Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dealing with random player killing in an open-world PvP MMO.

Comments

• Options
    Tragnar wrote: »
    It is not only flavorful, but as well balancing addition. Many healers will play solo as well and the fact that they are healers is making them inherently bad for PvP until they get into a group.

Awarding the same corruption for every class/archetype is just not balanced in any shape or form. Corruption is there to punish unanswered PvP and it should punish more if there are compounding reasons.

And don't take it that I want to increase the average corruption awarded - just that there should be differences between roles

It is the same principle as people get more punishing sentences for harassment of children and helpless people.

I know it is pretty extreme comparison, but griefing in any game is the same action as harassment in real life. Just platform is different with different consequences

Killing a healer isn't griefing it's just part of the game. I just can't empathize with people when they relate dying in a video game to actual real life things happening because that's just silly to me. I am 90% certain you already get higher corruption from killing low levels. These are roleplaying elements not flavorful additions. How is killing a priest giving you higher corruption NOT roleplaying? I don't care about roleplaying. Put it on roleplaying servers, are you not happy with that suggestion?
  • Options
    It is not only flavorful, but as well balancing addition. Many healers will play solo as well and the fact that they are healers is making them inherently bad for PvP until they get into a group.

Awarding the same corruption for every class/archetype is just not balanced in any shape or form. Corruption is there to punish unanswered PvP and it should punish more if there are compounding reasons.

And don't take it that I want to increase the average corruption awarded - just that there should be differences between roles

It is the same principle as people get more punishing sentences for harassment of children and helpless people.

I know it is pretty extreme comparison, but griefing in any game is the same action as harassment in real life. Just platform is different with different consequences

Edit:
    Also solution for your problem is to have averaged out corruption when attacking a group

Dude, healers will have much more demand to be in a party than dps classes, so someone could argue that it will be harder for dps class to lvl up, so they should have more protection.

You should not worry about this stuff, if you had played game with similar to corruption system, you would know this.
  • Options
    The game is supposed to be balanced for groups, so healers and more squixy classes will have to learn to stay in the middle and melees to protect them if they want to survive. It's pretty standard stuff and adds basic strategy. Why would you make it unrewarding to kill the class you really need to focus down.
    If something healers will increase in value a lot because of this.
  • Options
    This is not about group content - especially in consensual PvP (where corruption doesnt exist) but about solo play where players like to heavily focus healing classes, because they mean free loot for not being able to fight back - in many games a free pvp currency
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • Options
    All I am saying is, if you are a healer playing solo...in an MMORPG... why are you even there...
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    This is not about group content - especially in consensual PvP (where corruption doesnt exist) but about solo play where players like to heavily focus healing classes, because they mean free loot for not being able to fight back - in many games a free pvp currency

Huh!?! If you are talking solo play, you only have one target.

See, this is why your point is not coming across.

And if you think your gunna kill a healer 1v1, good luck.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Bricktop wrote: »
    Interesting because you and he go through a lot of the same motions like accusing everybody of misunderstanding you and ignoring massive portions of someones reply to cherry pick 1 little tiny part to write a dissertation about.
    If you think that he and I are the same person, you have not been paying as much attention as you think.

Generally speaking, if I ignore a part of a post, it is either because I have already addressed the same point recently, or it is so misguided a point that was made that I don't feel it worth my time. Any point that is actually interesting or valid always gets my time.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    Interesting because you and he go through a lot of the same motions like accusing everybody of misunderstanding you and ignoring massive portions of someones reply to cherry pick 1 little tiny part to write a dissertation about.
    If you think that he and I are the same person, you have not been paying as much attention as you think.

Generally speaking, if I ignore a part of a post, it is either because I have already addressed the same point recently, or it is so misguided a point that was made that I don't feel it worth my time. Any point that is actually interesting or valid always gets my time.

No i definitely don't think you are the same person don't worry. Just 2 very similar people is all.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

No i definitely don't think you are the same person don't worry. Just 2 very similar people is all.

Not really, we actually have vastly different opinions on almost everything. Also, he doesn't put much thought in to his opinions - nor in to his posts.

He is my version of your @Mojottv.
  • Options
    He is my version of your @Mojottv.

Wtf does that supposed to mean?
  • Options
    Also to everyone who is complaining about "griefers" killing you while leveling. What do you think about where people just run up and kill the mobs you're fighting? I have noticed, that its always same shit with newer mmos i tried, if you're a fighter, and fighing a mob or a couple of them, and some mage runs up just out dps's you and steals ur exp, while you basically tank for him. Whats your take on that? Is that considered griefing as well?

I personally cant wait to have oportunity to PK mfers ass...
  • Options
    Mojottv wrote: »
    Also to everyone who is complaining about "griefers" killing you while leveling. What do you think about where people just run up and kill the mobs you're fighting? I have noticed, that its always same shit with newer mmos i tried, if you're a fighter, and fighing a mob or a couple of them, and some mage runs up just out dps's you and steals ur exp, while you basically tank for him. Whats your take on that? Is that considered griefing as well?

See, the logical thing to do in that situaiton is to group together.

MMO's are about working with other people, not against them.
  • Options

:D what if i don't want to group together? What if I'm ok with just killing solo? And that guy spoils my fun? What about if they guy also talks shit to me? How devs are going to protect me against that?
  • Options
    :D what if i don't want to group together? What if I'm ok with just killing solo? And that guy spoils my fun? What about if they guy also talks shit to me? How devs are going to protect me against that?
    The developers don't need to protect you against others talking shit.

You are expected to be an adult.
  • Options
    TragnarTragnar Member
    edited September 2020
    I am sorry but if you play a game where anyone can come and damage the mob you are fighting to steal portion of the xp - then I tell you that the dev that decided that has no grasp on how players play their game

― Plato
  • Options
    JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter

No. They may be A**holes, but if they don't murder me then I just move onto the next mob or find something else to do.
  • Options

The same thing can be applied to Truely Hard Open World PvE Content.
    If Alliance A and Alliance B can't kill the hard open world boss on their own as they keep distrupting each other, they can simply band together and either share the loot or kill it alternately.

If they can't do that, then none of them deserves the loot from an endgame open world boss.
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    The same thing can be applied to Truely Hard Open World PvE Content.
    If Alliance A and Alliance B can't kill the hard open world boss on their own as they keep distrupting each other, they can simply band together and either share the loot or kill it alternately.

If they can't do that, then none of them deserves the loot from an endgame open world boss.
    They absolutely could, but it is not the same thing.

The problem is, the two players grouping up get more rewards, and get them faster.

The two raids forming an alliance split the same reward. It isn't as if they have another of the same encounter to take on right after killing the first one.
  • Options
    @Warth
    Fortunately there is another thread for that discussion

fyi your alliance A can just have the discipline to not get flagged for pvp and get whole alliance B corrupted

― Plato
  • Options
    @Warth
    Fortunately there is another thread for that discussion

fyi your alliance A can just have the discipline to not get flagged for pvp and get whole alliance B corrupted

At the risk of getting wiped and losing the raid boss to alliance B.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options

my point exactly, if someone is PK'ing someone, they need to be an adult and deal with it.
    I am sorry but if you play a game where anyone can come and damage the mob you are fighting to steal portion of the xp - then I tell you that the dev that decided that has no grasp on how players play their game

You mean, all of the new mmos, has a thing where if i damage mob for 50% hp, and some random dude damages 50% we both get 100% exp, or I get 100% and the other dude doesnt get any?
    jubilum wrote: »

No. They may be A**holes, but if they don't murder me then I just move onto the next mob or find something else to do.

Same solution to Griefers who Pk people...
  • Options

my point exactly, if someone is PK'ing someone, they need to be an adult and deal with it.
    I don't think you got the point at all.

The initial pk is the person that needs to learn to be an adult, not the person dealing with it.

If you arrive at a location you want to grind at for a while and someone is there, you don't just start trying to take it over, you ask to group up with them so that you both grind faster.
  • Options
    @Mojottv
    I meant that if you pull mob, tank it deal 50% dmg and random player deals another 50% dmg then you split the xp by half.

In my opinion that is just plain stupid and I would run away from that game as fast as my hand on the mouse can carry me

― Plato
  • Options

The initial pk is the person that needs to learn to be an adult, not the person dealing with it.

If you arrive at a location you want to grind at for a while and someone is there, you don't just start trying to take it over, you ask to group up with them so that you both grind faster.

seems like you havent played any mmos, as that almost never happen. People just run through mobs without concern if theres someone else farming or not.
  • Options
    @Mojottv
    I meant that if you pull mob, tank it deal 50% dmg and random player deals another 50% dmg then you split the xp by half.

In my opinion that is just plain stupid and I would run away from that game as fast as my hand on the mouse can carry me

well but is that not how most mmos work?
  • Options
    I don't know any mmos that work like that - and those that do are plain stupid - both either get full xp or only the first one. Otherwise you just create unnecessary frustration with leveling as it is oftentimes frustrating enough because it is just a gatekeeping from the actual game that starts at max lvl

― Plato
  • Options
    I don't know any mmos that work like that - and those that do are plain stupid - both either get full xp or only the first one. Otherwise you just create unnecessary frustration with leveling as it is oftentimes frustrating enough because it is just a gatekeeping from the actual game that starts at max lvl

Hm, considering that raiding will work wery similar to damage persentage, you can assume that in aoc exp will be divided by damage done, maybe some impact on who tagged first.

And in any case, any game that has logic of game starts at max lvl, is a bad game
  • Options

seems like you havent played any mmos, as that almost never happen. People just run through mobs without concern if theres someone else farming or not.
    If they are passing by, sure.

I did specifically say "if you arrive at a location you want to grind for a while" though, so...

If you are farming a spot and someone comes in wanting to grind there as well, you don't need to wait for them to ask if you want to join.

This sort of thing does happen in MMO's, it just doesn't happen to people whose first thought is to attack the other player.
  • Options

I did specifically say "if you arrive at a location you want to grind for a while" though, so...

If you are farming a spot and someone comes in wanting to grind there as well, you don't need to wait for them to ask if you want to join.

This sort of thing does happen in MMO's, it just doesn't happen to people whose first thought is to attack the other player.

Well, this sort of thing used to be considered bad manners, annoying and something to possibly get pk'd for.

Modern mmos, doesnt allow pk, so carebears run arround with no worries at all, doing their thing as they want to disregarding completely if they get in a way or annoy other players.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Well, this sort of thing used to be considered bad manners, annoying and something to possibly get pk'd for.

No it didn't.

Every game has its share of socially backward people that think it is, but most people in MMO's are aware that working with others is more productive tha working against others.