don't play beast-like creatures. I want the person running, and fighting, and casting spells to be me, I want to be the one living the adventure I won't ever live, even if my avatar has longer ears or prominent tusks, or blonde hair, those are minor details. And because me, in my specific case, is a male, then my character will consequently be male. 

This is also the reason I mostly play mages, because I am nothing like a fighter, I can hardly fake to be one, I am a bookworm, I love learning, as a mage would.

Playing a female character would and has felt disrupting, out of place,as much as playing a minotaur or a skaven, orcs are more difficult but I can manage most of the times. It depends on how much they resemble a human.

Maybe it all boils down, for me, to a lack of self-esteem? I want to be better and , while I work on it in real life, games let me better in the meantime..

As for others I don't know, maybe just lack of immagination.
    I
  • Options
    There is a spectrum:
    Some people will always create an avatar that is very close to who they are as a player - I've known some people name all of their characters with their actual first name.
    And there are other people who like to play characters who are very different from who they are as a player.
    There are tons of people in the middle of the extremes.

It just seems strange to me that it seems like it's seemingly not surprising to discover that a has chosen a race different than their own, but it's jarring to discover that a player has chosen a gender different than their own.

No one should be thinking, "OMG, you are a human and not an Elf??"
    Similarly no one should be thinking, "OMG, you are a male and not a female??"
  • Options
    Hah! if its anything like Marriage.. None.

Male. call me weird but i cant bring myself to play a female character. I know its silly.but i just cant get into the story without going in with some familiarity to my character from the start. Funny fact the older i get, the older my characters i create are looking as well.  
  • Options
    Meh, no genderbending for me.  

Most of my characters will be male, but I might have a few female.  Sex will match gender.  I like to use the name Laureate (Master of an art or science) for mage and archer types, and it sounds very feminine, so I always make that one a female.  Pretty much everything else will be a guy.
  • Options
    haha
    I think in the context of the this thread, your female character counts as genderbending.

I would play a range of other genders as well, if they were available.
  • Options
    It all depends if Dwarven girls get longer beards than Dwarven men at character creation.
  • Options
    I don't role-play. I separate myself from the virtual world, so it is not an extension of myself in any way. I pretty much play whatever gender I want to play at the time that I make the character. I've played both male and female avatars. 
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    There is a spectrum:
    Some people will always create an avatar that is very close to who they are as a player - I've known some people name all of their characters with their actual first name.
    And there are other people who like to play characters who are very different from who they are as a player.
    There are tons of people in the middle of the extremes.
    Yup, that's me lol. I only RP or get fully immersed when the right factors are in place (mood, timing, types of people in group/guild, genre of game, quality of game, etc.). Even then, I only do a bit of light RP here and there for enjoyment. I feel more comfortable playing as myself.
  • Options
    ruairidh said:
    Dygz said:

Did you miss that point in bold?

And I'm not claiming that everyone think the way I do but that's how I believe.

I do know plenty of people who play opposite toons (mainly males playing females) for various reasons; "If I'm going to look at someone's ass all the time I want it to be a pretty female's", is popular, as is, "females are generally smaller targets and harder to hit" (the power gamer) or even, "I like to screw with people and feign the weak female so people will give me stuff". Among others.

Do I agree with them? Personally no but I don't have to.
  • Options
    I haven't gotten to choose how my character looks since my daughter was 3 years old.  She'll be 17 this month and still insist on making my characters and they are always female characters and they are as she says "cute as I can make it".  I have made male characters, but as soon as she sees them, she deletes them and remakes them female, so I have given up.
  • Options
    When the character creation finally shows it's hopefully brilliantly shining face, we will have a massive amount of things to determine "what" exactly our characters will be.

As for me can I identify as a shoe? jking of course! Still a male Tulnar Paladin. =P