Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why i will not be playing AoC

Comments

• Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    I try food before disliking it, but that’s me. Everyone has their own road.

Your metaphora is lacking.
    If you see the cook putting in too much salt, would you just "wait and see" or ask him if he is sure about the amount of salt?
    Since the product is not finished yet it is not about tasting or not.
  • Options

If you see the cook putting in too much salt, would you just "wait and see" or ask him if he is sure about the amount of salt?

Heh. Ok.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options

In regards to Ashes, we don't know how much salt they have put in though. It's all just pure speculation.
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »

In regards to Ashes, we don't know how much salt they have put in though. It's all just pure speculation.

Well if this thread proves anything, there's already a lot of salt
  • Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It has probably already been mentioned by someone else in these 7 pages of replies but no DPS meters is a wonderful thing and Final Fantasy does it wonderfully. No in game meters, but yes, 3rd party ones exist. You can use them but if you call people out on them you'll earn yourself a ban. Makes the game way more chill.
    Everquest > Everquest 2 > World of Warcraft > City of Heroes > Eve Online > Guild Wars 2 > Wildstar > Final Fantasy

• Options
    Dreoh wrote: »
    This is why no dps meters is my preferred option.

When you have an easy route to min-maxing you inevitably run into toxicity based around optimizing, and DPS meters are that easy route.

Addons also facilitate this undesirable outcome.

The thing is, if you allow addons, you're opening the floodgate and suddenly you have thousands of addons like ESO
    Maybe they could go the GW2 route and tentatively sanction a very select few trusted and proven addons. GW2 only has 3 addons that are allowed, and honestly they could and should all be implemented directly into the client.

i hope they just put one in on their own or add the functions we want into the game before it launches. Addons are typically there to fill a need or want from the community. I agree not all addons are good.
  • Options

i have been eating this food for a very long time. i know how to make this pizza taste good and look good. listen to me.
  • Options

When you have an easy route to min-maxing you inevitably run into toxicity based around optimizing, and DPS meters are that easy route.

The thing is, if you allow addons, you're opening the floodgate and suddenly you have thousands of addons like ESO
    Maybe they could go the GW2 route and tentatively sanction a very select few trusted and proven addons. GW2 only has 3 addons that are allowed, and honestly they could and should all be implemented directly into the client.

You don't even need addons to be implemented, having a proper combat log export into a txt file is basically enough.
    I think you only needed a makro to do that in wow so you can upload the data to Warcraftlogs:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/
    Then they give you a couple of nice graphs and stuff to make the data easy to read.

So no, you don't even need add-ons in the game to have proper combat tracking.
    As a result they don't facilitate anything add-on related as a general rule.

why dont they just add in their own meters that track everything so there is no 3rd party? Also why dont they go through the forums and see what things players want so they can add them before launch so the needs come from them
  • Options
    Tarnish wrote: »

You don't even need addons to be implemented, having a proper combat log export into a txt file is basically enough.
    I think you only needed a makro to do that in wow so you can upload the data to Warcraftlogs:
    Then they give you a couple of nice graphs and stuff to make the data easy to read.

why dont they just add in their own meters that track everything so there is no 3rd party? Also why dont they go through the forums and see what things players want so they can add them before launch so the needs come from them

the thing is, not all players want this.
  • Options

not all players are against it either. PVE players would use it, raid leaders would want them. They are planning on having a end game, just not much recent information on it. I recently played without a dps meter on a PTR. I was simply too lazy to download one. I quickly noticed i had questions and no answers. Its not a good feeling when you're pushing your buttons and have no idea what kind of impact you're bringing to the group. Especially as a hybrid. i want to know if im healing enough to heal or if i should focus on damage, i want to know what my healing or dps is. I understand not everyone wants them. As a player who supports my teams it makes it hard for me to want to play a support class or healer if i cant see what im doing on a meter so i can support better.
  • Options
    If you wont be playing AOC, then why did you just create a new thread?
  • Options
    If you wont be playing AOC, then why did you just create a new thread?

i would read my post
  • Options
    Think you ought to be open minded and give this game a chance has lots of positive features.
    Dps meters and addons have huge threads, think you ought to read them to gain a better prespective.
    Pretty sure there are going to be plenty of dungeouns and raids like in any standard MMO it is just not a huge selling point like sieges, Open world pvp, caravans, and so on. So while there are going to be raids and dungeouns well every MMO has those they are not a talking point like lets say Monster Cion System.

Read what you said about 40 man raids. Well first of all it does take a little more effort and work but that is the whole point of 40 man raids and like you said no one will be forcing you to do those forty man raids. Plus there should be plenty of 16 man raids for you to do. If most of the raids were going to be 40 man raids then it would be a concern but think 40 man raids will be more of an option for those people that have the time to prepare and do those raids.

Find it kind of odd that you said somethng about managing more people so guessing you would like smaller guilds.

Really do not think any of the the things are deal breakers per say. Just want to say that different MMO make different design choices so features vary from MMO to MMO.
  • Options
    Hey, I have an idea, test the game for 15 dollars in 2 years and then re-write this topic. Regards.
  • Options

i have been eating this food for a very long time. i know how to make this pizza taste good and look good. listen to me.

Does that mean Steven/Jeff/Intrepid don't know how to make pizza taste and look good? Or does it mean only the pizza you think taste and look good are actually good?

Nice dude, nice.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options

not all players are against it either. PVE players would use it, raid leaders would want them. They are planning on having a end game, just not much recent information on it. I recently played without a dps meter on a PTR. I was simply too lazy to download one. I quickly noticed i had questions and no answers. Its not a good feeling when you're pushing your buttons and have no idea what kind of impact you're bringing to the group. Especially as a hybrid. i want to know if im healing enough to heal or if i should focus on damage, i want to know what my healing or dps is. I understand not everyone wants them. As a player who supports my teams it makes it hard for me to want to play a support class or healer if i cant see what im doing on a meter so i can support better.

This is exactly why i don't want dps meters or any addons, they give answers too quickly. I started playing TERA without knowledge of what dps meters were and had been playing like that and in that time I just went with whatever felt right when I was fighting and was trying to optimize my character by raising its damage, but how? I had been asking players, friends with the same class as me about what damage their hardest hitting skill did, inspecting players, asking questions in chats, testing skills on mobs with a friend or on players and discussing combos. In the end it took me around 1-2 months to reach the acceptable dps( by watching players videos on youtube and comparing their clear/kill time with mine) and was experimenting with it for the whole patch to figure out if I could improve it.

After I discovered dps meters(Dunno but they suddenly appeared in the game and everyone started using it) I was excited about that tool and was using it extensively, but you know what? I stopped communicating with people about how I can possibly raise my dps, because of appearance of the leaderboard of dps in each dungeons I knew what standard dps is and all I had to do was to see what gear people in that leaderboard use and start farming till I reach that gear. When I was playing healer I think I was average but I couldn't carry party by myself but I KNEW that there is a room for improvement because I had seen healers who could carry almost any party in Battlegrounds or dungeons even with bad gear and anytime I could ask them what tricks they were using.

All this made me realize that this kind of gameplay with addons is more like that you are playing dps meter/combat tracker and the game it measures is just a tool to run it.

• Options
    Micromegas wrote: »

This is exactly why i don't want dps meters or any addons, they give answers too quickly. I started playing TERA without knowledge of what dps meters were and had been playing like that and in that time I just went with whatever felt right when I was fighting and was trying to optimize my character by raising its damage, but how? I had been asking players, friends with the same class as me about what damage their hardest hitting skill did, inspecting players, asking questions in chats, testing skills on mobs with a friend or on players and discussing combos. In the end it took me around 1-2 months to reach the acceptable dps( by watching players videos on youtube and comparing their clear/kill time with mine) and was experimenting with it for the whole patch to figure out if I could improve it.

After I discovered dps meters(Dunno but they suddenly appeared in the game and everyone started using it) I was excited about that tool and was using it extensively, but you know what? I stopped communicating with people about how I can possibly raise my dps, because of appearance of the leaderboard of dps in each dungeons I knew what standard dps is and all I had to do was to see what gear people in that leaderboard use and start farming till I reach that gear. When I was playing healer I think I was average but I couldn't carry party by myself but I KNEW that there is a room for improvement because I had seen healers who could carry almost any party in Battlegrounds or dungeons even with bad gear and anytime I could ask them what tricks they were using.

All this made me realize that this kind of gameplay with addons is more like that you are playing dps meter/combat tracker and the game it measures is just a tool to run it.

The great thing about meters is you don't have to use them. If you want to have to ask your party leader if you're doing well then turn it off and ask him. The best way to know what your highest hitting spells are is to use a meter.

Now if the only reason you spoke to your party leaders was to ask how to improve because you were late to the meter party. Then I would have to say you're also late to community party where we talk about all sorts of stuff. Including fun flexing on meters.

I would also invite you to the next level of meters and that is understanding how to read a meter and then the more advanced class of how to read a healing meter.
  • Options
    BaSkA13 wrote: »

Does that mean Steven/Jeff/Intrepid don't know how to make pizza taste and look good? Or does it mean only the pizza you think taste and look good are actually good?

Nice dude, nice.

If you were going to make a masterful pizza you use all the best pizza makers you can find. Congrats man, just leveled you up.
  • Options
    consultant wrote: »
    Think you ought to be open minded and give this game a chance has lots of positive features.
    Dps meters and addons have huge threads, think you ought to read them to gain a better prespective.
    Pretty sure there are going to be plenty of dungeouns and raids like in any standard MMO it is just not a huge selling point like sieges, Open world pvp, caravans, and so on. So while there are going to be raids and dungeouns well every MMO has those they are not a talking point like lets say Monster Cion System.

Read what you said about 40 man raids. Well first of all it does take a little more effort and work but that is the whole point of 40 man raids and like you said no one will be forcing you to do those forty man raids. Plus there should be plenty of 16 man raids for you to do. If most of the raids were going to be 40 man raids then it would be a concern but think 40 man raids will be more of an option for those people that have the time to prepare and do those raids.

Find it kind of odd that you said somethng about managing more people so guessing you would like smaller guilds.

Really do not think any of the the things are deal breakers per say. Just want to say that different MMO make different design choices so features vary from MMO to MMO.

So this keeps being pushed towards meters for some reason. I understand them really well and I have been in games without them. I think the biggest issue with not having meters is the misunderstanding that elitism is linked to meters where elitism is just something that exists. The reason why meters are linked to this is because raid leaders use them to identify underperforming factors in the group. So many have bad feelings when told they need to improve. The thing I didn't like was getting kicked in a mmo because I wasn't the build everyone thought was good but wasn't. Because there were no meters I couldn't show or prove my case so I get kicked for elitism but a uneducated elitism which is way worse.

For raid size, you're correct by nobody being forced to do anything. You could sit in a tavern all day and do nothing if you wanted. However I think you missed the part where I tend to raid the hardest pve content in games. I like leading those teams and I do prefer them to be medium sized raids. It is my opinion from taking my experience combined with data we have from the most successful times of WoWs history. WoW only being used because it is probably the most successful MMO of my era. This is why it effects me so much of I were to consider playing AoC I would need to know the content is good, good raid size, and tuned well.

I understand that all games have pve content of dungeons and raids. I understand this doesn't seem to be something you care about persay and that it is not the selling point of this MMO for you. However everyone's selling point will change according to their interest. However on this point I will likely partake in all of the content I can if the game meets the requirements of lasting longer than 1-2 months before every races off to the next game because this game failed at end game content. PvP communities are much smaller bounce around while PvE content gives a game a consistency.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Lock this thread
  • Options
    I heard in the September dev video that the best gear will be crafted. I will need to look online to see what info I can find but what's reason behind raiding if we're crafting everything? Is this where we get the best crafting materials? What are your feelings on this community?
  • Options
    BricktopBricktop Member
    edited October 2020
    I heard in the September dev video that the best gear will be crafted. I will need to look online to see what info I can find but what's reason behind raiding if we're crafting everything? Is this where we get the best crafting materials? What are your feelings on this community?

My feelings are that you should really learn about the game. World bosses drop materials and recipes for the best gear in the game and you need crafters to utilize them.

I didn't read this thread that much, but why would anybody trust your opinion when you don't even understand how the game will play out.
  • Options
    Bricktop wrote: »

My feelings are that you should really learn about the game. World bosses drop materials and recipes for the best gear in the game and you need crafters to utilize them.

I didn't read this thread that much, but why would anybody trust your opinion when you don't even understand how the game will play out.

My opinion matters to my community. I'm here gathering information and voicing my concerns from playing various other MMOs. Would like to see ashes of creation be successful. If it fails it'll be a 2 month adventure and I believe it has potential to be great. Just alot of people who don't really understand alot of elements of MMOs. Hope this enlightens he who judges me for not spending so much time researching a game yet doesn't read much of the post he is replying to.
  • Options
    Bricktop wrote: »

My opinion matters to my community. I'm here gathering information and voicing my concerns from playing various other MMOs. Would like to see ashes of creation be successful. If it fails it'll be a 2 month adventure and I believe it has potential to be great. Just alot of people who don't really understand alot of elements of MMOs. Hope this enlightens he who judges me for not spending so much time researching a game yet doesn't read much of the post he is replying to.

You are "gathering information and voicing your concerns" for a game you won't be playing according to your thread title? Alright. Sounds like you just want attention to me.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One

From what we've been told, the best gear will be made by master craftsman using materials dropped from raid-level monsters and bosses.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    Just alot of people who don't really understand alot of elements of MMOs. Hope this enlightens he who judges me for not spending so much time researching a game yet doesn't read much of the post he is replying to.

I get that you think that you're important. And, that's fine. You've clearly been the leader of a guild for too long, and have started to believe your own hype. Again, that's absolutely fine. I've seen it happen to many guild leaders. You're by no means the only person who has played a lot of MMOs.

However, if you've already decided some months ago that you won't be playing, and have already given us long essays of why, can I please, with all due respect, ask you to just go away and leave us to it. We're all jazzed about this game and are looking forward to it, and we want to enjoy the wait for release.

As others have said: Bye-bye, and good luck with whatever game you go on to play.

Rest In Peace.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options

From what we've been told, the best gear will be made by master craftsman using materials dropped from raid-level monsters and bosses.

How do you like that?

Generally I think it's a cool idea. I am going to have to check out wikipedia because I think that's where all the info is at. I
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Just alot of people who don't really understand alot of elements of MMOs. Hope this enlightens he who judges me for not spending so much time researching a game yet doesn't read much of the post he is replying to.

I get that you think that you're important. And, that's fine. You've clearly been the leader of a guild for too long, and have started to believe your own hype. Again, that's absolutely fine. I've seen it happen to many guild leaders. You're by no means the only person who has played a lot of MMOs.

However, if you've already decided some months ago that you won't be playing, and have already given us long essays of why, can I please, with all due respect, ask you to just go away and leave us to it. We're all jazzed about this game and are looking forward to it, and we want to enjoy the wait for release.

As others have said: Bye-bye, and good luck with whatever game you go on to play.

Rest In Peace.

I mean this is the forum post I created. I don't understand why you're posting here to be honest. This is for productive and educated chatter about how to make AoC better or to talk about things involving the game.

You can leave now,

Sincerely,

A guild leader who has been a guild leader too long
  • Options

They say admitting it is the first step to recovery! Good luck, we believe in you!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

They say admitting it is the first step to recovery! Good luck, we believe in you!

Hope you play better than you talk lol.
This discussion has been closed.