Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

We need PVE servers here's why

1111213141517»

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »
    NiKr wrote: »
    Azherae wrote: »
    Because the entire point is to hurt the casuals. That IS the gameplay.
    Yeah, I guess so. To me this kind of thinking is as alien as Noaani's defense of hardcore pve :D I guess I grew up in such a "proper pvp" bubble, that both extremes are too far from me. Or at least that's how I look back on my history in L2. There's probably some nostalgia bias too.
    Back in the day (and I would argue that this also includes any game that is mostly played for nostalgic value), the idea of having a good time by literally ruining the fun others are having wasn't really a thing.

Now it is.

In Archeage, people used to spend literal hours (as in, 12 or more per day) just sitting in their wagon on a bridge. This would block the bridge for all others, essentially cutting off trade. These people weren't doing anything, but were present the entire time (Trion could despawn them if they weren't present). Their idea of fun - for half the day or more, 7 days a week, for literal months - was to just ruin other peoples enjoyment.

Trion bought the issue to XL for them to do something about, but XL refused to believe people would be that ridiculous, and said Trion must be exaggerating. I was asked by some people I knew from Trion to make as big a fuss about it on the forums as I could - and was told that the thread I do it in basically wouldn't be closed (barring real life threats).

Not surprisingly, I had fun with that.

XL saw the thread, and made changes to the game to prevent it happening.

Point is, people absolutely will play a game with the sole intent of handing out a bad time to others. Self progression isn't really a concern (past what progression needs to be made to achieve the objective), and time isn't really a concern either.

These people get the same kick from someone saying "fuck you", or "you're such a dick" as someone like me gets from killing an encounter that has stumped my guild for a month, or like someone such as yourself would get from winning a siege.

This type of gameplay is as foreign to me as it is to you. I've seen it from the outside, but I don't understand what kind of person this is - only that they exist.

Ashes absolutely will attract these people for the first 6 months of the games life, and Intrepid need to design the game around the notion that if people can do things like this, they will.

People 100% will that is why I try to raise red flags about it if there is any way systems can be exploited.

Being able to kill the bridge troll is why we need the system as designed.
    If they could have just killed that guy the problem would have resolved itself the first day.

Indeed it would.

Making the zone in question a PvP enabled zone was one of the solutions players put forward.

Most people around here know I am all for PvE content - but Ashes absolutely needs it's entire open world to be PvP enabled.
  • Yeah the challenge with owPvP is that it does not matter how much you try to restrict the bad things to happen still even the smallest loop holes will be exploited by idiots. I have never understood this mentality to do everything to just ruin other players experience but unfortunately it happens. It is actually amazing how creative "players" can be when they are finding ways to go around the rules.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Gamers.