Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Female Expression In AoC

Comments

• ZahieZahie Member
    Lithion wrote: »
    Zahie wrote: »
    I don't think it's simply about hate against sexy female characters.
    It's more about the sexual objectifying of female game characters and females in general.
    So far every girl that has commented has been in favor of making sexy characters though. So who is getting upset about sexualizing's women? Most of this topic isn't about putting women in mini bikinis or anything, just more feminine armor that is form fitting and sexy looking. Wouldn't you agree that most women would like the option to make their character sexy from time to time and feel sexy as they play? If you look back at page one the post by @Leiloni was a good example of sexy but still practical. I'm in agreement that bikini armor is a bit immersion breaking because how does it protect anything lol but I think a lot of this thread is just asking for armor that is more sexy than what we are getting currently. NOT full stripper mode lol

Why do you get so triggerd?
    I just answerd your question about why so many people hate sexy female characters in games.
    I'll repeat myself, I don't think it's about hating sexy female characters pers se, I think its more about disliking the sexual objectifying of femele characters.
    If you're not sure what sexual objectification really is, you can read about it here.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_objectification

You said you was legitly curious and didn't want to argue, but yet you still trying to argue.
    Not trying to argue, I'm legit curious on why so many people hate sexy female characters in games.

And what other girls in this thread has commented is irrelevant with your question and with my answer.
    I'm well aware what this threads is about.
    I did add my own opinion to the thread, it's on the first page.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited May 2022
    "I just answered your question about why so many ppl hate sexy female characters"

Hmmm

"I dint think it's about hating sexy female..."

"Triggered"

Hmmm.
  • LithionLithion Member
    I just answerd your question about why so many people hate sexy female characters in games.
    I'll repeat myself, I don't think it's about hating sexy female characters pers se, I think its more about disliking the sexual objectifying of femele characters.
    If you're not sure what sexual objectification really is, you can read about it here.

You said you was legitly curious and didn't want to argue, but yet you still trying to argue.
    Not trying to argue, I'm legit curious on why so many people hate sexy female characters in games.

And what other girls in this thread has commented is irrelevant with your question and with my answer.
    I'm not triggered at all, was just responding to your point with a counter point. I was originally asking why he seemed upset about sexy female characters and then you pointed out that its most likely more about women being sexually objectified. But i disagree that making more feminine armor is the same as objectifying women. Just because a game gives players the option to dress more sexy or in form fitting ways that express more feminine styles, doesn't mean they are trying to sexually objectify women.
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    When ever i play a female character i always try and go with a cute aesthetic over a sexy one which can be quite hard in some games it would definably be nice to have a variety of clothing thats for sure armor wise and things. by gender choice i choose swaps depending on what i feel like/race/class mix :P or if there an armor set i realy like for x gender :p
  • ZahieZahie Member
    edited May 2022

I'm not triggered at all, was just responding to your point with a counter point. I was originally asking why he seemed upset about sexy female characters and then you pointed out that its most likely more about women being sexually objectified. But i disagree that making more feminine armor is the same as objectifying women. Just because a game gives players the option to dress more sexy or in form fitting ways that express more feminine styles, doesn't mean they are trying to sexually objectify women.

Well if you're not triggerd then it seems you just missunderstod my point.

Why can you not just accept my answer without interpreting things I have not said anything about?
    I have never stated that feminine armor is the same as sexual objectifying, nor is form fitted armor. That must have come from your own thoughts?
    In fact, I also want feminine and form fitting armor for my female characters but not at an objectifying level, for example when the armor looks like it's just airbrushed on a naked body. But I really don't want to discuss this, it wasn't what I was referring to in my answer.

Since I'm guessing that you didn't understand my point I'll explain it. My point is that some people (myself included) might be concerned about the fact that many game companies are sexually objectifying female characters and they don't want AoC to be one of those games, so just don't assume it's only about hating sexy female characters.

Edit: Fixed a typo.
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't think it's simply about hate against sexy female characters.
    It's more about the sexual objectifying of female game characters and females in general.
    So far every girl that has commented has been in favor of making sexy characters though. So who is getting upset about sexualizing's women? Most of this topic isn't about putting women in mini bikinis or anything, just more feminine armor that is form fitting and sexy looking. Wouldn't you agree that most women would like the option to make their character sexy from time to time and feel sexy as they play? If you look back at page one the post by @Leiloni was a good example of sexy but still practical. I'm in agreement that bikini armor is a bit immersion breaking because how does it protect anything lol but I think a lot of this thread is just asking for armor that is more sexy than what we are getting currently. NOT full stripper mode lol

To clarify I (a woman) and many OTHER women here have gone 'I want CHOICE.' We want the option to look sexy AND the option to look 'bad ass'. All of the women have been pretty on message they want choice and they worry about the choice bit.

Some of the people who have not claimed on this thread they are women on the other hand seem to be getting super offended and upset when the 'not as sexy, but bad ass options' are the ones getting represented more. The difference in tone is just kinda 'strange' you know?

You've been a pretty good sport so I'm not saying you are one of said people. But some of the people here I won't name have been acting pretty sus. So in my opinion the person you are responding to seems to be (emotionally) reacting to that vibe from said others. I hope, therefore, you can ignore such a person. Just as I hope @Zahie can recognize you are definitely the wrong person to be arguing with and hopefully just ignore the rest. You've been very reasonable. It's starting to feel like the conversation is once again getting derailed though.

I therefore ask if we can all just get past this and post cool female armor?

633113db6919d79b37fddce0d6db1032.jpg
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
  • LithionLithion Member
    @Zahie It does indeed seem i misunderstood your intentions and i apologize. The thread up to that point had been pretty united on the point of bikini armor is not what we want but more form fitting and sexy armor that is midway between "a copy of the male armor just shrunken down" and "almost naked" lol so i was under the assumption that you were implying that even the more form fitting sexy looking armor shown in the thread so far could also be considered sexual objectification by some people, which i thought was a drastic leap from "sexy armor just isn't realistic" all the way to "This armor is disrespectful and hurtful to women" and that is why i reacted in that way lol.
    I now realize we seem to be pretty much on the same page and you were just trying to give alternate reasons some people may have a negative reaction to mentioning "sexy armor" is that in the industry there is a bad stigma of OVER sexualizing female characters design and armor. I also agree that a lot of people will think of those games when this topic comes up, but i trust that Ashes would never go to that level of sexualization, just as Steven has mentioned.

@JustVine Yea i'm a guy so i can't really speak for girls, but i've always played with lots of girls in many games, and one thing i always hear is that they want the choice to dress sexy when the feel like it. Character cosmetics and character creation is one of my favorite parts of a game and i always make female characters and me and my girl and guy friends do fashion shows and talk about armor designs alot. The main take away i have gotten over the years is that players love CHOICE. I also have been noticing some people seem to be strongly against this topic and that's why I've been trying to ask them their reasoning because i don't really understand why so many people dislike bad ass female armor that looks sexy and combat effective. I also agree there has been too much back and forth and we should get back to just talking about awesome designs!

BTW Erza is amazing and she has so many good armor sets! I might go find some dope armor to post here also :)
  • NeliryaNelirya Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Further to my post earlier and following suit to others who have posted great examples, I would also like to add some examples of armour styles I like from other games. The below styles are from Aion and Lineage 2. I would love to see similar styles available to be achieved in Ashes of Creation.

Aion:
    nu9bipe6i5of.jpg - xtfo1tuey7cd.jpg

5iitkc4ilbug.jpg - p06t5uboghqt.jpg

50ikd6r66eja.jpg

Lineage 2:
    mz43mtnrlg9n.jpg

giphy.gif
  • ZahieZahie Member
    edited May 2022
    @Lithion Apology accepted :) I also apoligize, I just did a back read and I do understand that it could be easily missunderstod. I'm not always super good to formulate what I mean, especially not in english.
    Yes from what i can see we are on the same page. Also, you pointed out exactly what I meant, if only I could have thought of saying it like that from the start. Oh well :)

Back to the threads topic. Here's some armor aestethics ideas that I, as a female, would love to se on my characters. I'm personally a fan of light and medium armor and really don't like it looking bulky and inflexible.
    wnu8wxce93gz.jpg
    zynfuhgoxbr2.jpg
    xwpdzcrgqyjl.jpg
    mnbkskim2zbi.jpg
    me12uwfngpzg.jpg
    hi3r1obje3n6.jpg
    wdjo29gb5g8l.jpg
    upmrvjvbzhih.jpg
    5bw4piv6fyad.jpg
    q0wsa5fy9y6o.jpg
    vl3irbx5um2a.jpg
    ort0b4ce1qri.jpg
    rb91uelcbm0a.jpg
    ckqd3t077nao.jpg
    yq1ol5y4fjd8.jpg
    omgpdtgo7syr.jpg
    50xsqonr9qyc.jpg
    8xrxik00dii0.jpg
    eedgo64ivdno.jpg
    dmr712bqwxrz.jpg
    nq8srmo40hww.jpg
    p3tb5k8qjnhz.jpg
    zc28scyyifoo.jpg
    6lb84p002ewf.jpg
    013xurb1xh6z.jpg
    cj5qv9cd5zqq.jpg
    yqv08z6hz48c.jpg
    3cbg4bicdxj8.png
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    unknown.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • LithionLithion Member
    Ok soo i spent a day searching for female armor designs i like and i went a bit overboard lol. I tried to find ones that weren't too skimpy or "bikini armor" but that were also easily distinguishable as "Female" armor. Keep in mind a lot of them have heels which i don't really think is necessary to add but its just the main designs i like besides the heels. Also one or two have like a skimpy bikini shorts but i was thinking those ones just add leather pants and the rest of the design is awesome. I separated the pictures into sections because there's just a ton of pictures lol.
    WARNING: A TON OF PICTURES

Heavy Sets
    pk8gkar9p8ai.jpg
    knzgspf038e9.jpg
    cedvqz36vtw6.jpg
    l665jn8d966i.jpg
    54oufo582xz9.jpg
    pxzz2xtlc6bn.jpg
    kvm66cblmxe1.jpg
    3m1ghlmk3iyf.jpg
    0clfbx8h6ey9.jpg
    9j8y7l0bsob8.jpg
    zs05q336eci6.jpg
    y0lyu4rj4urp.jpg
    6dgegekwy3ms.jpg
    0b4lv8znre7u.jpg
    bnmg0b8j4h3z.jpg
    o51zdbmqz6np.jpg
    9k4i2uhgheaa.jpg
    1hplx0ckpq8a.jpg
    ew96m6nsmbkb.jpg
    71ujxt2sd4tk.jpg
    aiy632brh4yb.jpg
    7itujyl5c8l6.jpeg
    irq3vzjsbbrs.jpg
    bgg4x5udzp4p.jpg
    neg5kxzgz79r.jpg
    8y4cvpe1jwjd.jpg
    4exy1fx27p3g.jpg
    z33fvh66d8u4.jpg
    mk3nkhkzpiyz.jpg
    ga3vbyrj8drv.jpg
    3qjqhwd71jzm.jpeg
    20ozur2r4s6g.jpg
    uveykfpgkwty.jpeg
    0drudlecooob.jpeg
    xaggppo7i53o.jpeg
    p6msxn6fbzce.jpg
    fuz4yqoxq7np.jpg
    n44l6cvkvj38.jpeg
    h70u9oq7ukoe.jpeg
    qpexp3irqqhs.jpg
    rprdm5k555as.jpeg
    3qx89ojxmjhh.jpg
    1kkuj1w3gqla.jpg
    hjer541vnz8r.jpg
    n28n570nn4c6.jpg
    gpgdkofc5xr7.jpg
    el9b9zgjxgd2.jpeg
    ycvistkd6id5.jpg
    u85j3sniun4l.jpg
    xzznusvvk8sb.jpg
    ag8nx680gkt6.png
    ik8shpia1p6l.jpg

Medium Sets
    ag7u2j9as48p.jpg
    u512x1snvmu2.jpg
    b1vkoupbp8tf.jpg
    zwei84jtfadz.jpg
    kbh34rzikvib.jpg
    ue4g06ubankn.jpg
    udj7fsxpfuug.jpg
    3q4swusep623.jpg
    sc4rl4vkijap.jpg
    rgzc8w19bomn.jpg
    h5hrcxtfltud.jpg
    0ytceofl27wd.jpg
    s7odkcf58uxd.jpg
    j0k0pjk7wc2e.jpg
    pr35v9unccnh.jpg
    unpaidz35b3c.jpg
    qeoxszbwtnkb.jpg
    li7ii16nghom.jpg
    cbrq06f9z33d.jpg
    jlcxiin0zpla.jpg
    c3cuhbrh5fnx.jpg
    thywo6ipjflp.jpg
    wyy6dc2d60cf.jpg
    1tji1e7bjsfz.jpg
    a0p6y33j10th.jpg
    0vvg25ty6xbg.jpg
    cu610r4nyyq0.jpg
    2i7uqnlyucrq.jpg
    8imhdo2t4ssw.jpg
    vlno8ty401mp.jpg
    mntp3rntfx0b.jpg
    7ocs6lvw25sx.jpg
    ujzp7occzcst.jpg
    wxuwpjoyask6.jpg
    deob0nh6a5jz.jpeg
    32ozobbto475.jpg
    b8h4kdhx5zo5.jpg
    bq3z0yfoicdq.jpg
    u8vhkfw1st38.jpeg
    qcluqt4mrgi6.jpeg
    ex3sktxovcby.jpeg
    n3s42cn8yw38.jpg
    pbhh4z7t00rw.jpeg
    1hs8bybc28y5.jpg
    r1xkcz6w1y93.jpg
    gqd09gk0mgv0.jpeg
    niq90azemvz6.jpg
    zo8kiik6j3wf.jpg
    5zdrtnale7xz.png

Light Sets
    vtrxc202k74p.jpg
    lrp0t2xgo0ce.jpg
    qz7gwzsgxwb9.jpg
    a63rf4fgspvx.jpg
    q8pybef8263g.jpg
    tk5wzttxdbmx.jpg
    ie1g8hrni3uf.jpg
    cpya9askzuk3.jpg
    7kdd7xuwj4hs.jpg
    3x833tlbm7pb.jpg
    7hw6psifm7ae.jpg
    c3exxqfy1cwt.jpg
    gustrlvaiiqd.jpg
    v65uu1uiiuh2.jpg
    x11fewt2wn3b.jpg
    yfd85ttqig32.jpg
    n0p692d4qwoc.jpg
    oudtu3lwsckh.jpg
    if3fxdzlfc3m.jpg
    ud58d8xjh13i.jpg
    rr8ps5q4pxaa.jpg
    w24itbq6u90d.jpg
    pe1lu6d8turl.jpg
    ugleoh1e4uy1.jpg
    qwg71zfbees9.jpg
    6ql4tlwbnnbv.jpg
    ed5bz2m8x8f5.jpg
    q55ox7iz0c9z.jpg
    y8nq1btagxhe.jpg
    dlemj59frv04.jpg
    vfm1tw0319a8.jpg
    tiv84jnvnk0v.jpg
    y5avcwcahinp.jpg
    6fws6ekv2qid.jpeg
    w7cnyw9i2zff.jpg
    0cltm16cxnu1.jpg
    ahnkfvd0vdqr.jpg
    nls1hy1pufor.jpeg
    5hxrdnnsgd2t.jpg
    khcp8os4az2m.jpg
    bef1fv997w1u.jpg
    esr2v3rzypgo.jpg
    2mw9wb4hqu0w.jpeg
    qxfat5idw6g3.png

Casual/Merchant/Artisan Sets
    aw6289mb78cr.jpg
    uwlvn2phddbj.jpeg
    ncvyo3md1yw4.jpg
    w59xux9rc5ig.jpg
    n16d5d3ucn6r.jpeg
  • AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Well I guess since I'm a female gamer I will throw my opinion in here!

I honestly just like having a lot of options when it comes to my character. To me, sexualization (and thus the chainmail bikini) is not an issue as long as it's equal across genders. It does become troublesome when 'sexual' or provocative armor is made solely for female characters, as (IMO) it caters to an unequal fantasy that is largely perpetuated by gamers having been predominantly male for many years - which is not wrong but I think if we want to cater to a female audience, then there needs to be some variety. I guess what I am trying to get at is making the opportunity for slutty armor be available across the board - for both male and female characters.

In a similar vain I would love to be able to dress my male character in more feminine or soft attire instead of what I would consider to be very masculine warrioresque head to toe plate (I loooooove a good plate set though and intend to have my main be a tank, so it's very much welcome!). That doesn't have to be dresses but having pretty robes, slick leather gear and whatnot could be great and would fit in very well with the Empyrian, Py'rai and Kaelar races!

As long as it has a purpose in the world, fits within the narrative and there's good variety in armor options, I'm happy!
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think part of the issue people have with bikini armor is that it shouldn't be able to function as armor because there's not enough of it to protect the revealed skin and body parts.
    I mean - men can wear bikini armor, too. Especially in a Barbarian Fantasy setting.

Barbarian fantasy is typically a low magic setting, though.
    In a high magic setting, people can get their armor ratings increased via jewelry and a wide variety of Enchantments, rather than from the physical dynamics of their armor.
    Some Polynesian, Native American and African cultures would be increasing armor ratings via tattoos and ritual scarrification.

Due to the tattoos and scarrification available in the UE5 Character Creator, I will certainly have Vek and Nikua who wish to display their tattoos and scarrification. Not only will I want to transmog chest pieces to be invisible, I will also want to wear armor and costumes that reveal my tattoos and scarrification.
    The devs have said that there will be a variety of armor sets that reveal tattoos.

So.... I definitely now want to see some armor sets and costumes that are revealing.
    Especially ones designed to show off tattoos and scarrification.
    Revealing is not necesarily the same thing as "sexy".
    Dygz wrote: »
    I think part of the issue people have with bikini armor is that it shouldn't be able to function as armor because there's not enough of it to protect the revealed skin and body parts.
    I mean - men can wear bikini armor, too. Especially in a Barbarian Fantasy setting.

Barbarian fantasy is typically a low magic setting, though.
    In a high magic setting, people can get their armor ratings increased via jewelry and a wide variety of Enchantments, rather than from the physical dynamics of their armor.
    Some Polynesian, Native American and African cultures would be increasing armor ratings via tattoos and ritual scarrification.

Due to the tattoos and scarrification available in the UE5 Character Creator, I will certainly have Vek and Nikua who wish to display their tattoos and scarrification. Not only will I want to transmog chest pieces to be invisible, I will also want to wear armor and costumes that reveal my tattoos and scarrification.
    The devs have said that there will be a variety of armor sets that reveal tattoos.

So.... I definitely now want to see some armor sets and costumes that are revealing.
    Especially ones designed to show off tattoos and scarrification.
    Revealing is not necesarily the same thing as "sexy".

I completely agree! It'll be interesting to see what possibilities players will have to show off their scars and tattoos
  • NeorineNeorine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Assless chaps or im out
    4ticemcuvf1g.png
  • As a Female MMO gamer I would like to suggest giving more effeminate options in armor styles. My concern is that I would like to have the option for dressing effeminately. The reason I am suggesting to make it optional is so people can dress as feminine or masculine or neutral as the player choses. This aids players self expression. Different armor styles as well as jewelry and makeup would be very helpful in this goal. I understand that you would like to keep things on the more practical side but this could be stifling to the communities creativity. Self expression and fashion is very important to me as a player I would like as many options as possible in creating my character.
    Having the option is the most important thing. Even if you're trying to stay true to "Realism", even in medieval times women had outfits that had sex appeal but wasn't "sexy" it doesn't have to be full of skin but being able to show off your char is important. If your char has tattoos and you cant even show them off what's the point?

• CaerylCaeryl Member
    If you put those female armor designs on a male character model and it would look silly, then it shouldn’t be on a female model either. All these boob windows and huge armorless gaps for “sexy leg flash” are so damn annoying

I don’t want any significant difference in design between male and female versions. They should be adjusted to fit physical forms, but obviously there shouldn’t be coverage lost from the male > female designs. Outfits that display more skin should be equitable between both sexes, like those shaman costumes. Don’t give me a damn dress for my female characters while the males get a suit when using the same outfit.
  • edited May 2022
    Kreed wrote: »
    As long as they are not as conservative as ESO's female wardrobes. Dont get me wrong ESO had some snappy sharp looking out fits but they still were lacking in Sex appeal.

The ones they did create to have sex appeal were terrible designs.

OMG! Don't get me started on the Bather's Towel costume situation... Or the overly exposed cleavage on the Nocturnal Frock costume... Costumes/armor in general is something Zenimax did pretty poorly of. The silhouettes were simply not flattering, all robes/dresses has a straight cone shape.

I would like to see some sex appeal and beautiful silhouettes for both male and female character. But let's not go the eastern mmo direction where everything is exposed or that you can fight some end level boss in a skimpy bikini..
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • edited May 2022
    Leiloni wrote: »
    Vaknar wrote: »
    It's certainly interesting seeing this thread, and others like it come up recently. I think we still have yet to see a large majority of the different gear appearances in the game (whether in-game achievable or cosmetic).

With that said, I think there may be gear sets in the future that please some who are concerned about this! Steven has said he doesn't like the idea of 'bikini armor' but hasn't ruled out form-fitting gear appearances, or more revealing ones ^_^

If you have thoughts on this and you're just happening to see this thread, please feel free to drop your thoughts in a comment!

There's definitely a huge middle ground between Bikini armor and Brienne of Tarth. You can have fashionable armor that covers most or all of a character. I would suggest taking a look at Aion's Chain armor sets for Cleric/Chanter over the years. They've been incredibly creative in making armor that looks like armor but still looks attractive.

Some quick pics I found while searching (note: These look better in game but I can't find real screenshots right now!):

74d9108c9b67666c0dbaf1d4da27ae78--filly-d-design.jpg

b8dee655d6c7d0297c5fdedceb8bf911.jpg
    The thighs are a bit ugly on this second one but the rest of the set is nice.

ch_darkr104_body-70-63-84_2.jpg

anuhart_chanter_set_female_f.jpg

ch_darkc105_body-15-2-2_2.jpg

Please god, no 6 inch heels!! But if you reeeally want 6 inch heels on your character, i will advocate for a stam penalty when running! LOL
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
    Ok listen here. You are a very small minority that put a derogative twist on the whole thing, a small minority like in actual life.

What other women have said DOES MATTER because it is proof that
    Caeryl wrote: »
    If you put those female armor designs on a male character model and it would look silly, then it shouldn’t be on a female model either. All these boob windows and huge armorless gaps for “sexy leg flash” are so damn annoying

I don’t want any significant difference in design between male and female versions. They should be adjusted to fit physical forms, but obviously there shouldn’t be coverage lost from the male > female designs. Outfits that display more skin should be equitable between both sexes, like those shaman costumes. Don’t give me a damn dress for my female characters while the males get a suit when using the same outfit.

Take a chill pill
    Amist wrote: »

I honestly just like having a lot of options when it comes to my character. To me, sexualization (and thus the chainmail bikini) is not an issue as long as it's equal across genders. It does become troublesome when 'sexual' or provocative armor is made solely for female characters, as (IMO) it caters to an unequal fantasy that is largely perpetuated by gamers having been predominantly male for many years - which is not wrong but I think if we want to cater to a female audience, then there needs to be some variety. I guess what I am trying to get at is making the opportunity for slutty armor be available across the board - for both male and female characters.

In a similar vain I would love to be able to dress my male character in more feminine or soft attire instead of what I would consider to be very masculine warrioresque head to toe plate (I loooooove a good plate set though and intend to have my main be a tank, so it's very much welcome!). That doesn't have to be dresses but having pretty robes, slick leather gear and whatnot could be great and would fit in very well with the Empyrian, Py'rai and Kaelar races!

As long as it has a purpose in the world, fits within the narrative and there's good variety in armor options, I'm happy!

Yeah that's normally my stance on things. Almost word for word. There are definitely games that are pretty good at achieving that kind of aesthetic I still play.

There are also definitely games that fail at this 'equalized' balance, I think due to a lack of understanding of degrees of intensity of sexualization for male physique. After all the industry is still male dominated. Most of these design decisions are made by mostly straight men. And so they only understand 'what would be attractive' as informed by 'society' rather than what queer men or straight women might find attractively sexualizing. Where as for the female form what degrees of attractive is far more understood by their preferences and experiences throughout the entire team and there is therefore a lot more gradation in female cosmetics.

Part of my cosmetic discontent over the years (and the reason why I am not taking my usual stance you outlined in your post for AoC specificially) though is that many games suck at giving us a decent range of options for the cool/badass side AND the 'softer' side due to a rigidity in design guidelines that sort of wind up with a lazy projection of what qualifies for either design set, and they invariably skew towards 'softer' designs because those sell more or are at least less confusing to the artist making them. It's not always clear to me which given some of the better games for cosmetics are Korean and Japanese.

Sexy, badass, but not particularly sexualizing example below. I don't think it's hard to mix the two general style approaches. I don't think it's hard to keep a range of cosmetics serving different style tastes. But with as saturated as the market is with games with a fairly binary approach to female cosmetics styles and usually with less cosmetics in the 'bad ass' and 'nonsexualized' direction, you'd certainly think it was. I'm just tired of games with a false sense of choice.

So I really hope IS serves both sides of the market in earnest. It's the 'in earnest part' I think that I have gradually been fed up with over the years since 'after launch' behavior quickly causes one side of the market and usually the same side of that market to dry up in terms of new products down the line. Here's to hoping AoC manages to excel where others have fallen repeatedly.
    gMk6x1c.png
    edited May 2022
    JustVine wrote: »

Yeah that's normally my stance on things. Almost word for word. There are definitely games that are pretty good at achieving that kind of aesthetic I still play.

There are also definitely games that fail at this 'equalized' balance, I think due to a lack of understanding of degrees of intensity of sexualization for male physique. After all the industry is still male dominated. Most of these design decisions are made by mostly straight men. And so they only understand 'what would be attractive' as informed by 'society' rather than what queer men or straight women might find attractively sexualizing. Where as for the female form what degrees of attractive is far more understood by their preferences and experiences throughout the entire team and there is therefore a lot more gradation in female cosmetics.

Part of my cosmetic discontent over the years (and the reason why I am not taking my usual stance you outlined in your post for AoC specificially) though is that many games suck at giving us a decent range of options for the cool/badass side AND the 'softer' side due to a rigidity in design guidelines that sort of wind up with a lazy projection of what qualifies for either design set, and they invariably skew towards 'softer' designs because those sell more or are at least less confusing to the artist making them. It's not always clear to me which given some of the better games for cosmetics are Korean and Japanese.

Sexy, badass, but not particularly sexualizing example below. I don't think it's hard to mix the two general style approaches. I don't think it's hard to keep a range of cosmetics serving different style tastes. But with as saturated as the market is with games with a fairly binary approach to female cosmetics styles and usually with less cosmetics in the 'bad ass' and 'nonsexualized' direction, you'd certainly think it was. I'm just tired of games with a false sense of choice.

So I really hope IS serves both sides of the market in earnest. It's the 'in earnest part' I think that I have gradually been fed up with over the years since 'after launch' behavior quickly causes one side of the market and usually the same side of that market to dry up in terms of new products down the line. Here's to hoping AoC manages to excel where others have fallen repeatedly.
    gMk6x1c.png

I see the usual political screenplay in your post.
    How come you havent started a topic titled "We need revealing designs for males?"

Who ever told you that you couldnt ask for what you want, instead of bringing in a political spin on "female players want feminine designs (and horny dudes agree)" ?
    Why dont you start that topic?

Seriously, just ask for what you want instead of talking about male dominated this and male dominated that. You just show your true colours.
    edited May 2022
    Lol ok George. If you felt that post was political that says a lot more about you than me mate.
  • LithionLithion Member
    If you put those female armor designs on a male character model and it would look silly, then it shouldn’t be on a female model either.
    The armor is gender specific though so male and female armor have different designs, so the female armor wont be going on the males. Also too your point wouldn't the opposite be true also? Armor they design for the men look goofy on women in my opinion. Why should every female character have to dress like the men?
    All these boob windows and huge armorless gaps for “sexy leg flash” are so damn annoying
    I disagree, i think it is fashionable and looks cool to me.
    I don’t want any significant difference in design between male and female versions. They should be adjusted to fit physical forms,
    May i ask why you want the armor to look the same for male and female? Throughout history most cultures have different fashion between males and females, Would you propose it looks like a mix between masculine and feminine like a genderless design that you cant tell if its male and female, or something different?
    but obviously there shouldn’t be coverage lost from the male > female designs. Outfits that display more skin should be equitable between both sexes, like those shaman costumes.
    On this i agree! if the female armor is more revealing so should the male armor, the design should feel like its based on the same concept but twisted to each gender. like the same guard uniform but one for male and one for female, the blue cloth design cosmetic is a good example of this here:
    d3fsba0i5c2g.png
    Don’t give me a damn dress for my female characters while the males get a suit when using the same outfit.
    What about all the people who want to wear a dress? shouldn't a girl be able to wear dresses or sexy armor if they want? No one in this thread is advocating for all female armor to be dresses and bikini armor. Most of us would just like more feminine armor options once in a while, i also love some more badass thick full cover plate mail too, but i also want more girly looking armor to be able to wear. Were just asking for more choices than just manly looking armor most of the time. Would you agree that having more styles is better, or would you still prefer no dresses or female looking armor?

p.s. i do hope we get a dope suit for girls at some point to like a sleek pantsuit or tux
  • CaerylCaeryl Member
    edited May 2022
    If you put those female armor designs on a male character model and it would look silly, then it shouldn’t be on a female model either.
    The armor is gender specific though so male and female armor have different designs, so the female armor wont be going on the males. Also too your point wouldn't the opposite be true also? Armor they design for the men look goofy on women in my opinion. Why should every female character have to dress like the men?

??? Male armor doesn’t look goofy when you equip it on female characters. Regular armor literally what women wear during reenactments because it’s there for protection. So if your idea of silly is “doesn’t look like it came from tera” then I don’t know what to tell you.
    Don’t give me a damn dress for my female characters while the males get a suit when using the same outfit.
    What about all the people who want to wear a dress? shouldn't a girl be able to wear dresses or sexy armor if they want? No one in this thread is advocating for all female armor to be dresses and bikini armor. Most of us would just like more feminine armor options once in a while, i also love some more badass thick full cover plate mail too, but i also want more girly looking armor to be able to wear. Were just asking for more choices than just manly looking armor most of the time. Would you agree that having more styles is better, or would you still prefer no dresses or female looking armor?

p.s. i do hope we get a dope suit for girls at some point to like a sleek pantsuit or tux

If I buy a suit costume I want it to stay a suit on any character I apply it to. Likewise if I buy a dress, I want it to stay a dress on any character I apply it to. Just offer both in a pack.

Also, most “female armors” posted here have been laughably bad. Drooping necklines to expose the upper torso to attacks. Bare midriffs to expose 80% of vital organs to attacks. Bare thighs and mini skirts that don’t make any sense at all. Heels! Those death traps.

I don’t mind if city fashion is more varied, but no, I absolutely do not want to see ‘armor’ that was clearly designed to turn the character into a sexy prop rather than being designed to offer protection. Unless it is thematically accurate and there’s parity between the male and female versions (aka the gladiator costume), I don’t want to be seeing Barbie doll ‘warriors’ walking around in heels with their chests or butt falling out.

If that’s what you’re after, just go play a Korean MMOs which already has that junk in spades
    edited May 2022
    JustVine wrote: »

gMk6x1c.png

I see the usual political screenplay in your post.
    How come you havent started a topic titled "We need revealing designs for males?"

Who ever told you that you couldnt ask for what you want, instead of bringing in a political spin on "female players want feminine designs (and horny dudes agree)" ?
    Why dont you start that topic?

Seriously, just ask for what you want instead of talking about male dominated this and male dominated that. You just show your true colours.

It does seem pretty relevant to the topic (IMO) to talk about why certain armor types/appearances have been in previous games. I think what JustVine is getting at, is simply agreeing that having variety in armor styles - both more traditionally feminine and masculine - would be nice.

It is true that the gaming community has been predominantly male for a good while and although that is changing, it is something to take into consideration. I don't think either of us argued that something being male dominated or heteronormative is bad. It's just a case of where the demographic lies and what we're catering to.

While I don't think JustVine's or my comment were political per say, at least not very it's interesting to see how certain target groups and their likes/dislikes reflect on elements of game design such as armor choices. There's no "showing our true colors", but merely putting a different spin on the conversation in regards to a shift in gaming culture and its demographic. Nobody is saying we can't ask for things - which I would argue we are doing here - but asking comes with the territory that the predominant opinion often gets pushed through when devs take their community's wants into consideration and here demographic plays a big part.
  • LithionLithion Member
    Also, most “female armors” posted here have been laughably bad. Drooping necklines to expose the upper torso to attacks. Bare midriffs to expose 80% of vital organs to attacks. Bare thighs and mini skirts that don’t make any sense at all. Heels! Those death traps.
    By that logic there should be no cloth armor either because it clearly cant stop a sword? And everyone should be in full plate right? The whole point is that this isn't the real world, its a fantasy video game lol. There is magic and other protections more than we have here on earth. On earth you need physical material of superior strength to stop incoming damage, yet in Fantasy worlds there is magic and other properties at work. That is why you can have a ring or necklace that boosts your defense by a huge amount. We also have thin cloth that people wear with magical properties that make it able to stop swords and arrows and hammers and anything else. So why does it make a difference that some skin is showing, if magic is the key defining factor?

For example, a level 1 suit of full plate armor head to toe wont do anything vs a max level player, yet max level light cloth armor will be tremendously effective against the same opponent. you cant use real world rules in a magic fantasy world where everything works completely different. If you do not like armor that shows skin then don't wear that armor, they shouldn't ban clothing based on a few people not liking it. Its the same in real life, girls can wear revealing outfits all they want, should they be banned from wearing anything revealing also? I'm just saying why should we ban or limit costumes because a few people don't like it? All the costumes don't have to be battle armor anyway, and I'm not advocating for bikini armor. All we want is some more Feminine looking armor options in addition to the stuff we are getting now.

P.S. I want to be able to show off my cool tattoos so I definitely would like to show some skin, I'm sure there are plenty of beefy guy characters that would also love to show off some sick scars and tattoos, or else what's the point of the tattoo system lol.
  • ValorothValoroth Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Neorine wrote: »
    Assless chaps or im out

Aeyo! haha

On a serious note, let the girls wear their girly stuff! Not sure why western games always get this wrong and misrepresent what females want from a fantasy game. Also a good alternative for "skimpy" is bathing suits or other stat less RP clothes that can be worn for swimming etc.
    Aetherius_2.png
    Grand Master
  • edited May 2022
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • edited May 2022
    By that logic there should be no cloth armor either because it clearly cant stop a sword? And everyone should be in full plate right? The whole point is that this isn't the real world, its a fantasy video game lol. There is magic and other protections more than we have here on earth. On earth you need physical material of superior strength to stop incoming damage, yet in Fantasy worlds there is magic and other properties at work. That is why you can have a ring or necklace that boosts your defense by a huge amount. We also have thin cloth that people wear with magical properties that make it able to stop swords and arrows and hammers and anything else. So why does it make a difference that some skin is showing, if magic is the key defining factor?

For example, a level 1 suit of full plate armor head to toe wont do anything vs a max level player, yet max level light cloth armor will be tremendously effective against the same opponent. you cant use real world rules in a magic fantasy world where everything works completely different. If you do not like armor that shows skin then don't wear that armor, they shouldn't ban clothing based on a few people not liking it. Its the same in real life, girls can wear revealing outfits all they want, should they be banned from wearing anything revealing also? I'm just saying why should we ban or limit costumes because a few people don't like it? All the costumes don't have to be battle armor anyway, and I'm not advocating for bikini armor. All we want is some more Feminine looking armor options in addition to the stuff we are getting now.

P.S. I want to be able to show off my cool tattoos so I definitely would like to show some skin, I'm sure there are plenty of beefy guy characters that would also love to show off some sick scars and tattoos, or else what's the point of the tattoo system lol.

There is a big difference between showing some skin (off the shoulder, a little cleavage or a little side slit) vs some pictures posted on here that is very oversexualized and honestly inappropriate. Outfits that were only made to sexualize female characters. It's not even sexy, it's actually tacky AND OUTDATED. And a character wearing 6 inch heels running around in a forest, on mud, or on ice is not fitting, even in a fantasy game.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif