Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What is left of the game for a PvE player?

I backed this game because it promised to be PvE friendly.  Now it appears that the direction of the game is total PvP.

Comments

• What makes you think that?
  • I'm sorry you feel like that. The devs have said that there are lots to do in both PVP and PvE, but I do understand what you mean as this was not really stated until after the Kickstarter, not everyone enjoys PvP but I hope you still enjoy the game and the world they are building. 
  • Lateana said:
    I backed this game because it promised to be PvE friendly.  Now it appears that the direction of the game is total PvP.
    @Lateana All of the PAX East gameplay videos, the gameplay demos, and some of the launch videos are all PVE based.

Sooo... where are you getting that feeling from?
  • Confused as to what changed between then and now that makes you feel its not PvE friendly lmao...You guys have no shame, its like what ive posted before saying mmo player base kills their own games before they even come out, you want a game where you can hit afk computer mobs and nothing else? Then yeah, this probably isnt for you.

Hope mmo player base starts to evolve and actually partake in 100% of the games content and not just a portion while trying to push their agenda to only support that small portion of the game.

• Hysterical to see the extreme ends of the PvP combat spectrum complaining that Ashes is either totally not PvP-friendly or totally not PvE-friendly.

:D 
  • Just because people constantly post about pvp means nothing if that by any chance is the reason for this post, the game is going to be pvx with content for both pvp and pve. Sooner or later Intrepid will tell us more about it so just sit tight and wait :3
  • Anytime PvE players see that there is open world PvP they automatically jump to the conclusion that its a PvP only game. Ashes is a PVX. They plan on focusing on both aspects of the game, but there will be instances where pvp may be forced on you in a sense. You can get killed in the open world by another player.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    That's not true. It's not an automatic jump.

Open world PvP just means the PvP is not happening in an instance.
    Players who are not hardcore PvPers will want to know how they will be protected from non-consensual PvP combat. 
    Could be via manual flags or separate servers - or, possibly, some other mechanic.

How easy it is to avoid non-consensual PvP combat will determine whether a game appears to be too PvP-centric for individual PvErs or casual PvPers.
  • This is one of the most punishing MMO's for any ganker, because of the corruption system that even makes a ganker lose his own equipped items if he is corrupted enough.

If that does not protect PvE'ers, then nothing will in my opinion. 
  • I have read Dev statements that indicate many parts of the game will require PvP to progress. It appears that PvP will be required to obtain various resources or to sell them. I am very leery of this because of my experience in Ryzom. It began as a PvE game, then introduced PvP zones that had to be traversed to progress the game. In time it became a truly hostile world for a PvE player. I and many others left after that.
  • I don't know what you mean by "need PvP to progress".
    Running caravans will have Corruption turned off, so you might be more susceptible to PvP combat if you do that. But, it could also just be a PvE encounter if you plan it well.

Sieges are scheduled well in advance, so, if you don't want to be online or nearby when sieges are happening, no one will force you to do that. You can even set up NPC minions to guard your freehold from attacks from other players during the siege while you are away.

Required to engage in Pvp combat in order to progress is not really a thing.
    Still, Ashes might be too PvP-centric for you in any case, but, we will have to wait until people can stream the gameplay to really know for sure.
  • It still sounds like a PvP game with some respite rather than a PvE game with a bit of consensual PvP. That is not how the game was promoted in Kickstart.
  • I believe it was promoted as a PVX game with both PVE and PVP being essential pillars to the games structure. Or at least, that is what I understood it to be when I read everything on their Kickstarter page. And as I re-read it to better inform myself for this thread, I am still getting that feeling.
  • Ashes is designed to be a PvX game with quite a lot of PvE, quite a lot of scheduled/situational PvP combat and some non-consensual PvP combat.
  • I hope you all are right about this, but I am still uneasy about it. I will play at least for a bit to be certain though.
  •  Now I have this amazing vision of a raid party with a hard boss. 20 PvP gankers pour out onto the area and kill the raid group and run off. 
    Party 0 xp, gankers get 125,000xp.
      Lets not fear the unknown, besides...…….
    PVP needs people like me, someone has to die.
    edited May 2018
     Depends on what seat of the isle you are sitting in. It is far more Pve friendly due to penalties that ensue more than any so call d " open world pvp" insert Dygz comment to go ahead and get it over with (( it's a Pvx game!)) yes yes calm down. The differencing opinion we have is the severity. The blue team feels it's not enough and the red team feels it's to severe. 

For years before a game was released I would have to try and guess what was the most active pvp server. However for the first time I know where ever Dygz goes that's going to be my server. Hee hee
  • I too invested in the KS, but I feel like progress has been in line with everything stated (except for some wording prior to SB).

The game, as others have said, is PvX. IS has stated that you will be able to fully function as a PvE player and a Solo player, but you will miss out on content. That means you can reach max level and do solo stuff, but you won't be able to do all of the content solo/PvE.

That said, PvP players will have to PvE. If they don't it's unlikely they gain enough resources from PvP to maintain their guilds, acquire the equip. they want, or put gold in their pockets. If PvP is consensual they gain less resources and caravans will likely not drop enough gear to deck out a guild.

Hence the PvX.

I could be wrong. Hopefully this discussion doesn't end in "corruption is okay" vs. "corruption is too much." Good luck!
    edited May 2018
    No one can do all of the content in Ashes.
    It's not a static, themepark game.

PvPers trying to avoid boss mobs attacking their cities seems a bit bizarre.
    You could focus gaining loot from just caravans, I suppose, but even caravans have some NPC guards.

But, the hope is that combat will be so organic, we're not really going to be thinking about whether the opponents attacking our caravans or cities are NPCs or player characters.
    Instead we will focus on defending our property, regardless.
  • Dygz said:
    Players who are not hardcore PvPers will want to know how they will be protected from non-consensual PvP combat. 
    All PVP is non-consensual.
  • Davlos said:
    Dygz said:
    Except for Arenas, Caravans, Castle Sieges, and Node Sieges you are correct.
  • If anything I personally wish there was more PvP mechanics. There is a very heavy presence of PvE mechanics already stated.
  • If I am attacked, and I flag purple to fight back, to me that is consensual.
    If I stay green, it's because I wasn't ready and don't want to.
    If I am flagged purple running about, anyone that engages me in PvP would be consensual.
  • It's not necessarily consensual. It may simply be the lesser of two evils.
    If everyone were courteous enough to not kill greens when they don't fight back, it might be apt to say that fighting back is consensual.
    But, when the reason to fight back is to avoid higher death penalties and loss of resources, that is fighting back out of duress, not consent.
    "Fight me or I will kill you" is not consent.
  • Zastro said:
    Davlos said:
    Dygz said:
    • Arenas are irrelevant, where no one really stands to lose anything if they win or lose. WoW & SWTOR Battlegrounds + Arenas and the like have made PVP of this nature more or less meaningless. Who cares about having an uber high rating if you're in arenas all the time, but hold no territory?
    • Caravans and sieges will have carebear types who are on the receiving end of this, and will still find some raison d'être through mental gymnastics to claim being attacked in these scenarios was "unfair" or "griefing".
  • I don't see what the problem is really.
    The corruption penalties are so high, that is eliminates almost all ganking, since most PvP'ers don't gain anything by killing greenies.

We are better off joining in Sieges and ganking Caravans than to attack random greenies.
  • Everything besides killing another player.
  • Zinnie said:
    I don't see what the problem is really.
    The corruption penalties are so high, that is eliminates almost all ganking, since most PvP'ers don't gain anything by killing greenies.

We are better off joining in Sieges and ganking Caravans than to attack random greenies.
    Right. That is the hope.
    We shall see.
  • Davlos said:
    Zastro said:
    Davlos said:
    Dygz said:
    • Arenas are irrelevant, where no one really stands to lose anything if they win or lose. WoW & SWTOR Battlegrounds + Arenas and the like have made PVP of this nature more or less meaningless. Who cares about having an uber high rating if you're in arenas all the time, but hold no territory?
    • Caravans and sieges will have carebear types who are on the receiving end of this, and will still find some raison d'être through mental gymnastics to claim being attacked in these scenarios was "unfair" or "griefing".
    Arenas are not irrelevant to this topic or to the claim you made.

Carvans and Sieges are PVP zones. The corruption system doesn't affect people in them, so people know beforehand that doing those activities will 100% make them PVP targets, so signing up for them is giving consent for PVP. No amount of mental gymnastics can get a person out of that one. 
  • If a PvE flagged character is killable, no matter the penalties, then that character is just food for griefers and those who are just plain mean-spirited.
This discussion has been closed.