Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The problem with having “Tank” as a class name

Comments

• Options
    rikardp98rikardp98 Member
    edited February 2021
    Sathrago wrote: »
    rikardp98 wrote: »
    Isn't cleric a priest that is heavily connect to holy power or the light. So all other healing powers that exist will not be used, meaning that cleric is, from my understanding of the word (english is not my first language), pretty narrow when it comes to magic usages.

So I went to see if I missed anything on lore for the cleric and discriptions. Surprisingly the excerpt on the wiki does not even mention the gods. Which I find odd, so perhaps they are taking a fresh perspective on the "cleric" and changing what it would normally mean. This might sound odd but read this and you will hopefully get what im trying to say.

In a world often fraught with peril, a Cleric is never wanting for friends. They can protect their allies in a number of ways, and when necessary, snuff the life out of others. As masters over the very essence of vitality, they can sense the broken and corrupted... The strands of this essence connect everything and everyone. Clerics find themselves particularly attuned to the threads that channel life and motive energy. By reinforcing these tendrils, they can heal and even resurrect those that have been wounded. By tearing them, they can steal energy from their foes, turning their enemies’ powers against them amid the frenzied heat of battle.

This would explain why all clerics can heal, but leaves room for clerics to branch out from said healing into other forms of magic and might.

Yeah that sounds good, Thanks for the information!

I think I need to go back and read through the archetypes again, been A while since I did.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    First, I don't really care about this. It's an archetype, not the name for an actual class. To me it's "whatevs".

That said, why not go German and opt for Panzer? At least that means armored/a coat of mail. Or the old French word Pancier?

Or call it Coconut. If you're a bloodthirsty Ancient boss you can cut off the head, put in a straw (plastic, because they want to corrupt nature) and drink the insides, while holding the hard shell.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Marcet wrote: »
    If they leave it like that people will laugh at it forever, now and 10 years after the game is released.
    It makes no sense to anyone, it's not the end of the world, but it's a thing too dumb to let it pass with the seriousness this project has.

Trust me 10 years after game release people will still ridicule and ask why "tank" is an archetype name.

It boggles my mind that you cannot accept calling the archetype tank when you will be calling the class "tank" the entire time you play the game.

But if they spec damage, they aren't a tank. You would shackle a double wielding man-child with such shame?
  • Options
    kill wrote: »
    Tank is a role.
    DPS is a role
    Healer is a role

Tank is not a class in the same way that DPS and Healer are not classes. Tank/DPS/Healer define the specific role of other classes given the situation the solo player or group is in but they are not classes themselves.

Not sure why this is so difficult for folks to grasp lol.

Hit the nail on the head. This really doesn't require any further explanation.
    Noaani wrote: »
    Tank as a class name is perfect fine, if we are given an in game reason as to where the name came from. This need be nothing more than someone thousands of years earlier looking at someone in full plate armor and commenting that they look like a metal water tank, and that name just sticking.

I disagree entirely and I think your solution to justify the name is laughable at best. A lack of context isn't the issue. We all know why Intrepid is using the name Tank and some half-assed lore isn't going to change that.
    Maciej wrote: »
    @Noaani good god man, that was painful to read. Have a nice day.

It's glaringly apparent that this person loves to hear themselves talk. Honestly, their condescending nature in this thread is just gross. @Noaani - Get over yourself.

Regarding the name change, I don't think it's a massive issue but I certainly understand why it should happen.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Adhonis wrote: »

I disagree entirely and I think your solution to justify the name is laughable at best. A lack of context isn't the issue. We all know why Intrepid is using the name Tank and some half-assed lore isn't going to change that.
    Yeah, we all know they called it that because that is what players are going to call the class regardless. This is the number one reason why players straight up shouldn't have an issue with the name.

As I've said a few times in this thread though, different people have different issues with the name.

If your issue is that you find the name immersion breaking, then all Intrepid need to do is provide an in game rationalization for that name. I have provided one possible rationalization they could use, if they wanted.

On the other hand, if that is not your issue with the name, then obviously you aren't going to care if they rationalize it in game or not. As such, that suggestion is not aimed at you.

Suggesting that the issue YOU have with it is the only issue ANYONE has with it (as you are doing here) is a fairly clear sign of a superiority complex.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's glaringly apparent that this person loves to hear themselves talk. Honestly, their condescending nature in this thread is just gross. @Noaani - Get over yourself.

Remind me not to hunt with you Adhonis. I'm not favoured by Aphrodite.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Suggesting that the issue YOU have with it is the only issue ANYONE has with it (as you are doing here) is a fairly clear sign of a superiority complex.

If that isn't blatantly projecting I don't know what is.

• Options
    Tank is a role.
    DPS is a role
    Healer is a role

Tank is not a class in the same way that DPS and Healer are not classes. Tank/DPS/Healer define the specific role of other classes given the situation the solo player or group is in but they are not classes themselves.

I fully agree with this, Guardian/Defender/Protector or why not "Lethargiam "! =)
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In 5 years people will say 'What was Alpha like?'
    I will reply 'Tank was in peril: Tank took it for the team but the team didn't like Tank.'
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    WhitneyHagasMatsumotoWhitneyHagasMatsumoto Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I've been quiet, but I'm going to express my opinion clearly.

What disturbs me more than anything is the endless verbal chess going on in this forum where there are so many people with passion for the game.

This is a loss to the game's growing appeal, wouldn't you say?
    You should put your passion into more useful discussions.

Let's moderate the discussion and leave it to the IntrepidStudios folks to decide.
  • Options

If that isn't blatantly projecting I don't know what is.

You are suggesting that all opinions must be the same as yours, I am offering a potential solution for people that happen to hold one specific opinion other than the one I have.
  • Options
    Blund wrote: »
    Tank is a role.
    DPS is a role
    Healer is a role

I fully agree with this, Guardian/Defender/Protector or why not "Lethargiam "! =)

The reason I dont think the first three here are appropriate are because they dont fully encompass what the tank archetype is.

The tank role is as much about control as it is protecting, and none if the above really depict that as well as the word tank does.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Atama wrote: »
    I will call out Intrepid for their mistakes.
    As you no doubt know, so will I.

I just don't consider this to be a mistake.

I respect your disagreement.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Im personally fine with it being called tank but if i would change it to anything else I'd just call it Guard
  • Options
    I've been quiet, but I'm going to express my opinion clearly.

What disturbs me more than anything is the endless verbal chess going on in this forum where there are so many people with passion for the game.

This is a loss to the game's growing appeal, wouldn't you say?
    You should put your passion into more useful discussions.

Let's moderate the discussion and leave it to the IntrepidStudios folks to decide.

not much else to talk about. Give us some new stuff and we will gladly talk about that instead.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    WhitneyHagasMatsumotoWhitneyHagasMatsumoto Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Sathrago -san.
    Honestly, I agree with the fact that there is no new information and no topic to talk about ...... :s

OK!
    Let's post in the existing thread what kind of crafting system we want for AoC!
    I'm a crafting enthusiast and the lack of information is hell on earth, so I'd like to at least hear what everyone's ideal crafting system would be and have some fun with it! ;)
  • Options
    @Sathrago -san.
    Honestly, I agree with the fact that there is no new information and no topic to talk about ...... :s

OK!
    Let's post in the existing thread what kind of crafting system we want for AoC!
    I'm a crafting enthusiast and the lack of information is hell on earth, so I'd like to at least hear what everyone's ideal crafting system would be and have some fun with it! ;)

I mean, I don't really have anything to add. Everyone else has already said what I would like.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • Options
    MaciejMaciej Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    20hpoll.jpg

20h in, my prediction holds.
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited February 2021
    20hpoll.jpg

20h in, my prediction holds.

You can dislike that an author chose to name a character or item a name you dont like, but that doesn't mean they should change the story for you.

The same thing applies here. Instead of trying to micro-manage every little detail about Ashes of Creation how about just recognizing that the game cannot be perfect and sometimes the creator will do things you don't agree with.
  • Options
    TyrakkelTyrakkel Member
    edited February 2021
    Your poll drew me here, and I will admit I haven't read any other feedback, but feel the need to weigh in regardless. I've tanked a lot in other MMOs, and I selected "Indifferent but want it changed" on the poll. This isn't so much about the name, as much as the fact that names have power.

Cleric isn't called 'Healer', but if it were, I think it would have a negative effect on the playerbase. I'd wager that many people don't want to play a 'Healer', they want to play a Cleric. Clerics, in every fantasy setting, are capable of more than healing. So even in that sense, calling it a 'Healer' as an archetype name would be inaccurate. And because it's a 'Cleric', we know that's inaccurate.

But the Tank is a Tank. It doesn't have this same difference in name, and so the logical assumption is that it can only Tank. Even though my immediate thought upon learning about Ashes was that I would love to tank for my friends, I don't want to only Tank, personally, so I'm naturally pushed away from any idea of playing one to the point that I no longer even consider it.

In the end, I think keeping the archetype name as it is will lead to Tanks being significantly underplayed, to the detriment of every player looking to do content that would require one.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    You can dislike that an author chose to name a character or item a name you dont like, but that doesn't mean they should change the story for you.

You are 100% correct there.

That doesn't mean we can't collect data on this, or that I can't commit to donating 10000 euro to a charity if the data holds and they change the name <3
  • Options

You are 100% correct there.

That doesn't mean we can't collect data on this, or that I can't commit to donating 10000 euro to a charity if the data holds and they change the name <3

more power to you then.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Hello again friends! Merged in yet another newer thread about this topic - heads up that if you're going to put "(yes, again)" in your title, rather than continuing to share in the existing thread, it will probably get merged ;)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    I played City of Heroes. Tanker was an actual class name for the tanking class. I didn't care then, and I don't care now.
  • Options
    3 days in on the poll, which has been shared on Discord and Reddit on top of being here, my prediction holds. The ratios of votes have been pretty stable.

Out of 89 votes:
    • 41 voters want the name to change (including 6 who are indifferent about liking it, and 2 who do like it).
    • 25 voters want the name to remain (including 3 who are indifferent about liking it, and 1 who dislikes it).
    • 23 voters who don't care (including 5 who like the name, and 4 who don't like it).

I'd expect that there is a much larger population of people who don't care and/or are indifferent who haven't voted because, well, they don't care.

The condition I set was for the poll to prove me wrong until a fixed time, not to prove me right, so there is still a possibility that another poll could prove me wrong. That said, given the consistency of numbers here I reckon that is unlikely, so I'm happy to call these results binding wrt me donating, what say you @daveywavey?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    The condition I set was for the poll to prove me wrong until a fixed time, not to prove me right, so there is still a possibility that another poll could prove me wrong. That said, given the consistency of numbers here I reckon that is unlikely, so I'm happy to call these results binding wrt me donating, what say you daveywavey?
    I'm wondering if you know what exactly it is you've done here.

Whether it was your intention or not, you've made it so Intrepid simply can not, under any circumstance, change the name of the tank archetype.

If they do, they are then opening the entire game up to development via donation. If a donation of €10,000 is enough for Intrepid to change the name of the archetype (or if there is the appearance of them changing the archetype for that much), that means the value of the full set of names is €100,000. Based on that, I should be able to change the name of any class for €1562.50, or change a race name for €11,111.12.

I mean, the name was already set in stone (Steven has said he has no plans to change it), but what you've done is gone around and destroyed all the chisels so that even if he wanted to change it later, he can't now.

Edit to add; and in doing the above, it seems it is going to cost you €1,000.
  • Options
    I'm a big boy @Noaani, Steven is a big boy, nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. Intrepid can do nothing (spare name a charity) and I'll still donate 1k and sleep soundly at night.
  • Options
    The condition I set was for the poll to prove me wrong until a fixed time, not to prove me right, so there is still a possibility that another poll could prove me wrong. That said, given the consistency of numbers here I reckon that is unlikely, so I'm happy to call these results binding wrt me donating, what say you @daveywavey?

41 - 25 seems like a solid enough result.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I'm a big boy Noaani, Steven is a big boy, nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. Intrepid can do nothing (spare name a charity) and I'll still donate 1k and sleep soundly at night.

I'm not saying that this isn't the case.

What I am saying is that in an attempt to get the name of the archetype changed, you have guaranteed that it never will be.

I also doubt Intrepid will let anyone name a charity here either. The most likely thing is that they will want nothing at all to do with an attempt to purchase game development decisions.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    daveywavey wrote: »
    41 - 25 seems like a solid enough result.

Cool!

@LieutenantToast I've committed to donate 1000 10000* euro to charity based on the community sentiment about the issue here. Since the sentiment appears to match my prediction that there is more people in favor of changing the name than against it, per terms set on previous page here, if you or anyone else at Intrepid can name a charity I can donate to, I'll send the money asap, whether the name is changed or not :heart:.

* edit: To alleviate concerns folks might have with Intrepid over accepting charity donations for doing changes in game, I'm happy to donate 10k in full just to bring up how popular this really is to your attention, no strings attached.

dozens-of-us.gif