Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why i will not be playing AoC

Comments

• Options
    Tarnish wrote: »
    bigepeen wrote: »
    CaptnChuck wrote: »
    Challenging PvE content is indeed a big question mark when it comes to AoC.

I also agree with you on your point about WoW. A lot of people say that this game isn't a WoW 2.0, but what they don't realize is that WoW has the largest MMO player-base out of all other MMORPGs. So if you want to be successful, you have to be able to attract its player-base as well. That's the reason why FF14 became so successful. The challenging PvE content in FF14, attracted a ton of players from WoW.

So I hope that Steven understands this. Sacrificing a bit of social activity, for challenging PvE content, isn't really a bad trade-off in my books.

I agree, I think in the long run it will benefit the community.

I don't agree, I think it will harm the community. It will create a large portion of players sequestered off in basically an instanced mini-game, making the world feel less populated and lively. Additionally, these players will start whining about having to do any PvP and either start asking for non-PvP servers or making every dungeon instanced.

In order to have a healthy, dynamic server, AoC needs players who want to join in on the PvP systems, and join in on sending caravans, joining castle sieges, joining node wars, etc..

how do you think it will harm the community?

I told you exactly how. Did you read my post?
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Don't know if the devs have mentioned what type of content will be in instanced dungeons though, but neither do you, which is my point. [/quote]

why are they unknown? they should have at least a theory for us. they should be able to give us something. PVP has been getting a ton of great ideas and theories. i want the PVE info. [/quote]

Wonder how much of the content is tied to Lore or behind it. They have kept a pretty tight lid on most of it.
    They did say the instanced stuff was reserved for story telling.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    wArchAngel wrote: »
    They STARTED dying and massively declining in population when they started losing their identity, instead of improving their current features, they tried to catter to the "everyone is a winner" mentality by putting epic bosses into a non-pvp zone or instanced zone, so everyone could go and farm them. Thats where the games lost all of their charm, and were massively dropped, that and the increasing p2w model.

all i see is a old dead game. This is 2020 i think it is much wiser to take the lessons we have learned over the last 15 years and implement them into this game to make it a original game unique with the pros from all the games of the past.

I can say the same about WoW, all i see is a game with faceless population and an identity of carebearing. Those things dont appeal in Ashes, as i said earlier, we dont need a second wow, nor do we care if wow gets killed by it, we want AoC. And AoC is built on competition and rivalry, you want to farm mobs in your "safe bubble", you go to wow and auto-lfr to clear and get BiS's. The problem is as i see it, you dont want "challenging content", you want a "challenging" pve content behind an instanced wall, so you could get the best loot without competing for it.
  • Options
    I think my favorite thing about part 2 that it got merged into part one.😆

/bump™️
  • Options
    They STARTED dying and massively declining in population when they started losing their identity, instead of improving their current features, they tried to catter to the "everyone is a winner" mentality by putting epic bosses into a non-pvp zone or instanced zone, so everyone could go and farm them. Thats where the games lost all of their charm, and were massively dropped, that and the increasing p2w model.

all i see is a old dead game. This is 2020 i think it is much wiser to take the lessons we have learned over the last 15 years and implement them into this game to make it a original game unique with the pros from all the games of the past.

I can say the same about WoW, all i see is a game with faceless population and an identity of carebearing. Those things dont appeal in Ashes, as i said earlier, we dont need a second wow, nor do we care if wow gets killed by it, we want AoC. And AoC is built on competition and rivalry, you want to farm mobs in your "safe bubble", you go to wow and auto-lfr to clear and get BiS's. The problem is as i see it, you dont want "challenging content", you want a "challenging" pve content behind an instanced wall, so you could get the best loot without competing for it.

nobody is asking for a wow 2. well i'm sure there are. but if you read my post you will see what i said about that. this game needs some real feedback. i do not see the community doing a good job of that so i am trying to figure out what you guys are missing to help bridge the gap in knowledge. btw WoW is extremely populated if you add in the classic servers. not really the same at all. still has the most players and i believe its time is far past what it should be.
  • Options
    Don't know if the devs have mentioned what type of content will be in instanced dungeons though, but neither do you, which is my point.

why are they unknown? they should have at least a theory for us. they should be able to give us something. PVP has been getting a ton of great ideas and theories. i want the PVE info. [/quote]

Wonder how much of the content is tied to Lore or behind it. They have kept a pretty tight lid on most of it.
    They did say the instanced stuff was reserved for story telling. [/quote]

there is ways to inform the PVE community without spoiling lore. however i am curious to the lore.
  • Options

I also agree with you on your point about WoW. A lot of people say that this game isn't a WoW 2.0, but what they don't realize is that WoW has the largest MMO player-base out of all other MMORPGs. So if you want to be successful, you have to be able to attract its player-base as well. That's the reason why FF14 became so successful. The challenging PvE content in FF14, attracted a ton of players from WoW.

So I hope that Steven understands this. Sacrificing a bit of social activity, for challenging PvE content, isn't really a bad trade-off in my books.

I don't agree, I think it will harm the community. It will create a large portion of players sequestered off in basically an instanced mini-game, making the world feel less populated and lively. Additionally, these players will start whining about having to do any PvP and either start asking for non-PvP servers or making every dungeon instanced.

In order to have a healthy, dynamic server, AoC needs players who want to join in on the PvP systems, and join in on sending caravans, joining castle sieges, joining node wars, etc..

i dont see how that would happen. a meter just lets us see how we are doing. lets us improve and experience the content at a more educated level. so we can down more difficult content. this would not take away from any other content. it is all still relevant to the world and the same guilds and teams would be doing that content aswell. I did not just raid i also ranked in PVP.
  • Options
    I've said it earlier, i will repeat it again.
    I dont mind you carebearing as much as you want, i dont mind a lot of instanced content, it can be as hard as you wish.
    I DONT want those instances to drop BiS's(Best in Slots), or uniques, that will actually force people to go there, but will give an equal opportunity for free to everyone to get those BiS's and uniques. This kind of gear should be behind a competition wall, not some mob in a pvp-free separated area.

the hardest instanced raid in the game should drop the bis items. however i think they should be materials that should be smelted or refined by masters, then forged by masters into something. just my opinion.
  • Options
    I dont mind you carebearing as much as you want, i dont mind a lot of instanced content, it can be as hard as you wish.
    I DONT want those instances to drop BiS's(Best in Slots), or uniques, that will actually force people to go there, but will give an equal opportunity for free to everyone to get those BiS's and uniques. This kind of gear should be behind a competition wall, not some mob in a pvp-free separated area.

the hardest instanced raid in the game should drop the bis items. however i think they should be materials that should be smelted or refined by masters, then forged by masters into something. just my opinion.

I see no point in any further discussion, we have fundamentally different points of view. It was a nice prolonged dialogue, but our ways will separate now, thanks for the discussion, had fun.
  • Options
    InixiaInixia Member
    edited August 2020
    Ok this is.... a real wall to read through. And idk if I like these sort of ultimatum type posts.
    But that said I actually kind of agree with some of the points...
    This is just my opinion though.

-PVP and Raid PVE ideally should have distinct instancing at highest levels. Its not fun to ward of rival gankers during a raid fight. And in general the communities who engage in each tend to be largely different bases in my experience.
    -I get why development might feel the focus on add-ons isn't always helpful but in my experience DPS and Inc DMG Parsing is almost a must for Raiding. Players need an objective measure to know what's working and isn't and how to improve themselves.
    And... idk... I just find having those personal goals in mind to be fun. I'm not sure getting rid of them will get rid of elitism like ppl think. That said a lot of other add-ons are less helpful and there needs to be a vetting process.
    -40 man group size is a large group size to be fun to coordinate for and find attendance for - assuming the boss is designed to be technically challenging and not just an excuse to get people outside into the world (the largest raid sizes should focus on something close to 20-man imo and I've even had a lot of fun with 10-mans) the element of personal skill is also diluted in group sizes that large and the focus is more on managing weaker links. What op said is also right that you have to re-explain fights a lot whenever new players join a raid and with larger group sizes that happens more as they tend to be less steady.

Personally (coming from mostly a Rift/EQ2 raider) I don't know if anything will be a WoW killer until WoW kills itself. So much of the playerbase is locked up in the game already and its not necessarily because of quality, at this point its less of a game and more of a social network for nostalgia. WOW may have been one to help launch the mmo genre, and that has my respect, but its also the game that's hurt it the most too. For better and worse its defined a lot that followed it.
  • Options

Hey "Old School",
    BiS items will be crafted not static drops.
    Rember Thunder Fury?

You should try spending more time on the wiki and get educated before trying to indoctrinate everybody with your "correct think."
  • Options
    halbarzhalbarz Member
    edited August 2020
    Bit late to the discussion but I do want to point out that WoW's large player base is not due it being a good game because let's be honest it is flawed as hell.

WoW is popular because it caters to a lot of people, to have decent gear you do not have to be actually good at the game. The systems are extremely simplistic and the player base is large because it was the first MMO to really go big in the early/mid 2000. People play the game because it is for most people their first real MMO. it is familiar, it's a safe space you can say, and again it is not very in-depth. (system / feature-wise)
    WoW does not have content that is that difficult either, Mythic+ is challenging but also there it is WoW ... there is only so much they can do when it comes down to creating content ... (age of the game and etc)

Player numbers are of course important but let's be honest since WoW released it has not had any real big competition. The attempts of Swtor and etc were well ... sad. FF14 has a big IP carrying the game as well, the same goes for ESO + it's a different style of MMO in a weird sense.

In my personal opinion WoW and AoC have little in common and trying to compare them is like you would compare Archeage with WoW, it makes no sense.
    I personally believe that games such as Gw2, ESO, maybe even BDO have a lot more to lose with AoC coming out in a few years then WoW. These games have not that much in common either but they have an audience that fits the "profile'' better. (large scale PvP, more build complexity, etc) Again this is my personal opinion.

Do not take this the wrong way but it sounds like AoC might not be your cup of tea. I would advise to follow the development and decide later on :)

I personally do not understand the need for add-ons, you clearly claim to have experience so, in my opinion, you should be skilled enough to have the insight and knowledge to have some kind of a headstart vs. a new player.
  • Options

Hey "Old School",
    Rember Thunder Fury?

You should try spending more time on the wiki and get educated before trying to indoctrinate everybody with your "correct think."

i think you aggressive anti WoW players need to chill out and realize a outsiders opinion is exactly what the game needs to succeed. hive mind only goes so far when your hive is only so big.
  • Options

Hey "Old School",
    Rember Thunder Fury?

i think you aggressive anti WoW players need to chill out and realize a outsiders opinion is exactly what the game needs to succeed. hive mind only goes so far when your hive is only so big.

I don't think anyone here disagrees that outside opinions are a good thing, that's why we're all here giving feedback right?

Everyone here seems to have a problem with how unbending and unreasonable your arguments are. You aren't considering other points of view and what merit they have.
  • Options
    halbarz wrote: »
    Bit late to the discussion but I do want to point out that WoW's large player base is not due it being a good game because let's be honest it is flawed as hell.

WoW is popular because it caters to a lot of people, to have decent gear you do not have to be actually good at the game. The systems are extremely simplistic and the player base is large because it was the first MMO to really go big in the early/mid 2000. People play the game because it is for most people their first real MMO. it is familiar, it's a safe space you can say, and again it is not very in-depth. (system / feature-wise)
    WoW does not have content that is that difficult either, Mythic+ is challenging but also there it is WoW ... there is only so much they can do when it comes down to creating content ... (age of the game and etc)

Player numbers are of course important but let's be honest since WoW released it has not had any real big competition. The attempts of Swtor and etc were well ... sad. FF14 has a big IP carrying the game as well, the same goes for ESO + it's a different style of MMO in a weird sense.

In my personal opinion WoW and AoC have little in common and trying to compare them is like you would compare Archeage with WoW, it makes no sense.
    I personally believe that games such as Gw2, ESO, maybe even BDO have a lot more to lose with AoC coming out in a few years then WoW. These games have not that much in common either but they have an audience that fits the "profile'' better. (large scale PvP, a lot of build complexity, etc) Again this is my personal opinion.

Do not take this the wrong way but it sounds like AoC might not be your cup of tea. I would advise to follow the development and decide later on :)

I personally do not understand the need for add-ons, you clearly claim to have experience so, in my opinion, you should be skilled enough to have the insight and knowledge to have some kind of a headstart vs. a new player.

lets be honest. Its the most popular MMO because it is still the best place to Raid, PVP, and RP. There is a huge community of loyal WoW players from all sorts of different years. Not to mention classic brought back alot. People have to enjoy playing the game or it dies. plain and simple. I do not agree and i think we need objective minds if we are going to make AoC a game that will be relevant. attacking WoW players and WoW does not help AoC. examples from the best MMO out there is just what it is. examples.
  • Options

Hey "Old School",
    Rember Thunder Fury?

lol you need a hug?
  • Options
    I thought this guy said he was out....?
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    Samson wrote: »
    I thought this guy said he was out....?

i said i would be keeping my eye out for updates and would pop in. got anything to add to the discussion?
  • Options

Hey "Old School",
    Rember Thunder Fury?

I think your mainstream elitist carbon copy wow player mind set is played out. It has been for literally over a decade.

I get it, you're scared of meaningful pvp, and are worried you can't wag your epeen around out side of it.

Either that you're just too proud to admit you don't know how to get to the wiki.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    halbarzhalbarz Member
    edited August 2020
    halbarz wrote: »

I personally believe that games such as Gw2, ESO, maybe even BDO have a lot more to lose with AoC coming out in a few years then WoW. These games have not that much in common either but they have an audience that fits the "profile'' better. (large scale PvP, a lot of build complexity, etc) Again this is my personal opinion.

lets be honest. Its the most popular MMO because it is still the best place to Raid, PVP, and RP. There is a huge community of loyal WoW players from all sorts of different years. Not to mention classic brought back alot. People have to enjoy playing the game or it dies. plain and simple. I do not agree and i think we need objective minds if we are going to make AoC a game that will be relevant. attacking WoW players and WoW does not help AoC. examples from the best MMO out there is just what it is. examples.

First of all as a side note: WoW best place to PvP and RP made me laugh :smiley: This gives me the impression that you either do not really PvP a lot or have not played any kind of other MMO seriously for a few months/years.

Raiding wise WoW is not bad, it has a lot to offer both old and new content. The reason classic is popular is that people go back for .... nostalgia nothing else.

WoW had a big and popular IP, compared to other MMO's back then. It was the first MMO to actually feel and look good back then and it offered good content back then, the graphics aged well. The best MMO is an opinion that you have, not everyone will think my favorite MMO is the best. So I would stop using that 'argument' if I were you.

I have nothing against WoW at all, I am glad there is a MMO for people that enjoy the warcraft setting and etc. All I am trying to point out is that AoC is not WoW. I have the impression you feel like you are being attacked, which is certainly not the case.

Addons: are not a must and if this stops you from playing the game then that is your choice. If you add addons into a game you cannot remove them or it would be hell on the forums and etc. not having them might lead to illegal use but the vast majority of the community will not risk it and just enjoy the game and still clear all the content :wink:

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    lmfao
    "Take the pros we have learned from other games and make an ORIGINAL game."
    That is an oxymoron.
  • Options
    I give this one a 4 out of 10 troll thread. Mainly cause I just haven't seen this many on AoC forums and there seems to be a few people going for the bait , but I do kind of miss troll posts. Weird,. .right?
  • Options
    @Tarnish

The thing is that you are not saying "some things I want in the game" you said "why I won't play this game" (in a game in prealpha), that's the first thing you should change.

Second, instead of going to the megathread about DPS meter (for example), you say that's a problem of the game and you are not accepting arguments deffending that. This is multiboxing and calling some dev decisions (dpsmeter, addons, etc) "problems" or "flaws", they got their reasons, go check those threads.

Third, instead of making a quick and summarized post, you make it long and boring to read, I suggest you to make it shorter next time.

P.D.: I will say again that stuff about changing "problem" to "I would like it to be this way" when talking about dev decisions and not real problems, it will make the rest of the people more accessible and "less angry" while reading your post.
  • Options
    Dukem96Dukem96 Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter
    I'm sure it's been said but its not even in A1 dude.

I like that there won't be addons, it will force people to play the game and just enjoy it instead of this toxic elitist bs. You even see it on basic games like classic WoW where its all about the numbers when they have a 1-2 button rotation and spend hours getting world buffs. Just look forward to enjoying a game instead of min maxxing. if you see someone standing in the fire then you know they're either new or oblivious. You will judge people based on different things.
  • Options

i dont see how that would happen. a meter just lets us see how we are doing. lets us improve and experience the content at a more educated level. so we can down more difficult content. this would not take away from any other content. it is all still relevant to the world and the same guilds and teams would be doing that content aswell. I did not just raid i also ranked in PVP.

I never argued that dps meters hurt the community. I'm not even necessarily against dps meters. However, I am against a higher percentage of instanced PvE content that you want so much. This will hurt the community, because a lot of people who are into that stuff are the type to have the attitude of "I will not PvP under any conditions". That's fine in games like WoW, but that's not what this game is about. This happens in so many games, that the examples are too many to list.

Once games start catering to this PvE content crowd, a vocal portion start demanding ways to avoid PvP entirely. Just one example of this happening recently is New World. This used to be an open world PvP game, but guess what? A bunch of people like you complained and so they changed it into a flagged PvP game where players can go through the game without ever having to experience the risk of PvP. Now the player-base is fractured as a result of trying to appease both the carebears and PvPers, and I guarantee you that this game is going to die in about 6 months after launch, and the entire experience will be watered-down.

AoC wants a return of MMOs to more meaningful, dynamic content. Steven himself said he wants more risk/reward and not the participation trophies that everyone gets in most other MMOs these days from fighting instanced, static PvE content. You'll have to PvE with the risk of unknown PvP variables thrown in the mix. And if you succeed, it'll feel much more memorable than if you were watching a DPS meter fighting a static boss for the thousandth time that you already know all the moves for. I think you're missing this point about AoC, it's not meant to be a safe space for you to sequestor yourself into PvE static content. It's meant to keep everyone interacting with each other in a busy open world with lots of risk. This is really not your type of game. FFIV, WoW, or hundreds of other games cater to players like yourself.
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited August 2020
    How about we argue for engaging and skillful challenges and fights instead of arguing for tank and spanks where achieving a bare minimum dps is make or break for victory where a dps meter is wanted?
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Looking back through the wiki and watching the videos this seems promising.
    22:24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJbyxRdB6dE&feature=youtu.be&t=22m24s

Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    InixiaInixia Member
    edited August 2020
    Looking back through the wiki and watching the videos this seems promising.

Thanks for linking this!
    I like the idea of variable boss moods and mechanics to keep things fresh.

I don't like as much the idea of variable boss difficulty unless its clearly flagged because I think killing a boss should mean something objectively recognizable. Otherwise its kind of like, 'so what, you killed the red dragon, hasn't everyone?'oh but this instance of it was especially hard'. Doesn't have the same impact you know?
    That said, I'm just putting that out there, I'm still missing a lot of details on how it will work that may change my mind, and I don't expect the development team to change that aspect at this point, and sometimes its good when they listen to their own instincts instead of the forums. I'm still excited for the game. But what can I say, my own personal stance is that I like raid bosses to have clear difficulties so that getting to see and beat them acts as a reward for objective raid progression.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    I never argued that dps meters hurt the community. I'm not even necessarily against dps meters. However, I am against a higher percentage of instanced PvE content that you want so much. This will hurt the community, because a lot of people who are into that stuff are the type to have the attitude of "I will not PvP under any conditions". That's fine in games like WoW, but that's not what this game is about. This happens in so many games, that the examples are too many to list.
    Ashes is heavily focused on objective-based PvP - which can really feel like PvE since it's not necessarily direct, person v person combat.
    Highly unlikely that there will be a higher percentage of instanced PvE content. Good chance that PvE players who actually play the game won't be asking for it, but...
    We have to play to know how it will actually feel.

• Options
    Kneczhevo wrote: »
    What a well written and passionate post. ☺️ Unfortunately, I see it more as a troll needing a therapy session.

I have no idea what topics you brought up, I don't chase names. I chase comments.

What I gathered (from this thread), you are a PVEer? And you're not happy about your responses to your suggestions? I'm not rereading your other thread.

We all want a great game, period. Some have great ideas, some don't. If your idea is not getting into people's heads, you are doing something wrong or it's a dumb idea. Accept it and move on. Try a new approach, don't cry to the forums.

You come to a PvP community, and expect carebear treatment? Lmao. Get real.

I'm a carebear with fangs and claws. Grow a pair.

Edit: Intrepid/Steven has already stated; they are not making the next WoW killer. So, your first sentence is is invalid.

i mean the dude didnt ask( or he didnt seem to want that , by me ) for carebear treatment he is just giving feedback on the PvE things and he hopes for the devs to focus more on the PvE too , thats ok as a feedback.
This discussion has been closed.