Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why i will not be playing AoC

Comments

• Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sounds like you'd have fun in WoW.

Good luck!
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Just wait til the game is finished and decide then lol
  • Options
    DebaseDebase Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ashes of Creation isn't going to be for everyone. Hope you find something that meets your desires.
  • Options
    DarkxGlaiveDarkxGlaive Member
    edited August 2020
    @Tarnish I hope you didn't purchase then leave! That would be horrible...
    𝒮𝒶𝓇𝓁𝒾𝓈 𝒮𝑜𝒻𝓉𝓌𝒾𝓃𝒹.
  • Options
    MoidMoid Member
    Paragraphs
    Are
    Your
    Friend
  • Options
    I've been avoiding this thread based on the title alone thinking it'd vanish.

Now that I'm here, it makes so much sense. I understand now.

/Bump

Hurf out. (Mic drop)™️
  • Options
    nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    @Tarnish
    I would like to debate your choice of words at the end there. The mechanics of AoC are not issues, they are the way the game is. Issues indicate a problem with a game. Ashes had a plan from the get go to make MMOs social and interesting again, and not the copycat money spinners they have become.

It's great that you want certain things from a game and would not like to see others. I'm afraid not every game is going to be to your liking. That is true for everyone. There are many games I like the setting or the premise for but find the gameplay is not to my taste. I play something else.

You seem dead set that you wouldn't like AoC. You haven't even tried it. You must have been interested to some extent because you set up an account and felt the need to post. I am sure you are intelligent enough to realise that posting that you'd rather see a game do things differently is not going to make it so, so deep down there must be some love of what AoC is doing.

I say the same to people who come on here and might say the proposed death mechanics are too harsh. Try it and see. I think people will be surprised with that. The same to be people who are wary of PvP.

Lastly, and I think most importantly, it's not wise to assume the features you have read about, and the way those features work, are set in stone. Ashes isn't even in alpha yet. I don't think the greater idea of Ashes being more challenging or that it is incredibly sandbox will change, but there will be tweaks. For all we know, Intrepid will include a dps meter. I don't think the inclusion of that is outside of what the game envisions.

Like it was for me when I first tried the copy of Everquest that was on the cover of PCZone back in 2002, it might well be the game that changes your gaming and takes it to a new level. Playing that game was the best thing I ever did. I'd never heard of it and wasn't even sure I'd get into it. A day later and I was hooked.

I don't think Ashes will change, but that doesn't mean it ain't for you. When it releases come back, spend a small amount and try it for a month. You don't need to buy the game, just a month's subscription. It might be the best thing you ever do, and, like me and Everquest, you end up playing an MMO you'll love for years and remember for even longer.

Welcome to the Ashes community. We all hope you stay and end up loving this title that promises to well and truly revolutionalise MMOs. Because it will.
  • Options
    Can I haz ur stuffs!?!!1!
  • Options
    RisingPhoenixRisingPhoenix Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    So....we haven't even entered a1 and someone posts a small novel in why they won't play? Intrepid has done what very few devs have ever done and opened up alot about the game and.....seriously considered public input. No going to play? Sorry but this is troll to me. What we have seen is nothing compared to release and I am certain some servers are going to be more pve than others. Although pvp is a significant part, it isn't what will define the game, just enhance it. Social interaction, working as a team, exploring, crafting, ....the list goes on.
  • Options
    I can tell this guy was arguing about DPS meters, got hurt and emotional so he wrote this.

Go cry in your bed not here, bye bye.
  • Options
    Pl1xPl1x Member
    edited August 2020
    Do you log onto every game's forum to tell people why you won't play it?

Hope they stick to their decision of no addons and no damagemeters.
  • Options
    @Tarnish I hope you didn't purchase then leave! That would be horrible...

Not likely, considering he joined 4 days before that. @DarkxGlaive

Nice to have you in the community btw, enjoy your stay.
  • Options
    IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    I think OP should learn what Paragraphs are before ranting on the Forums
    Izil.png
  • Options
    Good Evening,

I wanted to give some good feedback on AoC and help make it actually the next WoW killer and not just another MMO that comes and goes after a couple of months post launch.

I wanted to address some of the comments but not go into too much as this community seems riddled with people who do not want new ideas or new age things in this MMO. This would be insanely long if i were to do that. Just know i read them and none of you have swayed any of the arguments i have on MMOs and what they should and should not have. I wish i could get your trust that i am very knowledgeable of MMOs and can often tell when one will flop or be successful. I know it is something that is earned over a long period of time and being correct about topics.

For those of you who do not know, I have raided in multiple MMOs at the highest difficulty and have been top US/World/server level player for 15 years and have been playing for 20+ years.

My feedback is simple, I see some big flaws that should not be capable. I understand the games still in alpha however as we all know MMOs have 2 legs to stand on, PVE and PVP. I like PVP however PVE is MY passion. If any MMO is going to be successful it needs both. Every example and most of the future content appears to have PVP involved with the PVE. Anyone who has played a MMO should know why that does not make sense. Some is good, too much is bad. Some of the ideas i really like however the thought of others seem fun in theory however having experience with the topic i can see the cons of it and know how it will play out long term.

Addons as i mentioned in my last post are generally used to fix something in the game that does not work or can be improved. I stated i am a minimalist in that area but hope they put in DPS meters as in 2020 there is no good reason not to have them. I read some of the comments however i was seeing a lot of bad points and as much as i would like to address everyone's bad examples or taking things i said and not reading my entire point on the subject, This is for the Devs to hopefully read coming from someone with a lot of experience in PVE content. I have read comments stating that they want chaotic raids. There will be plenty of those don't you worry. There will always be raids of various skill caps. Some may use meters, some may just be there to mess around and hang with the team. I do want Raids that can be competitive where you benefit from min/max playing. I would like a map for marking and drawing out battle plans, I want a UI that i can customize in game similarly but better than SWTOR. I want small competitive raid sizes that make sense and are fun strategically speaking. I want to have to think about my raid comp not just invite a ton of players. I do not mind pvping for some PVE objectives but i want pure competitive PVE raids that give the best loot at the most difficult level. I have lead communities of every size and i am not against having a large guild. I just have seen the success of smaller raid teams in MMOs. It just seems better for MMOs to adopt a smaller raid team. It doesn't effect large communities and it benefits smaller communities.

WoW fan boi inc. I have used WoW the King of MMOs for alot of my examples because i imagine it is the most commonly played MMO as its popularity would give. If AoC is successful it will pull in players from WoW to achieve greatness or it will fall short like many before it. I am not asking for a WoW 2.0, I am trying to give the game real feedback so it can be better. i hate to say this but glorifying everything the devs put up will not make it better. They need strong feedback from a different community and i am the kind of player who comes and plays long term and will deep dive. I also am from the community that they are currently heavily lacking. I am looking for a game that i will play for the next 10 years. I need strong PVE content. PVP will not sustain me. As the PVE scene knows Iron sharpens Iron. I am very hard on WoW and am very disappointed in the game and that is why i have other MMOs and their raids on my resume. I like transparency and i am not 100% giving up on AoC as i stated before i would be keeping an eye on it. AoC needs PVE content to be successful and WoW despite like i said constantly disappointing me, it does have the best raids i have ever encountered. The only game to have content i can not clear quickly although quicker than most. however if i go farther into this topic i will be forced to rant about my issues with WoW and that would likely not help AoC much. This post is to help AoC become better. Most players will not know what is better or not. Leaders and good ones at that are the ones that will know. I have watched and predicted on many games and have yet to be wrong. AoC has some true potential. I want them to succeed and i would love to quit Classic WoW and WoW all together for a better game. Many games have had potential in the past. Lets not waste this opportunity fighting over things that honestly do not hurt the community. Lets not fight about things that every good MMO has. Lets take the good and get rid of the bad. With that note, lets fight soon about topics you think i am incorrect on 1 by 1 on a separate post i make where i can truly deep dive and show you guys why these things are essential or a positive change or positive things to have.

Feel free to comment on a topic that you think will hurt the community/game and i will make a separate post breaking it down Thoroughly from a Raid leader and Raiders perspective towards PVE content mostly. Raid sizes, Meters, instanced raids vs world bosses, PVE world objectives and crafting etc. I have plenty of knowledge and i do not mind getting nitty and gritty with any of the topics. This will help me break down alot of comments in one discussion vs trying to answer multiple questions or concerns about multiple topics in 1 discussion.

Please post comments of what you think should not be in the game or what you agree with me on. I will make a separate post in great detail. If you support and are afraid of getting hated on, feel free toss me a message and lets brain storm a good middle ground or ideas we can recommend for AoC.

Sincerely,

Tarnish
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Woot multi boxing at its finest.

What hard information do you have and link the source please on where this is NOT the game Except for meters and addons. Both of which of their own multi-boxing threads.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    @Tarnish I love your comment about looking for a game for the next ten years. I am interested in AoC because of the potential long playability. I master crafting in every game I play, and that alone caught my interest as trades in this game is similar to Star Wars Galaxies. There were cases that five years later, ore still had not spawned that was as good as when it came early on. I want to play this game long term too and am also hopeful that this game will take PVE seriously. I have my concerns too: for example will pvp overtake people in the open world raids as the percentage the devs have given us is 80% open world and 20% instanced. That is concerning as PVE could be overtaken by PVP.

Also in the video from the August overview, Steven showed a small version of the castle siege with a raid boss in it and said the most DPS would get the castle. DPS will obviously be important and no way to measure that same DPS seems contradictory.

I too have my concerns, I understand where you are coming from. I have spent so much time like you on games that came, were really cool and then you hit max level and then there was little or next to nothing to do except PVP. I have been searching for a new MMO that I can play with longevity like I did with SWTOR, WoW FF14, Phantasy Star Online, AION, etc... the list goes on.

I think the community is going really hard on your posts, but I appreciate your constructive feedback and you make good points, though I am not giving up on the game before it comes out. I am hopeful that the devs listen to us and enrich the game with our feedback.
  • Options
    Oh, you again.
  • Options
    KHRONUS wrote: »
    @Tarnish I felt your post was fairly respectful but you are complaining about a game that has 1.5+ years to go for development and you are saying that the issues that you see are too deeply rooted for you to give it a chance. You are also failing to recognize the reason for not having dps meters. JUST TURNING IT OFF is not the solution for the players that feel a dps meter would force a different community feeling that we want to see in this game. I come from a dps meter background where I have removed players for not being where they should be......now it will be a breath of fresh air to not have that as a tool. A tool that requires every "top tier" guild to use it to measure players. Instead, as a guild leader I have the opportunity to work with the whole raid to figure out what it is we are doing wrong.

You also fail to see the point of why they have decided on 40 player raids without the option for 10 mans or other variance. This game is bringing back MMO roots of community building and making a name for yourself. Guilds that have 20 people in them and just run 10 player end game content are quite literally one of the biggest fails an MMO can have. They take away from precisely what IS wants out of this game and if you look at current wow now....it's dead because of it.

I don't see why people think "wow killer" is still a thing. Wow is dead. Addiction is one of the biggest reasons they have subscriptions. The other is nostalgia. Had they not released wow classic, the numbers would be a whole lot different. I tried coming back to current wow and it is such a failed abomination of a game compared to what it used to be. I couldn't play WOW out of spite because they are just capitalizing on that nostalgia to keep their heads afloat. Don't even get me started on the community for blizzard games. Talk about cancer.

I don't expect a response, just had to clear things up. Have a good one.

Hi, wanted to squash this because you came off pretty respectful. for WoW and raid sizes. WoW popularity and Subs went up to record numbers each time they adjusted raid sizes. TBC wen to 25M and WOTLK went to 10M or 25M. WoW began to decline in Cata which is where i quit do to LFR.

Now for the DPS meter as you posted. Big flaws is that you replaced your dps instead of helping get better with that DPS meter. DPS meters are tools. Just because someone under performs on dmg. It is very complex. If there is a support role you must take everything into account. However lets focus on the same example without a dps meter. How would you fix your issue without even being able to figure out what the raider is doing wrong. OR which one is causing the issues, or how many are causing issues. If you had a dps meter you can dig into his logs, even if you have never played the class before and at least give him some advice that could benefit him. Without a dps meter you're blind to the issues and can not properly lead your raiders to success. I know alot of people have bad experiences with elitist guilds. i assure you at the top of the mountain most of us are very kind and just try and help educate everyone on how to perform at their personal best.

Raid size directly will effect how many teams assemble and from my experience more teams playing together generate more fun. Smaller and easier formed groups tend to lead to more interactions and fun. Fun keeps people around. In classic WoW right now the game has the community we missed however the raid size is the biggest down side and even the most successful guilds struggle with it. I just posted a second post to this one requesting topics to deep dive on. please comment a topic and i will surely deep dive and really thoroughly try to cover all the issues and concerns with a topic so that i dont have to speak on multiple topics in one post.

Thanks dude,

Tarnish
  • Options
    Ricayu wrote: »
    @Tarnish I love your comment about looking for a game for the next ten years. I am interested in AoC because of the potential long playability. I master crafting in every game I play, and that alone caught my interest as trades in this game is similar to Star Wars Galaxies. There were cases that five years later, ore still had not spawned that was as good as when it came early on. I want to play this game long term too and am also hopeful that this game will take PVE seriously. I have my concerns too: for example will pvp overtake people in the open world raids as the percentage the devs have given us is 80% open world and 20% instanced. That is concerning as PVE could be overtaken by PVP.

Also in the video from the August overview, Steven showed a small version of the castle siege with a raid boss in it and said the most DPS would get the castle. DPS will obviously be important and no way to measure that same DPS seems contradictory.

I too have my concerns, I understand where you are coming from. I have spent so much time like you on games that came, were really cool and then you hit max level and then there was little or next to nothing to do except PVP. I have been searching for a new MMO that I can play with longevity like I did with SWTOR, WoW FF14, Phantasy Star Online, AION, etc... the list goes on.

I think the community is going really hard on your posts, but I appreciate your constructive feedback and you make good points, though I am not giving up on the game before it comes out. I am hopeful that the devs listen to us and enrich the game with our feedback.

I am glad to see more PVE players in the forums. I understand you're concern for PVP and PVE conflict. I am hoping for some PVE content to be announce soon. so far everything has had PVP linked to it. I do not mind some of that. I think that PVE players would just like to know they have a place to do what they love to do.

I am not 100% giving up on the game, however things such as DPS are a topic of debate and from a PVE perspective let alone PVP that is kind of hard to imagine they will input PVE content that i am currently look for. I am looking for challenging raids that will keep me busy for 10+ years and the content to be difficult enough to keep me here. A dps meter will be needed if there is going to be such content. I am glad you enjoyed some of the MMOs you listed. I have played many of them too.
  • Options
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options

yeah, unfortunately no new information has been presented to me by that post. I have so many questions on how performance is tracked with or without dps meter or meter in general. How the raids will get harder and how being in the open world works with people around that can easily wipe or mess with your performance. I also still dislike the raid size however with the PVE content being all world bosses this far, it does not give us much room to actually PVE and prove our skills.
  • Options
    I agree with you on the meter part. Most people only see DPS and fail to see the rest of what is recorded and presented. If only more people understood how to read and use meters it would be less of a concern.
    Look at retail wow the vast majority of the player base just sees the one number and it is sad.
    Raid size I also see your point and agree. I tend to raid more and PVP sometimes once in a while.
    Playing Rift at launch was a ton of fun on a pvp server. Zone event happens and both sides get to the final boss. Big PvP-PvE battle as both sides trying to own the boss and wipe each other out was super fun and is/was better then running in to a loot pinata at the end of an event with both sides working together.
  • Options
    I think at one point they said there will be some instanced raids. Not sure what or how but I get what your saying.
    There is a mega thread going on meters(I am sure you saw it). I posted in your other thread and agree with you on this point. I like to try new builds and mark them out to see what does best and works best for me. I usually play the glassiest of cannons and open world stuff is a straight up dps race. Who can throw up the most the fastest. Survival can be a challenge but not being able to measure and know where I am at will make it more difficult to gauge. Not a deal killer for me but I see your point.
  • Options
    I agree with you on the meter part. Most people only see DPS and fail to see the rest of what is recorded and presented. If only more people understood how to read and use meters it would be less of a concern.
    Look at retail wow the vast majority of the player base just sees the one number and it is sad.
    Raid size I also see your point and agree. I tend to raid more and PVP sometimes once in a while.
    Playing Rift at launch was a ton of fun on a pvp server. Zone event happens and both sides get to the final boss. Big PvP-PvE battle as both sides trying to own the boss and wipe each other out was super fun and is/was better then running in to a loot pinata at the end of an event with both sides working together.

I agree Rift had some good fun and i am not against all encounters with PVP. I just want more content that the top guilds can try and kill that are extremely hard and do not have PVP to mess with them. In some games the raid content is hard enough on its own and takes 500+ wipes to down. I want that challenge without the PVP lol. I like alot of the objectives that mix PVP and PVE because for some of my raiders they were not good at PVP however in a situation where there is both like in AV, the PVE player can focus on PVE objectives while the more PVP skilled players can do the PVPing for them.
  • Options
    A part two??

Your viewpoints are exactly the sort of thing I would expect from the elitist Warcraft raiding manufacturing and processing facility. Right down to the entitlement.

DPS meters introduced exclusion during Karazhan.

Deadly boss mod, or as I called it, "run away little girl" couldn't keep the dps from standing in void zones no matter how many raid members installed it.

When the item score mod was introduced during ICC it made the exclusion and toxic elitism from the dps meter introduction look like sweet apple pie.

During Cata Blizz tried to make raid content with the assumption that everyone will have DBM, and as a result created some if the most unfun dungeons and raids in WoW history. Guilds fell apart players quit for good and LFR was born.

Current year wow a typical guild only lasts as long as the current content patch.
  • Options
    I think at one point they said there will be some instanced raids. Not sure what or how but I get what your saying.
    There is a mega thread going on meters(I am sure you saw it). I posted in your other thread and agree with you on this point. I like to try new builds and mark them out to see what does best and works best for me. I usually play the glassiest of cannons and open world stuff is a straight up dps race. Who can throw up the most the fastest. Survival can be a challenge but not being able to measure and know where I am at will make it more difficult to gauge. Not a deal killer for me but I see your point.

yeah, that's a entirely different perspective, its gonna effect how people build and spec their character. Lots of angles and i hope they come to terms with the option would not hurt as much as they think.
  • Options
    A part two??

Your viewpoints are exactly the sort of thing I would expect from the elitist Warcraft raiding manufacturing and processing facility. Right down to the entitlement.

DPS meters introduced exclusion during Karazhan.

Deadly boss mod, or as I called it, "run away little girl" couldn't keep the dps from standing in void zones no matter how many raid members installed it.

When the item score mod was introduced during ICC it made the exclusion and toxic elitism from the dps meter introduction look like sweet apple pie.

During Cata Blizz tried to make raid content with the assumption that everyone will have DBM, and as a result created some if the most unfun dungeons and raids in WoW history. Guilds fell apart players quit for good and LFR was born.

Current year wow a typical guild only lasts as long as the current content patch.

I am trying to find where we disagree. There was some tough bosses in Cata, Heroic Rag was pretty fun, the "5man Raids" which got nerfed too early were cool. LFR was why i quit and went to SWTOR and bounced around after i cleared their hardest content. What do you disagree with? i did not ask for Gear score or ilevel checkers. Good players know that Ilvl doesn't mean anything. that has been consistent from even back then at the top of the mountain at least. Sounds like you pugged a lot. Cata and prior i never really pugged however i heard the horror stories.
  • Options
    KneczhevoKneczhevo Member
    edited August 2020
    What a well written and passionate post. ☺️ Unfortunately, I see it more as a troll needing a therapy session.

I have no idea what topics you brought up, I don't chase names. I chase comments.

What I gathered (from this thread), you are a PVEer? And you're not happy about your responses to your suggestions? I'm not rereading your other thread.

We all want a great game, period. Some have great ideas, some don't. If your idea is not getting into people's heads, you are doing something wrong or it's a dumb idea. Accept it and move on. Try a new approach, don't cry to the forums.

You come to a PvP community, and expect carebear treatment? Lmao. Get real.

I'm a carebear with fangs and claws. Grow a pair.

Edit: Intrepid/Steven has already stated; they are not making the next WoW killer. So, your first sentence is is invalid.
  • Options
    Tarnish wrote: »
    Good Evening,
    I wanted to address some of the comments but not go into too much as this community seems riddled with people who do not want new ideas or new age things in this MMO. This would be insanely long if i were to do that. Just know i read them and none of you have swayed any of the arguments i have on MMOs and what they should and should not have. I wish i could get your trust that i am very knowledgeable of MMOs and can often tell when one will flop or be successful. I know it is something that is earned over a long period of time and being correct about topics.

Really hope you're not just trolling with these posts, but regardless, I really think that we don't need separate topics for this discussion... I'm not a mod though.
    My feedback is simple, I see some big flaws that should not be capable. I understand the games still in alpha however as we all know MMOs have 2 legs to stand on, PVE and PVP. I like PVP however PVE is MY passion. If any MMO is going to be successful it needs both. Every example and most of the future content appears to have PVP involved with the PVE. Anyone who has played a MMO should know why that does not make sense. Some is good, too much is bad. Some of the ideas i really like however the thought of others seem fun in theory however having experience with the topic i can see the cons of it and know how it will play out long term.

I'm not sure what you mean by the first sentence. I understand that your preference is for PvE, however this is very subjective and doesn't necessarily reflect everyone else's preferences. People need to realize that not every game needs to be centered around their passion. We would have a very boring catalogue of games if every game were built to one person's preference.

Not every game needs to have X% of PvE and (100-X)% of PvP content. For example, FFIV basically has non-existent PvP and yet it is the 3rd most popular MMO right now. In fact, there are plenty of popular PvE-centric MMOs right now and I would consider that part of the market saturated. If that's your style of MMO, then please play those games rather than spending effort trying to turn every game into a PvE game, there are already literally hundreds of those for you to choose from. I believe that alternative models to this can be successful, and I like the direction that AoC is going with no P2W microtransactions, extensive crafting content, innovative node systems, naval content, huge player driven economy, player-owned houses, etc... A lot of games with more PvP failed because P2W was implemented and the player population started dropping off a cliff, or games that are just generally low on content in general. The latter won't be a problem if Intrepid just delivers on the scope that they already have planned.
    Anyone who has played a MMO should know why that does not make sense. Some is good, too much is bad. Some of the ideas i really like however the thought of others seem fun in theory however having experience with the topic i can see the cons of it and know how it will play out long term.

If you are really sincere about your feedback, can you please provide concrete examples for ideas that have obvious cons? I think if the cons were so obvious, then developers would not even consider implementing them in games. It may be obvious to you, but saying that "anyone who has played a MMO should know why that does not make sense" isn't very productive feedback.
This discussion has been closed.