Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Macros in Ashes?

Comments

• Options
    vmangman wrote: »
    rikardp98 wrote: »
    Warth wrote: »
    there won't be supported/legal macros in Ashes.
    That was confirmed by intrepid a long time ago

Aye - thank the gods, for this! I want to say it was either an interview done before the monthly update videos, or in one of the very early Q&A's at the end of an early monthly update video.

Yours truly used macros for controlling battle droids and for certain gathering stuff in Star Wars: Galaxies. In essence, it is a form of cheating. I was able to walk away for hours and leave my character logged in, to gather things like resources or sub-components.

I don't think there will be anything that can be done about out-of-game, keyboard-and-mouse related macros, though. Yours truly has never used any of these, so I wouldn't be able to tell you, for certain. As satisfying as it can be to invent, write, and execute macros in other games, I'm grateful for the fact that AoC will not support actual, in-game macros.

I do believe that being able to make a script (advanced macro) so you can leave the computer and still move and do action in game should be illegal.

However, with a in-game macro IP can limit the macros so no more than one action (GCD) can not be used. Like I'm wow classic, you can't not use "while" or "wait" commands to wait for the GCD to run out.

When I say macro I mean very simple commands like

/Cast [target=mouseover, exist, help][help][@targettarget,help][target=player]"spell"

Or

/Cancelaura Greater Blessing of Salvation
    /Startattack
    /Cast Maul

Or

/Pull 7

Or

/Equip The end of dreams
    /Equip Therazanes Touch

Simple macros and not scripts.

The problem with what your suggesting is that someone who uses those macros has a slight edge over someone who doesn't. I am then forced to learn and use those macros as well. I am trying to play a character in a fantasy world... I don't want to have to worry about setting up macros and scripts.

Non of the macros I have given as an example give me an advantage over other players. They are just time saving macros that makes my life little easier. Like the equipment macro, I can press a button outside if combat to equip different gear instead of opening my back and putting it on (not in combat). The mouse over macro is personal taste, some like to press the raid frames, some like to press F# keys, and some like to use mouse over macro so I don't have to click and then heal (not an advantage).
    The start attack macro is so I don't have to right click the mob to make sure Im attacking the target.

Macros I'm wanting and like so the kind that saves you some time and makes you press less button (mostly outside if combat). I don't want scripts that makes you do a full rotation by pressing one button.

Since when is saving time in combat not an advantage? Macros like canceling auras and switching out your weapons mid combat absolutely gives you an advantage.

I think that these macros are an advantage partially due to poor game design, but you can't say that speeding up processes for you is not an advantage... that's literally the whole advantage. And if I don't have a cancel aura macro, or focus target casting macros, or weapon switching macros then I am slower and therefore worse than someone who uses those macros.

Yes most of these macros are wow classic focused and wont apply to other games, and they may give some advantage in pve because you can focus more effort on your position and what the boss is doing. non of them will be used in pvp and will maybe give you a few dps/hps extra. Nothing game changing or a must to have. I played a long time without macros and did just as fine. But with them It just makes everything smoother and simpler for me, I need more keybinds and need to remember more buttons, and most macros are usefull outside of combat.

Most pvp macros are like big nongcd CD in to a spell, but you can just as fast press 1 and then 2 without a macro.

A system that limits macro won't be game changing or a must, they will be mostly a convince outside of combat. And I don't want a macro system where on can literally write scripts so you can do your rotation afk.
  • Options
    Jeetoph wrote: »
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Using additional coding to perform actions quicker than should be possible in order to gain an advantage over an opponent. I remember PvP in ESO where I'd be hit 14 times in a single second, cos the other player was spamming macros. Cheating, plain and simple.

How do you prevent this if the spam is coming from the keyboard hardware?

That's a good point. If it's possible to hit you 14 times in a second with a macro it's also possible to do it manually. That's just bad game design at this point.

That's not entirely correct. A macro can easily send 100s of inputs within the same second, which you physically can't.
  • Options
    Jeetoph wrote: »
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Using additional coding to perform actions quicker than should be possible in order to gain an advantage over an opponent. I remember PvP in ESO where I'd be hit 14 times in a single second, cos the other player was spamming macros. Cheating, plain and simple.

How do you prevent this if the spam is coming from the keyboard hardware?

That's a good point. If it's possible to hit you 14 times in a second with a macro it's also possible to do it manually. That's just bad game design at this point.

That's not entirely correct. A macro can easily send 100s of inputs within the same second, which you physically can't.

Well the game can't not or should not br able to process 100 of inputs on the same second. And for that matter some people can physically click that fast, just look at the star craft professional
  • Options
    VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Aye - thank the gods, for this! I want to say it was either an interview done before the monthly update videos, or in one of the very early Q&A's at the end of an early monthly update video.

Yours truly used macros for controlling battle droids and for certain gathering stuff in Star Wars: Galaxies. In essence, it is a form of cheating. I was able to walk away for hours and leave my character logged in, to gather things like resources or sub-components.

I don't think there will be anything that can be done about out-of-game, keyboard-and-mouse related macros, though. Yours truly has never used any of these, so I wouldn't be able to tell you, for certain. As satisfying as it can be to invent, write, and execute macros in other games, I'm grateful for the fact that AoC will not support actual, in-game macros.

I do believe that being able to make a script (advanced macro) so you can leave the computer and still move and do action in game should be illegal.

However, with a in-game macro IP can limit the macros so no more than one action (GCD) can not be used. Like I'm wow classic, you can't not use "while" or "wait" commands to wait for the GCD to run out.

/Cast [target=mouseover, exist, help][help][@targettarget,help][target=player]"spell"

Or

/Startattack
    /Cast Maul

Or

/Pull 7

Or

/Equip The end of dreams
    /Equip Therazanes Touch

The problem with what your suggesting is that someone who uses those macros has a slight edge over someone who doesn't. I am then forced to learn and use those macros as well. I am trying to play a character in a fantasy world... I don't want to have to worry about setting up macros and scripts.

Non of the macros I have given as an example give me an advantage over other players. They are just time saving macros that makes my life little easier. Like the equipment macro, I can press a button outside if combat to equip different gear instead of opening my back and putting it on (not in combat). The mouse over macro is personal taste, some like to press the raid frames, some like to press F# keys, and some like to use mouse over macro so I don't have to click and then heal (not an advantage).
    The start attack macro is so I don't have to right click the mob to make sure Im attacking the target.

Macros I'm wanting and like so the kind that saves you some time and makes you press less button (mostly outside if combat). I don't want scripts that makes you do a full rotation by pressing one button.

Since when is saving time in combat not an advantage? Macros like canceling auras and switching out your weapons mid combat absolutely gives you an advantage.

I think that these macros are an advantage partially due to poor game design, but you can't say that speeding up processes for you is not an advantage... that's literally the whole advantage. And if I don't have a cancel aura macro, or focus target casting macros, or weapon switching macros then I am slower and therefore worse than someone who uses those macros.

Yes most of these macros are wow classic focused and wont apply to other games, and they may give some advantage in pve because you can focus more effort on your position and what the boss is doing. non of them will be used in pvp and will maybe give you a few dps/hps extra. Nothing game changing or a must to have. I played a long time without macros and did just as fine. But with them It just makes everything smoother and simpler for me, I need more keybinds and need to remember more buttons, and most macros are usefull outside of combat.

Most pvp macros are like big nongcd CD in to a spell, but you can just as fast press 1 and then 2 without a macro.

A system that limits macro won't be game changing or a must, they will be mostly a convince outside of combat. And I don't want a macro system where on can literally write scripts so you can do your rotation afk.

Those macros and more can absolutely be used in PvP and are very useful and macros in WoW absolutely give the user an edge over someone who doesn't. Especially in PvP.
  • Options

Well, and I'm sure the folks who really want it can get a macro keyboard.

The issue was the allowance of dual or multi-instancing the game - which has been confirmed, should you or your household endeavor to have more than one account. Fortunately, macro keyboards are only able to function in a single instance at a time.

• Options
    HeruwolfHeruwolf Member
    edited January 2021
    Those macros and more can absolutely be used in PvP and are very useful and macros in WoW absolutely give the user an edge over someone who doesn't. Especially in PvP.

You're gonna have a hard time convincing most WoW players that macros are a bad thing. Currently in WoW you can't do anything more with the Macro system that I can't do with just the macro buttons on my keyboard. I can setup a macro on my keyboard to click two buttons at the same time, giving me an advantage over someone who's playing with a dell keyboard. However, add in the macro system in game, now I have no advantage. Most of the macros that one builds in WoW is to get around bad game mechanics to begin with. For example:

#showtooltip
    /use Barbed Shot
    /use [@ pettarget]Claw
    /use [@ pettarget]Bite
    /use [@ pettarget]Smack

The reason a macro like this is used to begin with is because the auto cast system that Blizzard implemented can randomly delay the cast of the hunters pet ability by 1-4 seconds, varying wildly. Yet, you could also just bind this same ability to a different hotkey and then have your keyboard press that button every time you push any of your other rotational abilities.

Same thing as I previously stated:

#showtooltip
    /use [@ cursor]Volley

This macro simply auto confirms the placement of the ground target ability rather than having to left click to confirm. I can tell you right now, this macro has failed me an equal amount of times as it has helped me. The amount of times this macro ends up putting my Volley on some random lip of the wall texture instead of on the ground where the mobs are is infuriating.

Now don't get me wrong, if Intrepid builds systems that don't have this issue and has an auto confirm option, then awesome, no complaints. But the reality is that they probably won't. I'd welcome to be proven wrong. There will always be someone somewhere that wants to be able to do something else with an ability than the game allows. Macros limit that a bit. This entire thread really needs to get off of the "macros are cheating" mentality, cause it's flat wrong. This is an MMO that is being designed for PC. To tell me that you won't have ANY macros at all, is just bad design. So I have to manually type out my recruitment message for my guild every time I want to send it? Or would pasting it from a notepad be an option. Is ctrl+v not considered a macro as well? Cause I can tell you right now, it is.
  • Options
    Heruwolf wrote: »

You're gonna have a hard time convincing most WoW players that macros are a bad thing. Currently in WoW you can't do anything more with the Macro system that I can't do with just the macro buttons on my keyboard. I can setup a macro on my keyboard to click two buttons at the same time, giving me an advantage over someone who's playing with a dell keyboard. However, add in the macro system in game, now I have no advantage. Most of the macros that one builds in WoW is to get around bad game mechanics to begin with. For example:

#showtooltip
    /use Barbed Shot
    /use [@ pettarget]Claw
    /use [@ pettarget]Bite
    /use [@ pettarget]Smack

The reason a macro like this is used to begin with is because the auto cast system that Blizzard implemented can randomly delay the cast of the hunters pet ability by 1-4 seconds, varying wildly. Yet, you could also just bind this same ability to a different hotkey and then have your keyboard press that button every time you push any of your other rotational abilities.

#showtooltip
    /use [@ cursor]Volley

This macro simply auto confirms the placement of the ground target ability rather than having to left click to confirm. I can tell you right now, this macro has failed me an equal amount of times as it has helped me. The amount of times this macro ends up putting my Volley on some random lip of the wall texture instead of on the ground where the mobs are is infuriating.

Now don't get me wrong, if Intrepid builds systems that don't have this issue and has an auto confirm option, then awesome, no complaints. But the reality is that they probably won't. I'd welcome to be proven wrong. There will always be someone somewhere that wants to be able to do something else with an ability than the game allows. Macros limit that a bit. This entire thread really needs to get off of the "macros are cheating" mentality, cause it's flat wrong. This is an MMO that is being designed for PC. To tell me that you won't have ANY macros at all, is just bad design. So I have to manually type out my recruitment message for my guild every time I want to send it? Or would pasting it from a notepad be an option. Is ctrl+v not considered a macro as well? Cause I can tell you right now, it is.

Damn I should have talked to you about this first before posting xD you really said everything that I wanted to say and more 👍
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In SWG they removed the cooldowns which meant Macros would enable one-shots with all skills being activated and active at the same time. It caused chaos for more than 7 days until they hot fixed the mess they caused. I do not see why a seasoned team such as IS can't cover the parameters in cohesion with the functionalities. Macros in themselves are not bad or cheats, its when supportive elements to prevent cheats and bad actors do not exist.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

Or

/Startattack
    /Cast Maul

Or

/Pull 7

Or

/Equip The end of dreams
    /Equip Therazanes Touch

Changing weapons in pvp isn't good - you loose one GCD

Mouse over macro is pretty good in pvp, but because of all the moments and targeting you will do on enemies with won't matter

Cancel aura is only useful in pve classic because fo the buff limit.

The only useful macros that I can think of is trinket/cd to spell macro, but those you will only use every 2-10 minutes or so xd

So no, most macros are useful outside of combat or pve content.

Ps. I have played pvp arena and bgs, and I have never looked or needed macros. Now their might be a class or person that uses macros in pvp a lot, but that is not my experience. Please tell me your experience with pvp macros.
  • Options
    Not having a Global Cooldown is in general bad for any game. Further, from the way the combat system looks right now, there is no GCD, and the "q button spam" looks annoying as all hell. Granted all subject to change ofc, but I can tell you right now, this combat system looks abusable.
  • Options
    At least the quick time events have been removed and also the focus has been removed (last I was aware). The combat was so slow and clunky at first, luckily feedback prevailed. I haven't seen a GCD either. There will be no animation cancels, I do not know if there will be animation locks instead of a GCD. However, Animation Locks are not an ideal situation because it leads to static positions and combat should be fluid.

If it is 70 or 80 percent active combat and 30 or 20 percent tab (or vice versa) then static fights are really bad. I haven't played the MMO yet though. I don't believe it will be 75-25 percent because we have 10 skills on the hot bar at present and one skill can't be both functions to my knowledge. Perhaps there will be one skill that is both active and tab targeted for each class though.

It is difficult to Macro Active Combat anyway, Macros are more useful for side functions or ease of use functions. I hope we can change the key binds because key binds can also be considered a macro.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    HeruwolfHeruwolf Member
    edited January 2021
    That depends if the q spam ability could be theoretically macro'd into being used with other abilities.
  • Options
    It is simple to link two abilities together. That is a given in terms of Macros. Macros won't enable two abilities to be linked if there is animation lock though. One ability will always be dominant against other abilities. There are always 'weak' abilities and 'strong' abilities, its the nature of animation cancelling. In Archeage, one could throw multiple fireballs woven in-between lightning skills for example. It wasn't from macros though it was from animation cancelling.

It makes no good to muddle the different concepts though. A macro can be a single button press without scripts. I believe the combat system will be improved even further down the line. I'm not sure what q spam you refer to but a 'weak' skill will often be replaced by a 'strong skill' - namely, whichever has the fastest animation will often active in the prioritised position if animation locks are in place.

No combat system should allow two skills to activate at the same time, except perhaps buffs and active abilities in some MMOs. The difference in Ashes is Buffs are dealt with by Bards...so buffs are linked to active skills or so we've been told. It is not an issue for Abilities to have multiple functions, the issue relates to chain abilities and thus strikes 'scripts'.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

#showtooltip
    /use Barbed Shot
    /use [@ pettarget]Claw
    /use [@ pettarget]Bite
    /use [@ pettarget]Smack

#showtooltip
    /use [@ cursor]Volley

This is also for @rikardp98 .

You two must have just not been very competitive in WoW PvP. Macros will absolutely give someone an advantage over someone who does not use them. All the targeting macros you use in arenas absolutely give you an advantage because you are so much faster to react to other targets. Or macroing your pet to follow you before you drop a trap so that the warrior doesn't taunt it to break the trap?

Macros absolutely give you an advantage in PvP. If you claim that they don't give you an advantage then it probably means that you were never very competitive.
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    In SWG they removed the cooldowns which meant Macros would enable one-shots with all skills being activated and active at the same time. It caused chaos for more than 7 days until they hot fixed the mess they caused. I do not see why a seasoned team such as IS can't cover the parameters in cohesion with the functionalities. Macros in themselves are not bad or cheats, its when supportive elements to prevent cheats and bad actors do not exist.

In SWG, you were able to multi-instance and run macros to gather resources and /forage items, such as the ingredients you needed for the Ice Cream Man collection. You and I may not have considered this cheating, since we were paying for subs (3, in my case), but I'm sure there are plenty of people who would look at something like this and consider it as cheating.

Long live SWG! I played Legends for a couple more years, stating in 2016. If it had better gameplay (i.e. collision-detection that wasn't knee-high) and better graphics, I'd still be playing SWG: Legends, to this day. It was a much better game than SWTOR - even if SWTOR had far-better PvE content.

• Options
    Giant transforming spaceships should not be in Ashes.
  • Options

#showtooltip
    /use Barbed Shot
    /use [@ pettarget]Claw
    /use [@ pettarget]Bite
    /use [@ pettarget]Smack

#showtooltip
    /use [@ cursor]Volley

You two must have just not been very competitive in WoW PvP. Macros will absolutely give someone an advantage over someone who does not use them. All the targeting macros you use in arenas absolutely give you an advantage because you are so much faster to react to other targets. Or macroing your pet to follow you before you drop a trap so that the warrior doesn't taunt it to break the trap?

Macros absolutely give you an advantage in PvP. If you claim that they don't give you an advantage then it probably means that you were never very competitive.

I have never needed to use targeting marcos, and i have also not played hunter. I play Druid, yes they have some macros but non that I needed. As I said, this is my experience and from what you have said, targeting macros and the hunter macro is so simple that it's something you can do without a macro, nothing game changing or a must have.
    In pvp arena what matters is mostly positioning, interrupting and then burst damage.

• Options
    Macros can be handy but in a competitive scene, they can easily create an advantage. To be fair I am glad that Intrepid has decided to take a stance to have no Macro's / addon / etc. It even's the playing field and there is nothing wrong with that.

@rikardp98 based on your input regarding Arena's, what you mention is exactly why we do not need add-ons. People should learn how to use the terrain, their skills and etc.
  • Options
    halbarz wrote: »
    Macros can be handy but in a competitive scene, they can easily create an advantage. To be fair I am glad that Intrepid has decided to take a stance to have no Macro's / addon / etc. It even's the playing field and there is nothing wrong with that.

@rikardp98 based on your input regarding Arena's, what you mention is exactly why we do not need add-ons. People should learn how to use the terrain, their skills and etc.

That what I mean, you can not make game changing macro in pvp so since most of the skill come from skill and terrain awareness. Macro should be a tool to simplify small things, not game changing or a must have.
  • Options

#showtooltip
    /use Barbed Shot
    /use [@ pettarget]Claw
    /use [@ pettarget]Bite
    /use [@ pettarget]Smack

#showtooltip
    /use [@ cursor]Volley

I have never needed to use targeting marcos, and i have also not played hunter. I play Druid, yes they have some macros but non that I needed. As I said, this is my experience and from what you have said, targeting macros and the hunter macro is so simple that it's something you can do without a macro, nothing game changing or a must have.
    In pvp arena what matters is mostly positioning, interrupting and then burst damage.

Please stop talking if you don't know what you're talking about. You cannot play WoW arena at a high level without targeting macros (and other types of macros). You need to be able to instantly shadowstep kick the healer once you see him casting. Switching to him instantly with a targeting macro is how you do that effectively. Macros are absolutely an advantage in WoW PvP.
  • Options

#showtooltip
    /use Barbed Shot
    /use [@ pettarget]Claw
    /use [@ pettarget]Bite
    /use [@ pettarget]Smack

#showtooltip
    /use [@ cursor]Volley

Please stop talking if you don't know what you're talking about. You cannot play WoW arena at a high level without targeting macros (and other types of macros). You need to be able to instantly shadowstep kick the healer once you see him casting. Switching to him instantly with a targeting macro is how you do that effectively. Macros are absolutely an advantage in WoW PvP.

i will not stop talking because I'm talking from my own experience, and if you have experience with that you need targeting marcos then you should talk about that, not say "shut up".

The shadowstep+kick marco is a macro I have never used before. The target=focus is a interesting targeting mechanic that I have not really used before. I can see situations were this macro can really save time and give you an advantage. I'm not really sure what to think about that, being able to store a target by /focus is extremely powerful.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

#showtooltip
    /use Barbed Shot
    /use [@ pettarget]Claw
    /use [@ pettarget]Bite
    /use [@ pettarget]Smack

#showtooltip
    /use [@ cursor]Volley

i will not stop talking because I'm talking from my own experience, and if you have experience with that you need targeting marcos then you should talk about that, not say "shut up".

The shadowstep+kick marco is a macro I have never used before. The target=focus is a interesting targeting mechanic that I have not really used before. I can see situations were this macro can really save time and give you an advantage. I'm not really sure what to think about that, being able to store a target by /focus is extremely powerful.

Yes, it's very powerful. You need to stop talking because I explained to you how these macros give an advantage if you're trying to be competitive in PvP and even though you have clearly not tried to be competitive in PvP, you contradict me and act like you know what I'm talking about. If you have not used a basic macro such as shadowstep kick (or something similar for whatever class you are playing) on your focus target so that you can interrupt the healer's cast, then you do not understand how powerful macros can be.

These macros are insanely powerful and you cannot compete in WoW PvP without them. Period. Macros can give great advantages to those who use them and I am glad that Intrepid doesn't allow them.

Edit: What you're doing is the equivalent of you telling me that cars aren't faster than bikes because you never drive over 20 mph... just because you don't use macros (the car) to their full potential, it doesn't mean that the macros (the car) can't do a lot more than what you're using them for.
  • Options

#showtooltip
    /use Barbed Shot
    /use [@ pettarget]Claw
    /use [@ pettarget]Bite
    /use [@ pettarget]Smack

#showtooltip
    /use [@ cursor]Volley

Yes, it's very powerful. You need to stop talking because I explained to you how these macros give an advantage if you're trying to be competitive in PvP and even though you have clearly not tried to be competitive in PvP, you contradict me and act like you know what I'm talking about. If you have not used a basic macro such as shadowstep kick (or something similar for whatever class you are playing) on your focus target so that you can interrupt the healer's cast, then you do not understand how powerful macros can be.

These macros are insanely powerful and you cannot compete in WoW PvP without them. Period. Macros can give great advantages to those who use them and I am glad that Intrepid doesn't allow them.

Edit: What you're doing is the equivalent of you telling me that cars aren't faster than bikes because you never drive over 20 mph... just because you don't use macros (the car) to their full potential, it doesn't mean that the macros (the car) can't do a lot more than what you're using them for.

Well you never explained before mentioning the focus target macro.

What I'm saying is that I want the car, but I also want a speed limit of 20mph. So the bikes can just be as fast as the car but the car may be little more convenient.

When it comes to the targeting macro I was wrong, but I also think that it won't be a problem in ashes since it will use a hybrid system.
  • Options
    In SWG, you were able to multi-instance and run macros to gather resources and /forage items, such as the ingredients you needed for the Ice Cream Man collection. You and I may not have considered this cheating, since we were paying for subs (3, in my case), but I'm sure there are plenty of people who would look at something like this and consider it as cheating.

Long live SWG! I played Legends for a couple more years, stating in 2016. If it had better gameplay (i.e. collision-detection that wasn't knee-high) and better graphics, I'd still be playing SWG: Legends, to this day. It was a much better game than SWTOR - even if SWTOR had far-better PvE content.

Multiboxing is a different form of cheating. I'm against multiboxing but the motion was passed. I too would consider resource gathering and crafting macros as cheating. My point was more tailored to combat though (As I usually don't craft or collect resources). I will be using my MMO Mouse regardless and will run the keybind macros accordingly. I won't be running scripts, multi-instances or afk gathering. I also won't run macro queues for skills either.

It is difficult to assess either the need or the lack of need for macros until I've played the game, however, I play all MMOs with my MMO Mouse and I will also play Ashes with my MMO Mouse.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Looch_Looch_ Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Its just the sad truth of it. MMO mouse and keyboard will provide macros for combat. Any competitive advantage will be used and abused. You will be at a distinct disadvantage if you don't use a macro mouse and or keyboard in PVP/PVE combat.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Macros and Animation Cancelling won't be needed. The combat is simplistic, you can't even dodge due to animation locks. I can't wait to see the march combat update and the updates to combat beyond march. I can't wait to see all 8 Archetypes working together, its a shame the Devs have to keep using health and mana cheats in order to showcase the combat.

It doesn't bode well because the basic skills will be augmented at higher levels. If the basic skills remain so static then problems will arise with player retention. I'm not sure if augments will remove the static disposition though.

Edit: Spelling Mistakes.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited February 2021
    PollexTroy wrote: »
    Its just the sad truth of it. MMO mouse and keyboard will provide macros for combat. Any competitive advantage will be used and abused. You will be at a distinct disadvantage if you don't use a macro mouse and or keyboard in PVP/PVE combat.

There has been a very long history of MMOs, where the Mouse/Keyboard macros were flagged by the MMO's anti cheating system and led to bans, which sparked the usual "i got banned for no reason" hate threads in the forums).

It comes down to one simple thing, If the macro offer functionalities, that go against the terms of service, you may get banned, whether it's utilizing Keyboard/Mouse software, a 3rd party program or a bug in the game internal system (assuming of course, that their anti-cheating systems work properly).

Unless Intrepid installs a rootkit, they wouldn't be able to differentiate between inputs through third party software and inputs through keyboard/mouses anyway.
  • Options

Yeah that's true, just as keybinds is a

There has been a very long history of MMOs, where the Mouse/Keyboard macros were flagged by the MMO's anti cheating system and led to bans, which sparked the usual "i got banned for no reason" hate threads in the forums).

It comes down to one simple thing, If the macro offer functionalities, that go against the terms of service, you may get banned, whether it's utilizing Keyboard/Mouse software, a 3rd party program or a bug in the game internal system (assuming of course, that their anti-cheating systems work properly).

Unless Intrepid installs a rootkit, they wouldn't be able to differentiate between inputs through third party software and inputs through keyboard/mouses anyway.

How about special made keyboards like the razer taurus, or a mouse with side buttons? Should these also be against tos? And if so, what kind of keyboard and mouse should be allowed?

I personally don't think ashes will be a game where one need combat macros, I just feel like macro is very useful outside of combat when it comes to changing gear with /equip commands, saving curtain texts like "Enchanter LFW...." (I know there will be shops but advertisement is always good). If IP implement a in-game macro system they will have full control over the macros and can easily identify macro from their own system.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    The UI is very basic at present. On the face of the matter, macros would be a great addition because you can't add weapons to Quick Slots and thus use the Quick Slots to equip direct from inventory. The UI isn't finished yet though, if they allow us to have extra hot bars which can be key bound and not for active skills, then the issue would be a rather mute point.

In my own experience, Anti-Cheat Software don't often attack the mouse drivers or the keyboard drivers. Even if I don't use Macros, the software will still be on my system. It is not illegal to have buttons on the side of your mouse for thumb activation. There might be clauses over Third Party Software (Windows OS is a Third Party Software), but, they have not stated anything about Hardware Limitations except to state Multi-Boxing will be allowed.

Edit: I forget the month it was stated, but, even some of the Devs use MMO Mice.

Double Edit: I'd even go far enough to state, that, when I reviewed Ashes before a purchase, I literally checked that it is perfect for an MMO Mouse, because an MMO Mouse has more than 10 Buttons. An MMO Mouse isn't as useful in WoW for example, but, any MMO with limited skills an MMO Mouse is perfect.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

Yeah that's true, just as keybinds is a

How about special made keyboards like the razer taurus, or a mouse with side buttons? Should these also be against tos? And if so, what kind of keyboard and mouse should be allowed?

I personally don't think ashes will be a game where one need combat macros, I just feel like macro is very useful outside of combat when it comes to changing gear with /equip commands, saving curtain texts like "Enchanter LFW...." (I know there will be shops but advertisement is always good). If IP implement a in-game macro system they will have full control over the macros and can easily identify macro from their own system.

Macros =/= hardwarer with additional buttons.

Hardware is never straight out banned. Utilizing it in a way that goes against TOS on the other hand usually is.

I do agree, that pure chat macros should be allowed, but if that interferes with their automatic detection system, then i'm all for not allowing it