Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dealing with random player killing in an open-world PvP MMO.

Comments

• Options
    The corruption system is more than enough to limit PvP.
  • Options
    Marcet wrote: »

Corruption system won't limit PvP, it'll limit low level ganking though for sure.
  • Options
    Bricktop wrote: »

Corruption system won't limit PvP, it'll limit low level ganking though for sure.

Yeah exactly, Im not refering to other PvP activities like caste siege etc...
    Plus not everybody is gonna be an asshole for the sake of it, plenty of people will fight the griefers or corrupted, there's even incentives to hunt them.
  • Options
    BricktopBricktop Member
    edited September 2020

Yeah exactly, Im not refering to other PvP activities like caste siege etc...
    Plus not everybody is gonna be an asshole for the sake of it, plenty of people will fight the griefers or corrupted, there's even incentives to hunt them.

Yea, thankfully most people understand that. I love PvP but I have better things to do with my time then gank lowbies. It'll hardly ever happen to people. It's only true carebears who are making a big stink about "griefers".
  • Options
    AxelBlazeAxelBlaze Member
    edited September 2020
    It's only true carebears who are making a big stink about "griefers".

This is the only thing that a lot of you seem to have to counter any of @Noaani 's points. Some of you guys have either been, repeating the same things over and over again, or repeatedly misunderstanding another. Is it really hard to discuss an opinion that isn't different from yours? If it is, then maybe you shouldn't be here.

Why hate people over something we don't even know much about yet? Just be nice to each other. At the end of the day, its just another video game.
  • Options
    Miracle wrote: »
    Dolyem wrote: »

If you log in to a game with open world pvp knowing that it has said pvp, its consensual. Nobody is forcing you to play the game, you are choosing to participate by playing it. If you want the feature to opt out, go play a game with that option. This game is not that game and wont ever be.

There's definitely some truth to this, but Intrepid would presumably want to avoid needlessly alienating players who aren't familiar with this genre, and perhaps ease them into it.

I mean, they are advertising it as such. They are adamant about an open world factionless pvp system that punishes people who gank, via corruption. It doesn't really need to ease people in because its relatively straight forward. You can potentially be ganked by anyone, but there are systems that act as a deterrent to griefing so it doesn't happen as often, and is punished effectively when it does.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    Mojottv wrote: »
    AxelBlaze wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »
    If a guy is a dick, you can kill him, its nice...

You didn't just say that? (in shock) Really did you just say that? OMG, what have we come to. I guess if it is alright to kill some one for who they voted for, why not for being a dick.
  • Options

This is the only thing that a lot of you seem to have to counter any of @Noaani 's points. Some of you guys have either been, repeating the same things over and over again, or repeatedly misunderstanding another. Is it really hard to discuss an opinion that isn't different from yours? If it is, then maybe you shouldn't be here.

Why hate people over something we don't even know much about yet? Just be nice to each other. At the end of the day, its just another video game.

Thanks for your input chuckles. I find it hilarious that YOU are telling people to be nice considering what you got banned on your other account for. Looks like our friend "Axel" is banned now too. Most likely for ban evasion.
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited September 2020

Thanks for your input chuckles. I find it hilarious that YOU are telling people to be nice considering what you got banned on your other account for. Looks like our friend "Axel" is banned now too. Most likely for ban evasion.

I was curious on who that was, his writing seemed awefully familiar. Interesting to read that my hunch turned out correctly. Its good that these Forums are properly moderated. That will prevent them from turning into a wow-like cesspool. Name calling can't have a place here.

Its quite interesting, that people keep shouting "you misunderstand my points" when people understand them completely. They merely disagree.

Also quite amusing that people conviniently ignore the points you make when they don't fit their agenda and don't have any answer for them.
  • Options
    BricktopBricktop Member
    edited September 2020
    Warth wrote: »

I was curious on who that was, his writing seemed awefully familiar. Interesting to read that my hunch turned out correctly. Its good that these Forums are properly moderated. That will prevent them from turning into a wow-like cesspool. Name calling can't have a place here.

Its quite interesting, that people keep shouting "you misunderstand my points" when people understand them completely. They merely disagree.

Also quite amusing that people conviniently ignore the points you make when they don't fit their agenda and don't have any answer for them.

The fact that a brand new account came to the forums and immediately accused me and @Tyrantor of misunderstanding everything was a major red flag lol.

The name chuckles really does suit him, he's constantly making me laugh.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Indeed.

To be fair though, there are a few other people I strongly suspect are using two or more accounts - which is a part of the reason that the number of posters on each side in a discussion is not a good point to ever make.

• Options
    Indeed.

To be fair though, there are a few other people I strongly suspect are using two or more accounts - which is a part of the reason that the number of posters on each side in a discussion is not a good point to ever make.

Oh hush. Don't reveal your hand when it's already strong.
  • Options
    Indeed.

If I were using two accounts, everyone would know it.
  • Options
    Indeed.

If I were using two accounts, everyone would know it.

Exactly.
  • Options
    Indeed.

The only people using multiple accounts so far have an agenda to change the game's design direction to make it more PvE focused. Why am I not surprised...
  • Options
    bigepeen wrote: »
    Indeed.

The only people using multiple accounts so far have an agenda to change the game's design direction to make it more PvE focused. Why am I not surprised...
    To be fair, that was that posters 3rd account that I am aware of.

There is a reason I barely interact with him.

I wouldn't start trying to tie multi-account usage to a particular side of a debate, to be honest. As I said, I am fairly sure there are a few others using multiple accounts - and attempting to tie such activity in to a particular side wouldn't go down so well if my assumptions were true.
  • Options
    bigepeen wrote: »
    Indeed.

To be fair, that was that posters 3rd account that I am aware of.

There is a reason I barely interact with him.

I wouldn't start trying to tie multi-account usage to a particular side of a debate, to be honest. As I said, I am fairly sure there are a few others using multiple accounts - and attempting to tie such activity in to a particular side wouldn't go down so well if my assumptions were true.

Interesting because you and he go through a lot of the same motions like accusing everybody of misunderstanding you and ignoring massive portions of someones reply to cherry pick 1 little tiny part to write a dissertation about.

Yes, everybody has nothing better to do with their free time and they are making tons of accounts to make you look like you have nobody agreeing with you. It couldn't POSSIBLY be that everybody thinks your ideas are trash.
  • Options
    What do you think about "red cross" equivalent kinda intended for healers and higher corruption values for them. Or even some religions to have increased corruption when eligible.

Seems pretty immersive to me to have some corruption for killing regular people, but to have some extra when killing doctors(healing specs)/priests(religion representatives)/children(low lvl players)
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • Options
    BricktopBricktop Member
    edited September 2020
    Tragnar wrote: »
    What do you think about "red cross" equivalent kinda intended for healers and higher corruption values for them. Or even some religions to have increased corruption when eligible.

Seems pretty immersive to me to have some corruption for killing regular people, but to have some extra when killing doctors(healing specs)/priests(religion representatives)/children(low lvl players)

Ehhhhh, I would say no to higher corruption on healers. They are usually targeted first in PvP, and if I get the jump on a groups healer before they flag back by healing someone who flagged then I shouldn't suffer even higher corruption. The corruption system is extremely punishing as is already IMO.
  • Options
    TragnarTragnar Member
    edited September 2020
    well there are supposed to be no oneshots so it is kinda unreasonable to think they cant react quickly enough to not do any PvP action that flags them (like healing themselves/others)

Edit:
    Isn't the kill time aimed at 30+s?

― Plato
  • Options
    BricktopBricktop Member
    edited September 2020
    well there are supposed to be no oneshots so it is kinda unreasonable to think they cant react quickly enough to not do any PvP action that flags them (like healing themselves/others)

Edit:
    Isn't the kill time aimed at 30+s?

20 people nuking them at once could easily lead to them being unable to do anything before they flag. I'm more talking about a group aspect, sorry I wasn't clear with that in my first post looking back.
  • Options
    well if 20 people can nuke anyone by jumping on them and nuking them then I say they deserve the corruption in open world

anything that is valuable like protecting caravans is inherintly pvp flagged so no worry there

― Plato
  • Options
    well if 20 people can nuke anyone by jumping on them and nuking them then I say they deserve the corruption in open world

anything that is valuable like protecting caravans is inherintly pvp flagged so no worry there

If my group of 20 comes across another group of 20 in a set of rooms in a dungeon and gets the jump on them, and I know for a fact that @Tragnar is one of their healers based on past fights with the group, I'm gonna call for everybody to smoke the healer real quick immediately. I don't feel as my group should be punished if their healer dies before it flags even more than we already are gonna be punished.
  • Options
    I think you have the wrong assumption here, because if two such groups get into each other than it is no brainer that any pvp action from anyone in the group flags the whole group for pvp. And it is literally unrealistic that you can get enough people in range for oneshotting the healer before anyone from his group can do any pvp flagging action against you.

― Plato
  • Options
    BricktopBricktop Member
    edited September 2020
    I think you have the wrong assumption here, because if two such groups get into each other than it is no brainer that any pvp action from anyone in the group flags the whole group for pvp. And it is literally unrealistic that you can get enough people in range for oneshotting the healer before anyone from his group can do any pvp flagging action against you.

It can absolutely happen for a group to get caught by surprise and have a healer nuked down. I'll tell you what, you can put your ideas on the RP servers. That way people aren't punished for PvPing in a PvP game any further than the already very punishing corruption system, and you can RP that you are protecting a priest or whatever.

I personally don't see the need for any RP elements like you have suggested.
  • Options
    being surprised and thus not being able to protect the healers from getting killed and being surprised so no group member can do any flagging action before enough of the group gets into position to oneshot the healer are two separate things

I'm under the assumption that you don't know how automated flagging system for group works.

Also you are not worried about corruption happening at all - not if it increased from an immersive system. Also your scenario works only for highly coordinated group that is focused on the same target. Which is unrealistic for 99% of organic world group PvP

― Plato
  • Options
    being surprised and thus not being able to protect the healers from getting killed and being surprised so no group member can do any flagging action before enough of the group gets into position to oneshot the healer are two separate things

I'm under the assumption that you don't know how automated flagging system for group works.

Also you are not worried about corruption happening at all - not if it increased from an immersive system. Also your scenario works only for highly coordinated group that is focused on the same target. Which is unrealistic for 99% of organic world group PvP

That's strange, I remember nuking plenty of healers down in Lineage 2 before they could react. You know, the game they took the system from?

Any groups that are running around that aren't highly coordinated are gonna get eaten alive by those that are. I promise you a much larger percentage than 1% will work on not being terrible.

• Options
    The way I see it you need to prepare for dealing with corruption either way. Shouldn't matter that you and all of your group get from healers slightly more.

That worry shouldn't prevent the devs from implementing flavorful additions to the game

― Plato
  • Options
    The way I see it you need to prepare for dealing with corruption either way. Shouldn't matter that you and all of your group get from healers slightly more.

That worry shouldn't prevent the devs from implementing flavorful additions to the game

Slap them on RP servers, that way both of us are happy. These are not my idea of "Flavorful additions"
  • Options
    TragnarTragnar Member
    edited September 2020
    It is not only flavorful, but as well balancing addition. Many healers will play solo as well and the fact that they are healers is making them inherently bad for PvP until they get into a group.

Awarding the same corruption for every class/archetype is just not balanced in any shape or form. Corruption is there to punish unanswered PvP and it should punish more if there are compounding reasons.

And don't take it that I want to increase the average corruption awarded - just that there should be differences between roles

It is the same principle as people get more punishing sentences for harassment of children and helpless people.

I know it is pretty extreme comparison, but griefing in any game is the same action as harassment in real life. Just platform is different with different consequences

Edit:
    Also solution for your problem is to have averaged out corruption when attacking a group

― Plato